• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

What's the best HDMI cable to get for this TV? Using it for my PC and PS4, I want something that meets the HDR and 4k/60fps standards and is high quality but that isn't going to cost the world.

(UK btw)

The Amazon Basics cable should be fine, assuming it's available in the U.K.

ss_lemonade

Will the same settings apply to a KS9000 as well? It's what I ordered and last I read, they seem to be very similar.

AGS tracking shows my TV just arrived today at their Seattle Hub. Hopefully I receive a call pretty soon about scheduling delivery. Speaking of AGS, I think their site needs a design overhaul. It looks like something out of the 90s with those tables

hitgirl

Is there an input lag figure for - 4K, HDR, 4:4:4, 60 fps?

Flirting with an idea of a new TV given the prices I can get right now. But don't want to give up 1080p 4:4:4 sub 20ms input lag. Supersampling looks darn close to 4K native too.

Is there an input lag figure for - 4K, HDR, 4:4:4, 60 fps?

Flirting with an idea of a new TV given the prices I can get right now. But don't want to give up 1080p 4:4:4 sub 20ms input lag. Supersampling looks darn close to 4K native too.

My understanding is that you can only do 4k, HDR, 4:2:0, 60 fps due to limitations of hdmi/hdcp.

And with those settings it's 21ms according to the rtings review.

Edit: Is it possible to set the optical audio out to "variable" so that I can control the volume and mute from the TV remote? Also can anyone detail the main advantages of the 1152 Korea firmware? Thanks!

Robiin

For people not "noticing" HDR, I felt the same at first. My expectations were wrong. I assumed colors would pop and I would be blinded by light sources. Not the case.

Watch Daredevil season 1. It is generally a very dark show (most of it plays out at night/in dark rooms), and it appears dark. On traditional displays, these dark scenes would have to have their overall brightness upped many times and the blacks would become almost gray for you to see what was going on, and the overall tone would suffer. In HDR, the dark atmosphere can be exactly what it is, but you can still see what is going on in the dark.

It just means you can see finer details in your picture. Like almost transparent clouds on a bright sky, or a shadow that's barely darker than the floor it is being cast on.

I understand that 4:4:4 helps with text readability, photos, video, etc. but I don't find it to make much of a difference when actually gaming on my livingroom PC, which is 99% of what I'm using it for. Do people perceive a huge difference in-game?

I think you may be expecting the wrong things. When people think HDR they think of those a bit unnatural but fancy looking photos or the "HDR" effects in old games so when you don't get colors that "pop" you feel like you are not getting a big difference.

The thing is that HDR is supposed to just allow more color detail to be shown on screen. Not oversaturated colors. I think it makes a very noticeable difference in the games I've tried them in. Especially Uncharted looks so much nicer and subtly detailed.

I prepared myself for this. I've been following the thread and didn't expect everything to be super colorful, but I expected the difference to be noticeable. For everything to be noticeably more lifelike. I believe it actually is, I just had a hard time, well, noticing it.

I'm gonna try out those demos later that are linked up in the thread. I've heard really good things about them.

SOLDIER

It's awesome so far. No issues on the panel like clouding or anything else.

Isn't clouding pretty much unavoidable since it's an LED? Unless you're talking about an extreme level of the stuff.

Mine has a little clouding, but it doesn't seem to play a factor at all during pure black scenes.

Isn't clouding pretty much unavoidable since it's an LED?

Things like Clouding and DSE are extremely common with edge lit LCDs but if you are lucky it's possible to get a set without one or the other. My KS8000 has no clouding but I've briefly owned many LCDs in the past and at least half of them had some minor clouding.

Clockwork

I did notice one issue that might be a bug. I was watching Netflix via the app then went back to HDMI 1 (Cable box).

The image was very dim even though the tv settings were correct. I switched to HDMI 2 then back to HDMI 1 again and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Things like Clouding and DSE are extremely common with edge lit LCDs but if you are lucky it's possible to get a set without one or the other. My KS8000 has no clouding but I've briefly owned many LCDs in the past and at least half of them had some minor clouding.

My set doesn't have any clouding that I can see, but it does have a tiny bit of light bleed at the bottom that's only noticeable when looking at an extreme down angle at the TV, like when I'm standing right in front of it. Otherwise, from my seat, it looks perfect.

I did notice one issue that might be a bug. I was watching Netflix via the app then went back to HDMI 1 (Cable box).

The image was very dim even though the tv settings were correct. I switched to HDMI 2 then back to HDMI 1 again and everything went back to normal.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
I've had dimming pop up a couple times when changing inputs around to watch stuff on my PC, and also was confused as to why.

SOLDIER

For my first LCD I exchanged it three times because I didn't fully grasp was clouding was. Ultimately, clouding should have no bearing whatsoever on the picture, shouldn't it? It seems this TV has two types of black panels (sorry if I'm using the terminology wrong): an initial startup, which is where you could see some clouding, and the actual black of the picture itself (like the opening narration to Mad Max Fury Road) where you don't see any of it.

What's DSE?

DryvBy

I just got this TV last night. For my PS4 Pro to do HDR, I can't use my receiver but when I return audio from the TV to the receiver, it's only playing stereo and it sounds awful. RX-V773. Do I lose my surround sound by using HDR?

I just got this TV last night. For my PS4 Pro to do HDR, I can't use my receiver but when I return audio from the TV to the receiver, it's only playing stereo and it sounds awful. RX-V773. Do I lose my surround sound by using HDR?
I have the RX-V679 and that doesn't sound right at all.

I had to get things [tentatively] perfect
- update the firmware
- change it so that it is in 4K mode 1, instead of defaulting to 4K mode 2
You do this by holding one of the buttons while turning it on, to access a system menu
This is probably buried in the manual
- Use the on-screen menu to make sure to set the hdmi input is set to 'straight' to remove the post processing garbage
- fiddle around with expert sound settings on your samsung

As a bonus, if you enable 'HDMI control' on the receiver, the volume buttons on your samsung remote will directly control the receiver's volume. The only time I have to touch the receiver's remote is to either switch inputs, or to initially turn it on.

Edit: Post below is a much better answer, ha ha.

Clockwork

If you are doing pass through/ARC via the TV then you'll only get PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1. You will have to make sure your PS4 is set to bitstream for the latter 2 items.

I don't know about your receiver or whether it supports 4K/HDR or if you should connect directly to it.

DryvBy

If you are doing pass through/ARC via the TV then you'll only get PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1. You will have to make sure your PS4 is set to bitstream for the latter 2 items.

I don't know about your receiver or whether it supports 4K/HDR or if you should connect directly to it.

Yeah, my receiver does HDMI bypass and supports 4K. It runs just fine through it outside of the HDR issue. The problem is, according to Sony's website, the HDMI from the PS4 has to go directly to the TV.

Ronin Ray

I bought a VIZIO SB4051-C0 sound bar to go with this tv and for the life of me I can't get audio through HDMI ARC. I have messed around with this for hours and nothing I do works. I got it to work for a few minutes and turned off the TV and it hasn't worked since. I made sure I used the right HDMI ports and have messed around in the setting making sure anynet is on changed the setting to not use the tv speakers. I am at a loss with this and I don't want to use the optical cable because I would have two remotes. I am looking for any help before I return this sound bar . I couldn't find much help online.

Haines

Banned
Really annoying having to fix my audio everytime i switch hdmi on the tv everytime. I hope it's fixed. It's nonsense.

As far as updating the op with those media links. That will happen after midnight. My real life is insanely busy right now.

I bought a VIZIO SB4051-C0 sound bar to go with this tv and for the life of me I can't get audio through HDMI ARC. I have messed around with this for hours and nothing I do works. I got it to work for a few minutes and turned off the TV and it hasn't worked since. I made sure I used the right HDMI ports and have messed around in the setting making sure anynet is on changed the setting to not use the tv speakers. I am at a loss with this and I don't want to use the optical cable because I would have two remotes. I am looking for any help before I return this sound bar . I couldn't find much help online.

I was unable to get mine to work through ARC as well. It's currently hooked up via Optical and I programmed the Samsung TV remote to work as a universal remote. Less than ideal solution, but it's no longer giving me any headaches.

Ronin Ray

I was unable to get mine to work through ARC as well. It's currently hooked up via Optical and I programmed the Samsung TV remote to work as a universal remote. Less than ideal solution, but it's no longer giving me any headaches.

I wonder if the issue is the TV or the soundbar . How do you program the Samsung TV remote to work as a universal remote?

noomi

So my TV is back to turning on and switching inputs again when I power on my ps4pro or blu-ray player. I have anynet+ disabled and HDMI-CEC disabled as well.

What the....

For anybody who wishes to know what "HDR+" is in the Samsung settings I have found a review over at avforums describing the setting in detail, I will post it here.

Thanks for posting this, that is an interesting read.

I tried HDR+ initially, but opted not to use after a few tries. Might revisit it at some point in the future again.

it does have a tiny bit of light bleed at the bottom that's only noticeable when looking at an extreme down angle at the TV

I'm sure most if not all of them have this at close range and odd angles, but if the set looks good from a normal seating position then you got a good panel.

clouding should have no bearing whatsoever on the picture, shouldn't it?

What's DSE?

LCDs are constructed out of several layers. Clouding is an imperfection in one of the layers such that when light from the LEDs is emitted, a hazy white patch or pattern will appear over dark or black backgrounds.

For example, a set affected by clouding will see these "clouds" during a space scene in a movie because the background is mostly dark and yet light is being emitted by the LEDs so that the stars are illuminated. If the LED turns off entirely, like on an all-black screen, you wouldn't see it. Basically, if you don't see the "clouds" during dark scenes while watching content, you don't have clouding.

DSE, or the Dirty Screen Effect, is a similar imperfection in the panel where certain sections will have a slightly smudged or dirty appearance, even though the screen is clean. This is usually only visible in panning shots over lightly colored backgrounds such as blue sky, clouds, a soccer pitch, anime, etc. DSE is very common in large format LCDs. Due to imperfections, the screen is ever so slightly darker in those areas. This can be a real problem for games where you pan the camera around bright scenes (i.e. looking around the sky in Skyrim) It may be so slight that you only notice it out of the corner of your eye but disappears when you stare at that section because your peripheral vision is more light-sensitive than your direct gaze. You can look for DSE by using a series of gray slides going from lighter to darker but I advise you not to look for it as it is one of those things where if you know where it is, you will constantly look for it while watching.

I wonder if the issue is the TV or the soundbar . How do you program the Samsung TV remote to work as a universal remote?

It's the TV. My old Vizio TV worked perfectly with the soundbar and always output audio immediately without having to search each time it booted up.

To program the remote, go to Home > Universal Remote then in that menu, add a device, choose home theater system, search for Vizio brand, then it'll try a few options to see if they work and, ultimately, give you the option to put in your model number if the pre-set ones don't work.

I'm doing that from memory so I'm sorry if I'm a little off on it. From there, you can program other devices and assign the universal remote to them also.

BillyJack

Banned
Quick question for those with the TV. Is there a USB slot so you can just put a drive on there with a bunch of movies and watch them straight from the stick?

Quick question for those with the TV. Is there a USB slot so you can just put a drive on there with a bunch of movies and watch them straight from the stick?
Yes. Very conveniently located on a little box to the side, too. Apparently one of the better ways to watch downloaded 4K/HDR media.

Mideon

I have some clouding on a static black screen not going to take it back though if I wanted perfect black I would have paid loads on an oled.

Setting up sounds from my PC continues to be absolute hell. I still cannot find a way to connect it directly to the TV and get 5.1 59 my amp. Tried hacked the EDID for my TV, connecting the PC to the amp by optical, connecting another HDMI to the amp for sound only. Nothing will give me more that two channel audio. Nightmare.

chippy13

Setting up sounds from my PC continues to be absolute hell. I still cannot find a way to connect it directly to the TV and get 5.1 59 my amp. Tried hacked the EDID for my TV, connecting the PC to the amp by optical, connecting another HDMI to the amp for sound only. Nothing will give me more that two channel audio. Nightmare.

Under the tv settings for sound do you have it set to hdmi and then also for bitstream?

Top Bottom