• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad DDOS Brings Down multiple Daybreak Studios titles

Liberty4all

Banned
So I noticed planetside 2 has been down all day. Searching the ps2 reddit it appears that multiple titles from Daybreak are down or have been affected including H1Z1, planetside 2 (still down).

the DDOS started 10 minutes after Smedley CEO of Daybreak took to reddit with his story of how lizard squad has effected his life .... Everything from credit identity theft, SWATTED multiple times, bogus income tax filing, defacing Smedley's fathers grave, to having Smedley's plane downed with a bomb threat:

JohnSmedley said:
I normally don't weigh in on subjects relating to me personally, but I will this time.
I'm extremely angry that the Finnish justice system chose to let Julius Kivimaki off with a 2 year suspended sentence. This guy is the worst kind of bad news.

He's been involved for years in every kind of terrible thing you can imagine including Carding, hacking, swatting people all over the world. He's also participated in a major way in DDOS attacks that caused a lot of grief for gamers and a lot of economic damage to the companies that make and run games.

He was the guy that brought down my flight with a bomb threat. I've heard the entire recording where he convinced an airline customer service agent there was a bomb on the plane. He also in conjunction with others has sent me pictures of my father's grave with nasty stuff on it. I've had my entire credit history put out on the internet including my SSN and my families info. We've had multiple social networks and other things hacked and had my family members called.

I've also been swatted (multiple times) and had over 50 false credit applications submitted in my name and had to deal with the ramifications of what happens to your credit when this kind of thing happens. It's not good. And to top it all off they decided to submit false tax returns.
So to put this bluntly - I want this kind in jail for a long time. You shouldn't be able to do crap like this without any hint of a consequence. I plan on doing everything in my power to see him get what's coming to him in court one way or another. What he just got convicted of were over 50,000 separate incidents of hacking and other nastiness. This has nothing to do with the downing of the plane or the DDOS stuff he did or the things he did to me (not just me btw he did this to a lot of other people too). Those cases are still pending, but they have him dead to rights.

So you guys can debate this.. and that's all well and good, but meanwhile this shit is real to my life and my family's life and I'm sure as hell not lying down for it for a second. I've been working with law enforcement to put him and others into jail where they belong. Some of them are minors which makes it tough. Most of them are outside the US, which makes it tougher. But I'm patient and I'm going to be relentless about this.
Smed

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/...ceo_to_go_after_hacker_who_downed_his/csxjztr

Followed by this: https://mobile.twitter.com/LizardLands/status/619254664261992449?lang=en

Full story here:

Yesterday, the chief executive officer of publisher Daybreak Games made headlines for threatening a group of cyberattackers. Today, the company’s website and games are experiencing outages.

At 2:13 p.m. Pacific time today, a Twitter account claiming to represent the Lizard Squad cyberattackers began targeting the Daybreak zombie massively mutliplayer online game H1Z1. Moments later, people began having connectivity problems not just with that game but also with several other Daybreak releases and its website. Even the Daybreak Games server-status page is struggling to load. Lizard Squad is the same group that took responsibility for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One holiday assault that knocked those services offline around the time of Christmas.

Daybreak CEO John Smedley has taken to Twitter to confirm that the company’s network is under a distributed denial-of-service attack.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/09/h...r-ceo-threatened-lizard-squad-cyberattackers/

Annoying, I just subscribed to planetside 2. Kinda frustrating.

I doubt this is going to dissuade or prevent him from pursuing justice and speaking out. It'll probably just motivate and draw more water.

Liberty4all

Banned
You guys get real salty at non punishment based justice systems dont you?

I'm Canadian, I believe in rehabilitation. With that said Smedley's story is rage inducing. Swatted multiple times, credit ruined, bogus income tax filed, plane he was on downed with a bogus bomb threat, etc

prwxv3

Guys you don't get that they are just trying to get companies to improve their security.
a lizard squad member actually said this.

SeanTSC

SWATing, Credit tampering, and BOMB THREATS that ground planes deserve punishment. How could no punishment for that kind of shit be even remotely reasonable?

SnakeEyes

Banned
In this instance, hell yeah. These little shits need to be punished, and I can understand why Smedley felt like the recent ruling was a slap in the face to the suffering he and others have had to endure.

prwxv3

I'm Canadian, I believe in rehabilitation. With that said Smedley's story is rage inducing. Swatted multiple times, credit ruined, plane he was on downed with a bogus bomb threat, etc

Jesus did the asshats ever give a reason why they were doing that shit to him?

Drewly

Banned

This just shows how much effect their justice system has. Lets just continue doing our stupid shit because there is no way we're getting punished for a ddos attack if SWATing and bomb treats aren't even considered serious offenses.

Zambayoshi

So obviously the slap on the wrist that Julius received has worked wonders as a deterrent (if Finland's justice system even intended it as such).

pants

This just shows how much effect their justice system has. Lets just continue doing our stupid shit because there is no way we're getting punished for a ddos attack if SWATing and bomb treats aren't even considered serious offenses.

You have no idea what you are talking about. It's quite the opposite.

Liberty4all

Banned
Jesus did the asshats ever give a reason why they were doing that shit to him?

He is going after the one they caught with lawsuits I think ... Smedley has also been super vocal about denouncing lizard squad which has predictably lead to them going after him even harder I think.

It's all in the links i posted in OP.

prwxv3

Yeah. That's why Smedley was so pissed the guy they caught convicted of 50,000 offences got off with nothing.

I'm personally conflicted about it all ... At 17 the guy is a kid but the stuff they were doing was serious shit ....

And now he is probably going to continue to do that shit since he knows he won't get punished harshly.

Obviously the outrage is directed for their actions collectively, not just this. So enough with the "hurrhurr why so mad over a video game multiplayer mode" BS if that's the assumption you or others are making. As for my take, you'd think a group that constantly threatens both the livelihoods and LIVES of people would warrant a much harsher sentence to discourage other members and incentivies ratting out one another. And yes I think threatening multiple lives directly can be treated through rehabilitative means... over 5 years worth of it of course.

danthefan

Yeah. That's why Smedley was so pissed the guy they caught convicted of 50,000 offences got off with nothing.

I'm personally conflicted about it all ... At 17 the guy is a kid but the stuff they were doing was serious shit ....

Was he actually convicted of swatting and calling in bomb threats?

SoulUnison

Banned
Man, i wish I'd known back in the 90s that I could be an entitled, vengeful little cyber brat and get a slap on the wrist and an industry job for it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, why wouldn't they do this? The chances of getting caught are slim, and the consequences are non existent. It's free lulz.

pants

Obviously the outrage is directed for their actions collectively, not just this. So enough with the "hurrhurr why so mad over a video game multiplayer mode" BS if that's the assumption you or others are making. As for my take, you'd think a group that constantly threatens both the livelihoods and LIVES of people would warrant a much harsher sentence to discourage other members and incentivies ratting out one another. And yes I think threatening multiple lives directly can be treated through rehabilitative means... over 5 years worth of it of course.

The only assumption I am making is you have antiquated thoughts like 'hurr durr we want people punished first and foremost fuck everything else and fuck the future' which your very post is a testament to.

Abounder

Banned
He's a cyber terrorist and should be treated accordingly. He probably ratted out hacker friends but that's not much of an assurance considering the perp will be out in the public in no time at all

I don't think salt is the appropriate word given the fucking laughable sentence given to a notorious cyber terrorist that his friends just laughed off to continue their fuckery.

Edit: Swatting in America should be the equivalent of attempted murder. He should be in juvenile detention at least until the age of 21.

chocoedd

He was the guy that brought down my flight with a bomb threat. I've heard the entire recording where he convinced an airline customer service agent there was a bomb on the plane. He also in conjunction with others has sent me pictures of my father's grave with nasty stuff on it.

Why give the guy harsh sentence? He did not hurt and kill anyone. This is sarcasm by the way.

The only assumption I am making is you have antiquated thoughts like 'hurr durr we want people punished first and foremost fuck everything else and fuck the future' which your very post is a testament to.

so what should I call you

a lizard squad member or your honor

Clearly, a total lack of consequence is working wonders here.

You need to realize that supporting the basic idea of being grounded for grown ups, doesn't necessarily mean that you support private prison industry fill quotas, lobbyists and pocketed politicians, fine rackets supplementing city/state budget, expected brutality from law enforcement and staff, prison rape and violence, inhumane conditions, torture, post-release stigma and denial of opportunity, systematic exploitation and oppression, legal inequality across classes and draconian nonsense etc

pants

You're shooting everyone down, but you're not saying why. I'm curious to get your perspective on this.

I'm not talking from perspective but what is proven to work and what is not. There was a big thread about this very subject 2/3 days ago I'm not going to retread it, everything is in there but it just seems people want to ignore everything about reality and make sure X guy gets his.

Anyway. Can we move away from this facet of this story, let's rather focus on how this impacts players, people like smedley, the future success/sales of the games itself and how security could be improved to catch some of these things etc.

Debating criminal justice systems on here is a waste of everyone's time.

Top Bottom