• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad DDOS Brings Down multiple Daybreak Studios titles

KHlover

Banned
pants is right though, the Finnish system DOES work. A lot better than the US system at least. It's understandable to want revenge, but it does more bad than good in the long term.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm Canadian, I believe in rehabilitation. With that said Smedley's story is rage inducing. Swatted multiple times, credit ruined, bogus income tax filed, plane he was on downed with a bogus bomb threat, etc

Not to mention sexual exploitation, they were asking women on twitter to post photos with their bras or nude to bring back PSN.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm not talking from perspective but what is proven to work and what is not. There was a big thread about this very subject 2/3 days ago I'm not going to retread it, everything is in there but it just seems people want to ignore everything about reality and make sure X guy gets his.

Anyway. Can we move away from this facet of this story, let's rather focus on how this impacts players, people like smedley, the future success/sales of the games itself and how security could be improved to catch some of these things etc.

Debating criminal justice systems on here is a waste of everyone's time.

So you shoot down several people, get pressed for an answer, and then do this:

200_s.gif

so you don't have to actually explain yourself? LOL Good grief man.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know what kind of ridiculous tap on the wrists these guys have been getting, but their offenses are not something that should be let pass. Do they need to actually kill someone physically to get punished seriously?

Kalentan

pants is right though, the Finnish system DOES work. A lot better than the US system at least. It's understandable to want revenge, but it does more bad than good in the long term.

So the fact that this kid got off easy and now is an example of why they shouldn't care about punishment, is a good thing? Now more of them are going to do this in the belief that they will get away scoff free. Yeah, maybe in small cases this would make sense. But this is Cyber terrorism, not stealing a candy bar at a store.

Piggus

You guys get real salty at non punishment based justice systems dont you?

Typically there are consequences when you ruin people's lives, put people's lives in danger, and cause millions of dollars in damage via lost revenue. I know, it's a really hard concept to understand.

Nobody is saying this dumbass should be executed at dawn. We're saying people aren't going to stop doing this shit if the consequence is nothing but some harsh words and a slap on the wrist. I guarantee you that not a single one of his fuckstain friends are looking at this and thinking "oh man better get out before that happens to me." At a certain point the risk does not outweigh the lulz.

Thankfully he's probably going to face a harsher sentence once other charges are brought against him.

dodgeme

Personally these little shits deserve to have their life's fucked up.

While it's annoying when they bring down an entire gaming network, that's passable I suppose, but when you start messing with someone's livelyhood and family you deserve to have the same if not worse done to you. This swatting shit needs to end and some of these "kids" need to get some real sentences already to shut them the fuck up.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There are already plenty of people saying we should let these little pricks off with a warning, and try to rehabilitate them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076662

"Rehabilitate"? I don't understand. These people are very smart and technologically gifted. They are not mentally ill. They are people who cause this kind of shit specifically because they know nothing is going to happen to them in the country that they operate.

"Rehabilitate"? I don't understand. These people are very smart and technologically gifted. They are not mentally ill. They are people who cause this kind of shit specifically because they know nothing is going to happen to them in the country that they operate.

Exactly.

Personally these little shits deserve to have their life's fucked up.

While it's annoying when they bring down an entire gaming network, that's passable I suppose, but when you start messing with someone's livelyhood and family you deserve to have the same if not worse done to you. This swatting shit needs to end and some of these "kids" need to get some real sentences already to shut them the fuck up.
Sadly it will probably take someone to get killed from a swatting before they start taking it more seriously.

Piggus

Can we not assume that the "US system" is the only alternative? There are also harsher punishments within the Finnish system obviously. Saying they were too light on him doesn't automatically mean he should be in some US prison.

I also find it funny how foreigners seem to think all US prisons are bleak, gang-infested death centers.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Do they not have extradition agreement with the US?
Someone should bring up charges over here, at least some of them are happening on US soil right?

SmartBase

I'd love to hop on the revenge justice bandwagon present in here but the Finnish justice system knows better than a bunch of angry gamers.

He hasn't even been convicted for the more serious offences yet.

Hip Hop

Man. I hope they catch the rest of these guys and have them all sit in a corner and think about what they have done!!
Not just any corner though, they deserve "prison cells" that resemble a nice little vacation hotel room, with a bunch of entertainment at your disposal! That way they will definitly learn the consequence of what they truly have done.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'd love to hop on the revenge justice bandwagon present in here but the Finnish justice system knows better than a bunch of angry gamers.

Appealing to authority is not a very good argumentative tactic.

You could try to dissuade the concerns of people, or at least attempt to make an argument other then saying "I'm sure they know better".

Overall maybe its a good thing but in this one instance, it seems to have failed. They are laughing about it. Looks like its really working wonders.

Alo0oy

Banned

Is this a serious post? Their crime isn't only bringing down PSN, they did much more, like:

- Credit theft.
- Bomb threat.
- Bogus income tax filing.
- Sexually exploiting women on twitter.
- Doxxing.

But yeah, it's just a bunch of angry gamers.

dodgeme

I'm just waiting for them to piss off the wrong people on the Internet and we get a war between competing interests of "hackers". There's others just as capable as they are and could easily fuck their lives up.

Permanently A

I dunno what you guys are arguing about. Like Smedley said the 2 years thing is only for DDOS, the more serious stuff like the false bomb threat and credit fraud does not yet have a verdict.

Suikoguy

I dunno what you guys are arguing about. Like Smedley said the 2 years thing is only for DDOS, the more serious stuff like the false bomb threat and credit fraud does not yet have a verdict.

Wait what? They only give verdicts on one thing at a time, or are they trying him separately for other things?

Typically related charges are brought together.

Not just any corner though, they deserve "prison cells" that resemble a nice little vacation hotel room, with a bunch of entertainment at your disposal! That way they will definitly learn the consequence of what they truly have done.

I'd rather they be in cushy prison cells than actively destroying lives, yes. I don't care if they have PlayStation and blowjobs every day, just get them the fuck off the street until they aren't a threat to society.

There's no reason prison has to be brutal, that's not what it's there for. That is the only defense of the Finish justice system you'll see from me on this matter.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's really sad that this is their response rather than humility, just put the guns down and stop fucking it up for the rest of us.

fedexpeon

Banned
Just take them to court and sue.
If they can't afford it as a minor, you can go after the guardian for financial burden.

Suikoguy

Can't rehab those that show no remorse. Or, alternatively, the punishment was nowhere near severe enough to cause them to be remorseful.

I don't know if "can't" is the right word, but incredibly difficult if not impossible would fit.

Remorse really is a key indicator if someone can be rehabilitated, and for the record I think the US Prison system should be more focused on rehabilitation then it is now.

Majanew

Banned
Society's overpopulation will be fine without these worthless pieces of shits taking part in it. They had their chance just like everyone else, but they decided to terrorize people with the potential of someone being murdered/injured.

It's disgusting and amazing how many people defend these scumbags like all they need is a hug and a good therapy session.

Alo0oy

Banned
Society's overpopulation will be fine without these worthless pieces of shits taking part in it. They had their chance just like everyone else, but they decided to terrorize people with the potential of someone being murdered/injured.

It's disgusting and amazing how many people defend these scumbags like all they need is a hug and a good therapy session.

It's amazing how there's a defense force for everything on the internet.

The only assumption I am making is you have antiquated thoughts like 'hurr durr we want people punished first and foremost fuck everything else and fuck the future' which your very post is a testament to.

Sorry if I appeared rude and presumptious, since that is something that people have the gall to assume. That said, defensive much? Not gonna go on debating the poltical and moral ethics of prison systems (this thread is going to go there regardless :p), but I never said the (american?) prison system was perfect. I don't want the brat to come out of prison a scarred thug convert, but 2years in a pampered prison (as in more than what you see in a motel, not just comfortable and safe unlike certain prisons) and doing some service which could be done facetiously isn't going to do jack shit to rehabilitate either. Something needs to keep him faaar away from his peers for enough time for the group to be weakened into irrelevancy and for him to be completely cleared of bad influences (considering the prison is not the type you despise), and he needs what clearly needs to be a new brand of intensive psychological treatment, since cyber crimes seem to be so impersonal for offenders. Wasted time towards THAT is enough punishment and reason for fear, and that's a leverage that needs to exist so efforts can be made into stopping others. Idk, but asking companies to " get good" seems a little unfair as well

SmartBase

Appealing to authority is not a very good argumentative tactic.

You could try to dissuade the concerns of people, or at least attempt to make an argument other then saying "I'm sure they know better".

It's not really an argument I'm trying to make, the recidivism rates speak for themselves.

Is this a serious post? Their crime isn't only bringing down PSN, they did much more, like:

- Credit theft.
- Bomb threat.
- Bogus income tax filing.
- Sexually exploiting women on twitter.
- Doxxing.

But yeah, it's just a bunch of angry gamers.

There's no verdict for those other crimes yet, so yes.

So basically "this thing is good and therefore it can never ever be not good."

Never wrote that, but good on you for making the connection.

Top Bottom