• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

styl3s

Yeah, 18-20 being the only watchable brightness settings doesn't seem right at all. If it's not getting bright enough, that would be really bad for HDR content.

Report back when you get the new set, I'm curious now...haha. Doesn't sound like what you're saying is just a subjective opinion.
Maybe it's just me and i prefer a brighter picture? If i have dynamic contrast on low-medium it looks fine on 10-15 backlight but if i have dynamic contrast off it just doesn't appear to be bright enough for me and it's hard to explain because if i take a picture that picture comes off much brighter then what i am actually seeing.

It's not unwatchable at 15 without dynamic on it just looks too dim if that makes sense. I am a person who over worries about everything and i end up fiddling with my settings just about everytime i put a movie in just to get the way i like it and maybe i just prefer it bright. I mean the blacks look black, the colors pop and UHD blu-rays look amazing.

Heel

Maybe it's just me and i prefer a brighter picture? If i have dynamic contrast on low-medium it looks fine on 10-15 backlight but if i have dynamic contrast off it just doesn't appear to be bright enough for me and it's hard to explain because if i take a picture that picture comes off much brighter then what i am actually seeing.

It's not unwatchable at 15 without dynamic on it just looks too dim if that makes sense. I am a person who over worries about everything and i end up fiddling with my settings just about everytime i put a movie in just to get the way i like it and maybe i just prefer it bright. I mean the blacks look black, the colors pop and UHD blu-rays look amazing.

Hmm, guess it could just be subjective then? I don't use dynamic contrast.

But yeah, taking pictures probably won't tell the story. Maybe check one out at a store before dealing with a return.

styl3s

Hmm, guess it could just be subjective then? I don't use dynamic contrast.

But yeah, taking pictures probably won't tell the story. Maybe check one out at a store before dealing with a return.
Yeah i am just gonna return it i went down to 5 and 10 without contrast in a pitch black room and jesus christ it's ridiculously dark.

It was a pain in the ass for me to get this tv out of a box and onto this tv stand i can't imagine how much of a pain of the ass it's gonna be getting it back into the box.

Heel

Yeah i am just gonna return it i went down to 5 and 10 without contrast in a pitch black room and jesus christ it's ridiculously dark.

It was a pain in the ass for me to get this tv out of a box and onto this tv stand i can't imagine how much of a pain of the ass it's gonna be getting it back into the box.

Yeah, the packing part is a pain. Hopefully it ends up actually being an actual problem. Sure sounds like it. Backlight 10 in a dark room being "ridiculously dark" just doesn't sound right.

Let us know how it works out.

iMax

Posted this in the Gears 4 HDR thread but figured you guys may appreciate it too.

Just noticed the new title update includes a great side-by-side option in view settings to let you compare HDR on/off side-by-side, so you can really understand and see the benefits.

Great demo to show the difference between HDR and standard 8-bit video.

Orayn

Heads-up for anyone running older consoles on the KS8000: "Auto" is not necessarily the best setting for black level. Auto was defaulting to Low for my PS3 (full RGB, through my receiver) and this was causing severe black crush. I changed it to normal and now it looks great.

iMax

Heads-up for anyone running older consoles on the KS8000: "Auto" is not necessarily the best setting for black level. Auto was defaulting to Low for my PS3 (full RGB, though my receiver) and this causing severe black crush. I changed it to normal and now it looks great.

I don't seem to be able to change black level in Game mode.

Harpua

You shut the Eco option off, right?

Orayn

I don't seem to be able to change black level in Game mode.

Hmm, maybe it depends on the input signal? Or maybe they changed it in a new firmware version? Here's what I have now.

WRw1XkQ.jpg

0PwBCrt.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned
you can try changing it first before getting into game mode. that's how hdmi black level ended up on "normal" on mine (I also have each source having individual settings just in case it will screw up other hdmi sources)

Orayn

FWIW I don't have the black level option available on my PS4 Pro connected directly to the TV on HDMI 1, but I do have it on HDMI4 where my receiver is sending a regular 1080p signal.

SeanR1221

So does YouTube only do HDR on the latest firmware?

I can't believe a thread about a specific tv is still going this strong 😬

It helps the tv is awesome!!

III-V

Heads-up for anyone running older consoles on the KS8000: "Auto" is not necessarily the best setting for black level. Auto was defaulting to Low for my PS3 (full RGB, though my receiver) and this causing severe black crush. I changed it to normal and now it looks great.

A few weeks ago, we found auto on the KS8000 can cause unexpected results (mismatched video levels) even on the PS4 Pro, depending upon boot sequence!

Yup. I was playing the division when I noticed the trucks in the shadow were completely missing details. I switched it to normal and that fixed it.

styl3s

I had to turn it on normal on PS3 but anything other than Auto/Low on xbox one, Wii-u and ps4 pro the picture immediately because super washed out and weird.

You shut the Eco option off, right?
One of the first things i did was this.

Probably won't be able to return it till thur-fri when i am off and can get someone to help me with it since i had to borrow a truck just to get the damn tv home. I have small car unfortunately but lucky for me i have till like next month to return it.

Heel

So does YouTube only do HDR on the latest firmware?

I can't believe a thread about a specific tv is still going this strong ��

It helps the tv is awesome!!

The YouTube app will switch to HDR settings only when it detects an HDR video, display an HDR badge on the title banner, and revert back to your SDR settings when you leave the video.

Simbo

Neo Member
Anyone else got a receiver paired with this TV?

I've just got a new HDR capable receiver and having a few issues with input labels. I set a manual one as 'AV Receiver' but then if I play Xbox or watch my laptop via the receiver the input label changes to Xbox or PC. This overrides my original custom one and it doesn't revert back. I have to go and manually retype 'AV Receiver' every time.

Anyone got a solution?

Shai-Tan

Banned
The YouTube app will switch to HDR settings only when it detects an HDR video, display an HDR badge on the title banner, and revert back to your SDR settings when you leave the video.

Also keep in mind that there are some "HDR" videos YouTube that aren't actually HDR.

And maybe it was due to old firmware or YouTube app but I remember not seeing any sign a video is in hdr other than the backlight jumping to 20?

Heel

Also keep in mind that there are some "HDR" videos YouTube that aren't actually HDR. I saw some people complaining on avsforum about "HDR Channel" having videos re-encoded for new audio that lost their hdr

And maybe it was due to old firmware or YouTube app but I remember not seeing any sign a video is in hdr other than the backlight jumping to 20?

Pause a YouTube video on the new firmware and there are badges for 4K, HDR, etc. at the top of the screen.

Btw how do I see the title banner on this tv? What do I have to press? Edit: answered above. But what about games running? How do I see?

I ordered on black Friday got shipping notice the Monday after. Haven't received it yet. I'm getting the run around from both Samsung and ups. Finally on Thursday the person I was talking to told me anywhere from 16 days to a month to find my tv or get a refund. I'm said to them it's obvious it hasn't been shipped since only a tracking number was generated. They are only sending emails to the warehouse it was supposedly at. It's been very frustrating.

The Last Guardian has a white loading icon on the right of the TV against a black background.

The whole right side of the TV gets lighter...this is normal for this TV, I assume?

Aske

The Last Guardian has a white loading icon on the right of the TV against a black background.

The whole right side of the TV gets lighter...this is normal for this TV, I assume?

Some people have reported seeing this when their Smart LED is set to High. If it bugs you, switch this to Low. I personally can't see it, and I have mine at High for all inputs - perhaps you'd see improvement if you played with your brightness/contrast/backlight settings? For my PS4 Pro, I use 45/93/6 for SDR games. Warm 1.

Darko

Anyone know which hdmi port is hdcp 2.2 compatible on the 55 inch? I cant get my xbox one s to play 4k blurays.

j-wood

Does anyone know what the "audio delay" option is for in the sound part of the menu? I'm using an optical cable to send sound from the TV to my receiver, and it's defaulted to 80 it seems. Does this need to be messed with at all? Using dolby digital.

Can anyone recommend me a good quality soundbar for this?

I have the Vizio 5.1 soundbar that has a wireless sub and rear speakers and I love it....although I couldn't get HDMI-ARC to work correctly with this TV. However, I was able to hook up with Optical and it works fine since I have a universal remote.

Although I haven't used one with my set, I've heard good things about Samsung's soundbars as well!

BTW, some of these HDR vs SDR comparisons are so phony (specifically some of them on the HDR channel). Best test I did was play that wildlife HDR video from the youtube HDR launch on my Apple TV's youtube (1080p SDR) and the on the youtube app. App looks better for sure, but there are parts where its very similar too. It's not a washed out mess like some comparisons make it seem.

Eighthours

Anyone else getting pretty obvious colour banding in the background during the TLG loading screens in 1800p HDR mode? The various grades of white are very easy to identify. Any way to smooth this out?

(Actually, I'm getting this in the Plex app too with various shows.)

BTW, some of these HDR vs SDR comparisons are so phony (specifically some of them on the HDR channel). Best test I did was play that wildlife HDR video from the youtube HDR launch on my Apple TV's youtube (1080p SDR) and the on the youtube app. App looks better for sure, but there are parts where its very similar too. It's not a washed out mess like some comparisons make it seem.

There is definitely some artificial comparisons going on in some cases. I watched the last of us comparison and as someone who played through the last of us on a TV without 4K HDR it definitely didnt look near as washed out as the comparison.

I feel these videos are more intended to over simulate the stark difference you can see with HDR but it doesnt really work.

CrayToes

I have the Vizio 5.1 soundbar that has a wireless sub and rear speakers and I love it....although I couldn't get HDMI-ARC to work correctly with this TV. However, I was able to hook up with Optical and it works fine since I have a universal remote.

Although I haven't used one with my set, I've heard good things about Samsung's soundbars as well!

Thanks man. Appreciate it!

The Beard

Okay so , once I'm staring at this , what I'm I looking for-
I still have a few days to return the TV.

It's testing black uniformity. Ideally you want the whole screen to be the same shade of black, and the cross to be the only white on the screen.

The pic that was posted is an example of what you don't want to see.

Okay so , once I'm staring at this , what I'm I looking for-
I still have a few days to return the TV.

Someone already said how to use it. Just don't forget to set the backlight to around 5 for it to be effective. If you set the backlight too high it will have clouding anyway.

R-User!

Press the "123" button on the Samsung remote and scroll to the "i" icon for input info.

Is strange, because I'm on 1142 FW, and the only way I could get that info banner to drop down was to press the home button then press the center circle/select/ok button on the current input that I'm on, THEN it drops the banner down, but through no other means have I been able to drop it down otherwise.

Could it have changed for 1152, or could the fact that I run through a Receiver be borking the functionality?

What firmware are you on where selecting the info icon after pressing "123" causes the status info banner to drop down?

Someone already said how to use it. Just don't forget to set the backlight to around 5 for it to be effective. If you set the backlight too high it will have clouding anyway.

Thanks guys,
so I have one clouding spot on the bottom right middle area the size of a tuna can, is that a deal breaker, or am I okay?

Heel

Is strange, because I'm on 1142 FW, and the only way I could get that info banner to drop down was to press the home button then press the center circle/select/ok button on the current input that I'm on, THEN it drops the banner down, but through no other means have I been able to drop it down otherwise.

Could it have changed for 1152, or could the fact that I run through a Receiver be borking the functionality?

What firmware are you on where selecting the info icon after pressing "123" causes the status info banner to drop down?

I'm on 1154, but it worked on 1142 for PS4.

If your Samsung remote interacts with your receiver, it may be interfering with your ability to use this feature. I have the same problem with my Xfinity input because the Samsung remote can control the Xfinity guide, which causes a conflict with the "123" button.

You can check your settings under Sources > Universal Remote to see if they're paired, I believe.

Selecting the current input in the menus is how I was seeing the banner before, and is still a way to do it if need be, but the "123" to "i" is a little bit quicker if you can get it working.

Top Bottom