• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: The Wasteland unlikely as Furiosa bombs.

calistan

Gold Member
I thought Fury Road was average. I’ll probably see Furiosa next week though, and I try to see one movie per week at the cinema. It’s a great night out, but then I do have a really good boutique cinema near me, it’s nothing like the multiplex experience.

All the people in this thread who can’t deal with people or public places - it’s really sad, this is the long-term damage of Covid. Have fun staying indoors.

Seems a bit weird to base a sequel to a successful movie on the success of a spin-off? I thought Furiosa would at least 'break even' at the box office. So to speak. Fury Road was a hit, but not a colossal hit. I think its' popularity spread through positive feedback.

Griffon

Shame that, it's a genuinely good movie. A rare sight nowadays.

Yes it's not as good and tight as fury road, but nothing is.

Wasteland getting canned would be a tragedy, I hope they'll be able to manage to make it nonetheless.

Coconutt

Whose bright idea was it to release this movie 9 years after fury road? No wonder it failed talk about striking while the iron is cold.
Who Knew Reaction GIF by GEICO

Have a feeling there are more people out there who do what we do.
1. Have most of the old movies we want in physical or digital formats.
2. It’s been slim pickings for yearly releases we would actually want to own.
3. Tired of dealing with people at the cinema. (Loud, use phones, talk during movie). Even at matinee prices it’s not worth dealing with them.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The trend l'm seeing right now, is more mega theatres that include other types or entertainment.

The theatres around me are all the typical bigger box kind of theatres that have a ton of snack bar options, and a small arcade. And in plazas or part of a shopping mall where there's other restaurants or shopping to do. I dont know how many old school small movie only kinds of places there still are. Those have got to be long dead by now???

But if modern theatres with all the new stuff still isnt cutting it, what else do they do?
In the past few years I opened some theaters up here that have the whole 4D experience where are the seats move and you can smell gunfire, etc.

I'm surprised they keep opening more movie theaters here considering how bad they're doing.

MrMephistoX

The fact that Fury Road became a break out movie never made sense to me. Mad Max is a niche genre IP. The performance of Furiosa seems more in line with reasonable expectations. Fury Road being so successful seemed like a fluke.

Looking at the bigger picture, I don't see how we continue to get good, original films with the industry still stuck in this old system of Theaters first, then PPV and physical, then the subscription streaming services. It just seems like that pipeline requires movies to do numbers that most films can't handle, so they're not economically viable. Hence everything needing to be a summer blockbuster just to get greenlit.

And as someone with a modest home theater setup, I'm part of the problem. It's too easy to skip the theater and wait to watch the movie at home where I can pause it to go to the bathroom or refill a drink. And save $40 per movie...

I foresee most theaters closing down, and “Cinema” becomes more of a premiere experience for movies. Like going to a broadway show. Everything will immediately go to VoD, but if you want to see it on the big screen for a limited time, you’ll need to drive who knows how many miles to the closest theater. They need to be good theaters too. Really big screens, 300 - 500 seats, good food, staff that enforces good audience behavior etc. They need to make it a positive and exciting experience.

Right now there’s way too many theaters that don’t justify box office performance for the past few years, and it’s going to get worse. Families and teenagers are huge demographics for theater goers. Right now families would rather wait an extra few weeks for VoD, rather than pay $100+ to take their fat wife and kids to the movies. And then teenagers don’t care about movie theaters anymore. Theater chains and Hollywood need to adapt in major ways to survive the changes that are already here.

Legendary films like Back to the Future, Star Wars ‘77, Jurassic Park, or Lord of the Rings would bomb at the box office if they were made and released today. The Silver Screen era has fallen. Begun the Streaming Wars has.
Luxury theaters like Alamo Draft House or Cineopolis that serve restaurant quality food serve alcohol, have superior picture quality and recliners are my jam. However with all the points mentioned above I’ve got to wonder if the luxury experience will become the norm or if it will die out only slightly before AMC multiplexes with sticky floors and annoying teens with laser pointers.

I love going to the movies but I’m going less and less because of the ever shortening theatrical release to streaming window unless I absolutely don’t want to be spoiled by social media.

My biggest fear is that we won’t get films as well made as Furiosa on Streaming if theaters totally die since subscriptions don’t justify that level of budget and I don’t always want to watch a series.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Cinema is on borrowed time.
There's no competing with what's at kid's fingertips today, literally hijacking their brain.

When I was young, between the ages 16 and 26, kids my age were seeing a movie a week. If not every week, then definitely every month. Kids today are not doing that. Not even close.

So how is cinema going to survive? On old folks, 45 and up? What happens when we're dead? Yup, you guessed correctly: that's when cinema officially dies (and it will die)

People said the same thing to radio when TV was first invented. Yet we still have Cassettes, we still have Vinyl, we still have drive in theaters and plays. Hate to break it to you, but it won't ever die.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cinema is on borrowed time.
There's no competing with what's at kid's fingertips today, literally hijacking their brain.

When I was young, between the ages 16 and 26, kids my age were seeing a movie a week. If not every week, then definitely every month. Kids today are not doing that. Not even close.

So how is cinema going to survive? On old folks, 45 and up? What happens when we're dead? Yup, you guessed correctly: that's when cinema officially dies (and it will die)
It can survive by having less theaters.

There’s 4 theaters within 3 miles of me and I’m in a suburb, within 10 miles there’s probably 20 theaters.

Budgets will have to drop, but the combo of theater + paid VOD + streaming will still be really lucrative even with 25% less theaters for instance.

It sucks for the theater industry itself but the concept of cinema won’t go away IMO.

Pejo

ryan-gosling-blade-runner2049.gif

Mad Max fandom will join the Blade Runner fandom as we watch the I.P. fade into obscurity due to an underperforming sequel. And both parties will continue to make up a multitude of reasons as to why they bombed, but at least Blade Runner has the benefit of not being used as a prop in a culture war.

Who knows, maybe the Mad Max I.P. will get an anime or something like BR did 🤷‍♂️
Come here bro, I too know that feeling...
karl urban art GIF by Tech Noir

March Climber

Gold Member
People said the same thing to radio when TV was first invented. Yet we still have Cassettes, we still have Vinyl, we still have drive in theaters and plays. Hate to break it to you, but it won't ever die.
He probably meant mainstream death, not the literal movie theater itself being dead. Living on through novelty (like the things you've listed) isn't quite the same.

Eiknarf

Change.
“Die” = not be what it is tosay

Cassette and radio are not the main sources of each medium

Hugare

I've watched the movie yesterday, and its as good as Fury Road, tho I like Fury Road a bit more (rewatched it yesterday right after Furiosa)

I was really worried about the spotty CGI, but the movie still looked really good. Great performances, great setpieces and great story. And it complements FR so much.

I give Fury Road the edge due to better pacing. FR is just non stop action. It's one car chase for the whole movie, with 2-3 stops along the way. Furiosa, on the other hand, spends a lot of time on foot, and tho still good, it hurts the pacing a bit.

It's saddening to see that it wasnt successful. George Miller is a beast, being able to film action movies like this at 79.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Pathetic.

You cant blame studios anymore. This isnt the gaming industry where they only make 1 type of game (GAAS)

Hollywood has big studios like A24 constantly putting out bangers, legacy directors like Miller, Cameron, Eastwood, Francis Ford, Micheal Mann, Ridley, etc, still putting out movies. You then have new talented blood getting good budgets.

But the audience just doesnt go to the movies. This was a great movie and no one saw it because you have the attention span of a fucking goldfish and cant sit in a theater for 2 hours without using your phone.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
All the people in this thread who can’t deal with people or public places - it’s really sad, this is the long-term damage of Covid. Have fun staying indoors.
Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

My first job was working at a cinema.....I hated going to theaters then, and that was more than twenty years ago. Only reason I ever went to a theater in my life is because friends or family would drag me. My home theater set up has better audio than my local cinema, and it has the added benefit of not having loud idiots talking during the film and opening phones.

COVID isn't why people hate going to the cinema, it's because of the assholes who you have to deal with at the cinema.

Raven117

Gold Member
Pathetic.

You cant blame studios anymore. This isnt the gaming industry where they only make 1 type of game (GAAS)

Hollywood has big studios like A24 constantly putting out bangers, legacy directors like Miller, Cameron, Eastwood, Francis Ford, Micheal Mann, Ridley, etc, still putting out movies. You then have new talented blood getting good budgets.

But the audience just doesnt go to the movies. This was a great movie and no one saw it because you have the attention span of a fucking goldfish and cant sit in a theater for 2 hours without using your phone.
Nah. People watch movies all the time. Just not in theaters. It’s expensive(ish) and inconvenient.

The “experience” is just not worth it 9 times out of 10.

Sybrix

Are you rellying into score site to ask a simple question?

There is more into a movie than finding metascore.

I've seen it and its a great movie, not as good as Fury Road but Fury Road was perfection as far as an action movie goes.

It's understandable a moving bombing if its shit, but Furiosa isnt, it's great and that seems to be the consensus also amoung critics and the public according to Rotten Tomatoes.

So i guess the reason it's bombing is because people aren't going to the movies?

It's not as good as Fury Road but this would be impossible. That movie had been polished in Miller's brain for 20 years and was shot mostly practically in a brutal shoot no one wanted to do again.
As much as practical effects are better there is just so much cost and danger involved you either have to write less spectacle or do CGI.

Last edited:

Hugare

Nah. People watch movies all the time. Just not in theaters. It’s expensive(ish) and inconvenient.

The “experience” is just not worth it 9 times out of 10.
The "incovenient" part, I dont get it

If you have to travel for 1h to go to a cinema, then I agree. But if you have one nearby ... I dont get it.

Here in Brazil, a movie ticket is cheaper on wednesdays, so I bought 2 tickets for R$ 34 (~ 7 US dollars)

I used to go to the movies way more often than I do today. As you said in your post, the "experience" isnt worth it most of the time. But I knew it would be for this movie. And it was.

Its funny, movie makers like WB or Disney shot themselves on the foot. They wanted that streaming money, but now they are suffering with movies bombing at the cinema. You cant have it all.

Raven117

Gold Member
The "incovenient" part, I dont get it

If you have to travel for 1h to go to a cinema, then I agree. But if you have one nearby ... I dont get it.

Here in Brazil, a movie ticket is cheaper on wednesdays, so I bought 2 tickets for R$ 34 (~ 7 US dollars)

I used to go to the movies way more often than I do today. As you said in your post, the "experience" isnt worth it most of the time. But I knew it would be for this movie. And it was.

Its funny, movie makers like WB or Disney shot themselves on the foot. They wanted that streaming money, but now they are suffering with movies bombing at the cinema. You cant have it all.
You said it yourself...its the streaming.

Why GO to a theater and deal with $$$ concessions (movie ticket about 10-15 bucks), parking, dealing with inconsiderate people, when you can cuddle up on a couch with a significant other 3 months later with a bottle of wine?

9 times out of 10, hell, probably 99 out of 100, I'd rather wait.

Fake

I've seen it and its a great movie, not as good as Fury Road but Fury Road was perfection as far as an action movie goes.

It's understandable a moving bombing if its shit, but Furiosa isnt, it's great and that seems to be the consensus also amoung critics and the public according to Rotten Tomatoes.

So i guess the reason it's bombing is because people aren't going to the movies?

Good or not, there are others factors that can attract people to the theathers.

Just read the article and he will give you some clues.
Look at the quote I posted in the first page.
The movie don't have any appeal at all, the trailers are terrible made and as the article mention, most of the people that watched the last Mad Max not even come to see this one, so maybe removing the character 'Mad Max' from the entire movie wasn't a smart movie.

Again, a movie being good is only a piece of the sucess. Venom was a mix bag movie, but got a much better audience than reviewers predicted.

Last edited:

Hugare

You said it yourself...its the streaming.

Why GO to a theater and deal with $$$ concessions (movie ticket about 10-15 bucks), parking, dealing with inconsiderate people, when you can cuddle up on a couch with a significant other 3 months later with a bottle of wine?

9 times out of 10, hell, probably 99 out of 100, I'd rather wait.
Thats like saying "why going to a music concert when you can listen to it on Spotify?"

As big as your tv is, and as good as your home theater is, it doesnt match what cinema offers.

I know that there are a bunch of people that think like you do, and if that suits you, then who am I to judge?

I love the convenience of watching a bunch of stuff from home, but I feel like something is lost by not watching some movies on the cinema.

I've watched Inception 3 times on IMAX, and I'm glad I did, 'cause watching it at home isnt nearly as impactful and awesome as it was at IMAX.

Some movies I just know that I have to buy a ticket in order to watch it for the first time.

Watching Endgame on Disney+, for example, would be extremely lame (imo)

Last edited:

Superkewl

I know I am in the minority, but I did not like fury road that much. Maybe it is a generational thing, but mad max will always be Mel Gibson to me, and not interested otherwise.

Last movie I saw in theatres was Avatar back in 2008. For me, dumbasses on their phones ruined the cinema for me. The light from the screens would always distract me, and take me out of the film. I miss the old days :-(

Raven117

Gold Member
Thats like saying "why going to a music concert when you can listen to it on Spotify?"

As big as your tv is, and as good as your home theater is, it doesnt match what cinema offers.

I know that there are a bunch of people that think like you do, and if that suits you, then who am I to judge?

I love the convenience of watching a bunch of stuff from home, but I feel like something is lost by not watching some movies on the cinema.

I've watched Inception 3 times on IMAX, and I'm glad I did, 'cause watching it at home isnt nearly as impactful and awesome as it was at IMAX.

Some movies I just know that I have to buy a ticket in order to watch it for the first time.

Watching Endgame on Disney+, for example, would be extremely lame (imo)
You are agreeing with me. Just weighing the experience differently.

Some think the experience of a theater is worth it...others don't. And it seems more people don't think the experience is worth it.

Theaters will eventually be relegated to more of a specialty type product.

There has been ( in my experience) a noticeable decline in audience behavior since covid. People seem to not give a single fuck anymore about talking often and loudly during a movie, distracting cellphone screen lights, popcorn/chip bags rustling and the like.

None of those things are new or unique in and of themselves but they all seem to happen more frequently and its just made the experience overall not worth the effort. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive and less willing to pay for an experience that is increasingly compromised by the modern theatre patron. The only movie I intend to see in the theatre this year is Deadpool 3 and there will no doubt be swarms of idiots for that experience too, but that's the kind of movie that you expect a certain crowd and audience engagement. Everything else I can wait to hit streaming. I feel like Endgame in 2019 was the cut off point between the old and new eras of movie consumption. Quite the fitting name, in retrospect....

That's not even getting into the prices against the backdrop of inflation.

Last edited:

Red5

All I'm reading from this thread is a bunch of people who made up their mind about an awesome movie of the actress for some reason, even tho the actress played the role very well and the movie is even more savage than Fury Road and we do get a Mad Max type character, Praetorian Jack.

I enjoyed it but can see why it bombed. It's a movie nobody asked for. People liked Furiosa, but a big part of that was tied to Charlize Theron's performance. She didn't return. A lot of people also like to see Max in a Mad Max movie. He was in... for a 2 second cameo. It's a been a while since Fury Road, 9 years, so the trailer needed to nail it. instead it was filled with janky CGI shots. People liked Fury Road because it was a breakneck chase movie with tight story (like Terminator 2). This is nothing like that. In fact it's a sprawling downer story with a foregone conclusion being a prequel, for a backstory we didn't need.

All these things add up to its box office failure.

There has been ( in my experience) a noticeable decline in audience behavior since covid. People seem to not give a single fuck anymore about talking often and loudly during a movie, distracting cellphone screen lights, popcorn/chip bags rustling and the like.

None of those things are new or unique in and of themselves but they all seem to happen more frequently and its just made the experience overall not worth the effort. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive and less willing to pay for an experience that is increasingly compromised by the modern theatre patron. The only movie I intend to see in the theatre this year is Deadpool 3 and there will no doubt be swarms of idiots for that experience too, but that's the kind of movie that you expect a certain crowd and audience engagement. Everything else I can wait to hit streaming. I feel like Endgame in 2019 was the cut off point between the old and new eras of movie consumption. Quite the fitting name, in retrospect....

That's not even getting into the prices against the backdrop of inflation.
It's a self destructive cycle. Audience attendance overall (with exceptions) has already declined post covid. The rowdy behavior will only drive more people away.

Fake

The film earned $10.2 million on its first day, including $3.5 million from Thursday night previews, similar to the $3.7 million made by Fury Road.[85][86] It went on to underperform, grossing $25.5 million in its opening weekend and $32 million over the four-day frame, marking the lowest-grossing film to finish in first over the Memorial Day weekend since Casper (1995)
Sheet GIF

Last edited:

March Climber

Gold Member
All I'm reading from this thread is a bunch of people who made up their mind about an awesome movie of the actress for some reason, even tho the actress played the role very well and the movie is even more savage than Fury Road and we do get a Mad Max type character, Praetorian Jack.
The problem is that they will never know how good it is unless they read spoilers or actually see it. People here who like the movie can't even defend it without spoiling the movie.

The people who won't see it, due to very minor reasons, have effectively put up an impenetrable wall.

I am very curious to see if there's ever a moment in the far future where those same people will call this a hidden gem of 2024.

Top Bottom