• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Does anyone here have the K6000 or K6300?
Got a question regarding HDR.
My brother in laws HDR is fine for console, gets the notficiation etc
But he doesnt get it at all on the built in TV Amazon app, even when selecting the HDR content, no idea why.

connecting the PC to the amp by optical

That should allow you to get 5.1 to the amp, but you may need to turn on Dolby Digital Live (DDL) or DTS Neo PC or whatever your sound card calls it so that it converts it to a bitstream format. PCs usually output PCM by default and that will only provide stereo over optical cable. If you want 5.1, you'll have to compress it to a bitstream.

EDIT - I see you figured out another solution.

Clockwork

Yeah. The issue is that the TV reports to the PC that it's stereo only, and then the PC won't allow anything other than stereo to be output to it.

If the PC is hooked directly from the video card to the TV that is because it will only pass 2.0 PCM. The TV cannot accept any lossless audio beyond that. It will take and pass Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 if you are watching something encoded in that format (a DVD for example).

This isn't like a PS4 or Xbox One that is doing real time encoding.(unless it supports something like DD Live...NVIDIA cards don't if you are using that for sound output).

(My apologies if I am misunderstanding)

RobotVM

Alright so here is my issue. I have my Xbox One plugged into HDMI 2 port. I have my cinemate 15 plugged into my TV via optical cable. I tried to change my Xbox to 5.1 sound but it gives me an error. I then try to change my tv to Dolby Digital but it is grayed out. Any suggestions?

Edit: figured out my issue. I needed to set my Xbox to HDMI audio bitstream. Then I went to advanced sound on the tv and set it to Dolby Digital.

What bolts should I buy for wall mounting this to my wall? I have an existing mount but the bolts are too short.

My floating mount needed M8 50-inch bolts to travel through all of the mount spacers and the TV's spacers. The suggested 45" didn't quite cut it, and the mount only came with 40" ones.

Question:
I'm a bit worried about playing games like FFXV or The Last Guardian with Backlight set to 20 for HDR. Over time, does this decrease the life of the TV / bulbs?

Obviously I'm not concerned what effect two games might have, but as HDR becomes more prevalent, I expect I'll be using a technology more and more often that is meant for 2-hour movie-watching stints.

I start getting wicked eye strain after a couple hours, too...

My floating mount needed M8 50-inch bolts to travel through all of the mount spacers and the TV's spacers. The suggested 45" didn't quite cut it, and the mount only came with 40" ones.

Question:
I'm a bit worried about playing games like FFXV or The Last Guardian with Backlight set to 20 for HDR. Over time, does this decrease the life of the TV / bulbs?

Obviously I'm not concerned what effect two games might have, but as HDR becomes more prevalent, I expect I'll be using a technology more and more often that is meant for 2-hour movie-watching stints.

I start getting wicked eye strain after a couple hours, too...

With HDR enabled, the Backlight at 20 actually isn't all that bright like 95% of the time. The default light output in HDR mode is much lower than SDR.

murgo

I did it twice. You'll need reasonably wide arms and some towels to cover the sides for when you lift it up. It's doable, but - if you have any doubts - just get a second person to help you.

I did it yesterday but I don't recommend it if you are afraid to do so.

That is honestly impressive. I'd be too scared of breaking something.

Anyways, something happened, who knows what, maybe it was God's intervention or something with Samsung's or Amazon's servers, but the Prime app has FINALLY launched on my TV. Grand Tour really is glorious in 4KHDR :O

That is honestly impressive. I'd be too scared of breaking something.

Anyways, something happened, who knows what, maybe it was God's intervention or something with Samsung's or Amazon's servers, but the Prime app has FINALLY launched on my TV. Grand Tour really is glorious in 4KHDR :O

What's Grand Tour?

SOLDIER

Does Amazon Prime in the US have 4K content? I seem to recall reading that it was currently exclusive to the UK.

Also, for some reason, renaming the sources won't stick. I keep trying to rename HDMI 3 "PS4" and HDMI 4 "Xbox One", respectively, but they keep turning back to their default names/icons.

Does Amazon Prime in the US have 4K content? I seem to recall reading that it was currently exclusive to the UK.

Also, for some reason, renaming the sources won't stick. I keep trying to rename HDMI 3 "PS4" and HDMI 4 "Xbox One", respectively, but they keep turning back to their default names/icons.

There is some UHD content in amazon,like bosh,some imax free prime movies, and most amazon original shows.

but I haven't seen newer movies like the new xmen movie or the martian,ect.

Yeah, I have this problem too. Not a big deal but still annoying.

All my devices run through the one input (4) and any time I use my PC it automatically changes the icon and name to PC and I have to change it back.

All my devices run through the one input (4) and any time I use my PC it automatically changes the icon and name to PC and I have to change it back.
One of my biggest annoyances when trying to show someone how to use the tv when I'm not around.

I feel like that level of input detection works well if you had multiple hdmi sources connected to the One Connect box, but using a receiver via a single input is giving the tv a hemorrhage. I wish I could turn that auto-detect off, so I could leave it in a universal movie-mode until I play a game.

what"s the latest firmware for the 55 ks8000? my set is showing i have 1150

Depends on your region.

In the US that is the latest release. However, there is a 1152 that is intended for other regions that you can install if you choose to risk it. It adds YouTube HDR support.

In Europe the latest is 1142, and they can't update to the 1152 that's floating around.

Rbk_3

That is odd. All mine just automatically nemed themselves correctly.

Aske

That is odd. All mine just automatically nemed themselves correctly.

Mine too. I loved how the TV knew a PlayStation was plugged into it.

Based on the excellent post further up the thread, I'm looking forward to playing around with HDR+. TV looks fantastic without it though. I can't believe it's an LCD, to be quite honest. My Xbone S arrived today along with Gears 4, so now I can finally get into some HDR gaming.

Drogean

Here's a headscratcher for anyone using this a a PC monitor

go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLe18h3PDD0 and go full screen (you can also use the web browser to do this by searching "Moving STARS background")

you should notice the stars go DIM, now on your TV remote press the "home" button and notice as soon as the menu bar comes up, the stars brighten up

I can't find any setting on the TV that prevents this. Have gone through every setting HDR mode and without

I have tested all dimming settings on and off, backlight 20, everything.

I bet all of you can reproduce this too

I love the TV but dark scenes with bright lights/torches/lamps always look washed out

ReitStuff

When playing an HDR PS4 game, press the middle button on the TV controller to bring up the top toolbar, and below the resolution it should say "UHD" and "HDR".

Sorry, could you please elaborate on how to do this? What is the middle button? The home button? I don't see a top toolbar when I press the home button.

you should notice the stars go DIM, now on your TV remote press the "home" button and notice as soon as the menu bar comes up, the stars brighten up

You have to turn SmartLED on Low or High to avoid this. If it's off, the TV will dim the whole panel when you have bright elements on a dark background. With SmartLED on, it will turn on the specific LEDs near that object to keep it brighter.

Sorry, could you please elaborate on how to do this? What is the middle button? The home button? I don't see a top toolbar when I press the home button.

The middle button is the one inside the circle. It's the "OK" or "Enter" button. In some modes hitting it with nothing onscreen will show you a status bar across the top with info. It doesn't always work , and I'm not sure why. Going to your sources and selecting the input you are already on always works, though.

Does it change any settings other than the input name? I use an Intel Nuc as my HTPC and if it switched to PC mode for example that would be a big problem...

Does it change any settings other than the input name? I use an Intel Nuc as my HTPC and if it switched to PC mode for example that would be a big problem...

It changes the icon and name. This puts the set into 4:4:4 mode so that Game mode is grayed out. So I have to go change the input back to whatever and then turn on game mode to get the least amount of lag.

Depends on your region.

In the US that is the latest release. However, there is a 1152 that is intended for other regions that you can install if you choose to risk it. It adds YouTube HDR support.

In Europe the latest is 1142, and they can't update to the 1152 that's floating around.

Weird, I'm in the USA with a KS8000 and when I try to update it says 1142 is the latest version.

Drogean

You have to turn SmartLED on Low or High to avoid this. If it's off, the TV will dim the whole panel when you have bright elements on a dark background. With SmartLED on, it will turn on the specific LEDs near that object to keep it brighter.

try it yourself first before speculating what it might be. I guarantee it happens to you too

Weird, I'm in the USA with a KS8000 and when I try to update it says 1142 is the latest version.

Weird. Maybe they've pulled it due to a bug, but I and many others updated to 1150 using the on-set update feature.

try it yourself first before speculating what it might be. I guarantee it happens to you too

It does happen to me. I noticed this the other night. I had SmartLED turned off and small isolated text or images on black backround dimmed greatly. I turned it back on and the text and other items on a black screen brighted up considerably. They may still dim some but it's nowhere near the level when SmartLED is off. When SmartLED is off the whole panel dims in relation to the amount of bright/dark objects on the screen. When you bring up the menu bar, it increases the ratio of light/dark items onscreen and the panel increases light output as a result. All items become brighter.

EDIT - So what I am referring to here does happen but I am speculating that in this case the fact that the stars are moving all over the screen means that the backlight is basically having to stay on across the whole panel. So the same algorithm that dims the whole panel when SmartLED is off is still in play. As a result, the whole screen is dimmed to maintain black levels. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable this full-panel dimming.

Natels

I was about to buy a Sony XD800 which costs about 800€ but the 43" KS7500 (KS8500 in the US) costs about 950€ and is basically the same TV as the flat KS7000 so I'm gonna go with that instead since the 49" are too big for the space and much more expensive

Edit: Wrong thread

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just got mine set up. Fantastic TV. I think it is an upgrade over my Panasonic Plasma. 4K is fantastic.

My only complaint was sports at first, but once I messed with Sports Mode and blur/judder reduction and cranked the sharpness to 20, it was amazing.

ReitStuff

The middle button is the one inside the circle. It's the "OK" or "Enter" button. In some modes hitting it with nothing onscreen will show you a status bar across the top with info. It doesn't always work said:
Ok thanks, I see it now. So if the top toolbar says, 'HDMI UHD Color,' that means you've got HDR working?

MazeHaze

Banned
Fixed it - DVI cable to the amp did it. I'll have to manually change my amp to that input when I'm using it, but whatever.

Was gonna suggest this.

Strange that another hdmi didn't work though. I have an hdmi from my motherboard to the receiver for sound, and one from the gpu to the tv for video. I get some slight hiccups here and there if I don't switch the receiver before selecting my PC on the tv, but it's otherwise manageable.

BkMogul

Looks like the KS8000 is in short supply on Samsung's website, but I'm going to pull the trigger now. Kinda nervous as I haven't purchased a TV in a long time, but this thread will be a great reference.

Does anyone know if Samsung charges your card immediately upon purchase, or when it actually ships? Doesn't look like it'll go out for another 2 weeks, according to the product page.

It changes the icon and name. This puts the set into 4:4:4 mode so that Game mode is grayed out. So I have to go change the input back to whatever and then turn on game mode to get the least amount of lag.

Is there any chance this is linked to HDMI-CEC? As I usually disable that so my Harmony remote can do the legwork changing inputs etc.

Head.spawn

Finally got my PS4 Pro delivered and hooked today...

Hooked it up to my Samsung KS and I'm having an issue. Whenever i have UHD Color activated on that particular HDMI input (Input 2) it loses signal off and on. If I disable UHD Color, it works for but i cannot enable HDR.

Wtf.

I have my Xbox One S hooked up on input 1, UHD Color/HDR with no problems.

Any one come across this?

spannicus

Looks like the KS8000 is in short supply on Samsung's website, but I'm going to pull the trigger now. Kinda nervous as I haven't purchased a TV in a long time, but this thread will be a great reference.

Does anyone know if Samsung charges your card immediately upon purchase, or when it actually ships? Doesn't look like it'll go out for another 2 weeks, according to the product page.
Immediately.
Finally got my PS4 Pro delivered and hooked today...

Hooked it up to my Samsung KS and I'm having an issue. Whenever i have UHD Color activated on that particular HDMI input (Input 2) it loses signal off and on. If I disable UHD Color, it works for but i cannot enable HDR.

Wtf.

I have my Xbox One S hooked up on input 1, UHD Color/HDR with no problems.

Any one come across this?
Are you using the hdmi that came with the Pro?

Head.spawn

Immediately.

No, monoprice brand. I thought it was rated for all this good stuff though.

The one that came with PS4 is a little short my setup.. I'll try swapping it though, didn't think of that.

Fingers crossed.

legbone

Just got mine set up. Fantastic TV. I think it is an upgrade over my Panasonic Plasma. 4K is fantastic.

My only complaint was sports at first, but once I messed with Sports Mode and blur/judder reduction and cranked the sharpness to 20, it was amazing.

great to hear it's an upgrade over the panny. my buddy has a panny plasma and it's very nice. i have a un55ks9000 on it's way to me from amazon and your post made me even more hyped. i am replacing a samsung ln46a650 from 2008 that is really starting to show it's age. it has a line that looks like a water mark or something like that and who knows how long it's going to last with all the hours on it. can't wait to see the difference between my old ccfl lcd and this type of led.

Head.spawn

Immediately.

That did the trick. Thank you.

I maneuvered things around a bit and made that shit work.

Now I'm a little iffy on buying cables from monoprice. It was one of those ultra slim active rated for 4k/60fps UHD 18Gbps etc etc..

No Bueno. I hope it was a case of them sending me the wrong cable rather than their cable not being up to snuff.

That did the trick. Thank you.

I maneuvered things around a bit and made that shit work.

Now I'm a little iffy on buying cables from monoprice. It was one of those ultra slim active rated for 4k/60fps UHD 18Gbps etc etc..

No Bueno. I hope it was a case of them sending me the wrong cable rather than their cable not being up to snuff.

Was the Monoprice cable premium certified?

Is there a quick and easy way to connect regular headphones to this TV ? I haven't seen any mention of a headphone jack.

Nope. No analog out at all. Huge pain for me since my walls are wired for analog. I'm going to have to re run an optical now and trying to figure out how long of an optical cable will work.

There is also built in blue tooth, which I guess is nice but imo Bluetooth sucks for good sound.

One bad side effect of this is that you can't do variable audio out with this tv, which means I need to use the receiver to adjust the sound. Not my preference.

So I updated the firmware on my KS9000 using firmware for the KS9500 and HDR works just fine via YouTube. YouTube indicated that it's an HDR video and the backlight lights up as it should.

But now I can't get 4K videos on YouTube. Looked at the PlayStation meeting and all the 4K vids they had available along with Digital Foundry's offerings and zip, zilch, nada.

Anyone have an idea why?

spannicus

Ok KS8000GAF, I just got my 49". What am I looking for as far as defects, panel lottery etc? What is the best way to test?
I just enjoy mine. Looking for every possible defect may spoil your joy.
So I updated the firmware on my KS9000 using firmware for the KS9500 and HDR works just fine via YouTube. YouTube indicated that it's an HDR video and the backlight lights up as it should.

But now I can't get 4K videos on YouTube. Looked at the PlayStation meeting and all the 4K vids they had available along with Digital Foundry's offerings and zip, zilch, nada.

Anyone have an idea why?
Probably the firmware

legbone

It might just be marketing lingo. I was just curious since the premium certified ones are the ones I have on order. :p

i have the premium ones here (not hooked up, still waiting on tv) and my understanding is the premium ones are guaranteed to carry 4k at 60 and hdr. everything i have read about the cables said to order monoprice's "premium rated" ones. i eyeballed the slim ones for flexibility and ease of use because i do have a couple of their 1080p slim cables that work fine. but i figured "better safe than sorry". and the premium cables are plenty flexible (as opposed to some 14 year old monoprice component cables that are crazy thick, those things could cause serious damage if you whipped someone with them).

Top Bottom