• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large protests occurring in Brazil. Calling for President Rousseff to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

neV2fiL.jpg

Politicians are expecting Dilma impeachment cools the Lava Jato operation so they don't get to the big fish

Source?

And how is that in any way a justification for not doing something?

There's no reason to believe that the investigations will cool down in practice. The government is the one consistently trying to intervene on a federal investigation, up to and including wanting to appoint the ex-president to a federal position. That shit don't fly.

Don't worry. It's all just a big coincidence, rigth? It's not to (try) escape justice.
I mean, who wouldn't want the "most honest living soul ever" to be in your government. He's just a victim that, as always, knows nothing.

P.S. Go figure, I discovered that Brazil, not only, has the biggest number of millionaires on Earth but also, I am one of them! And got an yatch as extra! We should plan a NeoGAF yatch meet up some day.

Tiops

neV2fiL.jpg

Politicians are expecting Dilma impeachment cools the Lava Jato operation so they don't get to the big fish

Come on, Lula and Dilma are the "big fish". That's why they hope it would cool down the investigation. Why would the investigations stop if the big fishes are loose?

By the way, to those that are looking to get more information on this case here: Lula is about to accept to become a Minister in the current government. That would help him evade the Federal Police investigations, as ministers (and other political positions) can't be investigated directly by the police and have to go through internal investigations.

hawk2025

Come on, Lula and Dilma are the "big fish". That's why they hope it would cool down the investigation. Why would the investigations stop if the big fishes are loose?

By the way, to those that are looking to get more information on this case here: Lula is about to accept to become a Minister in the current government. That would help him evade the Federal Police investigations, as ministers (and other political positions) can't be investigated directly by the police and have to go through internal investigations.

Thanks -- I realized today that, in addressing the Portuguese speakers, I forgot about everyone else with that link!

Anyways, it is looking like today we will know for sure if that will happen. Just absurd fuckery.

trembli0s

This can't actually happen, can it?

They're essentially admitting guilt with this move. Will the people really let it happen?

hawk2025

This can't actually happen, can it?

They're essentially admitting guilt with this move. Will the people really let it happen?

They are, but they will spin it as necessary for political reasons to help the government function, and the gross base of the party that supports them no matter what will gobble it up.

The general population seems to be completely against it, though. It's a painfully transparent move.

People can't do anything except be more angry I guess.

The government no longer functions properly right now. It may not look like it right now, but the investigations and the protests are working. This party came to power with popular support and requires popular support to stay. They are circling the wagons with this move, but there's only so much that can be done.

mantidor

The government no longer functions properly right now. It may not look like it right now, but the investigations and the protests are working. This party came to power with popular support and requires popular support to stay. They are circling the wagons with this move, but there's only so much that can be done.

Oh for sure. I don't see this as a long term plan but more like a tactic to delay the investigation as much as possible, while they try to put themselves together so to speak. Popular support is waning anyway so of course they were going to do this. It might fire back hugely though, only Lula had acceptable levels of popularity but with this move it's going to go down.

trembli0s

Politics really is fucking crazy.

I thought the US was leading the pack this year but in between everything else going on it seems like we are all in the same boat together.

The Hermit

It happened

Wow

Not only he became a minister, he basically is a Prime Minister, with our president having the same function as the Queen of England.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It happened

Wow

Not only he became a minister, he basically is a Prime Minister, with our president having the same function as the Queen of England.
Source? Lula and Dilma spoke for almost 5 hours yesterday and he's meeting with her again today, but there hasn't been any announcements yet from the news outlets I'm keeping up with.

The Hermit

Source? Lula and Dilma spoke for almost 5 hours yesterday and he's meeting with her again today, but there hasn't been any announcements yet from the news outlets I'm keeping up with.

Just heard in the radio.

There is no official announcement yet, but it's all but confirmed.

mantidor

It's on local newspapers now.

edit: beaten

Acidote

It's worth noting that 8 of the 11 judges of the court that would judge him if he is appointed as a minister were elected by himself or Dilma.

So much for separation of powers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Lula's appointment is to play the coup-card to her base later.

Get ready for some Venezualan flavored politica rethoric ahead.

nacimento

It's worth noting that 8 of the 11 judges of the court that would judge him if he is appointed as a minister were elected by himself or Dilma.

It's not different than the supreme court in the US. And it's not as if those judges have a history of favoring the government, more like the opposite. Barbosa was chosen by Lula as well, after all.

Platy

So if the judges are on Dilma's pocket this means that Cunha and Aécio and every PSDB politician will be arrested by the STF judges, right ?

Platy

I don't have hope for this country anymore, it's just sad.

The problem with this line of idea is that this is the kind of stuff that makes people vote for a random "Trump" in the next election, be it for "fuck I will waste my vote" or because "they want someone extreme and diferent from what we got"

And our Trumps are MUCH worst than the USA one

Platy

For the foreign people, it is a post about people saying that Frank Underwood of House of cards "has a lot to learn with brazilian politicians"

That's one way to come back to the thread, I guess.

Embarrassing.

You rather me to come back to say that the STF "choosen by dilma" already arrested the CREATOR of the PT political party ? =P

hawk2025

For the foreign people, it is a post about people saying that Frank Underwood of House of cards "has a lot to learn with brazilian politicians"

You rather me to come back to say that the STF "choosen by dilma" already arrested the CREATOR of the PT political party ? =P

I'd rather you show a minimum of intellectual honesty instead of misdirecting and moving the goal posts across the Pacific Ocean.

Platy

I'd rather you show a minimum of intellectual honesty instead of misdirecting and moving the goal posts across the Pacific Ocean.

It is not missdirection or moving the goal post ... wasn't the protests against corruption, Lava Jato and stuffs like that ?

Aécio was the politician most mentioned in Lava Jato till now and he keeps getting all ok on the senate and NOTHING on the news and Cunha is both the most pro-impeachment politician and probably the most corrupt politician these days (and second in the line for presidency if Dilma receives impeachment ... with the first dude, Temmer, also not being very good in the investigations) and so far he escaped EVERYTHING .... incluiding STF

Like a joke I saw on twitter.... "if Lula really want to escape the investigations he would not acept to be ministry .... he would have to acept being a PSDB politician"

Regardless of all the other stuff, on optics alone Lula accepting the ministry at this time is an even shittier move than PT refusing to kick out Genoino after dude got convicted.

Like, you only do stuff like that if you in some deep, deep bubble. It's borderline impossible to be unaware of how such a move will be received. Legit can't comprehend what would compel her to offer it, or him to accept it.

Platy

Democracy means respecting the elected president by the majority of voters, exactly the opposite of what happened in OP's protest =P

It has nothing to do with corruption

Gustavoh

Neo Member
P5zhx3C.jpg

The gall.

Translation: Lula will be in rallies "for Democracy".

And all of us will be footing the bill for him to be there, yay. As a minister, he will now be spared the indignity of having to hitch rides on his "friends"' lowly private jets and will be entitled to take an Air Force jet to fly to SP (priority landing privileges and all).

Platy

What do you think about Collor's impeachment?

He was not impeached (is that a word ?) out because people wanted him out, he was took out because what he did makes asking Dilma for impeachment looks like an ant next to an elephant.

Dude STARTED his government blocking people's bank accounts. It all went downhill after that.

Jackpot

Banned
Can someone explain to non-Brazilians what the latest move means? Except for Platy whose sophism is clear in this area just by the context of this thread alone.

Tiops

Yeah, I'll stop trying to argue there.

Can someone explain to non-Brazilians what the latest move means? Except for Platy whose sophism is clear in this area just by the context of this thread alone.
Lula is currently being investigated by the Federal Police against charges of money laundering and graft. By accepting the position of minister, he'll get special immunities (because our system is fucked) that will stop all investigation from the police, and he'll have to be investigated exclusively by order of the Supreme Federal Tribunal, one of our government institutions.

post-S

How did he get a place in the cabinet? Did someone got replaced or did the president just open a new post? Is there no predefined number of ministers in Brazilian government?

How did he get a place in the cabinet? Did someone got replaced or did the president just open a new post? Is there no predefined number of ministers in Brazilian government?

Jaques Wagner, the old minister (also from PT) gave his seat and became chief of staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom