• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, April 11th

Just a reminder that I won't be posting the promised summary this month although I'll try to be available to answer questions if they come up. We'll get rolling with some of the requested improvements with the April data release (outside of the March release including the requested top 20 overall of course). Thanks for the patience.

Its ok, just having these requests of ours under implemantation for next month is exciting enough :)

Elios83

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...-march-2017-while-switch-takes-top-spot-40187

NPD Group published its results for March 2017 today, including sales reports regarding console hardware in North America.

It was confirmed that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One during the month of March. This marks the fifth month in a row that PS4 has led the Xbox One in sales within the territory. The last victory for Microsoft was last October, which was attributed to both strong first-party software (i.e. Gears of War 4), as well as the recent release of the Xbox One S.

However, the top-selling gaming brand was Nintendo with its newly released Switch. The new generation console is confirmed to have sold more than 500,000 units in North America alone during its first week on the market, and had more to show for it in subsequent weeks with speculated total sales during the month being around one million. Demand has outpaced both expectation and supply at a level that surpasses the record-selling Wii during the same length of time post-launch, surprising Nintendo and analysts alike.

So far only Microsoft has come out with a public statement regarding the results. Xbox Corporate Vice President of Marketing Mike Nichols shared the following:

This past quarter, from January to March 2017, we saw record Xbox Live engagement with 1.1 billion multiplayer hours logged globally, a 14 percent increase year-over-year. Looking ahead, we are excited to share more about our plans for Xbox One, including launching the world’s most powerful console – Project Scorpio – alongside an amazing lineup of new Xbox One games. We are thrilled with the incredible response we have received to date for Project Scorpio, and look forward to sharing more about the Xbox One family of devices in the coming months.

As indicated by the quote above, Microsoft is placing emphasis on its plan for Holiday 2017 where it will debut several high profile exclusives, some of which will be announced at E3 this June, alongside a mid-generation hardware refresh: Project Scorpio.

Sony has had a strong presence to start the year with an array of critically acclaimed exclusives that range from Nioh to Horizon Zero Dawn and Persona 5, in addition to strong third-party representation with NieR: Automata.

The PS4 currently stands as the 12th best-selling gaming device of all-time with over 55 million units sold globally. In contrast, the Xbox One has sold over 28 million consoles.
Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...itch-takes-top-spot-40187#6TjrG14IfxEvOqSO.99

Chobel

The PS4 currently stands as the 12th best-selling gaming device of all-time with over 55 million units sold globally. In contrast, the Xbox One has sold over 28 million consoles.

Are these official numbers?

mo60

It would be insane if the Switch sold close to a million in March. Has any console or handheld sold close to a millon in a non holiday launch month?

Dynomutt

Edit: 1st week on the market nvm

MS now in third place, what should they do now?

Stay quiet till June?

Talk about quiet.
aa962391601f246f224494298e5f2b97.jpg

Sony has been super quiet with NPD and really in general. The studio heads have been visible like Druckmann and Hulst. But management has been quiet both Shu and Shawn even Andrew as a matter.

I doubt Switch is anywhere north of 800k. I think, while it's performance will be impressive, I doubt Nintendo would pass up PR talking about how they outdid PS4/XB1 or were close to their launches.

Toki767

Talk about quiet.
aa962391601f246f224494298e5f2b97.jpg

Sony has been super quiet with NPD and really in general. The studio heads have been visible like Druckmann and Hulst. But management has been quiet both Shu and Shawn even Andrew as a matter.

Eh. They really don't need to talk. Their output and sales kind of speaks for itself at this point.

I also kind of appreciate that they stuck to not responding much to NPDs after they stopped doing it when the PS3 wasn't selling well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That was an awful pr statement even as far as spin goes it's dreadful. 3 months combined and your still only talking about an increase in hours played not sales.

Boke1879

You know what? I wonder why MS just doesn't stay silent? This PR really doesn't do anything to instill confidence.

Sony has been winning most months and they still remain quiet about it. Maybe because they are just focused on getting revenue.

But I would think it would be helpful to get the gaming public to not focus on NPD if they didn't mention anything about it.

It would be insane if the Switch sold close to a million in March. Has any console or handheld sold close to a millon in a non holiday launch month?

Non holiday launches are pretty rare especially in the USA.
3DS did about 500k but launched near the end of March instead of the beginning.

Asd202

I meant in NA. IIRC, the PS4 launch was 900k.

No it was around 1.4 million in November while supply constrained. Also such high number for Switch is not surprising as we saw this gen every console has had best first month in it's history. Consumers just buy new console faster than it the past the problem seems to be keeping that momentum in the next months/years.

Shock32

You know what? I wonder why MS just doesn't stay silent? This PR really doesn't do anything to instill confidence.

Sony has been winning most months and they still remain quiet about it. Maybe because they are just focused on getting revenue.

But I would think it would be helpful to get the gaming public to not focus on NPD if they didn't mention anything about it.

Good points. Obviously Sony wants to win NPD . Cause duh why wouldn't they. But if they don't they are making so much bank worldwide it's not that big of a deal (for lack of a better phrase). They have a plan and they stick to it.

I said NA too, in fact it took 2 weeks for it to launch anywhere else

Just pointing that the hypothetical PR mentioned is not feasible.

No it was around 1.4 million in November while supply constrained. Also such high number for Switch is not surprising as we saw this gen every console has had best first month in it's history. Consumers just buy new console faster than it the past the problem seems to be keeping that momentum in the next months/years.

Wait, what the hell?

My apologies. For some reason I'm remembering the PS4 doing 900k or about there in November and the same amount in December NPD.

Are those numbers completely incorrect?

Wait, what the hell?

My apologies. For some reason I'm remembering the PS4 doing 900k or about there in November and the same amount in December NPD.

Those are the XBO Numbers. Very slightly over 900K for November and December.

PS4 was estimated at 1400K for November, and lower than 900K for December.

Welfare

Wait, what the hell?

You're thinking of the Xbox One.

November 2013: 909K
December 2013: 908K

PS4 November 2013: 1138K
PS4 December 2013: 863K

MS is the opposite of quiet recently.

I was actually trying to tell them to shut up since their PR has been degrading more and more every month. April and May won't help them at all since literally nothing new for XB1 S is releasing. I expect sub 150k sales soon with more Scorpio news released and potential sales put on hold by interested consumers.

joecanada

Gonna be some very rough months for Microsoft till Scorpio and who knows how long that bump will even last.

I doubt Scorpio sells a significantly higher percentage than pspro.... there's no reason to think so unless this gen MS has the more enthusiast crowd and less mainstream... which we don't really know except that I was pretty surprised how well the pro controller sold.... If scorpio sales account for more than 10-20% of xbox sales I would be surprised.

Top Bottom