• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Phone, You should have the Marty Mcfly minifig turn into teen wolf.

ruxtpin

Banned
Fantastic work Phon!

This past weekend I put together Jek-14's stealth fighter. I know it's got quite the Star Wars related mark-up, but I was pretty impressed. It's a groovy looking model and the figures included are kick-ass. I'm thinking about buying a second one. May try to post pics later.

rallaren

Awesome and great job on that Halloween display, Phon!

I just received the 2011 Police set Off-Road Command Center and was postively surprised by the build and finish as always (almost).

Some pics:
mpLtXUX.jpg
nKB52Nr.jpg
uuSsJiq.jpg

Not sure if the 'center' part looks better in the front spot or back, hmm. Edit: Aha! There's glass to be shown!

Two coffee mugs! No numbered pieces in the instruction manuals with this one. I think that's a first for me. Added some unnecessary confusion imo. The boat does apparently float - good extra playability (for the little kids).

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Awesome and great job on that Halloween display, Phon!

I just received the 2011 Police set Off-Road Command Centre. Was postively surprised by the build and finish as always (almost).

Some pics:

Two coffee mugs! No numbered pieces in the instruction manuals with this one. I think that's a first for me. Added some unnecessary confusion imo. The boat does apparently float - good extra playability (for the little kids).

Numbered pieces? Do you mean numbered bags? MIX THE BAGS!!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just got a VIP email flyer from lego. Early access to buy the winter market now, or wait until October for double VIP points (all of october).

Jimbro72

Wow, that Halloween diorama is amazing! Great job on it. So many cool details sprinkled throughout it but I think my fav is the crumbling train tracks and how you handled making it look like it's already starting to fly off off it. Nicely done.

Calm Killer

just got a VIP email flyer from lego. Early access to buy the winter market now, or wait until October for double VIP points (all of october).

/Checks email

I got nothing. So we can buy the Market TODAY? Double VIP October for me. Must stay strong.

Amazing work! This is a terrific diorama. It'll be tough to take down when the time comes.

BTW-You are history's greatest monster for doing that to Blue Spaceman, aka. best fig.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. And it will be tough to take down the diorama. Mainly because I am cringing at the thought of having to disassemble it and put the pieces back into the collective. TONS of small pieces throughout.

The impaled bodies were a last second idea as I was putting the wall together. I knew if I put any figures on there, a space man had to be on it.

As for what is next? Disassembling LOTS of random sets lying around and sorting random cups of parts from other builds into the collection. That will take some time. And then maybe rebuilding Red Five X-Wing or Orthanc. Either way, I am happy that I have my dining room table back.

rallaren

Thanks for the comments, everyone. And it will be tough to take down the diorama. Mainly because I am cringing at the thought of having to disassemble it and put the pieces back into the collective. TONS of small pieces throughout.
Good God! That did not even cross my mind.

*Looks at diorama pics again*

Good God!

Good God! That did not even cross my mind.

*Looks at diorama pics again*

Good God!

The water area is made of three types of bricks, and in HUGE quantities: 1x2 clear bricks, 1x2 clear plates, 1x1 clear plates. Small detailing with a few clear cheese slopes or studs.

About the only time large bricks were used for anything it was for the bases for the Haunted House or Vampyre Castle. And then under it there are lots of 2x4 bricks for support. Now just imagine every kind of slope piece and in bulk all over the place.

Ugh. I will try not to think about it. Thankfully most of all the areas are made by similar pieces, so there are few random lil things throughout, so sorting after disassembly wont be too time consuming. It is the disassembly part that will be.

ghostmind

Superhero rumor time, courtesy of All About Bricks:

In January there will be four DC Batman sets, featuring different villains.

There will also be two sets featured in the new LEGO Juniors line... targeting the characters at a younger audience. One will be a Spider-Man car and include Venom, the other will be a simple Batcave including Batman, Robin and the Joker.

For Marvel there will be three Spider-Man sets, including additional heroes and villains, released in March. There will also be two sets based on The Avengers.

In July there will be more Marvel sets, this time based on Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men to coincide with the release of the respective movies.

OMG! X-Men finally...too bad won't be comic book versions. Spider-Man will soon become the cheapest well-known super hero minfig. Batman they can tweak the custom slightly. I hope they do more with DC outside of Batman. Junior lines will still be standard LEGO right? Just kiddified like they did with the Castle stuff.

Calm Killer

In January there will be four DC Batman sets, featuring different villains.

There will also be two sets featured in the new LEGO Juniors line... targeting the characters at a younger audience. One will be a Spider-Man car and include Venom, the other will be a simple Batcave including Batman, Robin and the Joker.

For Marvel there will be three Spider-Man sets, including additional heroes and villains, released in March. There will also be two sets based on The Avengers.

In July there will be more Marvel sets, this time based on Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men to coincide with the release of the respective movies.

Sounds exciting. I could be interested.

Xmas polybags. I like the Xmas tree one, but meh on the Santa sleigh. It has nice pieces, but looks like the one from last year with some minifigs. Sleigh does have some nice pieces though.

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=7662

Nice!

Good to see that the beautifully designed toy train is making a reappearance.

Edit: Actually...this one uses a 1x1 plate instead of a 1x2 tile to cap the cabin. The one in the Winter Village Toy Shop looks a bit better imo.

R-User!

Fantastic work on your Halloween'Orama Phonciple!!!

Your creativity has sparked a desire in my son to create a Halloween Diorama as well, but we won't start until near the end of the month, but when we finish, we'll post pics as well.

As for the Superhero rumors.... my wallet!!! :(

wetwired

It is done. Only took a month or so. And I know my wife is glad to get the dining room table back so we can eat there again.

Crappy panorama photo of the front of it.

Overhead of the Vampyre Castle area. Shelob guards the castle.

Overhead view of the graveyard and Haunted House area.

Bodies on pikes across the wall, to serve as a warning to all those that think of entering.

Body hanging from the tree. That poor blue ninja met a dishonorable death.

The front gate opens. The vampire waits to greet you.

Body along the other side of the wall. Poor skater girl with her entrails hanging out. The Paris Hilton-esque mini figure impaled next to her.

All that is missing from the chicken is a fire to roast him. And that poor cool kid now rots on the side of the wall.

The Swamp Creature lurking in the cave at the back of the lagoon. He comes to take his human bride.

Werewolf enjoying his morning coffee on the porch of his Haunted House. The Cyclops upset that he didn't get any refreshment.

The zombies busting out of the graves. A poor hiker met a grisly end at the hands of a werewolf.

Where this Ghost Train is going, it doesn't need tracks.

Ghosts flying around. I placed them all around the diorama. Man-bats fly around other spires, but I did not get pics of them. You can spy them in the panoramic photo though.

The base where Haunted House will rest. I made it so all the sets just rest on the plates and can be easily removed.

Two towers of Vampyre Castle would rest here. The front one still has the blast away BURP piece for foolish adventurers to sneak into the horror complex and meet an untimely death.
The train tracks are made to be easily removed so I can move the base plates around.

Resting place for the taller secondary tower to Vampyre Castle. The cave where the Swamp Creature is has a removable roof so I can put figures in there. The cave also goes into the torture room of the tower when it is all together.

The tree and train tracks designed to be removed for easier mini fig placement and moving of the diorama.

Base for the tree. I can rotate it to any angle I want.

A breakdown of all the baseplates used to pull this off. The front arch way is segmented so I can separate it as well. The only thing that goes between plates and must be removed before moving anything is the train tracks, but it is easily reattached.

So, this sucker will stay up until Halloween, then it is time to plot a Christmas themed scene.

Awesome, looks massive when you see it all together.

Awesome, looks massive when you see it all together.

Thanks. 144 studs wide x 48 studs deep. It hangs off a bit from the edges of the table it is on now, but no weight on those ends so I am fine. Thinking of going to get some black matte board to put behind it so I can draw out a creepy night sky or something.

neonglow

PB, that Halloween set is amazing. I love the use of dismembered LEGO minifigures. I should start trying to make MOCs of my own.

In other news, here's the first image of the Thanksgiving polybag set:

2APOqo8.jpg

wetwired

Thanks. 144 studs wide x 48 studs deep. It hangs off a bit from the edges of the table it is on now, but no weight on those ends so I am fine. Thinking of going to get some black matte board to put behind it so I can draw out a creepy night sky or something.

I have the same issue with my expo display, I pieced it together with all the roads on the weekend, it's about 205cm and the table is only about 185cm.

I'll have to take some photos of it. I knocked up a A-Team van to throw somewhere on the street last night too, very closely copied from this one, as much as I could with my limited pieces

PB, that Halloween set is amazing. I love the use of dismembered LEGO minifigures. I should start trying to make MOCs of my own.

2APOqo8.jpg

LEGO has been knocking those seasonal polybags out of the park!

That polybag is a treasure trove of useful minifig accessories. Full turkey with legs, pie, trans clear cups, cats, etc. I spy 2 wieners.

2APOqo8.jpg
I still need Fall Scene, but they have been killing it with the seasonal bags this year. So great.

Calm Killer

2APOqo8.jpg

Look at that turkey!! Love this set!!

ghostmind

Excellent - all three polys have been revealed. Too bad about the non-CMF Santa, but I guess they can't include it in every Christmas set.

Seasonal polys have been one of the highlights of 2013... Hopefully they continue next year.

A 5700 piece CUUSOO set.. yeahno. It does look glorious though - I like the comparison pic with it and the Imperial Flagship.
I know it will never happen. But it is nice. And I want Imperial Flagship. Bad.
Maybe soon I will make a huge ship MOC. Maybe next year. Next MOC will be a winter diorama.

Top Bottom