• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

When I'm already using a source, the main circle button doesn't display anything when I press it.

Maybe it's because the TV set up the ability to control the PlayStation and Xfinity natively using their remote, and it's superseding the ability to use that button to display input info?

How would I turn that off?

Thanks for helping.

I'm pretty sure 1142 is the current US firmware, and people are updating using firmware from other regions. Seems like a bad idea, IMO.

You can remove the Universal Remote feature, hit home, then look for Sources I believe (sorry not home to confirm) and look for Universal Remote, when you go in it'll list whats being controlled and you can remove Xfinity

To get info, press the 123 button on the remote, then head over to Info. If you have the Universal Remote feature set up, it might just act as the Info button for your Xfinity so it won't work properly (if you are on the Xfinity HDMI source).

All updates hit everyone differently I believe. I am in NY and I'm on 1150

Heel

To get info, press the 123 button on the remote, then head over to Info. If you have the Universal Remote feature set up, it might just act as the Info button for your Xfinity so it won't work properly (if you are on the Xfinity HDMI source).

You're the man. Works as a channel info button for Xfinity if you don't turn it off under Universal Remote, but I was more worried about PS4 HDR. Works just fine there.

For anyone curious, it's pressing "123" on the Samsung remote and going to the "i" symbol for info on your resolution/framerate/HDR for the input.

Thanks!

I remember someone saying that 1150 rolled out to existing set owners, but was then pulled due to some issues. So those of us with newer sets will still be on 1142 and unable to update, while those of you who updated before they pulled 1150 will still have it on your TV. I got my TV this week, and 1142 is "Up to date".

Heel

One more thing. Is there a way to disable the ad that shows up in the menus? Some combination in the terms and service? I didn't accept a few of the terms, but still get the ads.

Is there a way to block it in your router, maybe?

murgo

1142 is the most up to date version I can get on my German KS7090. Netflix and Amazon are definitely HDR though.

Aske

One more thing. Is there a way to disable the ad that shows up in the menus? Some combination in the terms and service? I didn't accept a few of the terms, but still get the ads.

Is there a way to block it in your router, maybe?

What ad? I said yes to everything; never seen an ad.

Flandy

Apparently my KS8000 updated itself to 1150
Hope that doesn't cause issues in the future since it got pulled

Edit: Live in the US if it matters

BillyJack

Banned
Okay so I have some settings not showing up:

Color tone warm 2 - I only have Cool or Standard
Color space auto - Native is my only option Says FUNCTION ISN'T AVAILABLE

Do I need to do something with the PS4 Pro in settings?

Heel

What ad? I said yes to everything; never seen an ad.

Left of Xfinity. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. I've seen a trial for Hulu, etc.

Dsg80Tj.jpg

In the U.S. if that matters. Kind of ridiculous to be getting ads on a mid/high end television.

Aske

In the U.S. if that matters. Kind of ridiculous to be getting ads on a mid/high end television.

Yep, that's unacceptable. I'm in Canada, so I'd imagine if you're getting them, so will I. I also doubt there's a way to turn them off, because who would leave them on?

Which apps do you have downloaded? I just have the default apps, and Crave. Apparently it used to be an issue with certain apps...

A quick Google gave me this, but the advice is from 2015.

"Regardless, if you don't want to see ads in the future, there is an easy fix. Users on Reddit and the Plex forums suggest you opt out of Yahoo's Privacy Policy. This can be done by pressing the Menu button on your Samsung remote and scrolling down to Smart Hub. From there you must select Terms and Policy, followed by Yahoo Privacy Policy near the bottom of the page. Then, simply check the box to disagree with the policy."

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/samsung-smart-tv-app-ads-plex/

Okay so I have some settings not showing up:

Color tone warm 2 - I only have Cool or Standard
Color space auto - Native is my only option Says FUNCTION ISN'T AVAILABLE

1) On the TV, what mode are you in: Movie? Standard? Game? Some modes block certain settings.

2) Does your input show as PC in the source list?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sports look great on it. I watch a lot of soccer and football on mine. Picture quality is superb, no motion problems.

Coming from a Panny Plasma, I have to disagree. It all depends on what your TV was before this, but there is definite motion blur issues with sports at some level.

Tonyus

Help GAF! I got the 60" model and I'm having trouble getting Final Fantasy Xv to let me turn on HDR. In the game options, HDR is grayed out.

I have a launch ps4, new hdmi cable, and all the settings that I know to check are on auto on the ps4. Is there some trick to turning on HDR? Anybody have this issue?

I love this game and this TV, but I want to play it in HDR.

So i have done some crude lag tests using a 120fps recording with PS4 pro in both YUV420 ad RGB modes. I have come to the conclusion that the input lag is exactly the same in either mode as long as game mode is used.

Rtings specify 37ms of lag with a 4:4:4 RGB signal which is why i wanted to test but it turns out the lag increase is only present in PC mode.

It is worth mentioning that apparently the TV doesnt display RGB 4:4:4 in game mode and instead downsamples to 4:2:2.

legbone

Word of caution, though: It's an upgrade for 1080p and HDR stuff. It's actually worse with 720p/1080i content because the Panny Plasma scaler was fantastic.

I'm still struggling with sports. Does anybody have some good settings for sports?

oh sure, i understand. i went from a 36 inch sony hd set (a monster tube, yeah that's what she said) to my samsung lcd. i'm prepared for a similar situation with the 9000. just hope the boss can handle it.

Pressing the circle/OK button only works sometimes. The only reliable way to get the info banner is to go to the source list and select your source again. It will display the banner at the top.
I found that if you press the 123 button on the remote, it'll bring up a number pad that contains an 'info' button you can select in order to bring up the information. It works when pressing just the circle button doesn't.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm so confused with this RGB Range / HDMI Black / Resolution / Color Space.

Ugh...

I've tried all different combinations and following the advice of what people are saying... for example if I force Full RGB and go with Normal HDMI Black, my non-HDR games like Hitman looked washed out. But Auto or Low black, is almost crushed, and colors seem oversaturated.

It would be nice if just using auto on everything actually frigging worked. lol what a hassle.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
$730 if you can get access to Samsung EPP. Some cool people over at slickdeals have been hooking people up with accounts.

Mine was delivered on Monday. FFXV looks fucking glorious in 4K HDR.
Lol cannot believe I paid 1200 like one day before, and couldn't cancel. christ. I'm an ass.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The 1150 update completely removed the option to select different inputs, had to reset the Smart Hub to get everything working again. Stuff like this is why I disconnected my last tv from the internet...

Help GAF! I got the 60" model and I'm having trouble getting Final Fantasy Xv to let me turn on HDR. In the game options, HDR is grayed out.

I have a launch ps4, new hdmi cable, and all the settings that I know to check are on auto on the ps4. Is there some trick to turning on HDR? Anybody have this issue?

I love this game and this TV, but I want to play it in HDR.

On the TV, Picture, Expert Settings, UHD something or other, set it to On for all 4 HDMI inputs. I think the only reason you would want it Off is if you don't have the right kind of hdmi cable.

The 1150 update completely removed the option to select different inputs, had to reset the Smart Hub to get everything working again. Stuff like this is why I disconnected my last tv from the internet...

What do you mean? Like you can't switch between HDMI 1, 2, 3, and 4? And how did you reset the Smart Hub?

Tonyus

On the TV, Picture, Expert Settings, UHD something or other, set it to On for all 4 HDMI inputs. I think the only reason you would want it Off is if you don't have the right kind of hdmi cable.

What do you mean? Like you can't switch between HDMI 1, 2, 3, and 4? And how did you reset the Smart Hub?

THANK YOU, THAT WAS IT

MazeHaze

Banned
I wish i could afford a 1000$ TV :(
Finance it? I did, and I'm sure many others as well.

Best Buy and Amazon both offer 2 years zero interest. Depending what price you get it for, thats like 60ish bucks a month.

Edit: drop a payment of a couple hundo here and there on it too and you'll pay it off well before the 2 years.

.J.

Banned
Anyone know why the YouTube app doesn't stay signed in to my account? It does so on every other device.

If it's anything like my older model Samsung, the YouTube app is just hot garbage and that's just the start of its problems. I can barely get a video to play through to the end on it. I gave up on it a long time ago, and I'm considering getting a Chromecast or something to sidestep the Samsung ecosystem altogether.

-griffy-

Banned
Got my 60" from Costco all set up. Overall the picture is excellent, but the light bleed on my set is kind of killing me. Think I'm gonna have to return it, and debating whether to try another 60" or moving to a 55"/65" (or just throwing in the towel if I can always expect light bleed like this, and waiting for OLED to drop in price since my plasma has spoiled me).

LDjW744h.jpg

Got my 60" from Costco all set up. Overall the picture is excellent, but the light bleed on my set is kind of killing me. Think I'm gonna have to return it, and debating whether to try another 60" or moving to a 55"/65" (or just throwing in the towel if I can always expect light bleed like this, and waiting for OLED to drop in price since my plasma has spoiled me).

LDjW744h.jpg

Set mine up today and have the same issue. Not sure if they are all like that.

Got my 60" from Costco all set up. Overall the picture is excellent, but the light bleed on my set is kind of killing me.

What is your backlight set to in this picture? These sets will usually be slightly brighter along the top and bottom because that's where the LEDs are, but they should not look like your pic unless you've got the backlight cranked to 20.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't figure this TV out for the life of me. Netflix on PS4: Clear picture, but too yellow/beige no matter what I do. Same settings on TV Netflix app: Perfect color, but fuzzy beyond belief. Makes zero sense to me.

Setzer

What is your backlight set to in this picture? These sets will usually be slightly brighter along the top and bottom because that's where the LEDs are, but they should not look like your pic unless you've got the backlight cranked to 20.

My 60" has the most amount of light bleed along the bottom and its noticeable like in the pic above if I have my backlight cranked to 20. When I have it set around 6-10 I don't notice it as much.

Kalentan

Anyone on the LG TVUH6030 still not get their update? I'm still waiting on the newest version. :/

It sucks too cause ESO just added HDR! I want to try it.

Setzer

I'm having an odd issue with my PS4 and my 60" KS8000....not sure if its cable related or what but every time I power on my PS4 nothing will appear on the screen and it's even on the correct HDMI input. It's not until I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in that it works.

I know this thread is a discussion for settings but figured I would ask it here since its for the KS8000. Just trying to get an idea of what the issue could be.

D23

4k player arrived today. Watched my first ultra HD movie on this TV.
ThE Revenant. My oh my.. visually.. this is one the best looking movie I've ever seen. Watching it in uncompressed 4K and in HDR is beyond amazing.

I'm definitely going to start buying ultra HD movie from now on. So so worth it.

Aske

I'm having an odd issue with my PS4 and my 60" KS8000....not sure if its cable related or what but every time I power on my PS4 nothing will appear on the screen and it's even on the correct HDMI input. It's not until I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in that it works.

I know this thread is a discussion for settings but figured I would ask it here since its for the KS8000. Just trying to get an idea of what the issue could be.

That sounds like a handshake issue. It might be your cable, but I'd bet it's the port on your OneConnect box. Have you tried using a different HDMI input? Is this happening with any of your other devices? Best thing to do is try all the variables to narrow it down.

buenoblue

I picked up a 65 inch Samsung KS8000. Waiting to have Cable and internet hooked up in my new home so I haven't been able to play around with the TV yet. My question is, how is this TV for sports viewing and playing games at 30 FPS? I have been reading motion on Samsung TVs aren't that great and there is judder when playing a game at 30FPS or watching fast paced sports. Is that true? I would have to go a different route if motion is going to be a huge problem.

This was a worry for me too buts 30ps run super smooth. Best I've seen on any tv and I've had plasma, panny ax802b 4k LG oled ef960v 4k. Bin really impressed with this TV. Blacks ultimately better on oled but everything else hands down better on ks7000.

chaosaeon

Got my 60" from Costco all set up. Overall the picture is excellent, but the light bleed on my set is kind of killing me.
LDjW744h.jpg

Wait, what am I looking at here ? The background, the top and bottom ? Or the words ? The video that's playing on it makes it hard to tell what kind of problems there could be.

In regards to people complaining about the 8000/9000 auto switching to PC mode when a computer is plugged in... What happens if you set your video card to output YCrCb instead of RGB?

laxu

In regards to people complaining about the 8000/9000 auto switching to PC mode when a computer is plugged in... What happens if you set your video card to output YCrCb instead of RGB?

You can just rename the input to something other than PC if you don't want that to happen. Then you can use Game mode etc.

Shai-Tan

Banned
My second 2007 era tv is dying at the moment. Is there anything about the KS8000 for games that should give me pause before buying it? The alternative is I replace the capacitors in the old one and wait until new models are released.

Well, just discovered one stuck red pixel.
I'm not that mad to be honest, I've tried to wake it up, so to speak.
It's not in my direct line of vision, closer to the left side of the tv than anything else.
I have no intention of sending the set back, as it's just way too much hassle to pack it up and ship it.

Top Bottom