• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Worth it though especially if LEGO is doing less and less Pirate... which I wish they would bring back :(

also, thanks for the Bricklink recommendations. I'll be saving and spending money using it since I will be building up my Minifigure collection with it once I get my bills paid :)

What minifigures are you looking to build up? If you just buy sets (and CMFs), they will come. CMFs + just buying sets, I'm well over 400 for less then 2 years of starting to buy LEGO since I was a kid.

Won't get made, but If it gets to 10k, it may give LEGO a push to come out with a UCS like treatment for a ship. $200+ awesome ship like that would attract a lot of buyers and speculators.

EDIT: Didn't realize the Imperial Flagship was already $179 years ago. As mentioned earlier, a ship like that Scorpion would be well over $300.

$180 for Imperial Flagship, at 1664 pieces. Above the $.10 a brick threshold. Those ship hull pieces always bite. Using the same rate per brick, Scorpion would be $616. They would probably go to $599 then. That sucker is just HUGE.

Sigh. I want a new ship now.

wetwired

I finally took the time to take some quick snaps of my display for the rapidly approaching expo. Image bomb incoming...

display_01.jpg

The display finally pieced together as whole

display_02.jpg

I've ordered another road piece to go up the back between the pet store and haunted house.

display_03.jpg

My attempt at the A-Team van. I've ordered some more wheel arches in black for the rear to match the front.

display_04.jpg

I have about 10 more foot soldiers + Shredder to put in here, I may put a few standard ninjas as well that I have. Not sure where to put the minifig krang as well as the cool "animal" one

display_05.jpg

Mulder and Scully meet some aliens, this will likely be down the far right next to the ghostbusters HQ, I just can't put them there now as half the baseplates are hanging very precariously over the edge on that side.

display_06.jpg

A better view of the UFO I quickly knocked up tonight, running scarily low on pieces now.

display_07.jpg

Delorean and it's fire tire marks, Marty has fallen over it seems but I'll likely have them as if they've just gotten out of the car and acting surprised at the Batman vs Bane scene.

display_08.jpg

I had to simplify my plans for the haunted house yard, it's pretty much just overgrown now.

display_09.jpg

Superman vs Zod, not sure whether to put Zod in his power armour or not? thoughts? I have Faora too which I guess I could add to the roof somewhere.

display_10.jpg

Spidey in a little alleyway and Venom, need to think of a more dynamic way to display this, maybe hang venom too?

display_11.jpg

The Joker watches from the Town Hall as Batman faces down Bane, I haven't placed all the Policemen or Banes army of henchmen yet so pretend they're there....

I finally took the time to take some quick snaps of my display for the rapidly approaching expo. Image bomb incoming...

display_01.jpg

display_02.jpg

I've ordered another road piece to go up the back between the pet store and haunted house.

display_03.jpg

My attempt at the A-Team van. I've ordered some more wheel arches in black for the rear to match the front.

display_04.jpg

I have about 10 more foot soldiers + Shredder to put in here, I may put a few standard ninjas as well that I have. Not sure where to put the minifig krang as well as the cool "animal" one

display_05.jpg

Mulder and Scully meet some aliens, this will likely be down the far right next to the ghostbusters HQ, I just can't put them there now as half the baseplates are hanging very precariously over the edge on that side.

display_06.jpg

A better view of the UFO I quickly knocked up tonight, running scarily low on pieces now.

display_07.jpg

Delorean and it's fire tire marks, Marty has fallen over it seems but I'll likely have them as if they've just gotten out of the car and acting surprised at the Batman vs Bane scene.

display_08.jpg

I had to simplify my plans for the haunted house yard, it's pretty much just overgrown now.

display_09.jpg

Superman vs Zod, not sure whether to put Zod in his power armour or not? thoughts? I have Faora too which I guess I could add to the roof somewhere.

display_10.jpg

Spidey in a little alleyway and Venom, need to think of a more dynamic way to display this, maybe hang venom too?

display_11.jpg

The Joker watches from the Town Hall as Batman faces down Bane, I haven't placed all the Policemen or Banes army of henchmen yet so pretend they're there....

NICE! Love the overgrown yard to Haunted House. Favorite thing in that is the flaming tire marks from the DeLorean.

I like the flying saucer, but can tell you were running low on pieces based on the top of it. I really wish LEGO would make tiles or small slopes that are curves, it would open up so many possibilities. And I love how you used the ice pieces to make it look like a beam coming out of the bottom.

What is the string part coming down to the back of the dojo/alleyway building?

Also like seeing Hulk on top of the townhouse part of Pet Shop. Maybe have him stealing a pie or a kitten or something.

EDIT: WHOA! Using technic treads to make a small fence to go around a tree?! That is brilliant.

wetwired

What is the string part coming down to the back of the dojo/alleyway building?

Also like seeing Hulk on top of the townhouse part of Pet Shop. Maybe have him stealing a pie or a kitten or something.

EDIT: WHOA! Using technic treads to make a small fence to go around a tree?! That is brilliant.

Not sure what piece of string you're talking about?

I wasn't sure what to do with hulk, I thought maybe I'd have him lifting the A-Team van on the street.

I'm tempting to do the blues brothers car and get some of the blues brothers looking guys from series 11.

I can't take credit for the tree fence idea, I saw it somewhere else (can't remember where) and copied the idea.

Not sure what piece of string you're talking about?

I wasn't sure what to do with hulk, I thought maybe I'd have him lifting the A-Team van on the street.

I'm tempting to do the blues brothers car and get some of the blues brothers looking guys from series 11.

I can't take credit for the tree fence idea, I saw it somewhere else (can't remember where) and copied the idea.

I looked closer at the string. It is attached to the roof and seems to be a support cable for the antenna on the roof. At first glance it looked like it was going down the back, but obviously I was not paying enough attention.

For Blues Brothers, the car would be cool. Or maybe put them on the steps of Town Hall with a suitcase of money. They were there to pay the tax bill and get stopped as Bane and Batman pull up. It would be funny to have Dan Aykroyd in the scene twice since he is also going into battle at the Haunted House.

And no shame in stealing the tread fence idea. It is the little flourishes like that that I see in MOCs or sets that always blow me away. Stuff so simple yet so effective.

wetwired

I looked closer at the string. It is attached to the roof and seems to be a support cable for the antenna on the roof. At first glance it looked like it was going down the back, but obviously I was not paying enough attention.

For Blues Brothers, the car would be cool. Or maybe put them on the steps of Town Hall with a suitcase of money. They were there to pay the tax bill and get stopped as Bane and Batman pull up. It would be funny to have Dan Aykroyd in the scene twice since he is also going into battle at the Haunted House.

And no shame in stealing the tread fence idea. It is the little flourishes like that that I see in MOCs or sets that always blow me away. Stuff so simple yet so effective.

Ah those pieces. They're these ones. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=x127c11

Not sure where I got them from. I probably threw them I will a BrickLink order since they looked useful.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

display_01.jpg

display_02.jpg

display_03.jpg

display_04.jpg

display_05.jpg

display_06.jpg

display_07.jpg

display_08.jpg

display_09.jpg

display_10.jpg

display_11.jpg

Holy LEGO Batman. This is the best thing I have ever seen. I WANT IT ALL!!!!

What minifigures are you looking to build up? If you just buy sets (and CMFs), they will come. CMFs + just buying sets, I'm well over 400 for less then 2 years of starting to buy LEGO since I was a kid.

I honestly don't know... I pick and choose a few things...

I do hope to make some custom mixes but at the moment I do not know.

rallaren

That looks amazing, wetwired!

I just finished Garmatron. I don't really like the little ninja vehicle besides the big golden pieces. The main vehicle was kind of a bore first half of the build but got really good when it started coming together and stickers got used. I like the minifigs, especially Garmatron himself, which finally sold me on getting the set. It comes with a thick box that only 5972's compete with in my collection.

I mixed the bags this time. It felt really good to just keep on building and not having to stop to open up another bag. I'm pretty comfortable with the numbering otherwise. Any tips on how to make the building experience more enjoyable?

A pic:
Sorry about the dust. Just notcied it after looking at the photo. Edit: or is it the details in the glass, hm. Bad quality too. Looks fine as hell otherwise.

Fantomex

Hai guys. Good photos on dis here thread. I still lurk, but haven't bought legos since the Spiderman Set last year. Hopefully I'll start again soon.

display_01.jpg

Wow. Love all the small details and cameos. Besides that, in my head I'm thinking that display costs over $1600 USD based on US prices.

haha, posted a couple of updates to my facebook and got this...

facebooklol.jpg

LOL. All LEGO CMFs should have a Facebook account. That would be great marketing.

The robot guy from Series 11 has the best print on his torso. I kind of want another one to use for another minifigure. Also the islander looks as good as advertised. Had to bite the bullet and bricklink some of the figures I wanted but it beats buying up loads and loads of bags and hoping I strike it rich. Now to get the rest of them...

Source FBTB. http://www.fbtb.net/2013/09/17/lego-simpsons-tv-show-announced/

"UK-based geek site Nerdly is reporting that a LEGO Simpsons tv show is in the works a la The Yoda Chronicles. They are also confirming that a Simpsons House set will be available as a D2C set in April of 2014 accompanied by a blind bag Collectible Minifigure range with 16 minifigs in May of 2014."

Ooooh...hoping the house is a 10xxx set. Looks like we'll be getting a nice break from the regular CMFs which is great. Simpsons and LEGO Movie will take 2 of the usual 3 CMF series.

EDIT: Direct from Nerdly site which is FBTB's source.
http://www.nerdly.co.uk/2013/09/17/scoop-confirmed-lego-simpsons-sets-for-2014/

"And despite a list of proposed LEGO sets hitting the likes of Brickset and Bricks & Bloks, we can confirm that the *only* LEGO set to be launched in the first quarter of 2014 in the UK will be the Simpsons House, which is set to be made available direct to consumers (via the LEGO website and LEGO stores) in April 2014."

Works for me if get main Simpson characters in house and rest of supporting characters in CMF. Cheaper to get minifigs that way.
Now what color is LEGO going to make the house?

Key part is "first quarter".

LEGO documentary coming soon.

Deadline said:
EXCLUSIVE: For the first time, Denmark-based toymaker The LEGO Group is teaming up with filmmakers on an official docu look at the interlocking toy bricks that have fueled children’s creativity for decades. The Global Emerging Markets (GEM) Group has partnered with Oscar-winner Daniel Junge (Saving Face) and Oscar-nominated Kief Davidson (Open Heart) on Beyond The Brick: A LEGO® Brickumentary, a feature-length docu on the global phenomenon of LEGO. Brendan Kiernan and Justin Moore-Lewy are producers on the pic which will unspool through the lens of culture, art, and education. And it’s not just the pint-sized Master Builders they’re tracking; Adult Fans of LEGO (AFOLs), fan conventioneers, LEGO artists, and famous LEGO fans are also in the mix. A theatrical release in early 2014 is being targeted.

“LEGO bricks are everywhere, and this documentary is an examination of their footprint in our global community. The LEGO brick has transcended language, politics, age, race, art, science and technology – all through its ability to draw out the basic human need to create and share,” said Jill Wilfert, VP of Licensing and Entertainment for The LEGO Group. Wilfert is also exec producer on WB‘s CG animated The LEGO Movie, helmed by Chris Miller and Phil Lord (Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs) with the voices of Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman, Chris Pratt, and Elizabeth Banks. That pic is set to open February 7, 2014, headlining a LEGO-filled first quarter.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Good thought process with the Simpson sets. I would like to see a 10k series set. Minifigs sound nice as well.

neonglow

Source FBTB. http://www.fbtb.net/2013/09/17/lego-simpsons-tv-show-announced/

"UK-based geek site Nerdly is reporting that a LEGO Simpsons tv show is in the works a la The Yoda Chronicles. They are also confirming that a Simpsons House set will be available as a D2C set in April of 2014 accompanied by a blind bag Collectible Minifigure range with 16 minifigs in May of 2014."

Ooooh...hoping the house is a 10xxx set. Looks like we'll be getting a nice break from the regular CMFs which is great. Simpsons and LEGO Movie will take 2 of the usual 3 CMF series.

EDIT: Direct from Nerdly site which is FBTB's source.
http://www.nerdly.co.uk/2013/09/17/scoop-confirmed-lego-simpsons-sets-for-2014/

"And despite a list of proposed LEGO sets hitting the likes of Brickset and Bricks & Bloks, we can confirm that the *only* LEGO set to be launched in the first quarter of 2014 in the UK will be the Simpsons House, which is set to be made available direct to consumers (via the LEGO website and LEGO stores) in April 2014."

Works for me if get main Simpson characters in house and rest of supporting characters in CMF. Cheaper to get minifigs that way.
Now what color is LEGO going to make the house?

Key part is "first quarter".

That's a good choice. I'd rather get one large display set than a bunch of mini playsets.

shadow29

Neo Member
Wetwired, are you going to put the rest of the ninjas on the street or on the sides of the buildings?

Clearly I've read/watched too much over the years since I am earnestly hoping that you make it seem like they are jumping down from the roof top like they did so often in the comics and show. Though that may be a difficult to pull off.

WetWired, what did you make those Mulder and Scully figures out of? They are amazing.

I still wish I could get a black Tumbler from you. Last time I asked about it Hurricane Sandy cost me my job for four months. Now, just when I was thinking about it again, a huge fire swept through my town and burned down half of the boardwalk. *Sigh* :/

WetWired, what did you make those Mulder and Scully figures out of? They are amazing.

I still wish I could get a black Tumbler from you. Last time I asked about it Hurricane Sandy cost me my job for four months. Now, just when I was thinking about it again, a huge fire swept through my town and burned down half of the boardwalk. *Sigh* :/
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

wetwired

Wetwired, are you going to put the rest of the ninjas on the street or on the sides of the buildings?

Clearly I've read/watched too much over the years since I am earnestly hoping that you make it seem like they are jumping down from the roof top like they did so often in the comics and show. Though that may be a difficult to pull off.

I was just going to put them on the street until you said that, I will try and get some up on the building walls, as much as I can without pull the buildings apart anyway.

Yeah they're just using standard minifig pieces, nothing special, I think Scully's head is Lois Lanes.

I wasn't planning on doing any more Tumblers as each time I order it gets harder and harder to source pieces for them and the price keeps going up as a consequence :/

Calm Killer

I was just going to put them on the street until you said that, I will try and get some up on the building walls, as much as I can without pull the buildings apart anyway.

Yeah they're just using standard minifig pieces, nothing special, I think Scully's head is Lois Lanes.

I wasn't planning on doing any more Tumblers as each time I order it gets harder and harder to source pieces for them and the price keeps going up as a consequence :/

Do you have instructions you could post? That way whoever wanted one could build one? If you don't want to post them I completely understand. Just a thought.

Vyer

Wetwired, great job.

I'm always so impressed with LEGO displays at any con or exhibit I've gone to, but man i'd be nervous when it comes to people messing it up or taking something.

One of them could be from the Lex Luthor Power Armor set. The minifig on BrickLink is very inexpensive. But, the set is great so you should go out and buy it right now. I think it's almost $17 (MSRP $20) on Amazon.
Seconded. Fantastic set, great build, great figures, and all under $20.

So I went to LEGO store yesterday to pick up Jabba's Sail Barge and use my 10% coupon but I ended up coming home with this also.

yGx0zAMl.jpg

The clerk said she is pretty upset along with many customers regarding the new policy on discount.

So I went to LEGO store yesterday to pick up Jabba's Sail Barge and use my 10% coupon but I ended up coming home with this also.

yGx0zAMl.jpg

The clerk said she is pretty upset along with many customers regarding the new policy on discount.

I have the Lego Technic #9398. Do you know the differences between that and the one you got?

Video of it in action. Seriously the thing is a beast and will climb over anything, but it was disappointingly slow. I modded it to change the gear ratios, but then it just lost all torque.

Top Bottom