• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Eighthours

What does Smart LED do, btw? Is there a consensus on the level this should be on for non-HDR and HDR content, both in Game Mode and outside it?

Heel

For anyone having trouble with YouTube signing out, try upgrading to the 1154 firmware.

Mine kept signing out on the previous firmware, but I haven't had any trouble so far on the new one, even when force closing. Knock on wood.

Belker

Guys, I highly recommend getting a pack of surgical gloves. You can get a 100 pack for a few bucks on Amazon, and I can't tell you how many times they have come in handy for all sorts of uses.

When I got my KS8000 last week, I made sure to not touch it without having the gloves on, and when I wall mounted it my wife and I both wore the gloves. Screen still looks exactly like it did when I removed it from the box.

This is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9P9BTU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This what I did the other day. Got my friend a pair too, who helped me set it up. I used ones without any latex dust on them, either.

Thanks, I'm a lowly peasant still stuck on 1142. How do I upgrade via USB?

Edit: Found it. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050091/#2

Okay this actually isn't working. I've tried both USB inputs on the OneConnect box and I get no prompt to upgrade from USB. Does the drive have to be formatted with a specific filesystem (NTFS/FAT)?

Edit: I had to use. USB 2.0 drive smh.

How do I view the current picture settings of what's playing?

ss_lemonade

Still waiting for my tv but does black frame insertion (whatever samsung's equivalent is for bfi) work together with game mode and hdr? I know some people hate it due to the drop in brightness but I like the improved motion clarity it brings.

zdenko1

Hmm my HDR doesn't kick in when using the youtube app on my ks8005 apparently. Netflix HDR works, i wonder why youtube doesn't. It still looks great though.

Are you on latest firmware (version 1154)? If not, just update to 1154 and try it again, it should work afterwards.

Hey everyone, I don't have this TV but have a related question.

My TV supports HDR10, but for some reason in Uncharted 4 enable HDR is greyed out. The PS4 settings have HDR set to auto.

Anyone run into something similar?

jorma

is now taking requests
Are you on latest firmware (version 1154)? If yes, just update to 1154 and try it again, it should work afterwards.

Oh it was fixed in that firmware? I'm still on 1150, but my TV claims it's up to date. Might try a manual update later then.
Cheers!

My TV supports HDR10, but for some reason in Uncharted 4 enable HDR is greyed out. The PS4 settings have HDR set to auto.

Is there a setting in your tv to enable hdmi UHD color? For this TV it has to be enabled for each input. I also recall some TV's only support HDR on one specific input.

If this is a specific uncharted question and you have HDR working on other media then im not sure.

Is there a setting in your tv to enable hdmi UHD color? For this TV it has to be enabled for each input. I also recall some TV's only support HDR on one specific input.

If this is a specific uncharted question and you have HDR working on other media then im not sure.

Ah, I found it under Ultra HD Deep Color.

Enabled that for the input and it worked!

There may be a setting in your TV you need to enable in order to have it register as HDR capable. In this TV its 'HDMI UHD Color'. Alternatively, if you're going through a receiver then you may need to configure the port on the receiver differently. I had to change the settings on my PIoneer SC-95 receiver to get my whole theater chain to recognize 10-bit HDR.

ElfArmy177

Since when is a TV so fragile that if you touch it you destroy the entire thing??? what kind of bullshit is this where the instructions literally tell you to place it face down to install the mounting hardware or the stand, and it could destroy the screen?

Lucky it doesn't seem that Ive hurt the screen at all but are you guys trolling us or is this thing really as fragile a youre all making it seem?

malyce

Since when is a TV so fragile that if you touch it you destroy the entire thing??? what kind of bullshit is this where the instructions literally tell you to place it face down to install the mounting hardware or the stand, and it could destroy the screen?

Lucky it doesn't seem that Ive hurt the screen at all but are you guys trolling us or is this thing really as fragile a youre all making it seem?

I'm saying... the last few posts had me shook as fuck. I'm gonna wall mount my 60" in a few and I've already got some fingerprints on it, but I figured I'd clean it once I got it on the wall. Now I'm hearing cleaning the TV with a micro fiber cloth will ruin it. Between the panel lottery and this, I don't think I've ever been this paranoid about any electronic purchase.. The box clearly states that you should place the TV face down when attaching the stand.. This is ridiculous.

ElfArmy177

I'm saying... the last few posts had me shook as fuck. I'm gonna wall mount my 60" in a few and I've already got some fingerprints on it, but I figured I'd clean it once I got it on the wall. Now I'm hearing cleaning the TV with a micro fiber cloth will ruin it. Between the panel lottery and this, I don't think I've ever been this paranoid about any electronic purchase.. The box clearly states that you should place the TV face down when attaching the stand.. This is ridiculous.

Agreed, and why is this nowhere mentioned on Rtings or anywhere else? This should be a buyer beware product for Christ sake. I got the Sony X800D and the KS8000 mounted near each other for COOP gaming and given the Sony is a inferior product, atleast I don't have to worry about it breaking by breathing on it.

jorma

is now taking requests

I don't know, i got a few ugly fingerprints on the screen when i unpacked my TV, but i just wiped them off with some toilet paper and everything was fine after that.

I'm getting serious color banding on FF15 during some scenes.
Is there anything i can do or that game just displays like that on this TV?

I was getting it a lot during some of the cutscenes at the end of the game. I'm assuming it was just because some of them appear to be compressed video files rather than real time. I could be wrong though.

MazeHaze

Banned

I've gotten plenty of fingerprints on mine and a microfiber wiped them off fine in about 10 seconds every time. No issues.

III-V

I tried out the chess video.

Holy fuck.

Yes, LG Chess made me a believer. HDR is going to take us places once content developers really start to get good at it.

I have said it before, but I think it is really the most important advancement we have seen in display tech, rivaling or eclipsing that of the jump from SD to HD when it is done correctly.

Aske

I don't know, i got a few ugly fingerprints on the screen when i unpacked my TV, but i just wiped them off with some toilet paper and everything was fine after that.

Yep, same here; although I used the corner of a microfiber throw. TV's fine. They just advise laying it on a soft surface so that you can easily flip it up onto your stand. If you see fingerprints, gently wipe them off. It's not rocket surgery.

But hey, anyone a-scared of it shouldn't buy it! I couldn't be more pleased with mine.

Heel

Anyone else not like Movie mode? It just way too dark. I prefer natural, with warm1. Warm2 seems to have some yellow in it.

You can make a pre-defined mode look any way you want if you edit the settings.

I have "Standard" and "Movie" as the exact same thing, except "Standard" has the backlight a little brighter for daytime viewing.

styl3s

You can make a pre-defined mode look any way you want if you edit the settings.

I have "Standard" and "Movie" as the exact same thing, except "Standard" has the backlight a little brighter for daytime viewing.
Out of curiosity what backlight do you use at night? I find anything under 18-20 to be too dark in any mode gaming, bluray, UHD bluray etc.

Anytime people say they use 5-10 backlight it makes me wonder if my tv is defective

Heel

Out of curiosity what backlight do you use at night? I find anything under 18-20 to be too dark in any mode gaming, bluray, UHD bluray etc.

Anytime people say they use 5-10 backlight it makes me wonder if my tv is defective

6 at night, 10 during the day for television/movies in Warm 2.

I just leave it on 10 in game mode day and night since there's currently only one setting. Warm 1.

Maybe the other settings affect how bright the backlight looks? 18-20 in SDR is pretty eye searing for me at night.

Rbk_3

I am at 10 all the time in a dark basement with bias lights behind the TV.

So you can only update to the latest firmware via flash drive? Right now I'm on 1142. Tried updating with the flash drive but it's telling me I'm on the latest firmware..

Do I have to format the flash drive to something?

I was getting it a lot during some of the cutscenes at the end of the game. I'm assuming it was just because some of them appear to be compressed video files rather than real time. I could be wrong though.

i'm also referring to end game. specifically the
end camp scene
. It was so bad..
So maybe it's the cutscene not the TV?

styl3s

6 at night, 10 during the day for television/movies in Warm 2.

I just leave it on 10 in game mode day and night since there's currently only one setting. Warm 1.

Maybe the other settings affect how bright the backlight looks? 18-20 in SDR is pretty eye searing for me at night.
I guess I'll exchange my tv today because 6-10 is makes shit look way too dark on my panel

Yopis

Went through two of these. First tv had a smudge cleaned with microfiber that came in box.

Put microscratches on screen only visible with flashlight. Also removed some of the coating on the screen.

Got a second after return and monster cleaner 2.0 Have not cleaned screen yet so far.

Czigga

Does updating the firmware reset picture settings or does it retain them. Got a lot of inputs w different settings on each

Okay this actually isn't working. I've tried both USB inputs on the OneConnect box and I get no prompt to upgrade from USB. Does the drive have to be formatted with a specific filesystem (NTFS/FAT)?

Edit: I had to use. USB 2.0 drive smh.

How do I view the current picture settings of what's playing?

I can't get this to work either, which port did you use? Are are you saying the USB stick with the update has to be USB 2.0?

Update: nevermind, i couldn't get the right driver for my 49 UK model, found it here in the end: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49KS8000TXXU

Heel

I guess I'll exchange my tv today because 6-10 is makes shit look way too dark on my panel

Yeah, 18-20 being the only watchable brightness settings doesn't seem right at all. If it's not getting bright enough, that would be really bad for HDR content.

Report back when you get the new set, I'm curious now...haha. Doesn't sound like what you're saying is just a subjective opinion.

Top Bottom