• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Max: The Wasteland unlikely as Furiosa bombs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's like what you can't go 2 hours without eating or drinking?

God Bless America GIF by MOODMAN

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Um... He's writing it along with his wife and their writing partner from the LOTR movies...

The big difference is with LOTR they had a whole book to adapt.

This will be more fan fiction that disrespects Tolkien and English culture. I hope it bombs.

calistan

Gold Member
$pricing?....looks awesome
It's about £17 for most films, £19 for the 'special' room, £11 for kids shows in the afternoons. That's cheaper than it was under the previous management.

They also have membership plans, the most expensive being £59 per month - for that you get unlimited tickets, two per show.

simpatico

I personally never understood why people want to eat and drink while watching a film in the theater? It's like what you can't go 2 hours without eating or drinking?
The seats and armrests at those places are always so greasy. Makes no sense. Go and have a real meal afterwards.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I personally never understood why people want to eat and drink while watching a film in the theater? It's like what you can't go 2 hours without eating or drinking?
You got kids? It's waaaaaaay easier and cheaper if you can do your eating and movie at the same time. <3 hours of babysitter versus 5 or more.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Wait, so you won't go see it because it had bad trailers? Or are you saying it bombed because trailers were bad?
The predecessor had great trailers and was great. This part has very bad trailers and yes, if I don't like the trailer I probably won't go in. I don't think it was just me.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
There was nothing wrong with the Furiosa trailers. On the other hand the Deadpool trailer before it it was so ass, I will be so surprised if it goes to 1 billion.

The predecessor had great trailers and was great. This part has very bad trailers and yes, if I don't like the trailer I probably won't go in. I don't think it was just me.
I hated the trailer also, ended up going to see though. I enjoyed it even with Chris's stupid nose.

March Climber

Gold Member
I wonder how many good movies you’ve missed with bad trailers 🤔

I can guarantee you not all of the greats had good trailers.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It’s probably one of the most perfect movies made in the last couple decades
I have that Mad Max video game that came out a few years ago. That looks surprisingly good when you consider it's a licensed game.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I wonder how many good movies you’ve missed with bad trailers 🤔

I can guarantee you not all of the greats had good trailers.
It's not always completely dependent on the trailer, but it already looked extremely boring and cheap in the trailer. And the opinions from those around me weren't too positive either.

Shrap

Just got back from watching this - holy shit what a spectacle! Reminded me of Fury Road in all the best ways. The setting, characters and setpieces are just so sick in this universe I can never get enough.

I dunno what went wrong with the marketing of this film but it's such a shame. It's an awesome time and absolutely made for the big screen.

calistan

Gold Member
It’s probably one of the most perfect movies made in the last couple decades
I've seen Fury Road two or three times but I was never that impressed by it. It's just a load of extremely silly cars racing over an orange landscape. The vehicle with the guitar player on the front...

E9UGypI.jpeg

Reminds me of this, basically.

2WhXcxG.jpeg

The stories about how much Theron and Hardy hated each other are more interesting to me than the film. Will probably see Furiosa next week though, purely for Anya Taylor Joy.

Woggleman

Gold Member
I like stories where somebody just gets shit on and put through the ringer only to emerge triumphant in the end. This is very much that kind of story.

Thaedolus

I've seen Fury Road two or three times but I was never that impressed by it. It's just a load of extremely silly cars racing over an orange landscape. The vehicle with the guitar player on the front...

E9UGypI.jpeg

Reminds me of this, basically.

2WhXcxG.jpeg

The stories about how much Theron and Hardy hated each other are more interesting to me than the film. Will probably see Furiosa next week though, purely for Anya Taylor Joy.
It’s ok to be wrong

calistan

Gold Member
It’s ok to be wrong
Well I'm going to watch it again before I see Furiosa, so maybe this is the time it will finally click with me.

Still can't escape the feeling that it's a children's TV show with a gigantic budget. If Dr Who joined the car chase in his frickin' Tardis, it wouldn't be out of place.

Scotty W

Banned
Well I'm going to watch it again before I see Furiosa, so maybe this is the time it will finally click with me.

Still can't escape the feeling that it's a children's TV show with a gigantic budget. If Dr Who joined the car chase in his frickin' Tardis, it wouldn't be out of place.
Are you out of your mind? It’s Mad Max, not Tolstoy. You don’t need to prepare yourself, and you also don’t need to force feed yourself something you don’t enjoy.

Griffon

Then I suggest you start with Furiosa then, it's more serious and tragic worldbuilding, while still having awesome action scenes. Then only after watch Fury Road and enjoy the grand finale.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Then I suggest you start with Furiosa then, it's more serious and tragic worldbuilding, while still having awesome action scenes. Then watch Fury Road and enjoy the grand finale.
Yup. This is one of the few times where I think I prefer Chronological Order over Production. Fury Road always felt like it was the climax of the story. Furiosa does a great job of setting up stuff in Fury Road, without feeling like a check list or forced.

Mobilemofo

Cinema is on borrowed time.
There's no competing with what's at kid's fingertips today, literally hijacking their brain.

When I was young, between the ages 16 and 26, kids my age were seeing a movie a week. If not every week, then definitely every month. Kids today are not doing that. Not even close.

So how is cinema going to survive? On old folks, 45 and up? What happens when we're dead? Yup, you guessed correctly: that's when cinema officially dies (and it will die)
I'm 45 +, and I quit cinema along time ago. Mind you, I'm a tech guy, and have been watched movies on phones etc since 2005, converting them was half the fun. Trends come and go. Today's older person isn't like the older gens. Alot like me have grown up with tech as it's evolved.

calistan

Gold Member
Are you out of your mind? It’s Mad Max, not Tolstoy. You don’t need to prepare yourself, and you also don’t need to force feed yourself something you don’t enjoy.
Sometimes it works, particularly when I haven't seen a film in a while.

I thought Dune was dull, and it took me a couple of attempts to finish watching it originally. But then I rewatched it before seeing the sequel, with the fact that it just serves as an intro to Dune 2 in mind, and I enjoyed it. Being reminded who the characters are isn't a bad thing.

DAHGAMING

Im glad im not the only 1 that hates all thst eating shit. Whats the deal with the dry ass popcorn aswell, do people actualy like it or feel they must get a big fuck off box of the shit as its what you do at the cinema, scratch the fuck out the box as they grab a handfull then eat it like a child, palming it in there gob. Id fuck the food off but allow drink aslong as you aint slurping that like yo sucking a cock.

What a shame, I enjoyed it very much. But we were only 4 or 5 people in the theater, despite movie tickets being affordable here in Morocco ($6 or so). I guess the whole context has changed a lot, with streaming becoming mainstream, younger audiences not being invested in or even familiar with the Mad Max franchise, the cinema experience becoming more expensive overall, etc.

I really want to see another Mad Max film before Miller passes on. No one but him can make Mad Max films.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm 45 +, and I quit cinema along time ago. Mind you, I'm a tech guy, and have been watched movies on phones etc since 2005, converting them was half the fun. Trends come and go. Today's older person isn't like the older gens. Alot like me have grown up with tech as it's evolved.

I'm 49 and have also grown up with technology and its evolution... But there's nothing quite like going to the theater, especially one where you get SERVED food and alcohol while watching a movie on a huge IMAX or some other type of ultra clear screen with a bombastic sound system!

I have watched movies on my phone and computer for years now but it just doesn't compare. That's fine for you but not for me. The experience cannot be replicated with a phone or TV... Especially with friends and the overall atmosphere!

Mobilemofo

I'm 49 and have also grown up with technology and its evolution... But there's nothing quite like going to the theater, especially one where you get SERVED food and alcohol while watching a movie on a huge IMAX or some other type of ultra clear screen with a bombastic sound system!

I have watched movies on my phone and computer for years now but it just doesn't compare. That's fine for you but not for me. The experience cannot be replicated with a phone or TV... Especially with friends and the overall atmosphere!
Fair enough. I guess I just moved on from going to the movies, period.

Top Bottom