• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas was Alone is the next LRG game (coming later this month)

CsLJMfyWIAEuMvR.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/775405182943432704

I'm gonna pick this up. I'm going to assume this is also out on the 30th?

Semoreh

TWA is great, but it's a lot of money for a game that doesn't last much more than an hour and has zero replay value.

You can lend it to your friends, the value will build up :)

Just kidding. You're right on this, but I get the feeling Thomas Was Alone gets a pass. He was part of the first wave of indie games after all.

TWA is great, but it's a lot of money for a game that doesn't last much more than an hour and has zero replay value.

Its worth a replay just to listen to the directors commentary for the game. At least I found it well worth replaying for that reason, I found it really interesting.

I wonder if the DLC is included with this game like Soldner's was? Either way, I think this is a great pick, I really enjoyed playing the game through twice, and I'm sure I'll replay it another couple of times if I get my hands on the physical copy.

Cover art is beautiful, but that's a bit more money saved in September for me.

I don't know what it was, but Thomas Was Alone just didn't click with me at all. I really didn't enjoy it.

Pleased the guys who did will be getting a physical copy though. Also cool to see another dev getting repeat business with them, gives me hope for more Oddworld games.

BTA

Does it come with the DLC?

I believe the DLC was just part of the PS releases to begin with (then came to PC etc. as DLC). If I'm wrong, it's free anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I enjoyed it a decent amount (though of Bithell's games, Volume's the one I love), and should actually get around to playing the DLC bit as I'm pretty sure I never did, but I'm not itching to rebuy it.

Physical copies cost money to produce and these are collectible items.

Bringing up digital prices for the game is pretty weird. Length or age too.

If you dont like the game cool, but you don't need to try and find reasons to make this release look bad. Just skip it and ignore it.

Pretty sure even Solder was on sale for $3 and no one brought that up as a negative

If you don't like paying prices higher than digital you're probably in the wrong place anyway

Shizuka

Physical copies cost money to produce and these are collectible items.

Bringing up digital prices for the game is pretty weird. Length or age too.

If you dont like the game cool, but you don't need to try and find reasons to make this release look bad. Just skip it and ignore it.

Pretty sure even Solder was on sale for $3 and no one brought that up as a negative

Although I agree with you, all Curve Digital releases are a "poor value" for most gamers because they're consistently on sale for a dollar and have been available on PS+ before. That's pretty much their entire catalogue.

Although I agree with you, all Curve Digital releases are a "poor value" for most gamers because they're consistently on sale for a dollar and have been available on PS+ before. That's pretty much their entire catalogue.
I'm not a big fan of Curve either. I just don't think this thread is the place to express or discuss that :)

Saoshyant

I don't really get the symbols

It's their "powers". Double jump, long jump, water floating, bounce, normal direction, and inverted.

I really liked TWA, but I don't think I can justify the minimum $40 it will cost.

Also, my Shadow Complex and Rainbow Moon both arrived today. Managed to slip through customs, thankfully, otherwise I'd have half a month/another month of wait plus fees.

Shizuka

I just hope that now that the fulfillment center is out of commission, more releases will take place in the same day, allowing gamers to save on shipping.

I'm not a big fan of Curve either. I just don't think this thread is the place to express or discuss that :)

We're discussing the new LRG game, no?

I just think newer games, or games with some sort of value, would be more interesting. Not that a "bad choice" really hurts. They'll sell out no matter what to collectors, and we'll get something else down the line.

Also Curve is great, their releases just hold value worse than the latest Ubisoft game.

Really hated TWA. It's sells itself on the pretence that it's a puzzler with a story, but that story never develops into anything, and it's puzzles are never intelligent, or interesting. It's repetitive, and never develops on its initial promises.

Most of these Limited Run games seem pretty bad to be honest. There are far better games without physical releases that I would like to see feature, like Towerfall, Sports Friends, Shantae, Enter the Gungeon, Galak Z, Chariot, Furi, Velocity etc.

oggob

Not the Curve games I was hoping for...

Velocity Ultra / 2X
&
Stealth Bastard / A Game Of Clones

please?

and whilst my wallet would prefer double packs, the collector in me wants single SKUs, etc...

Wow so much TWA hate here. The game really looked like crap, which is why I ignored it for a very long time, but once I picked it up at a sale and played it, I actually liked it a lot. Looking forward to grabbing it on Vita.

emb

I've never played or seen TWA, someone sell me on it / give me an idea of what it is. Or don't, I might still look up a trailer or something before I decide whether to buy it.

This thread keeps making me realize how much I've managed to not pay attention to digital games.

Ventara

Surprised by all the TWA hate here. Game was legit good for me. As for it being on sale or free multiple times, I feel that should have zero bearing on whether it should get a limited physical release. Quality over quantity (in this case, price), and TWA certainly is fine quality, imo.

Anyways, has the print run for TWA PS4 and Vita been announced yet?

Surprised by all the TWA hate here. Game was legit good for me. As for it being on sale or free multiple times, I feel that should have zero bearing on whether it should get a limited physical release. Quality over quantity (in this case, price), and TWA certainly is fine quality, imo.

Anyways, has the print run for TWA PS4 and Vita been announced yet?

4,000 each with a limit of two per person per platform.

I'm never pleased to see a game get hate, but I'm quite interested that it's not just me that didn't enjoy this game. Always thought I was alone with that opinion.

I am actually surprised that anyone wouldn't enjoy the game.

Even if you don't like the gameplay (and lets face it, it is very basic and very easy) the game is still funny enough and over quick enough that it'd be hard to regret any time you spent with it.

Obviously if you paid $10 for it or something that may greatly affect your opinion, but purely judged as what the game itself is, price aside, it's hard to dislike.

I am actually surprised that anyone wouldn't enjoy the game.

Even if you don't like the gameplay (and lets face it, it is very basic and very easy) the game is still funny enough and over quick enough that it'd be hard to regret any time you spent with it.

Obviously if you paid $10 for it or something that may greatly affect your opinion, but purely judged as what the game itself is, price aside, it's hard to dislike.

Haha. This is exactly what I mean. Game got so much praise I thought "there's no way I won't like this!" Then I played through it and the gameplay was simple and it tried really hard to push a narrative on me that I wasn't interested in and I was left without anything to like, really. Can't remember anything being funny about it either!

Shizuka

Do you know what would be a sound strategy for Limited Run Games? They should always try to pair games on the same release date, one stronger and one "weaker" title, just like One Way Heroics and Thomas Was Alone.

People not so interested in TWA are more likely to pick it up if they're getting OWH and already paying for one shipping fee.

What's with people complaining about "hate" for Thomas was Alone?

A game can be good but still not merit, or at least be confused about a physical release. What about a three hour long game, with no replay value,that has been out for 4 years, that could have been found for $1 multiple times, screams "I need this game physically!"?

I enjoyed the game for what it was but personally I think any other Curve game would have been much more appealing.

Semoreh

What about a three hour long game, with no replay value,that has been out for 4 years, that could have been found for $1 multiple times, screams "I need this game physically!"?

On the contrary, if you take it from the heritage conservation point of view : it's about time this "classic" indie game (albeit not universally loved) gets a physical release.

But yeah, I agree we need Stealth Bastard too.
Wasn't a big fan of Velocity 2X but why not.

Ventara

What's with people complaining about "hate" for Thomas was Alone?

A game can be good but still not merit, or at least be confused about a physical release. What about a three hour long game, with no replay value,that has been out for 4 years, that could have been found for $1 multiple times, screams "I need this game physically!"?

I enjoyed the game for what it was but personally I think any other Curve game would have been much more appealing.

What's with people complaining about TWA? Discussion! And from what I'm reading, no one's complaining, just surprised considering how well received TWA was.

Though let me ask you; does a longer game, or a more expensive game, or one with more replay value, or even one that somewhat newer scream "I want this physically?" I find your train of thought here perplexing. People generally want physical copies of games they enjoy, or ones with huge file sizes, or for simply collecting. No one is looking to buy through LRG to get cheaper copies of digital games.

dgco86

Oh god. I just realized Thomas Was Alone and Mystery Chronicle will be released while I'm at a company dinner. I really hope I can sneak out a few minutes before they go live and make preparations to place an order for 1 of each game.

Oh god. I just realized Thomas Was Alone and Mystery Chronicle will be released while I'm at a company dinner. I really hope I can sneak out a few minutes before they go live and make preparations to place an order for 1 of each game.

Just say the food made your stomach upset and run off! They aren't going to check, hopefully....

I used stomach problems all the time back in the day, now they are true sadly.

Jimm

I think Thomas was Alone will be the first LRG release that I skip.
Just not my type of game. I'd love to keep buying everything but I know this day would come eventually or I'd be either very poor or have a lot of games I don't like.
I'm sure I'll still be buying the majority of releases, so keen for Dragon Fantasy and I hope we do get the first game too like it was hinted!

LQX

Seeing Thomas was Alone get a release sort made think to myself why the fuck am I buying these games. For starters I cant bring myself to open them and now I'm paying close to $30 for a game I paid $1-$5 years ago. Ugh, I hate to skip this but...

Az987

all good things
Seeing Thomas was Alone get a release sort made think to myself why the fuck am I buying these games. For starters I cant bring myself to open them and now I'm paying close to $30 for a game I paid $1-$5 years ago. Ugh, I hate to skip this but...

Yeah I just thought the same thing.

I liked it better when the releases weren't nearly as often.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah I just thought the same thing.

I liked it better when the releases weren't nearly as often.

Does that mean you would have bought Thomas Was Alone if no LRG games had come out in the last two months?

Time to stop collecting and just buy what you like.
I should take my own advice too...

Hey LRG, please put the older PS3 game Shatter on PS4 disc. Great fun game that needs more permanent love in the physical world. Oh, and Everyday Shooter too. I loved both of them. Is it possible? Please look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom