• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major developments and milestones since Final Fantasy Versus XIII was announced

sora no kiseki was released on PSP, starting the long journey of kiseki on playstation. falcom became a primarily console (mostly psp at first) developer and now we have 5 kiseki games out and a 6th one coming. all before versus. (idk the history of Ys that well but plenty of those were released as well)

In 2006 Square Enix still was, despite challengers to their empire, the no. 1 producer of console RPG content in the world - the heavyweight champion of the world.

Fast forward eight years.

In 2014 Atlus sits tenuously atop that JRPG throne, being challenged on a regular basis by NISA, who now occupies the "scrappy underdog" position Atlus once held.

Square Enix is now the arena janitor who sells snacks on the side.

lol what?

The output's not exactly comparable is it, though? In either quality or volume?

You could argue that Namco has put out more good tales games in that span than square did final fantasies.

Edit: good final fantasy installments, that werent remakes. :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In 2006 Square Enix still was, despite challengers to their empire, the no. 1 producer of console RPG content in the world - the heavyweight champion of the world.

In 2014 Atlus sits tenuously atop that JRPG throne, being challenged on a regular basis by NISA, who now occupies the "scrappy underdog" position Atlus once held.

Except even the "bomb" Lightning Returns has sold more than the average Atlus or NIS game.

Atlus and NIS are winners only in the opinion of niche jRPG fans... except not even then, because FF is still a fan favorite. It's really a tiny fringe bitching otherwise....

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Except even the "bomb" Lightning Returns has sold more than the average Atlus or NIS game.

Atlus and NIS are winners only in the opinion of niche jRPG fans... except not even then, because FF is still a fan favorite. It's really a tiny fringe bitching otherwise....

That's the point, they're niche titles by niche developers for a niche audience. And something that isn't able to attract a huge audience can't replace a company – or a series – which name and titles released still greatly surpass everything they ever released. Also I disagree on the quality-topic too, for me FF is still the king of the hill without any other series even approaching the quality its titles hold.

Nintendo released a new handheld in 2011.
Nintendo is going to release a new handheld in 2016.
FFXV may not be released at this time.

Durante

Steam was practically just for Valve games and a handful of smaller titles, and its only non-Valve exclusive was SiN Episodes, released the same month as Versus' announcement.
Whoa

Well, in my opinion Gust sits on top. FWIW, since the announcement of FFXIII VS they released 8 full, entirely new PS3 JRPGs, and a dozen or so handheld ports and spinoffs.

What has Atlus done in console JRPGs? They are almost as unproductive as S-E.

Go_Ly_Dow

Reminder:

sweaty-man-cartoon-230x300.jpg

Well, yes, theyll never win the sales battle, as Squeenix is a much larger company than either of those other two.

Dont get me wrong, sir - i'd actually like more than anything for their output to improve. i supported them throughout the PS3/360 gen, bought final fantasy xiii and xiii-2, along with drakengard 3, star ocean, nier.. Im part of those sales figures youre quoting (well, not lightning returns). But basically the only original content i enjoyed from them in the PS3 era was nier.

Edit: i stand corrected - i also loved bravely default. Final fantasy in all but name. :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's the point, they're niche titles by niche developers for a niche audience. And something that isn't able to attract a huge audience can't replace a company – or a series – which name and titles released still greatly surpass everything they ever released. Also I disagree on the quality-topic too, for me FF is still the king of the hill without any other series even approaching the quality its titles hold.
I pride myself on being critical of FF, and I think the series hasn't been it's "best" for a few years.

But I agree. I think the "worst" FF typically gives me an experience i'd ather have than most RPGs.

And I know... Because I buy RPGs from other companies all the time. They rarely have that "special sauce" that makes FF so great (for a counterpoint... Xenoblade did!)

Well, yes, theyll never win the sales battle, as Squeenix is a much larger company than either of those other two.

Dont get me wrong, sir - i'd actually like more than anything for their output to improve. i supported them throughout the PS3/360 gen, bought final fantasy xiii and xiii-2, along with drakengard 3, star ocean, nier.. Im part of those sales figures youre quoting (well, not lightning returns). But basically the only original content i enjoyed from them in the PS3 era was nier.

I guess my feeling is that, for however much that SE faltered last generation, it's not like I really think other jRPG devs picked up the slack.

They all sucked a bit. FF was bad? Well, easy to praise Atlus when they released no Persona in the generation at all!

(And honestly as someone who owns/played every Persona game... Give me an FF any day of the week. Just my tastes, though I love the hell out of Persona anyway).

I pride myself on being critical of FF, and I think the series hasn't been it's "best" for a few years.

But I agree. I think the "worst" FF typically gives me an experience i'd ather have than most RPGs.

And I know... Because I buy RPGs from other companies all the time. They rarely have that "special sauce" that makes FF so great (for a counterpoint... Xenoblade did!)

I guess my feeling is that, for however much that SE faltered last generation, it's not like I really think other jRPG devs picked up the slack.

They all sucked a bit. FF was bad? Well, easy to praise Atlus when they released no Persona in the generation at all!

(And honestly as someone who owns/played every Persona game... Give me an FF any day of the week. Just my tastes, though I love the hell out of Persona anyway).

You do have a point about no persona being released in the PS360 era to date! Overlooked that.

Basically im just hoping that FFXV will be more in the vein of FFVI to IX as opposed to more of the Lightning-era stuff... From the cut of your jib, i suspect we're both buying at launch anyway (whenever that actually happens), regardless of quality. Haha!

Now lets quit hijacking this goddamn thread! :-D

One of the most enjoyable GAF threads I've had the pleasure of stumbling upon. Truly the reason why it's been more than 8 years, and probably we'll reach 10, since this game was announced with no launch nearby is because they didn't care enough. This is the perfect example of Square's "bit more than they could chew" nonsense by announcing games that were way too early in development.

And you know what? They did it again last year with KH3. I'll be surprised if we see it before 2017.

In the time since FFXV was announced Naughty Dog has created a new IP, then created a whole trilogy, and then proceeded to create another AAA IP for which they won everything there is to win as a developer and then ported it a year later to PS4 whilst also announcing part 4 of that first new IP. If Uncharted 4 ends up launching before FFXV I'll never forgive them.

That company is ran by monkeys, I swear.

Asd202

This many Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Mobile Phone
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King WiiWare
Dissidia Final Fantasy
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adolun
Final Fantasy XIV (Realm Reborn)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Well you know Versus/XV would just steal the spotlight.

Magusx

This many Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan
Final Fantasy III DS
Final Fantasy V Advance
Final Fantasy VI Advance
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
FF Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Mobile Phone
FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Final Fantasy IV DS
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King WiiWare
Dissidia Final Fantasy
FF Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
FF Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adolun
Final Fantasy XIV (Realm Reborn)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Reading this is depressing...

Opt1kon_

In the time period between 2006 and 2010, "Barclays Center" as an idea for a new entertainment complex and hub in Brooklyn amounted to little more than an undeveloped hole in the ground, numerous rallies and protests against the project, and was almost shuttered by the combination of the 2009 recession and a court case against the use of eminent domain to further the project. It all seemed doomed to limbo despite being in plans or proposals since 2004 and optimistically pinned for a 2006 opening. The court has since:

- Seen its opening day in September 2012 (featuring a live performance from Jay-Z who had actually "retired" from the music in 2003 only to return in 2006), two years after the initial ground breaking and first development after beating the opposition in court cases.

- Has surpassed Madison Square Garden as the highest grossing venue in the United States for concerts and family shows (not including sports shows) based on sales data from November 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013

- Hosted a WWE PPV event in December 2012 and a WWE RAW in July 15, 2013

- Hosted the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards on August 25, 2013, bringing the show to a New York City borough other than Manhattan for the first time

- (assuming FFXV doesn't come out in 2015) will become the primary home for the New York Islanders hockey team after said team parted ways with their previous home Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum of 43 years.

...holy fuck.

GAT damn, between this and the freedom tower being built in downtown manhattan SE should be ashamed of themselves and a new star wars comes out next year DECEMBER 18TH 2015 if they go past that dear lord please help them

Krejlooc

Banned
The consumer virtual reality industry went from non-existent futuristic pipe dream, to garage-band wonder tech, to kickstarter darling, to $2 billion dollar facebook acquisition in one quarter of the amount of time since FFXIIIvs was announced.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
In 2006 you needed a college email to use Facebook, YouTube still limited videos to 10 minutes and SD resolution and had just been bought by Google, and there were no smartphones.

Sure there were smartphones (of the Nokia variety and to a lesser extent PalmOS) - my first job out of college in 2003 we were discussing about using smartphone cameras to transmit pictures (I worked doing software at a car inspection company).

And as for another software-related thing - JQuery got released in August 2006 (shortly after the E3 '06 presentation where Versus was announced) and is now the most popular Javascript library ever, used on nearly every website imaginable.

RedSwirl

I don't think you can really debate who the JRPG king is right now because there kind of isn't one. The whole genre is in crisis on consoles. Most of what get's released right now is niche. The closest thing we have to an RPG "king" on consoles is probably Bethesda.

On that note, since the announcement of Vs XIII Bethesda:
--released the PS3 version of Oblivion
--developed and released Fallout 3
--let Obsidian develop and release New Vegas
--developed and released Skyrim which has sold around 30 million copies and was a main inspiration for Lightning Returns FF XIII

His team kept getting picked apart and thrown on other projects.....just sounded brutal how people kept disappearing to work on other stuff....I will be legitimately shocked if there is nothing at TGS

Really, this is probably the main reason the game has taken so long to get done. It might not be a Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever situation at all where a developer just keeps restarting parts of the game to stay on the bleeding edge for a decade. FFXV has probably been worked on by a skeleton crew for most of its development.

Namco-Bandai became a force for RPGs in North America.

PS2:
Tales of the Abyss (2006)
Xenosaga ep3 (2006)

DS:
Inuyasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel (2007)
Solatorobo (2011)

3DS:
Project X Zone (2012)

PSP:
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (2007)

Vita:
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (2014)
Tales of Hearts R (2014)

360:
Culdcept Saga (2008)
Tales of Vesperia (2008)

Wii:
Tales of Symphonia: DotNW (2008)

PS3:
Tales of Graces F (2012)
Ni no Kuni (2013)
Tales of Xillia (2013)
Tales of Symphonia + DotNW HD (2014)
Tales of Xillia 2 (2014)

Multiplatform:
Eternal Sonata (2007/2008)
Dark Souls (2011)
Dark Souls 2 (2014)

I totally get why this is such a sad thing that it's 8 years since the game was announced and we don't even have legitimate pre-alpha footage, but it's also not that confounding. Nomura's been working on Kingdom Hearts games for the last 8 years. He can only direct so many titles at once, especially on a tight schedule. As far as mainline, major console FF games, Square Enix only releases them one at a time and wanted to focus on Toriyama's FF XIII series first since XIII was one of - if not the best selling FF game of all time. The game underwent a major change as they moved it up to next gen - that's not a switchflip. It takes years and years.

Hiko

Banned
I totally get why this is such a sad thing that it's 8 years since the game was announced and we don't even have legitimate pre-alpha footage, but it's also not that confounding. Nomura's been working on Kingdom Hearts games for the last 8 years. He can only direct so many titles at once, especially on a tight schedule. As far as mainline, major console FF games, Square Enix only releases them one at a time and wanted to focus on Toriyama's FF XIII series first since XIII was one of - if not the best selling FF game of all time. The game underwent a major change as they moved it up to next gen - that's not a switchflip. It takes years and years.

Err, no it isn't. Not even remotely close.

KingJ2002

The Revival Of Street Fighter / Capcom Fighting Games

Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Tekken Vs. Street Fighter

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Phase 1 / 2

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Thor 2
Captain America
Captain America 2
The Avengers

Clipse released arguably the hip hop album of the year, Hell Hath no Fury. Since then, Malice found God and changed his name to No Malice. It was produced by The Neptunes and thinking that was Pharrell makes it even weirder.

Crash had just won the oscar for best movie, beating out Brokeback Mountain in a huge upset.

Germany was hosting a World Cup, eventually losing at the semifinals.

Red Auerbach was still alive.

Saints Row, Gears of War, Resistance and Dead Rising were all released.

KingJ2002

Clipse released arguably the hip hop album of the year, Hell Hath no Fury. Since then, Malice found God and changed his name to No Malice. It was produced by The Neptunes and thinking that was Pharrell makes it even weirder.

Crash had just won the oscar for best movie, beating out Brokeback Mountain in a huge upset.

Germany was hosting a World Cup, eventually losing at the semifinals.

Red Auerbach was still alive.

Saints Row, Gears of War, Resistance and Dead Rising were all released.

With Gears of War & Resistance concluding their main story lines.

In the eight years since the announcement there have been 101 weekly chapters of Hunter X Hunter. By the time the game comes out there may be 105.

Azure J

In the eight years since the announcement there have been 101 weekly chapters of Hunter X Hunter. By the time the game comes out there may be 105.

This post is masterful. lol

On a similar note, there was a new Dragonball Z movie written into series canon by Akira Toriyama himself and released in Japanese theaters on March 30, 2013. It has since been localized and had a small theatrical release to good reception in west coast theaters. It was the first DBZ movie to be shown in IMAX theaters as well as being the first thing Toriyama's done with the property in 17 years.

Shun

Did the PS3 really outlive the PS2? I was under the impression the PS2 and the PS3 had the same lifespans, if not longer on the PS2.

Unless you mean between official releases of console like from PS2 to PS3 and PS3 to PS4.

• The iPhone was announced and released, kicking off the modern smartphone. The iPad followed several years later.
  • The PS3 was released, had the longest PlayStation generation ever, and replaced.
  • The first Unreal Engine 3 game released, and has since been replaced by Unreal Engine 4.
  • Every Assassin's Creed game was released.
  • The entire Mass Effect trilogy was released.
  • In 2006, indie games were a fringe industry with almost no widely known games.
  • In 2006, Naughty Dog was primarily known as the Jak & Daxter studio.
  • In 2008, THQ was the third largest publisher in the U.S. They have since went bankrupt.

Shit.

I don't want to get old. I don't want time to move.

Most enjoyable NeoGAF thread in a long time. Don't let it die just yet!

In May of 2006 neither Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Twitch or Pinterest either existed or were popular at all yet.

And yet FFXV hasn't come out yet.

zeromcd73

I was still in primary school when the game was announced. Assuming it comes out holiday 2015 in Japan than I will have nearly completed my Uni degree.

KeRaSh

I started dating my wife in 2006. She was 15. She's now 24 and finished college a year ago. She owns her own business.

I started dating my wife in 2005. She was 15. She's now 24 and joined her family's business a few years back. We got married less than three weeks ago.

Still no FFXV. Let's see what comes first. FFXV or our first child?
We're waiting a few more years for that.

Top Bottom