• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is the TV internet wired or wireless? If wireless, maybe it's fuzzy because of poor bandwidth?

The Netflix app allows you to see what resolution the video is running in with info button so they could determine that (noting that what starts as low resolution can get gradually better)

4k player arrived today. Watched my first ultra HD movie on this TV.
ThE Revenant. My oh my.. visually.. this is one the best looking movie I've ever seen. Watching it in uncompressed 4K and in HDR is beyond amazing.

I'm definitely going to start buying ultra HD movie from now on. So so worth it.

Mad Max at 4K & HDR is mind blowing!

X-Men Apocalypse too! especially Quicksilver's scene.

Blizzje

Got my 60" from Costco all set up. Overall the picture is excellent, but the light bleed on my set is kind of killing me. Think I'm gonna have to return it, and debating whether to try another 60" or moving to a 55"/65" (or just throwing in the towel if I can always expect light bleed like this, and waiting for OLED to drop in price since my plasma has spoiled me).

LDjW744h.jpg

Every 60KS8000 I've seen (about 6 so far) have this issue. I also have the 60" model and have some light bleed which is noticeable (especially in the bottom left), but I haven't seen any panels that are entirely clean.

noomi

I decided to try the youtube and netflix apps on my PS4Pro this morning, and I noticed that when playing HDR content the TV never picked it up, backlight stayed at 7 and no HDR message. I was not in game mode by the way, switched it over to movie mode.

Do the netflix and youtube apps on the PS4 not support HDR yet? I definitely was able to watch 4k through the apps, just not HDR it seems.

Can anyone confirm?

I have a question about playing blu rays on this TV. Do I need to set something to have the TV upscale them to 4k? Does this actually make a noticeable difference? Should I turn off HDR when doing this? Thanks.

Robiin

I'm gonna take a shot at calibrating my monitor properly after this test site: www.lagom.nl/lcd-test. However on the first image (contrast), I can not see a difference between the last two bars of red and purple. I've tried to change it with every "general" setting (contrast, backlight etc) but I think I need to go to either White balance or Color space. The thing is, I have no idea what I'm doing with those settings. If I can see all bars except for the difference in the brightest reds and blues, what should I raise/lower?

colorbands.png

EDIT: I think I can see a different if I change to a cooler temperature preset. But you should be able to see it at Warm2 with the correct settings right?

laxu

I have a question about playing blu rays on this TV. Do I need to set something to have the TV upscale them to 4k? Does this actually make a noticeable difference? Should I turn off HDR when doing this? Thanks.

You should not have to turn off the HDR option, the TV should handle whether it's used or not.

noomi

All up-scaling is done automatically there is no option for it. It just works :)

-griffy-

Banned
Wait, what am I looking at here ? The background, the top and bottom ? Or the words ? The video that's playing on it makes it hard to tell what kind of problems there could be.

The light bleed along the bottom in the black bar. It's very noticeable, even in a brighter scene.

Clockwork

ThE Revenant. My oh my.. visually.. this is one the best looking movie I've ever seen. Watching it in uncompressed 4K and in HDR is beyond amazing.

Uhhh...

No.

laxu

Care to explain? So UHD 4k disc still compressed to death like YouTube 4k?

It is compressed but not "to death". YouTube 4K has a much much lower bitrate and possibly different codecs used to get it into size that is reasonable to stream. Rest assured, you won't be seeing compression artifacts watching a 4K Bluray.

Uncompressed media can take tons and tons of gigabytes so you would be probably swapping discs between a 2-3 hour movie even with Blurays.

filly

Bought one from a TV supplier that I uses for bulk purchases in the UK. Figured this should be in caps...

IT IS THE KS7000 in Europe, KS8000 ELSEWHERE.

However, despite the marginal difference in the UK the KS8000 is selling significantly more according to my supplier than the KS7000. Meaning that I think forums like and US reviews are influencing sales of the KS8000 in the UK despite their price (Cheapest currently I can find for the KS8000 in UK is £1400 vs £950 for the KS7000 in the UK).

I know that this has been said elsewhere, but it seems like you can't say it enough.

Stryph

Neo Member

I'm definitely going to start buying ultra HD movie from now on. So so worth it.

what settings did you watch it on, Movie?

Setzer

That sounds like a handshake issue. It might be your cable, but I'd bet it's the port on your OneConnect box. Have you tried using a different HDMI input? Is this happening with any of your other devices? Best thing to do is try all the variables to narrow it down.

I have all 4 ports in use and I don't have any issues with the other 3 but I'll give that a shot and try switching HDMI inputs and see if the problem still exists. Thanks for the suggestion.

laxu

Bought one from a TV supplier that I uses for bulk purchases in the UK. Figured this should be in caps...

IT IS THE KS7000 in Europe, KS8000 ELSEWHERE.

However, despite the marginal difference in the UK the KS8000 is selling significantly more according to my supplier than the KS7000. Meaning that I think forums like and US reviews are influencing sales of the KS8000 in the UK despite their price (Cheapest currently I can find for the KS8000 in UK is vs for the KS7000 in the UK).

I know that this has been said elsewhere, but it seems like you can't say it enough.

Yeah I think adding to the OP which model is the rright one in different countries would be a good idea. In the Nordic countries the model is KS7005. I really have no idea what Samsung is trying to achieve with such confusing model numbers.

bill0527

After having my 55" now for two weeks, I'm settling in to Warm1 and Dynamic Contrast to low. Come at me, bitches :)

Really wish we could have app specific settings though as I still occasionally make some adjustments.

noomi

After having my 55" now for two weeks, I'm settling in to Warm1 and Dynamic Contrast to low. Come at me, bitches :)

Really wish we could have app specific settings though as I still occasionally make some adjustments.

Also my settings.

DC low for SDR
DC med for HDR
DC off for Games

Mugaaz

I'm using my KS8000 as a PC monitor. The PC is plugged into my Yamaha V481 receiver, and then from the receiver HDMI out to the TV. When I turn off the TV and turn it back on, the display stretches off the bottom of the screen slightly. If I go into my resolution settings I can change it to something else and revert back to 4k and it fixes the issue. I'm looking to understand why this is happening in the first place and how to prevent it, any ideas?

So is it now better to use this in game mode vs PC input?

IMO, It depends on whether you are playing games or using the PC for other tasks. For general PC tasks, PC mode (4:4:4) is the way to go, if you're just playing games, I don't feel 4:4:4 is worth the cost in lag, so I use game mode.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've started using Warm 2 for everything and I can't go back
Yeah this was a hard pill to swallow, but it only took about a day for the medicine to work. Now I'm cured from harshness.

Setzer

Every 60KS8000 I've seen (about 6 so far) have this issue. I also have the 60" model and have some light bleed which is noticeable (especially in the bottom left), but I haven't seen any panels that are entirely clean.

Pretty much it's panel lottery. I'd probably return it if the light bleed is excessively bad but its pretty much something you gotta deal with if you go with LCD and if minor light bleed still bothers you then its probably best to switch to OLED.

I have the 60" as well and it does have the light bleed across the bottom and its more noticeable on the left just like yours....and its even more noticeable if I crank the backlight to 20...but it's something I'm gonna deal with because my panel has really good black uniformity with almost no clouding.

I can't get used to Warm 2 because it's so much warmer than my iPhone, which I'm constantly looking at when I play games. Outside of Night Shift, of course.

Heel

I've been fiddling around with the video apps. Curious to hear everyone's own experience.

Amazon Video app, Samsung: Switches to HDR mode at start of video, buffers to Ultra HD resolution.
Amazon Video app, PS4 Pro: Doesn't switch to HDR mode, struggles to reach HD resolution.

Anyone having this problem? I thought the PS4 Pro app was 4K ready. Both are hardwired into the same powerline adapter.

Both YouTube apps have no trouble instantly buffering up a 4K60p video (there's a "stats for nerds" option while playing a video that lets you see the true resolution and buffer info).

I don't have the 4K package for Netflix yet, but both apps get to 1080p quickly.

III-V

I've been fiddling around with the video apps. Curious to hear everyone's own experience.

Amazon Video app, Samsung: Switches to HDR mode at start of video, buffers to Ultra HD resolution.
Amazon Video app, PS4 Pro: Doesn't switch to HDR mode, struggles to reach HD resolution.

Anyone having this problem? I thought the PS4 Pro app was 4K ready. Both are hardwired into the same powerline adapter.

Both YouTube apps have no trouble instantly buffering up a 4K60p video (there's a "stats for nerds" option while playing a video that lets you see the true resolution and buffer info).

I don't have the 4K package for Netflix yet, but both apps get to 1080p quickly.

Amazon hasn't implemented HDR in their Pro app yet.

Btw, the quality will be much higher from your TV Netflix app regardless.

Robiin

I'm gonna take a shot at calibrating my monitor properly after this test site: www.lagom.nl/lcd-test. However on the first image (contrast), I can not see a difference between the last two bars of red and purple. I've tried to change it with every "general" setting (contrast, backlight etc) but I think I need to go to either White balance or Color space. The thing is, I have no idea what I'm doing with those settings. If I can see all bars except for the difference in the brightest reds and blues, what should I raise/lower?

colorbands.png

EDIT: I think I can see a different if I change to a cooler temperature preset. But you should be able to see it at Warm2 with the correct settings right?

shot in the dark but maybe there's a bit more gaf activity now?

EDIT: And on the white checkerboard test, some grey squares look almost pink. Doesn't that mean that the temperature is way wrong (I have set it to Warm2 and not changed anything further)? This page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

Heel

Amazon hasn't implemented HDR in their Pro app yet.

Btw, the quality will be much higher from your TV Netflix app regardless.

Ahh...thought I'd at least get 4K. Can barely get it to get to HD, haha.

I'd ignore the Pro apps completely, but the YouTube app keeps signing out on the Samsung. See that other people in the thread have the same problem. Hopefully they fix it.

IMO, It depends on whether you are playing games or using the PC for other tasks. For general PC tasks, PC mode (4:4:4) is the way to go, if you're just playing games, I don't feel 4:4:4 is worth the cost in lag, so I use game mode.

Sorry I thought PC mode gave less lag. So it's opposite? What am I missing vs game mode? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff lol.

Shai-Tan

Banned
OK so I ended up getting an KS8500 instead of a KS8000. Same settings for games?

Also what's the deal with this "ONE Connect" box? Is there anything negative about plugging stuff into that? Should I?

OK so I ended up getting an KS8500 instead of a KS8000. Same settings for games?

Also what's the deal with this "ONE Connect" box? Is there anything negative about plugging stuff into that? Should I?

As far as I know it's literally the same TV as the 8000 except the curve, and the 9000/9500 differences are so minimal (different casing, ota dvr support) it might as well be the same TV too.

kagete

My EPP order finally came in via AGS... and I have a light bubble right under where the Live TV icon is in this screenshot. Now i'm on hold on their support line...

Would this be something that a service visit would resolve or should I just push for the replacement? Either option seems like it will take me more than a week at this point...

gHzk5Dx33NUdDwg8a8ot8YdRRQTK-6ErgabTKigmzCdXLL0pg28TwRsXNcXmHS0PppEipeX1CqU9Gp9gouzdEnTKAMClLb9x94HlovIy6OAn_1c35t3v9l3IqW4EIUsXVbWdVhbkyhyFXFAeD2TeJeqf-YE_xbbXu-vkhqx2RWj7s1H_yUyPi1yLJilziSjsJKlO6gnr2Mr2f1ROhJKeSiAzR80ohw_IDtVmiU1-Vtsy5XpywTPkYM_PJ5rFapFWsx2dL8VGEytkLTO_Qxw_zrgJ6STHplASaa3akYuW6W0UTjvLQSewIO6PZyzHgMr1MCv9DspIl84fzyII3FdBMWAXBL7C16yiI-UBraNbTJMsUvRQgTeT3QYpACBGq8kACl5Y_IldLVM4wd3Hf_RZAbIhw4bQPN38liWiLnjSZu6VgGpEGUHExr41k6YUgJ92QlwRwPnbrSWOlo3OM-MlOLxvWJ7_wgLAIRQOqGepPvVkK_KZVMe8hu2UikdXGWV8UtiGTfIRUXMC79MdyHvAdLIeHQskmuItVzb7t_Rssuf8jtX-F99DRWgr2O0SLAGoQwQGse2eDrhvlZpDSc8gmopaG9XpWyBmDfeUbtr_XWc_40G_=w1352-h1014-no
tears.gif

Sorry I thought PC mode gave less lag. So it's opposite? What am I missing vs game mode?

4k @ 60Hz Game mode: 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 (PC Mode) : 37.4 ms

I'll let someone else share the technical explanation, but basically PC mode (4:4:4) allows for more color information and makes fonts and desktop computer tasks easier to read and use. Fonts will not look as crisp if you don't use PC mode. On the other hand, I've never been able to tell much of a difference inside a game so I opt for Game mode on my living room PC since all I ever do is game on it.

You don't have a choice. All the HDMI ports are on the One Connect box. It's fine.

My EPP order finally came in via AGS... and I have a light bubble right under where the Live TV icon is in this screenshot.

You took that photo at an odd angle that is not normal viewing. Is the defect visible when seated normally? What size is your unit?

Does the youtube app not support 4k?

Yes, it does. At least it does on firmware 1150 and 1152. I never had 1142 so I can't vouch for that one. Search for 4K video and play a few. It may just be a streaming limitation.

Head.spawn

Does the youtube app not support 4k? I was trying to watch The Game Awards at 4k last night and it was only @ 1080p.

I wish i could afford a 1000$ TV :(

Break in a new (0% APR for 12 months) credit card, enjoy it now. Break it into 12 payments yourself and force yourself to stick to it the payments.

j-wood

Does the youtube app not support 4k? I was trying to watch The Game Awards at 4k last night and it was only @ 1080p.

Break in a new (0% APR for 12 months) credit card, enjoy it now. Break it into 12 payments yourself and force yourself to stick to it the payments.

It supports 4K for sure, I've watched videos on it. Something was up with TGA stream and it wasn't doing 4k

Well heck. I'm using a Samsung js8500 so I assume PC mode is worse than the ks8000.

Thanks for explaining it.

4k @ 60Hz Game mode: 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 (PC Mode) : 37.4 ms

I'll let someone else share the technical explanation, but basically PC mode (4:4:4) allows for more color information and makes fonts and desktop computer tasks easier to read and use. Fonts will not look as crisp if you don't use PC mode. On the other hand, I've never been able to tell much of a difference inside a game so I opt for Game mode on my living room PC since all I ever do is game on it.

You don't have a choice. All the HDMI ports are on the One Connect box. It's fine.

You took that photo at an odd angle that is not normal viewing. Is the defect visible when seated normally? What size is your unit?

Yes, it does. At least it does on firmware 1150 and 1152. I never had 1142 so I can't vouch for that one. Search for 4K video and play a few. It may just be a streaming limitation.

spannicus

My EPP order finally came in via AGS... and I have a light bubble right under where the Live TV icon is in this screenshot. Now i'm on hold on their support line...

Would this be something that a service visit would resolve or should I just push for the replacement? Either option seems like it will take me more than a week at this point...

gHzk5Dx33NUdDwg8a8ot8YdRRQTK-6ErgabTKigmzCdXLL0pg28TwRsXNcXmHS0PppEipeX1CqU9Gp9gouzdEnTKAMClLb9x94HlovIy6OAn_1c35t3v9l3IqW4EIUsXVbWdVhbkyhyFXFAeD2TeJeqf-YE_xbbXu-vkhqx2RWj7s1H_yUyPi1yLJilziSjsJKlO6gnr2Mr2f1ROhJKeSiAzR80ohw_IDtVmiU1-Vtsy5XpywTPkYM_PJ5rFapFWsx2dL8VGEytkLTO_Qxw_zrgJ6STHplASaa3akYuW6W0UTjvLQSewIO6PZyzHgMr1MCv9DspIl84fzyII3FdBMWAXBL7C16yiI-UBraNbTJMsUvRQgTeT3QYpACBGq8kACl5Y_IldLVM4wd3Hf_RZAbIhw4bQPN38liWiLnjSZu6VgGpEGUHExr41k6YUgJ92QlwRwPnbrSWOlo3OM-MlOLxvWJ7_wgLAIRQOqGepPvVkK_KZVMe8hu2UikdXGWV8UtiGTfIRUXMC79MdyHvAdLIeHQskmuItVzb7t_Rssuf8jtX-F99DRWgr2O0SLAGoQwQGse2eDrhvlZpDSc8gmopaG9XpWyBmDfeUbtr_XWc_40G_=w1352-h1014-no
tears.gif
Gently squeeze the area just below it.

kagete

Ripple bubble from couch. Shipping return label might take 3 business days. After they receive it back, they can take 5-7 business days for refund. For a TV i ordered on 11/17.

SIGH. edit it's a 65"

1aDmaP2QGoiurNmrElKiUGZ6dYxrFsEL82Olfd2IKcrwRUfRvNQGVbANoJaPGBOqd-ANdO2UowCYkBlOcCiXQZHYJOt151wblwtM4v9BbLBl4UYDoXzZ7NzTXIF_xyOOXxx_H_uM8o8NupagPO_-RKaH9yBKhv7VCdTIdLub7y9AZHUJCIeOA_WqC8B-2QvvG4vGqa50f9LudAPxfxegfQCyBGUX_o-sKSADUHEChA6xOVL6ydFYEzd_SSOUIQULQpD2pt_OomLVdABZl-NhweX3pclKnpe_7mdWSxPwujJw_wMo0wq-C-SftLkwWAi8rj5IutQhj-Sxs_ZjfuuruiYAcYOdUOP4aZP3DetpblFht24AmnJbUg-hnR9a2MdVYz0GH3gesJDhz4gD6lcgqN4nmFPwSpkRwTI9Xhf8ZPXZVFlFrwOH4H3k9Qnn8MvMLGDB3CQLf9nLIGyOvVaOxgACyoc0Uy1bg1maGF3T8e0nTuKEWdp0mEyFPbTnOCK496Pt2w2oPNQSc5HHZGly0fV5cEyoe6eyQzfNg3t297UvX0E81iVeVP0h9pSkkLNklSreoJfKXGYHhXHK0d-CLZiJik2-VIwuoYPtjyvQYpC5Jlmr=w1356-h1015-no

Top Bottom