• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

spannicus

I am devastated as I am writing this and still can´t believe it, feels like a nightmare.

Got my KS 9000 here in Germany for 2000€ with a Samsung S7 Edge mobile phone for free and had half a day of greatness, 4k was really a sight to behold and I here I thought my Sony W905 had a great picture. But this was just awesome.

During calibration my dog went past the TV, touched it slightly and I turned the TV off, let it cool down a bit and cleaned it with a dry microfiber cleaning cloth.
That´s when I looked from the side and saw a strange "coral like pattern" when the TV was switched off. It wasn´t clouding, it looked like it was "under" the coating of the Samsung, like some kind of liquid. It became clearly visible with a flashlight and it didn´t look "normal", it was almost across the whole screen.
I couldn´t clean it with the microfiber cloth, tried it dry and with a tiny bit of water. It was also visible when the TV was turned on. But I didn´t notice it from the couch. But it decreased the picture quality.

I called the store where I bought the TV a day ago and they told me that I don´t have to worry and I should use a LCD cleaning liquid, which was "the best" according to the salesman (Oehlbach LCD cleaning fluid) and also free of alcohol or any harming substances.

So I used it carefuly and after just the first wipes it got a LOT worse. I immediately stopped, called the store again and they told me to take the TV back to the store.
I expected them to see the problem and I could go home with a new KS9000 since this one definately was faulty to my understanding.

But those fuckers told me it was my fault and they have to call Samsung and see what they say about it, which will take 2 weeks and that I had no chance of a replacement from them. They really didn´t want to help me AT ALL. And this is one of the biggest electronic chains in Germany (called "expert") and I bought stuff worth of thousands of Euros there.

I really was in shock and tried to talk to them in a normal way. But they were so incredibly stubborn, the store manager then told me "we don´t replace TV sets, it´s all up to Samsung and this doesn´t look good for you" and adviced me to take the TV back home. I got really angry, it was like talking and shouting to a wall. I didnt´want to take the TV back home and left it there so the Samsung technician comes to them and decides what to to within 14 days. :/

Really feel cheated and still can´t believe it...
What can I do gaf? I am at a total loss here.
Damn sorry to hear that man. I would keep fighting with them until they replace the tv. Sucks you have to wait but atleast you get a new set. If they give you a hassle tell them you will report them.

I saw that you had mentioned this a few days ago, and so out of curiosity I went and compared the Netflix TV App & the PS4 Netflix App with the same exact pictures settings across both sources.

The quality is not bad on the PS4, but you're right... it doesn't match the TV App which I feel is superior. Why do you think that is?

This is quite disappointing to me, as I am connected over wi-fi for both the TV and PS4 and the TV CONSTANTLY disconnects and is unable to re-connect. My PS4 does not have this issue, which leads me to believe that the wi-fi chip in the TV is pretty bad.

Also noticed that the TV connected over a 5GHz 802.11AC signal will cap out at around 45- 50Mbps, while other devices on my network are fully capable of pulling 250Mbps over wireless.

I just really wish the wi-fi chip in the KS8000 was better :*(

I had this issue as well (the bunched of videos). Found this on the AVS forums... you can fix this by holding down the return button for a few seconds. What this does is it actually fully closes out the app (works for any app) and then when you open the app again everything is re-freshed and working again. Otherwise the TV keeps the apps suspended in the background.

So, I tried this and it works, but the problem now is if you do it this way, YouTube signs you out of the app, causing you to need to sign in every time you open it up.

So at the moment, when I unplug the TV and turn it back on I have to sign in and when I hold down the return button to close it I have to re-sign in.

Hope they fix it at some point!

So at the moment, when I unplug the TV and turn it back on I have to sign in and when I hold down the return button to close it I have to re-sign in. Hope they fix it at some point!

I know this won't be helpful to you, but I have not had any problems with being signed out of the Youtube app, even when I force-close it. I wonder if there is something different we can figure out. When I first signed into it, I went to the web page indicated on my phone, logged in with my Google account, agreed to give the app the permissions it asked for, and that was it. Has worked flawlessly since. I'm wired, BTW. I've only ever had a google account, never had a Youtube account from back before it was merged.

As for the videos bunching up, I have seen that problem quite often, but the fix is more simple than force-closing. Simply press right once on the remote and all the videos and their descriptions will expand out to the right. Much quicker than re-loading the app, IMO.

Yopis

I am devastated as I am writing this and still can´t believe it, feels like a nightmare.

Got my KS 9000 here in Germany for 2000€ with a Samsung S7 Edge mobile phone for free and had half a day of greatness, 4k was really a sight to behold and I here I thought my Sony W905 had a great picture. But this was just awesome.

During calibration my dog went past the TV, touched it slightly and I turned the TV off, let it cool down a bit and cleaned it with a dry microfiber cleaning cloth.
That´s when I looked from the side and saw a strange "coral like pattern" when the TV was switched off. It wasn´t clouding, it looked like it was "under" the coating of the Samsung, like some kind of liquid. It became clearly visible with a flashlight and it didn´t look "normal", it was almost across the whole screen.
I couldn´t clean it with the microfiber cloth, tried it dry and with a tiny bit of water. It was also visible when the TV was turned on. But I didn´t notice it from the couch. But it decreased the picture quality.

I called the store where I bought the TV a day ago and they told me that I don´t have to worry and I should use a LCD cleaning liquid, which was "the best" according to the salesman (Oehlbach LCD cleaning fluid) and also free of alcohol or any harming substances.

So I used it carefuly and after just the first wipes it got a LOT worse. I immediately stopped, called the store again and they told me to take the TV back to the store.
I expected them to see the problem and I could go home with a new KS9000 since this one definately was faulty to my understanding.

But those fuckers told me it was my fault and they have to call Samsung and see what they say about it, which will take 2 weeks and that I had no chance of a replacement from them. They really didn´t want to help me AT ALL. And this is one of the biggest electronic chains in Germany (called "expert") and I bought stuff worth of thousands of Euros there.

I really was in shock and tried to talk to them in a normal way. But they were so incredibly stubborn, the store manager then told me "we don´t replace TV sets, it´s all up to Samsung and this doesn´t look good for you" and adviced me to take the TV back home. I got really angry, it was like talking and shouting to a wall. I didnt´want to take the TV back home and left it there so the Samsung technician comes to them and decides what to to within 14 days. :/

Wow that's terrible. Hope they fold and replace the tv.

The Hermit

55" AA02. Very happy with the screen I got.

Smart LED off

Smart LED low

Smart LED high

Which doesn't seem to be playing well with my iPhone camera. Actually looks a lot more uniform in person.

Not to say that there isn't issues with Smart LED on high. I'd even say it's bad when there's a loading icon or play button in the corner of an all black screen. It'll light a whole column of light on that side of the screen just to light the small icon or text. Looks pretty ridiculous in that particular situation, but no problems otherwise.

I never understand this test... What am I supposed to see?

Is the backlight supposed to be 0 or higher? Because that changed my test

tkZlb4nh.jpg

Backlight 0

9mRoCwTh.jpg

Backlight 5

I know this won't be helpful to you, but I have not had any problems with being signed out of the Youtube app, even when I force-close it. I wonder if there is something different we can figure out. When I first signed into it, I went to the web page indicated on my phone, logged in with my Google account, agreed to give the app the permissions it asked for, and that was it. Has worked flawlessly since. I'm wired, BTW. I've only ever had a google account, never had a Youtube account from back before it was merged.

As for the videos bunching up, I have seen that problem quite often, but the fix is more simple than force-closing. Simply press right once on the remote and all the videos and their descriptions will expand out to the right. Much quicker than re-loading the app, IMO.

Hmm, Do you unplug the TV at all? or is it always in stand by when your not using it?
As I turn off my wall sockets when I leave the house, which I suspect is causing the loss of login, as when I'm in for a few days and its in stand by, I'm logged in all the time.

Orayn

Was it giving a lot of bloom? What's your black levels like without it on?

No "bloom" per se, the white text just made a noticeable brightness gradient near the bottom of the screen that changed size depending on how long each subtitle line was.

Black levels still look totally fine to me.

Hmm, Do you unplug the TV at all? or is it always in stand by when your not using it?

It's never unplugged. In fact, I have it and my consoles on a battery backup just in case the power goes out accidentally. Will give me enough time to save before I shut everything down. But you said that force-closing the app also signs you out, which doesn't happen to me.

tkZlb4nh.jpg

Backlight 0

9mRoCwTh.jpg

Backlight 5
You're supposed to set the backlight to the usual values you use on your tv. The screen is supposed to be completely black, except for the white markings right in the middle. This picture is great to see if you have any backlight bleeding and how is the black uniformity.

Edit: pictures of your screen doesn't mean much as the camera which took the photo might make it look much worse than it actually is. What matters is what you, personally, notice on screen.

Aight, need to revise my sharpness comments. I checked my settings, and the PC setting was higher than I thought, it is 30 not 20, and my PS4 Pro setting is actually still at 0 sharpness. The PC input aspect may be different than the PS4 one. Text was a blurry smudge on my PC with the TV until I boosted sharpness. I even did the clear text recalibartion stuff and nothing helped like that did. Haven't had the chance to fidget with how it looks in games.

That's just inherent to how the Smart LED local dimming setting works on this television. I leave the setting on high and it looks ridiculous with a little amount of white on an all black screen (loading screens in games, play button on a movie, etc.)

You can turn it off, but it's helpful to the picture, especially in HDR. Just looks bad in that particular scenario.

RE: PC mode sharpness vs. other modes, from AVS Forum -

The coating on this TV is ridiculously fragile. I went through three panels, but on the first one my wife got her prints on it and I didn't clean it until like 18 hours later, and I could still faintly see a mark even after using some monster screen cleaning fluid. I'd only use that cleaner, and would clean it right away. Water will probably destroy it.

Rbk_3

You're supposed to set the backlight to the usual values you use on your tv. The screen is supposed to be completely black, except for the white markings right in the middle. This picture is great to see if you have any backlight bleeding and how is the black uniformity.

Edit: pictures of your screen doesn't mean much as the camera which took the photo might make it look much worse than it actually is. What matters is what you, personally, notice on screen.

Well to be fair, when rtings does their test, they had backlight set to 4

So sorry to hear about this. Was it anything like this?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319108&highlight=

20161122_104814.jpg

I had to exchange my first set as the entire screen was filled with these darker "zones". Visible with a flashlight or during strong daylight.

I don't know what kind of policies the stores in your country have, but they exchanged mine immediately. Most of the retailers have a return policy of up to 30 days, no questions asked. You should get your money back and shop elsewhere.

The Hermit

OK, then I think it's fine. I though it was supposed to see the black level/contrast. My main concern is that I don't know how black is this TV supposed to be.

Also sometimes there's a halo around white images in a black background (ex: loading screen in Bayonetta). But according to Rtings this is a known weakpoint of this TV.

OK, then I think it's fine. I though it was supposed to see the black level/contrast. My main concern is that I don't know how black is this TV supposed to be.

Also sometimes there's a halo around white images in a black background (ex: loading screen in Bayonetta). But according to Rtings this is a known weakpoint of this TV.

Yes, that is due to its edge-lit backlight. I also noticed that during The Division's loading screen.

Well to be fair, when rtings does their test, they had backlight set to 4

Hmm yeah you're right, that's done to get closer to the 100cd/m right?

EvB

tkZlb4nh.jpg

Backlight 0

9mRoCwTh.jpg

Backlight 5

A big part of HDR is about achieving extra brightness, if you are using it for games , personally I would have that backlights as bright as you can whilst keeping the blacks looking black.

De_Marco

So sorry to hear about this. Was it anything like this?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319108&highlight=

20161122_104814.jpg

I had to exchange my first set as the entire screen was filled with these darker "zones". Visible with a flashlight or during strong daylight.

I don't know what kind of policies the stores in your country have, but they exchanged mine immediately. Most of the retailers have a return policy of up to 30 days, no questions asked. You should get your money back and shop elsewhere.

No, it looks a bit different on my set. Like a "honeycomb or "coral" pattern right under the coating.

I was at the store again today.
Without my agreement they sent the TV to Samsung. Don´t know if that´s good or bad or if they are "able" to see that the display is faulty. They won´t exchange the TV without the approval of Samsung. I wanted to punch the store manager in the face for repeating that at least 3 times.

I expect anything at this point.

The coating on this TV is ridiculously fragile. I went through three panels, but on the first one my wife got her prints on it and I didn't clean it until like 18 hours later, and I could still faintly see a mark even after using some monster screen cleaning fluid. I'd only use that cleaner, and would clean it right away. Water will probably destroy it.

Guys, I highly recommend getting a pack of surgical gloves. You can get a 100 pack for a few bucks on Amazon, and I can't tell you how many times they have come in handy for all sorts of uses.

When I got my KS8000 last week, I made sure to not touch it without having the gloves on, and when I wall mounted it my wife and I both wore the gloves. Screen still looks exactly like it did when I removed it from the box.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9P9BTU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mcdohl

My YouTube app crashed and no matter what I tried it just stopped working.

I had to reinstall the app.

Is there a way to 'close' or 'restart' an app?

Mindman

No, it looks a bit different on my set. Like a "honeycomb or "coral" pattern right under the coating.

I was at the store again today.
Without my agreement they sent the TV to Samsung. Don´t know if that´s good or bad or if they are "able" to see that the display is faulty. They won´t exchange the TV without the approval of Samsung. I wanted to punch the store manager in the face for repeating that at least 3 times.

I expect anything at this point.

Both of these cases must be manufacturing defects with the screen. They couldn't possibly be caused by JUST a screen cleaner or microfiber cloth. There is no way the screen could be THAT fragile. Right guys?

Psxdad

Trying to hook my PC to input 2 on this TV via hdmi and at 4k i cannot get it to show 60Hz as an option. What am I doing wrong? It is set to PC mode for the input.

Heel

My YouTube app crashed and no matter what I tried it just stopped working.

I had to reinstall the app.

Is there a way to 'close' or 'restart' an app?

In the app, hold the back arrow button on the Samsung remote to force close it.

The Beard

Lol

I just fog up the area with my breath and it works as good as any expensive TV cleaner.

Nick

Kinda OT, but is it smart to buy a KS8000 right now with CES 2017 right around the corner? Do price drops usually happen when new models are announced for TV's?

Carnby

I've been lurking in this thread for a week. After reading this, I'm officially not buying this TV. God forbid I sneeze on the thing and permanently damage the screen. Jesus.

Kinda OT, but is it smart to buy a KS8000 right now with CES 2017 right around the corner? Do price drops usually happen when new models are announced for TV's?

If you like the TV and have the chance to get it for a good price, I'd say go for it. I just bought one and I think it's incredible.

Prices usually go down only when new models hit the market, and the TVs to be shown at CES will probably only be available after a year or more.

Aske

Lol

I just fog up the area with my breath and it works as good as any expensive TV cleaner.

You fool! You're covering the TV in micro-mould! Every human breath contains approximately 5,000,000,000 spores. Normally, it's fine. But a TV this expensive is coated in sensitive electrolyte crystals, and while they create incredible light shields to protect the picture from fast-moving images, they're extremely vulnerable to human exhalation. By now your TV will be saturated with micro-mould that subtly alters its browns.

But it's not too late. A guy at Best Buy sold me Monster Micro-Mould cleaner, toner, and exfoliator. These revolutionary products will not only reverse the damage you've been doing to your screen, but they'll actually increase the number of visible pixels to simulate an 8K display. Only $1499 for the whole set, and if you buy the complete system you'll also get a Monster Nanofiber Optic Master Cloth at a discount: $149 instead of $199. It's seriously a great deal for peace of mind and a significantly better picture.

Do we have optimal settings for Xbox 1S?

Right now I have:

Game mode on
Backlight 20
Smart LED High
HDMI UHD Color on
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Color Tone Warm 1
ColorSpace Native

Xbox:
10 bit
All settings on
PC RGB

When I fire up Gear, I get a pop up that and HDR video is playing and I see the HDR Brightness slider under video but when I adjust the slider, it doesnt get darker or lighter.

III-V

You fool! You're covering the TV in micro-mould! Every human breath contains approximately 5,000,000,000 spores. Normally, it's fine. But a TV this expensive is coated in sensitive electrolyte crystals, and while they create incredible light shields to protect the picture from fast-moving images, they're extremely vulnerable to human exhalation. By now your TV will be saturated with micro-mould that subtly alters its browns.

But it's not too late. A guy at Best Buy sold me Monster Micro-Mould cleaner, toner, and exfoliator. These revolutionary products will not only reverse the damage you've been doing to your screen, but they'll actually increase the number of visible pixels to simulate an 8K display. Only $1499 for the whole set, and if you buy the complete system you'll also get a Monster Nanofiber Optic Master Cloth at a discount: $149 instead of $199. It's seriously a great deal for peace of mind and a significantly better picture.

Should be stickied.

Heel

I'd give it a try, but I'm afraid any contact with airborne particles would affect the tonal quality of my silver-woven HDMI pairing link (or "cable" for the layman). Just going to make do until my cleanroom is ready.

The Beard

I'm so ashamed of myself for not knowing this. Thank you.

Do we have optimal settings for Xbox 1S?

Right now I have:

Game mode on
Backlight 20
Smart LED High
HDMI UHD Color on
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Color Tone Warm 1
ColorSpace Native

Xbox:
10 bit
All settings on
PC RGB

When I fire up Gear, I get a pop up that and HDR video is playing and I see the HDR Brightness slider under video but when I adjust the slider, it doesnt get darker or lighter.

PC RGB doesn't work on this TV, it's broken until they fix it with n update. Use the low or standard setting, can't remember how it's called on the One. Also, use Auto Color Space for SDR content. I'd use it for HDR too.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Don't ever screen cleaner. This is more for the guy mentioning he uses monster screen cleaner and anyone else that plans on using cleaner. Sounds like the guy above had an already messed up tv and I'm sure he learned his lesson, unfortunately, by following the sales guy's advice..

At most you use a microfiber cloth with distilled water and barely make the cloth wet at all.

Nick

If you like the TV and have the chance to get it for a good price, I'd say go for it. I just bought one and I think it's incredible.

Prices usually go down only when new models hit the market, and the TVs to be shown at CES will probably only be available after a year or more.

I'm only asking because I want it at a price that is cheaper than what it is right now, which is around $1,700 for a 65" KS8000.

zdenko1

I just got KS8000 (KS7002 in my country) and have few questions. How are you guys playing that 4K videos? I tried MPC-HC, VLC and I still can't get TV to change to HDR mode. I currently have set color output as ycbcr422 10-bit. I can get Shadow Warrior 2 working with HDR but not the demos (notification that HDR content is playing never pops up). Also I don't have option for 4:2:0 10-bit, only 8-bit and 12-bit and I notice problems with subpixel antialiasing (clearly visible on text) when using anything except RGB 8-bit.

Top Bottom