• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

I'm not sure if I like the iOS type of features in this. :/

I think the ones we see in ML (iCloud docs, notifications) make more sense than what was added in Lion (e.g.: Launchpad)

My main concern with the iOS-ification of OS X is the sandboxing requirements to get into the Mac App Store. That will hobble some current MAS apps

And since only MAS apps are allowed to use iCloud, it creates a potential dilemma for some devs who want to balance some features vs the convenience of iCloud syncing.

NekoFever

It's a separate issue, but I don't understand the sandboxing requirement. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, because I can't remember the last time an app from a legitimate source was compromised or found to do anything malicious to other apps. And the code signing in Gatekeeper solves the first issue in a much more elegant, less restrictive way, without hamstringing MAS apps.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm not sure if I like the iOS type of features in this. :/
I love them. If I create a reminder at work, when I get home they've synced down to my iPad and my MacBook Air. If I create a note on my Air, it goes directly to my iPad and iPhone. If I take a photo with my iPhone of police beating up an innocent civilian, It's been synced to my PhotoStream before the cop has a chance to confiscate my phone. (Topical!)

But seriously. It's birilliant.

But I don't like Messages on Mountain Lion because I can't get them to work. Any messages I send or get sent sync between my iPad and iPhone, but never show up on my MacBook Air which is where I really want them. I want to be able to send a message from any of the three devices to anyone in my iPhone Contacts (All of which are family and ALL of which have iPhones, so it's not a phone issue) and have them be synced across all my other devices. Messages is the only app in ML that doesn't work like the other iOS-like apps do. I don't get it. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Awesome.. Sparrow crashes non stop. Dont know what happened but I cant even open the program.

Settings & now Handbrake doing the same thing...

Any help? Thinking of just reformatting my 2012 Mac Book Air but with the new OS just around the corner, thinking ill hold off a few days.

giga

If any of y'all use droplr or cloudapp, check out droplings.

http://droplings.com/

It's basically the same as the former two apps, but it uses your Dropbox storage instead. So file size and storage isn't limited to what they offer but what you have left in your Dropbox.

It can automatically copy the direct link uploaded as well if you hold shift.

mIH4j.png

But I don't like Messages on Mountain Lion because I can't get them to work. Any messages I send or get sent sync between my iPad and iPhone, but never show up on my MacBook Air which is where I really want them. I want to be able to send a message from any of the three devices to anyone in my iPhone Contacts (All of which are family and ALL of which have iPhones, so it's not a phone issue) and have them be synced across all my other devices. Messages is the only app in ML that doesn't work like the other iOS-like apps do. I don't get it. Has anyone gotten this to work?

I'm having the same issue. Do we have to wait for iOS6 or something?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm having the same issue. Do we have to wait for iOS6 or something?
Anyone else? Is it just not in place yet? It was my impression that with ML, your messages would also sync to your computer as well so it didn't matter if you were out on your iPhone, lounging with your iPad or sitting at your Mac if you got a message. This is what I want. This is the future. And I hope it fixes itself.

I don't use AIM. I don't use all the other message systems Messages supports. I just want my text/iMessages to go to my computer as well and sync the conversation like they do on my iPad and iPhone.
If any of y'all use droplr or cloudapp, check out droplings.

http://droplings.com/

It's basically the same as the former two apps, but it uses your Dropbox storage instead. So file size and storage isn't limited to what they offer but what you have left in your Dropbox.

It can automatically copy the direct link uploaded as well if you hold shift.

mIH4j.png
Interesting. I've been looking for an image hosting system with an easy to upload system that didn't suck like Minus' terrible Menu Bar Application. Can I use this to upload images and then post them here or anywhere else? Does DropBox's FREE account work that way now? I switched to Google Drive but am not satisfied with it and might switch back to DropBox even though their free storage is less than half of what Google offers. (I only switched to Google Drive because of the thought that iOS Chrome might one day support saving files to it.)

frico

I love them. If I create a reminder at work, when I get home they've synced down to my iPad and my MacBook Air. If I create a note on my Air, it goes directly to my iPad and iPhone. If I take a photo with my iPhone of police beating up an innocent civilian, It's been synced to my PhotoStream before the cop has a chance to confiscate my phone. (Topical!)

But seriously. It's birilliant.

Change your caller ID to your email address instead of your phone number on your iphone and ipad. Then all your iMessages will sync across all 3 devices. That is what I did and it works for me. Note, if people message your phone number this will not sync to your computer.

NekoFever

I've found iMessages being flaky when syncing between my iPhone and iPad. I turned it off on the iPad when I didn't get an important message on my phone and found it on the iPad when I got home. I'll use it on my laptop because I'll always have my phone on me when I'm working on it so it won't matter, but I won't give it another chance on the iPad as well until iOS 6.

I'd get things like a day's worth of messages coming through on one of the devices out of order in the middle of the night.

Edit: And yes, my caller ID is my email address on all the devices.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Change your caller ID to your email address instead of your phone number on your iphone and ipad. Then all your iMessages will sync across all 3 devices. That is what I did and it works for me. Note, if people message your phone number this will not sync to your computer.
They're already set to my email address.

In fact, on my phone it has "Error" next to my phone number for some reason.

Edit: Hang on. I turned iMessage off and back on again. Am fiddling around with things. Hopefully will fix it.

Edit: Nope. Only fixed my problem on my iPhone. Still won't let me log in to check my account settings on my Mac.
ihUAnw5fabo8I.PNG

This worked for me when I tried out the messages beta. And yes one of the features of iOS6 is merging phone and email IDs so it doesn't matter which one it's sent to - it just syncs.

frico

They're already set to my email address.

In fact, on my phone it has "Error" next to my phone number for some reason.

Edit: Hang on. I turned iMessage off and back on again. Am fiddling around with things. Hopefully will fix it.

Edit: Nope. Only fixed my problem on my iPhone. Still won't let me log in to check my account settings on my Mac.
ihUAnw5fabo8I.PNG

Bizarre. It must be buggy. It syncs across all three devices for me except for when some friends message my phone number.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bizarre. It must be buggy. It syncs across all three devices for me except for when some friends message my phone number.
I want to chalk it up to it being a beta, but this is supposed to be a GM. This is as bad as the iOS 5 beta destroying my Safari bookmarks cloud data to the point I can't sync correctly anymore.

Mairu

This worked for me when I tried out the messages beta. And yes one of the features of iOS6 is merging phone and email IDs so it doesn't matter which one it's sent to - it just syncs.

Hooray. I was getting very bothered by the fact that I couldn't respond on one end and see everything on both my mac & iphone

Gonky

Neo Member
Cool well then people want the function then it's good to go already. Im not in the beta myself as it breaks a couple of apps that I need - although it might be fixed by now. I should go back to the beta thread.

@NekoFever - I'm sure someone with a ML beta could confirm but it appears to not be working 100%

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1401771
It's enabled in the iOS6 beta but not the Mountain Lion GM.

Can't wait till Wednesday, I just really hope it's much faster then Lion like people have said it is

with Snow leopard my macbook was zippy, with Lion it slowed down considerably. Those with mountain lion, how much faster is it then Lion?

hirokazu

This is really annoying: If you have a shortcut to a network volume (or a file on a network volume) in the dock, it shows up as "?" now until you mount the volume. It used to remember the icon.

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-23%20at%2011.23.21%20AM.png

But I haven't been able to get it to work at all. Did you get it working?

Yeah, check the iOS 6 beta thread. I imagine the feature will be coming to a 10.8 update around the time iOS 6 goes public.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Getting my brand new Macbook Air (first ever Mac) this week. I'll be getting ML free, so hopefully I can learn my way around the OS easily. :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
God I really hope the final version is not the GM we got. I really don't want to purchase it and reinstall it fresh only to find out the bugs I am having are still there. Especially my "No internet ever again when waking from sleep" one. Unless anyone knows how to fix it. I always have to reboot to get my internet back. WiFi works fine. Internet does not.

Ephemeris

God I really hope the final version is not the GM we got. I really don't want to purchase it and reinstall it fresh only to find out the bugs I am having are still there. Especially my "No internet ever again when waking from sleep" one. Unless anyone knows how to fix it. I always have to reboot to get my internet back. WiFi works fine. Internet does not.

try pulling your network/wifi prefs?

frico

I got my iPad to ask me if I want to associate my iPhone's number. I haven't tested receiving an iMessage from the number yet, though.

I have tried turning off and turning on imessage so many times and it still will not ask me about an associated phone number.

hirokazu

If it does turn out to be the same as the GM (and all indications suggest it will be), why don't you do a clean install of the GM to test on a spare drive before you commit to purchasing it?

If you still have that bug after you have installed Mountain Lion proper I think you might be eligible for support in some form.

Macrumors says the GM is the final version the public is getting.

Man I can't wait for this. Its insane how much of a downgrade in performance Lion was compared to Snow Leopard.

mrkgoo

Man I can't wait for this. Its insane how much of a downgrade in performance Lion was compared to Snow Leopard.

I'm so hoping for a return to Snow Leopard performance. I remember installing that. I GOT space back, and my computer was faster, and it shut down in like 6 seconds.

With Lion, I get 6 second lag just opening the lid before I see my pointer again.

gamma

I got my (first) MacBook Air last year with Lion. After reading so much before about the smooth performance of SL I was a bit disappointed, so I'm really excited for Mountain Lion. I hope it can deliver.

Ambitious

I'm gonna do a clean install. What's the best way to migrate the iPhoto and iTunes data?
I could certainly just copy the directories, but when I replaced the default (empty) iPhoto library with my old one when I got my rMBP, the library didn't show up as bundle in the Finder but as simple directory (a bundle IS a directory, I know). Also iPhoto didn't recognize it automatically, I had to point it towards the library.

I didn't even try the same with iTunes but simply used the Migration Assistant. How can I easily migrate all my media including iPhone/iPad backups?

VNZ

I'm gonna do a clean install. What's the best way to migrate the iPhoto and iTunes data?
I could certainly just copy the directories, but when I replaced the default (empty) iPhoto library with my old one when I got my rMBP, the library didn't show up as bundle in the Finder but as simple directory (a bundle IS a directory, I know). Also iPhoto didn't recognize it automatically, I had to point it towards the library.

I didn't even try the same with iTunes but simply used the Migration Assistant. How can I easily migrate all my media including iPhone/iPad backups?
Do a full system backup via Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or similar. Then do a clean install by formatting the disk in the ML installer setup.

Then it's perfectly possible, although a bit fiddly, to manually cherrypick settings and data for the apps you wish to transfer from your backup. For iTunes and iPhoto, the data folder ~/Music/iTunes and ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library along with relevant preference files from ~/Library/Preferences/ should do the trick.

When you copied your iPhoto before, was it to a Mac (HFS+) formatted drive? Copying to a FAT32 drive will probably botch the metadata in some way. I wouldn't trust it for back up purposes anyway.

Ambitious

Do a full system backup via Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner or similar. Then do a clean install by formatting the disk in the ML installer setup.

Then it's perfectly possible, although a bit fiddly, to manually cherrypick settings and data for the apps you wish to transfer from your backup. For iTunes and iPhoto, the data folder ~/Music/iTunes and ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library along with relevant preference files from ~/Library/Preferences/ should do the trick.

When you copied your iPhoto before, was it to a Mac (HFS+) formatted drive? Copying to a FAT32 drive will probably botch the metadata in some way. I wouldn't trust it for back up purposes anyway.

I copied the bundle directly from one Mac to the other, that's why I was puzzled. Well I'll try it again with ML, not that it's a problem in any way.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really really REALLY hatee how they changed the three-finger double-tap to define a word to a single tap. It completely screwed with my workflow. I already use three-finger swipes for stuff and the gesture keeps being accidentally fired all the damn time.

So, if you're like me and would rather it be a double-tap, I have fixed it by doing the following...

Turn off the option in System Preferences.
In Better Touch Tool, set up a global gesture using three-finger double-tap and select the "look up word under cursor" option for the action.

There! Back to normal!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Picked up a 500GB HDD ready for ML, seeing as I have been meaning to upgrade anyway and I always do a clean install, figured I would do the same.

Just waiting for ML...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

GM feels perfectly stable and all, but within minutes of using it I run into a Lion reference somwhere in the about section, or can't remember where. Could be an info pulled from an online resource, but I thought that would be odd that a final version of OS doesn't have such kinks ironed out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can't wait. I wonder though, if I'm already on the Lion GM, will the App Store still let me purchase and download the final version so I can at least do a fresh reformat and reinstall? I hope so. Though if not, no big deal. I have other computers to download it onto and can use an external HDD or USB stick.

If only it were tomorrow when I'm home. Hopefully if it's Wednesday, it's before 11:30AM. Anyone know what time the App Store refreshes for new releases? When would ML show up if it were released on Wednesday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom