• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Hello Lego GAF, long time lurker, just verified today. I haven't bought anything since the Jedi Defender came out but it was so worth it. Been eying Jek-14's set but I haven't committed to that price yet.

Welcome. And awesome pick for a set. It is on my radar, so I shall get it soon because the Sith Fury is mighty lonely for Old Republic awesomeness here.

Now you just need to splurge and get a Best Star and R2-D2. Allow me to tempt you and others:

Best Star Time Lapse

R2-D2 Time Lapse. Sadly, it seems they muted the audio I put to it. Just fire up Cantina Band 2 on the New Hope soundtrack while watching.

Such an attractive way to die though...we're just getting ready to work on the roof and this thing feels like such a modular.

Glad you are loving it. It really is a fantastic set, and as I said before, shames the last couple of Modular buildings. It almost feels like the next natural evolution of them, but with more spookiness.

It is a shame we wont get a new Monster Fighters set each year like we do with winter village. But I have whined about that before.

I want a huge haunted insane asylum set now.

Just found LEGO Batman 6863 (Batwing) for $25 in the clearance area of my local Wamart. Couldn't resist it for $10 off. But, damn, now I'll have to pickup the Batmobile & Funhouse.

Hello Lego GAF, long time lurker, just verified today. I haven't bought anything since the Jedi Defender came out but it was so worth it. Been eying Jek-14's set but I haven't committed to that price yet.

Welcome to the fold.

Make a login (obviously). Use the wanted list to add sets or parts you want. You can make several lists if you want. You can then get a list of which shops have the most of the things you need. You can also import part lists from other sites or LDD to make a wanted list that way.

One important thing is to change the setting for your order page, to show an icon with the things on your wanted list that were in that order. Then you can check off all of those pieces from there and not have to do it manually.

It's rather limited though, as you can't search for who has a combination of things at the lowest price.

awesome, huge thanks. I think I'll be putting together a list over the week and slowly get the stuff I've been wanting, but not as an entire set. :)

ruxtpin

Banned
argh. I always tell myself I'm going to stop collecting the CMFs, but I'm too weak. I'm now 12 packages in with only 6 figures caught (triples of the iceman and welder).

Glad you are loving it. It really is a fantastic set, and as I said before, shames the last couple of Modular buildings. It almost feels like the next natural evolution of them, but with more spookiness.

It is a shame we wont get a new Monster Fighters set each year like we do with winter village. But I have whined about that before.

I want a huge haunted insane asylum set now.

The hinges allow for the same level of intricate display detail but provide so much more playability!

Taking the four floors off of Town Hall, or trying to align the walls in Grand Emporium serves as a great example of what the Haunted House does with the space it has. I couldn't be happier with it-easily the best set I've built since Pet Shop back in February.

argh. I always tell myself I'm going to stop collecting the CMFs, but I'm too weak. I'm now 12 packages in with only 6 figures caught (triples of the iceman and welder).

I keep running out of shelf space and want to stop too.

It's gotten to the point where there's no "urgency" anymore because I know I'll get them all. I'm up to four or five elves so far (intentionally) and most of the other series 11 figs for display purposes. Really hoping the rumors of them switching up the CMFs turn out to be true.

The hinges allow for the same level of intricate display detail but provide so much more playability!

Taking the four floors off of Town Hall, or trying to align the walls in Grand Emporium serves as a great example of what the Haunted House does with the space it has. I couldn't be happier with it-easily the best set I've built since Pet Shop back in February.

murphey280.jpg

I warned you.

Stop it. Your making my Horizon Express or Haunted House decision harder every day.

It shouldn't even be a debate. Haunted House. By a thousand miles.

Besides, just look at the time tables. You have probably another year or more for Horizon Express, but supposedly little time for Haunted House. Even if Horizon Express were the better build (it isn't), the time frame for the set disappearing should put Haunted House at the top.

Having said that, allow me to tempt you some with Horizon Express.

But seriously, Haunted House. Just ask Ghostmind and Palace Brother. Horizon Express is a damn fine set, but Haunted House shames most other sets that are in print right now.

R-User!

EmperoR-User!: Congratulations my friend.

Jeff Vader: The Best Star will be completed on schedule.

EmperoR-User!: You've done well, Jeff Vader. ------ And now I sense you wish to continue your search for young LEGO.

Jeff Vader: Yes, EmperoR-User!.

EmperoR-User!: Patience, my friend. In time, LEGO will seek *you* out, and when LEGO does, you must bring it before me. LEGO has grown strong. Only together can we turn LEGO to the Brick Side of the Force.

Jeff Vader: As you wish.

EmperoR-User!: Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

wetwired

It shouldn't even be a debate. Haunted House. By a thousand miles.

Besides, just look at the time tables. You have probably another year or more for Horizon Express, but supposedly little time for Haunted House. Even if Horizon Express were the better build (it isn't), the time frame for the set disappearing should put Haunted House at the top.

Having said that, allow me to tempt you some with Horizon Express.

But seriously, Haunted House. Just ask Ghostmind and Palace Brother. Horizon Express is a damn fine set, but Haunted House shames most other sets that are in print right now.

Yup, I own all of the modulars except for Market St and haunted house bests them all. DO IT

do-it.gif

you-can-do-it-.gif

Do-It.gif

arnold.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Stop it. Your making my Horizon Express or Haunted House decision harder every day.

Haunted House, do it, do it now! Fun build, lots of simple additions you can do to make it fun, Halloween coming up great centerpiece. Also get whatever MF sets you can get while you still can, Vamp Castle, Hearse to park outside your Haunted House. I'm also a big fan of the Ghost Train and you can find it on clearance some places still.

I'd like to buy the Haunted House, VW Van and both 2012 & 2013 Winter Village sets before the year is out. But I would like a new 1080p TV for my PS4.

Decisions...

Haunted House is the best set of 2012, and in my opinion, is a better set than some of the modulars.

Yup, I own all of the modulars except for Market St and haunted house bests them all. DO IT

do-it.gif

you-can-do-it-.gif

Do-It.gif

arnold.jpg

Haunted House, do it, do it now! Fun build, lots of simple additions you can do to make it fun, Halloween coming up great centerpiece. Also get whatever MF sets you can get while you still can, Vamp Castle, Hearse to park outside your Haunted House. I'm also a big fan of the Ghost Train and you can find it on clearance some places still.
The people have spoken. It warms my cold, cold soul to see this love for Haunted House.

And I am with Ghostmind: best set of 2012. I will go further than that though. It is better than anything in 2013 too.

I'd like to buy the Haunted House, VW Van and both 2012 & 2013 Winter Village sets before the year is out. But I would like a new 1080p TV for my PS4.

Decisions...
TVs will get better and cheaper. Never buy launch hardware from Sony, because the small fixes in the second batch are good. And there will be more games at that point too.

Anybody want a 10% off one purchase as the Lego store coupon? I just bought the Goblin King for $60 at Target so my wife says no more lego for a while.

Ponn

Banned

Decisions...

My friend, I feel you because I just went through something really close to this dilemma. I finally forced myself to cancel my Amazon PS4 launch preorder to stop the back and forth. Launch games always end up piss poor in comparison to a systems life span, only two games I would want to play on it are available on PS3 and the revisions are always top notch and come with price drops. It was either PS4 which will never climb in value with time or become "retired" and hard to find or money for Brick Friday, other various sets for the rest of the year and a couple PS3 and Vita games I do actually want to play.

Always bet on Lego.

More progress on Halloween diorama. I wanted a creepy tree. It is not as cool as Wetwired's, but I am happy with it.

Wait, what's that hanging in the tree?

Oh. That poor mini figure...

Yeah, glad I grabbed tons of leaves at pab last time. Those things go fast when making a tree.

Now time to finish the outside wall and front gate.

TVs will get better and cheaper. Never buy launch hardware from Sony, because the small fixes in the second batch are good. And there will be more games at that point too.

My friend, I feel you because I just went through something really close to this dilemma. I finally forced myself to cancel my Amazon PS4 launch preorder to stop the back and forth. Launch games always end up piss poor in comparison to a systems life span, only two games I would want to play on it are available on PS3 and the revisions are always top notch and come with price drops. It was either PS4 which will never climb in value with time or become "retired" and hard to find or money for Brick Friday, other various sets for the rest of the year and a couple PS3 and Vita games I do actually want to play.

Always bet on Lego.

You both make excellent points. The TV can wait, but I'm not canceling my PS4 reserve. It's nearly paid off with the boat load of store credit that I've been sitting on for to years. I'm getting the system itself, an extra controller and the camera. Not sure if I'll buy by games as I have Gamefly.

Damn you, LEGO, you win my money.

Ponn

Banned
Wow phon, one question, are you using Warg Attack parts for your tree? I was already getting Mirkwood Spiders for my scene with the creepy trees and extra spiders.

Wow phon, one question, are you using Warg Attack parts for your tree? I was already getting Mirkwood Spiders for my scene with the creepy trees and extra spiders.
No Warg attack. Just two Werewolf sets and a shitload of pab stuff. I still have Mirkwood in my trunk. It's been there for a month or two now. Need to build it and incorporate the trees and spiders in.

Basic idea in place. Just need to find a head with a terrified face on it.

Ponn

Banned
No Warg attack. Just two Werewolf sets and a shitload of pab stuff. I still have Mirkwood in my trunk. It's been there for a month or two now. Need to build it and incorporate the trees and spiders in.

Oh cool. My draft i drew up i decided to make a haunted forest section with a big man-eating tree, kind of like from that stage from Mortal Kombat. I need more for the trunk but i was already going to incorporate alot of my Ent for it. Thought i would need more but yours looks great. Think maybe i was just looking for an excuse to get the set for the figs.

neonglow

I attended my first LUG meeting. It was nice meeting other LEGO enthusiasts and learning about all the LEGO events in the area. If there's a LUG group in your area, you should consider joining.

The best part is learning that LUG members get 15% off at tomorrow's AFOL shopping day at LEGO Retail Stores (excludes exclusive sets mentioned earlier).

I managed to get these 2 Toy Story sets there for $85 from a seller there. I now have every train set from 2010 until now.

Here's an incredible micro train station someone created:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Haunted House is the best set of 2012, and in my opinion, is a better set than some of the modulars.

Didn't 2012 also bring us the VW Camper and R2D2? If so then that's big talk. Still have mine sealed in the loft (bought it around launch), will get its first airing this Halloween

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I keep running out of shelf space and want to stop too.

It's gotten to the point where there's no "urgency" anymore because I know I'll get them all. I'm up to four or five elves so far (intentionally) and most of the other series 11 figs for display purposes. Really hoping the rumors of them switching up the CMFs turn out to be true.

So you are the reason I can't find an elf anywhere. Seriously I have 15/16 and I can't find an elf. I even hav dups of the hard to find figs.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Welcome! Sorry about your developing addiction.

Calm Killer

Anybody want a 10% off one purchase as the Lego store coupon? I just bought the Goblin King for $60 at Target so my wife says no more lego for a while.

Will it still be good in October? If so I will take it. If not ill have to pass.

Didn't 2012 also bring us the VW Camper and R2D2? If so then that's big talk. Still have mine sealed in the loft (bought it around launch), will get its first airing this Halloween

VW Camper was September 2011 according to Brickset. But R2 was May 2012. R2 was the second best set of last year in my opinion. Very unique and awesome build, and the model is so neat and fun once on display.

Welcome. Are you only into the Star Wars themes? You need a few more gateway sets to get you hooked on the UCS Star Wars sets. There have been quite a few good ones released recently.

I attended my first LUG meeting. It was nice meeting other LEGO enthusiasts and learning about all the LEGO events in the area. If there's a LUG group in your area, you should consider joining.

The best part is learning that LUG members get 15% off at tomorrow's AFOL shopping day at LEGO Retail Stores (excludes exclusive sets mentioned earlier).

Here's an incredible micro train station someone created:

I want to join a LUG, but time has been an issue. We'll see in 2014.

That is a sweet micro build. Lots of detail for that size and the design is very cool.

ghostmind

So how does the new gunship stack up against the clone wars version?

Even though the last gunship was very good, this one is better. The ship is more accurate to the film, the build is solid, and IMO itjust looks better. And of course the EP2 minifigs are far better than the horrid CW predecessors.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Super YMMV on this but if you're at a Target and they have Battle at the Black Gate in stock check the price on a price scanner, picked one up today at 70% from the stock they had initially had at 30% off late last month (the box wasn't marked as clearance).

ruxtpin

Banned
Went back to my local store today to search for a few more figs. The only ones I couldn't find were the scarecrow and the island warrior guy. Came home and placed an order on bricklink for both (and a few extras I wanted dupes of).

On a brighter note, I managed to avoid purchasing any larger sets. I wanted to get Jabba's Sail Barge or the Ewok Village, but I figure it's in my best interest to wait until October when double VIP kicks in.

Went to my local store (Potomac Mills, VA) and they had opened two new series 11 boxes. Got the Yeti, Island Warrior (was hoping he was the Scarecrow), Elf, and Gingerbread Man.

Kind of funny, went in for Duplo stuff for my kid, and ended up passing on the Duplos.

I keep feeling out Gingerbread Men and Elves so I gave em to other folks looking for them.

Still looking for the Scarecrow and I guess Mountain Climber...

Now just hoping Haunted House and Horizon Express last until double points...

Went to my local store (Potomac Mills, VA) and they had opened two new series 11 boxes. Got the Yeti, Island Warrior (was hoping he was the Scarecrow), Elf, and Gingerbread Man.

Kind of funny, went in for Duplo stuff for my kid, and ended up passing on the Duplos.

I keep feeling out Gingerbread Men and Elves so I gave em to other folks looking for them.

Plenty of time on Horizon. I would give Haunted House until Black Friday.

Calm Killer

I would have to say Potomac Mills is my favorite store I have been to. I plan on going there for double VIP in october. Hopefully I can find some elves then. Only one I need from series 11, and I would like a couple.

Ryuuroden

My store always opens new boxes for me when I request them. For series 11, they opened 2 boxes for me. It might help that I am a big purchaser there, I guess. That's pretty much the reason I was able to find everything i wanted first trip including 2 grandmas. Ended up with 40 bags I think.

It is done. Only took a month or so. And I know my wife is glad to get the dining room table back so we can eat there again.

Crappy panorama photo of the front of it.

Overhead of the Vampyre Castle area. Shelob guards the castle.

Overhead view of the graveyard and Haunted House area.

Bodies on pikes across the wall, to serve as a warning to all those that think of entering.

Body hanging from the tree. That poor blue ninja met a dishonorable death.

The front gate opens. The vampire waits to greet you.

Body along the other side of the wall. Poor skater girl with her entrails hanging out. The Paris Hilton-esque mini figure impaled next to her.

All that is missing from the chicken is a fire to roast him. And that poor cool kid now rots on the side of the wall.

The Swamp Creature lurking in the cave at the back of the lagoon. He comes to take his human bride.

Werewolf enjoying his morning coffee on the porch of his Haunted House. The Cyclops upset that he didn't get any refreshment.

The zombies busting out of the graves. A poor hiker met a grisly end at the hands of a werewolf.

Where this Ghost Train is going, it doesn't need tracks.

Ghosts flying around. I placed them all around the diorama. Man-bats fly around other spires, but I did not get pics of them. You can spy them in the panoramic photo though.

The base where Haunted House will rest. I made it so all the sets just rest on the plates and can be easily removed.

Two towers of Vampyre Castle would rest here. The front one still has the blast away BURP piece for foolish adventurers to sneak into the horror complex and meet an untimely death.
The train tracks are made to be easily removed so I can move the base plates around.

Resting place for the taller secondary tower to Vampyre Castle. The cave where the Swamp Creature is has a removable roof so I can put figures in there. The cave also goes into the torture room of the tower when it is all together.

The tree and train tracks designed to be removed for easier mini fig placement and moving of the diorama.

Base for the tree. I can rotate it to any angle I want.

A breakdown of all the baseplates used to pull this off. The front arch way is segmented so I can separate it as well. The only thing that goes between plates and must be removed before moving anything is the train tracks, but it is easily reattached.

So, this sucker will stay up until Halloween, then it is time to plot a Christmas themed scene.

Top Bottom