• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Guardian delayed

Kyoufu

Really don't like to point this out, but...

Does anyone else see what is happening here? Every time it gets delayed we want it more.

This game... this fucking game has been hyped up for the better part of a decade. This sets it up for some serious criticism even in the event that it's a good game (and I believe it will be).

The only people who hyped up TLG are the fans themselves, and like with every other game, they've set their expectations too high and will undoubtedly feel disappointed with the final product.

The cycle always continues.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just get the feeling it's going to be a disaster when it releases now, which makes me so sad. SotC was one of the greatest gaming experiences ever.

I don't think it's going to be a disaster. I think it's going to be a decent puzzle platformer that fails to make people feel the same level of emotional response they did with Ico and SotC. The legacy of those games was built in an entirely different era of gaming and critical climate. There's no way this game can have the same impact as their previous work.

Regardless, it looks like it will set a new benchmark for creature animation, so that's something. If that can translate into players feeling a strong connection to Trico, and the gameplay doesn't make you constantly frustrated with him/her/it, then there's a chance this game will be talked about with reverence in a few years.

Servbot24

Banned
Really don't like to point this out, but...

Does anyone else see what is happening here? Every time it gets delayed we want it more.

This game... this fucking game has been hyped up for the better part of a decade. This sets it up for some serious criticism even in the event that it's a good game (and I believe it will be).

I don't think this is really true... the only time it makes headlines is when people want to make fun of it. I don't think anyone except for the most devoted fans is expecting it to be a masterpiece. Most people are expecting an 8 or a 7.

Exr

Cant wait to cancel that pre order after work today. Gonna light a cigarette after I do it, gonna be so satisfying.

The only people who hyped up TLG are the fans themselves, and like with every other game, they've set their expectations too high and will undoubtedly feel disappointed with the final product.

The cycle always continues.

That not true at all, this is a very unique situation. The game was originally hyped because ICO and SoC were considered 2 of the best PS2 games by a lot of people.
Then they start working on TLG a PS3 game. Over the next 10 years,and an entire console generation this game has been through some of the craziest up and downs of any game I have ever heard of. I don't think fans have hyped up the game so much as people are insanely curious about what the game is, and what the hell took over 10 years to make.

GKFinns

I don't see how this could possibly be a bad move for them.

They could either keep their current October release date and compete with a TON of major AAA releases.

Or they could release in the relatively empty December time and enjoy the spotlight. Last Guardian is a niche game. The fans will buy it even though it misses the Black Friday cut off time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lol @ the backtracking. Whatever makes you feel better, bro.

I agree with this. Give them more dev time and release in a time period with a lot less going on.

Even if that were true (which it isn't), pushing the game from TBD October to December is still a delay. December is later in the calendar than October.

I think what Felipe meant in the first place was that this is the first official delay because the Oct date was the first specific release date ever given. I don't want to put words in his mouth though.

Genuinely glad because this gives me a chance to wait for Black Friday sales to get my PS4(Pro?) and still play TLG on launch. Hope this isn't indicative of further problems, though.

I think the biggest disappointment for people is going to be when they realize this is probably a six hour game. For me thats fine, but I can see a lot of people losing their minds when the reviews start to roll out.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I mean if it needs it, it needs it but that doesn't stop it from being embarrassing at this point. I've already kind of written TLG off in my mind at this point so if it does turn out to be the masterpiece we once expected, it will be a nice xmas bonus.

I really don't see this as really a big deal and I've been looking forward to playing this game for years. Maybe it's because of the fact I've been waiting so long I'm not at all miffed by having to wait just a couple more months.

I bought a PS3 primarily for TLG and now I have a PS4. I feel like this is Sony's scheme to get me to keep buying their shit.

I also genuinely haven't been overhyped for the game as I was back then. The long wait has been a nice cooling off period. I can't even tell you the exact day it's supposed to be released. I'm just happy it's getting out after having been told so many times it was cancelled.

Kathian

Banned
I don't believe that new date either. Said in another thread I thought it must be getting pushed back - we've seen so little recently.

jett

D-Member
No he's not.

The game has been downgraded, at least from where I'm sitting.

Dunno, if you watch the 2016 E3 trailer the creature has much less feathers on its body (plus pink eyes), and the kid looks very different.

I just rewatched the 2016 trailer, you can barely get a good look at Trico in there, and we don't get any closeups of the boy in the 2015 trailer.

The only real downgrade I see is that the game seems to have no AA whatsoever right now, according to the media Sony has released, resulting in screens like this:

image_the_last_guardian-32648-1520_0004.jpg

A lot of the detail is lost in a mess of a pixels. The 2015 trailer didn't look like that, that's for sure.

CrisKre

Wow, WTF is going on at Sony? This is embarrassing at this point.

Not to mention the fact that they are delaying this so close to the date it was supposed to come out brings up some red flags about the final product.

Sulik2

Anyone expecting TLG to be anything, but a dumpster fire are setting themselves up for disappointment. I'd be amazed if it works and is at least average.

They have to be falling at the edges for money at this point. The debt has to be huge, to break even has to be impossible.

How the hell are they making money to keep this ancient thing alive?

BumRush

I don't think it's going to be a disaster. I think it's going to be a decent puzzle platformer that fails to make people feel the same level of emotional response they did with Ico and SotC. The legacy of those games was built in an entirely different era of gaming and critical climate. There's no way this game can have the same impact as their previous work.

Regardless, it looks like it will set a new benchmark for creature animation, so that's something. If that can translate into players feeling a strong connection Trico, and the gameplay doesn't make you constantly frustrated with him/her/it, then there's a chance this game will be talked about with reverence in a few years.

Maybe just setting my expectations low I guess. But you're right.

Top Bottom