• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

I reallly want every other browser to steal Chrome's ombibar. No reason to have a separate bar for search!

i understand that a normal user may like it, but i can assure you that from a development point of view is a pain in the ass...

everytime i have to test something on some new virtual host i have to type http:// at the beginning, otherwise that dumb thing thinks that i'm searching on google...

give us the option to have search bar and address bar, not just the damn omnibar...

Since I like Windows 8 less than I thought, I might give OS X a new chance. Too bad there's no device that appeals to me.

And the fact that 10.8 doesn't run on a four year old Mac like the first gen Air is a really shitty move.

Oh, and could a mod change the thread title? Apple dropped the "Mac" from "Mac OS X". It's just "OS X" now.

No device? The Air is one of the best notebooks on the market, regardless of OS.

I have an OG iPad, will buy an iPad 3 day one and currently don't need a notebook. My desktop PC slaughters any cheap Mac and I don't want to give up my three screens. So no, there's no Mac that appeals to me.

numble

I have an OG iPad, will buy an iPad 3 day one and currently don't need a notebook. My desktop PC slaughters any cheap Mac and I don't want to give up my three screens. So no, there's no Mac that appeals to me.

How does Metro work with 3 screens?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have MSN support in iChat/Messenger, but no Microsoft app. I believe I did use Cocoon, but I'm not 100% certain.

It's Cocoon that adds MSN support to Messages, just tried it. Didn't have MSN in there prior to it (and I had MSN from Office 2010 previously).

noah111

Still Alive
What do the OS X notifications look like?
ios-5-style-notifications-mountain-lion-5.jpg

Two types, one that just shows the notification, and another that puts an 'open' option along with a 'close' one.

ios-5-style-notifications-mountain-lion-2.jpg

And swipe two fingers to the left (no matter what you're doing/what application open) to pull this out;

mountain-lion-notification-center.png

NekoFever

And swipe two fingers to the left (no matter what you're doing/what application open) to pull this out;

mountain-lion-notification-center.png
How does that work with two-fingered scrolling? Does the swipe have to be a quick movement to trigger that rather than, say, scrolling a Safari page to the left?

KtSlime

How does that work with two-fingered scrolling? Does the swipe have to be a quick movement to trigger that rather than, say, scrolling a Safari page to the left?

Start from the far right of the trackpad and pull left, like you would at the far top of the iPad/iPhone screen and pull down.

noah111

Still Alive
Well Safari already has a two finger swipe to the right to go back, and two fingers left to go forward, but if a page is horizontally scrollable, you can also do that too for the most part. It just detects it.

I don't know how this will work when using Safari's forward feature, i'm sure they figured something out in either swipe detection or have limited the twi finger swipe to only go back, and not forward.

I'd love to try this out but I don't have a developers program, the only option is torrenting it and i'm not sure how reliable that is.

[edit]
Start from the far right of the trackpad and pull left, like you would at the far top of the iPad/iPhone screen and pull down.
Oh so it only works if you two-finger swipe from the edge of the trackpad? That makes sense.

NekoFever

Well Safari already has a two finger swipe to the right to go back, and two fingers left to go forward, but if a page is horizontally scrollable, you can also do that too for the most part. It just detects it.
Fair enough. I have mine set up to go back on a three-finger swipe, so I guess on the default settings it's not creating any new clashes.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
That's great and all but are they going to let you delete icons from Launchpad and did they figure out a fix for resizing image thumbnails in Finder?

I can't believe I even have to ask this shit on here.

SeanR1221

That depends on what you plan on doing with an HTPC, this won't be replacing an HTPC with a cable card or tv tuner. Also, at the moment it looks like you can only stream your entire screen, not just certain windows which wouldn't be ideal for replacing an htpc.

I'd use it for movies/music I have. I know my fiancé would love streaming shows like Glee and Gossip Girl to the tv instead of watching them in the browser of her MacBook on the CW and Fox web pages.

noah111

Still Alive
Fair enough. I have mine set up to go back on a three-finger swipe, so I guess on the default settings it's not creating any new clashes.
Yeah, I use three finger swipe to switch from tab to tab so that probably wouldn't work well for me.

And nice wallpaper, i'm already using for my space desktop walls.

Xun

I take it I'd have to upgrade to Lion before I get this?

I never got Lion due to the software I use.

giga

And the fact that 10.8 doesn't run on a four year old Mac like the first gen Air is a really shitty move.
The original Air doesn't have a 64-bit EFI. It's 32-bit. That means it doesn't run a 64-bit kernel, which subsequently means it can't run 64-bit kernel extensions.

10.8 requires a Mac with a 64-bit kernel.

Not being able to use the back key to go back in safari sucks...
CMD and [ just as per finder now . . . DAMMIT!!
Change your keyboard shortcuts in prefs.

Not being able to use the back key to go back in safari sucks...
CMD and [ just as per finder now . . . DAMMIT!!

wait, really?! oh, thank GOD! I've been doing Code Year and I can't tell you the number of times I've hit the backspace key to try and erase a bit of code, realize my cursor was no longer focused in the textbox, and safari took me back a page, making me lose my work :( :( :(

Change your keyboard shortcuts in prefs.

Shh, quit makin' sense >_>

The original Air doesn't have a 64-bit EFI. It's 32-bit. That means it doesn't run a 64-bit kernel, which subsequently means it can't run 64-bit kernel extensions.

10.8 requires a Mac with a 64-bit kernel.

I bet the owners of the OG Air, who are still satisfied with it, are going to love this explanation. And I'm sure the few 2006 MacBook users out there are thrilled as well. And others who own something from this list:
  • Anything with an Intel GMA 950 or x3100 integrated graphics card
  • Anything with an ATI Radeon X1600
  • MacBook models released prior to 2008
  • Mac Mini released prior to 2007
  • iMac models released prior to 2007
  • Original MacBook Air
(lol at MacBook owners)

What I want to say: This is bullshit.

I bet the owners of the OG Air, who are still satisfied with it, are going to love this explanation. And I'm sure the few 2006 MacBook users out there are thrilled as well. And others who own something from this list:
  • Original MacBook Air
(lol at MacBook owners)

My first-run Macbook got fucked by Lion, so this is par for the course. The lack of iCloud on Snow Leopard really really stings.

Tobor

I sold my 2007 MacBook for $350 bucks a month ago and bought a new Mini for this very reason. You have to upgrade your hardware every now and then, it's not the end of the world.

Cheebo

Banned
My first-run Macbook got fucked by Lion, so this is par for the course. The lack of iCloud on Snow Leopard really really stings.

Why would they add new OS features to old OS's? That isn't the norm for really any OS upgrades as far as I can recall. It's the point of new OS's in general.

One thing that has always annoyed me after I switched to OSX is how I cannot merge folders of the same names, but can only replace them when moving folders with the OS.
I know it might be something fundamental with the OS that can never be done (not sure the technical implications of this), but I would love at least the option to do so in a future iteration.

Let's be honest though. Anyone who bought the original MacBook Air was a bit of a fool.

(Unless you needed a ultra-portable laptop for a specific usage, in which case the purchase decision is completely justifiable.)

Also, the more I think about it, the less I think we need to worry about Mountain Lion's stability. It seems like a lot of the features are already half built in to 10.7.3, and that is pretty stable.

giga

• Original MacBook Air
(lol at MacBook owners)

The top two criteria overlap with the others. I agree it sucks for those owners, but it's not some arbitrary cutoff. All of those models use a 32-bit EFI chip.

Since OS X, Apple's game has been to end support for older systems to keep the platform forward. 10.5 dropped support for the G3. 10.6 dropped support for PowerPC. 10.7 dropped support for 32-bit processors. 10.8 is dropping support for 32-bit EFI.

One thing that has always annoyed me after I switched to OSX is how I cannot merge folders of the same names, but can only replace them when moving folders with the OS.
I know it might be something fundamental with the OS that can never be done (not sure the technical implications of this), but I would love at least the option to do so in a future iteration.
This was added in Lion.

As weird as it sounds, I need OSX for its pretty damn stellar X11. I never had much luck using Cadence while I worked on my B.S.

I sold my MBP to help finance my desktop 2 years ago. Now I realize I should have probably just bought a new laptop. Seeing as I will be starting my part time school, full time work masters this fall, a laptop will be a must. I need something light that I can log into unix with but at the same time not have to lug my huge work laptop around.

Is there a rumor going that the entire macbook line is going to get "air'ed"?

sikkinixx

Very cool stuff. Killing support for older machines doesn't crush me too much. hell I'm still using Leopard on my G4.

Still... my 2010 MBA needs an update now, dat Core 2 Duo

giga

Really? I swear I just tried doing it and it only allowed me the option to replace. :S
Are you moving or copying the folder? You'll only get the option if it's a copy operation. Try a copy/paste or holding down option when drag and dropping.

ascii42

• Original MacBook Air
(lol at MacBook owners)

I bought a Power Mac G5 in the Summer of 2005. How do you think I felt when Snow Leopard came out 4 years later. But you know what, I got by. I got almost another 2 years out of that computer.

Are you moving or copying the folder? You'll only get the option if it's a copy operation. Try a copy/paste or holding down option when drag and dropping.

Thanks, I think that must be it, I was moving and not copying. Come to think of it, I think I did merge folders before but just forgot about it.

Kosmo

Banned
Since I like Windows 8 less than I thought, I might give OS X a new chance. Too bad there's no device that appeals to me.

Oh, and could a mod change the thread title? Apple dropped the "Mac" from "Mac OS X". It's just "OS X" now.

I think this is actually one of Apples best policies - they are not trying to support decade old machines and code. Sometimes they just say "This is the new standard, old things won't work with it" which is something that gets MS in trouble with Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom