• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, April 11th

I really wish Switch would get decent stock. I mean is it still too early to be annoyed by this? What the heck did they think was gonna happen here?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I really wish Switch would get decent stock. I mean is it still too early to be annoyed by this? What the heck did they think was gonna happen here?
It should start getting decent stock by the end of April, that's MK territory and I highly doubt they's want to knee-cap whatever boost that provides.

AmyS

It was confirmed that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One during the month of March. This marks the fifth month in a row that PS4 has led the Xbox One in sales within the territory. The last victory for Microsoft was last October, which was attributed to both strong first-party software (i.e. Gears of War 4), as well as the recent release of the Xbox One S.

So in March:

Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft

Expected.

We'll hopefully soon know how much Switch sold in March. If it's anything north oft ~750k I really think Nintendo was simply surprised by demand.

Unknown?

So in March:

Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft

Expected.
Very expected. I wonder if the gap is as huge as last month. Xbox could have been a distant third this month. I'm guessing the gap is finally at 2 million between the two now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Edit: 1st week on the market nvm

MS now in third place, what should they do now?

Stay quiet till June?
This makes me wonder is that why the Scorpio reveal got pushed to E3. Bigger audience, more exposure, more attention on it.

Wasn't it supposed to be revealed before E3 in a smaller setting?

We'll hopefully soon know how much Switch sold in March. If it's anything north oft ~750k I really think Nintendo was simply surprised by demand.
Considering they forecast shipping 2M worldwide, 750k is in the right ballpark to meet that, but we don't know if they even shipped 2M yet.

jayu26

Considering they forecast shipping 2M worldwide, 750k is in the right ballpark to meet that, but we don't know if they even shipped 2M yet.
Really, because I made my predictions thinking 2million was confirmed.

Edit: yeah, I am beginning to think I predicted higher than what it will end up being.
Inb4 PS4 goes beast mode and outsells Switch
In March 2017 NPD thread? What are talking about?

Really, because I made my predictions thinking 2million was confirmed.

Edit: yeah, I am beginning to think I predicted higher than what it will end up being.

In March 2017 NPD thread? What are talking about?

I predicted based on assuming they would exceed 2m, but I don't think there has been confirmation either way, could be wrong tho

Piggus

MS PR said:
This past quarter, from January to March 2017, we saw record Xbox Live engagement with 1.1 billion multiplayer hours logged globally, a 14 percent increase year-over-year.

I can't believe MS is still doing this shit and trying to pass it off as impressive information. Of course the total number of hours logged is going to be higher when there are MORE XB1s in homes compared to this time last year. The real question is whether gamers on average are logging as many hours as they were a year ago. How does that 14% increase compare to the increase in total systems sold since January 2016? Is it the same? Higher? Lower? Because if it's lower, it means people aren't spending as much time with the system. I think MS just like to throw a big number out there and hope that most people won't put much thought into it.

Capella

This makes me wonder is that why the Scorpio reveal got pushed to E3. Bigger audience, more exposure, more attention on it.

Wasn't it supposed to be revealed before E3 in a smaller setting?

Are you talking about the hardware event they recently announced? I don't think that was ever gaming related. Unless there was some other event planned I think it was always supposed to be revealed at E3.

Edit: 1st week on the market nvm

MS now in third place, what should they do now?

Stay quiet till June?
Did you expect Switch to somehow sell worse than XB1 on launch? I'm kinda confused why this seems shocking

Edit: oh you're talking about them stopping with the pointless PR. Ya I see that haha

The real question is whether gamers on average are logging as many hours as they were a year ago. How does that 14% increase compare to the increase in total systems sold since January 2016? Is it the same? Higher? Lower? Because if it's lower, it means people aren't spending as much time with the system. I think MS just like to throw a big number out there and hope that most people won't put much thought into it.
Measuring LTD at end of February, Microsoft have 41.2% more consoles sold in 2017 versus in 2016. So a naive calculation would be that each owner is spending about 20% less time playing on Xbox One this year than last.

Of course, the real picture is more complicated. Since last year Microsoft launched Xbox One S, so some percentage of the "installed base increase" was actually folks just replacing their original Xbox One. In addition, over time the new customers attracted by a platform are, on average, less enthusiasts and more casual. So to some extent the lower engagement numbers don't indicate old customers playing 20% less. Instead they may be just as dedicated as ever (or more), but some newer, less committed customers are playing, say, 40% less.

In addition, the fact that they said they were up over the whole first quarter may indirectly indicate they were actually down YoY for March alone. If so, then the prior two months would've been up YoY by more. This would have no effect on the overall numbers, but might paint a better narrative. It's not as concerning if "the rise in engagement more nearly matched the rise in hardware, except in March"...as opposed to "the rise in engagement lagged behind the rise in hardware all quarter long."

God damn. I take it back. Well done Nintendo!
Yeah, really great, especially for a non-holiday launch. The only one of those that's close was Gameboy Advance at 881k in June 2001. The only consoles of any kind to be higher than Switch are Xbox One and PS4 from November 2013. (Unless there's some weird surprise hiding in previous generations; my data doesn't go back into the 90s or earlier, but I'd be shocked if there'd ever been a million-unit launch that long ago.)

Hmmm I thought numbers went out on Thursdays?

Anywho, congrats to Zelda and Switch.

Curious to see what the other software did for the month, such as Horizon. Really want to see how it compares to TLOU or other new IPs from this gen

Wil348

Gonna be some very rough months for Microsoft till Scorpio and who knows how long that bump will even last.

Considering how the target demographic for Scorpio is enthusiasts and will be priced to reflect that, I can't see Scorpio giving XB1 a massive boost when Pro didn't contribute all that much to the PS4's success last Christmas. It was the Slim that did most of the work.

wapplew

If its anything like the S then God help them.

Strange comment.
Xbox doesn't need help, they are happy with the numbers and engagement, with or without Scorpio.
It's not like Xbox losing any big western big publishers support. Games sell well on the platform, publishers will continue make games for it, it doesn't need help.

Zedark

Wii - 476K
WiiU - 425K
That's massively less than Switch. Surely that can't be explained only by Switch having a whole rather than a half month, so it seems to me that they have stocked quite well in comparison (still not good enough, though).

gtj1092

[NSW] 950K
[PS4] 317K
[XB1] 185K

If Nintendo was able to ship a little over 2 million units in March WW I believe nearly half would of been to NA.

Never done this but quoting myself. Not too bad of a guess. Zelda fan is the hardest of the hardcore Nintendo fan.

e-gamer

Strange comment.
Xbox doesn't need help, they are happy with the numbers and engagement, with or without Scorpio.
It's not like Xbox losing any big western big publishers support. Games sell well on the platform, publishers will continue make games for it, it doesn't need help.

Agreed. Let's wait and see what another sku can do for the platform.

ianpm31

If its anything like the S then God help them.

At 499 price point where MS has a brand problem around the world. They are going to have a tough time selling it outside of the hardcores of us/uk. Price matters in those countries too. Rest of the world it won't exist

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Since Nintendo announced Switch sales for March, a sneak peak at what's currently going on Amazon.com's Top 100, a bit less than two days after the Direct (no accessories counted)

As of April 14th, 2017 | 15:33 GMT

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1st
Nintendo Switch Grey - 9th | not available
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 10th
Splatoon 2 - 36th
Arms - 51st
Nintendo Switch Neon - 63rd | not available
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - 64th
Super Mario Odyssey - 71st
1-2 Switch - 80th
Puyo Puyo Tetris - 82nd | PS4 SKU: 746th
Cave Story+ - 87th
LEGO City Undercover - 95th | One SKU: 290th | PS4 SKU: 375th

Since Nintendo announced Switch sales for March, a sneak peak at what's currently going on Amazon.com's Top 100, a bit less than two days after the Direct (no accessories counted)

Splatoon 2 - 36th
Arms - 51st
1-2 Switch - 80th
Cave Story+ - 87th
I think it's fair to say Mario Kart is Nintendos most important franchise. Next to Pokémon

Zedark

Splatoon 2 - 36th
Arms - 51st
1-2 Switch - 80th
Cave Story+ - 87th

What's interesting is that BOTW's 10th ranking, one below the Switch SKU, suggests BOTW is still selling to nearly every new Switch buyer, which is pretty darn good 6 weeks after release and with MK8D on the horizon.

Strange comment.

There are a lot of people still obsessed with the "race" and not realizing that a platform can be healthy and profitable without being the industry leader.

The Xbox division is doing fine. The One isn't a home run like the 360 was but it's a healthy platform by industry standards

Top Bottom