• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC pricing confirmed ($7.99 each or $11.99 for both, 16 tracks)

Zareka

I freaking love Nintendo for this. And extra half of a game for £11. £11! I'm pretty sure you pay more than that for 5 new maps in a CoD game, 2 of which are normally from older games.

If this is how Nintendo does DLC from now on I'm gonna buy every single one. Ridiculous value.

HUELEN10

Here's a question that I don't think has been asked...

Is villager male, female, totally androgynous, or something else entirely? I doubt there will be more than one to choose from, and the design shown could be anything. Smart call if true.

Haha....

You probably deserve the right to not pay taxes on the eShop : P

For real though, I've always wondered why. For a long time things you bought online weren't charged tax, and now things that are bought online and shipped from a California location get charged, so like everything from Amazon. But digital stuff that isn't "shipped" still seems exempt so.... yay!

Is villager male, female, totally androgynous, or something else entirely? I doubt there will be more than one to choose from, and the design shown could be anything. Smart call if true.

I could see them doing what they did with the Shy Guys/Yoshis, and having a sub-menu open to choose gender/color/hair. Just a few varieties.

Also, if Link gets in, Samus should get in too, with a space ship style vehicle. I'm surprised they'd put in F-Zero stuff before Metroid.
Blue Falcon was an unlock able Kart in Mario Kart Wii. Quite good in Sherbert Land IIRC...

Can someone explain how online worked for DLC maps in Mario Golf 3DS? That's the only Nintendo game I can think of that has stages as paid DLC. Is there online segregation? How's the voting process? It could give an idea of how Nintendo's going to handle MK8 DLC tracks.
There was a free trial pack/period available for Mairo Golf. I think after the last pack hit.

Wow, that's actually a pretty good price for all of this, and hell yeah for alternate Yoshi colours. Now, if only we could give blue yoshi some pimpin sunglasses.

Robin64

Can someone explain how online worked for DLC maps in Mario Golf 3DS? That's the only Nintendo game I can think of that has stages as paid DLC. Is there online segregation? How's the voting process? It could give an idea of how Nintendo's going to handle MK8 DLC tracks.

If someone in the current group of players didn't have the DLC then the option to vote for the courses simply wasn't there.

Nosgoroth

Nice thing to wake up to, and Nintendo even lets me throw money at them immediately. Good way to capitalize on announcement hype.

Still. That price is crazy lo- no, wait, they're listening, better not say anything careless.

eXistor

Well this isn't something I expected to read today. Awesome news, seems like my lifelong dream of Nintendo All-star Kart is slowly coming true. The next Mario Kart is gonna be insanity.

Gsnap

Got em!

You know I gotta get me that orange yoshi.

This is a great way to expand a game. Lots of content for a low price. And an incentive to buy early that doesn't feel scummy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Amazing deal! This is a ton of content for the money, I just can't get over the price. If this were most other publishers we'd be paying $10 for three tracks.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Day one for both, but I demand Kirby-themed DLC.
It's all coming together!
mariokart8.jpg
dd40fe8a181fffd706f25365048c193a.jpg

the catch is the mercedes paycheck making this cheaper right??
I wouldn't even call it a catch, it's a win for everyone involved :D

People are so use to day 1 dlc that they forget that these are just cut from the main game.
So True. Posts after yours are still complaining about having to wait a few months for the DLC..

Ya who could've thought? A developer waiting to start working on DLC AFTER a game is released, not during development of the game? So it takes 6 months to release(kinda like Super Luigi U)? Nah impossible.

Only bummer is, why so long for pack 2? Glad it's coming at all, but that stinks. Maybe for longevity but MK can usually handle that on it's own.

MFW Zelda U has DLC for optional extra challenging dungeons and
legacy boss fights from previous Zelda games
thefountain.gif
It's funny, but Nintendo have basically done this kind of thing in Japan since the days of the Satellaview.

Nintendo is so bizarre. They are ass-backwards in every aspect of gaming trends, but they have DLC "right" more than any other company in the industry behind Valve.

Day 0. Totally buying.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's really not that difficult to explain. Nintendo are perfectionists, they're motivated by an internal vision they have of how they believe things should be "done right". That's both a plus and minus, compared to the rest of the industry. The plus is that when they are able to execute their ideas in accordance with their vision, the result is glorious. The minus is that often their vision may just be unrealistic or impractical, and instead of making a compromise and offering the consumer something that is "good enough" (for the consumer), they wait for conditions to become more favorable for their vision, and this waiting can take years sometimes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am not ok with link and Co in Mario kart.

I just think 'mario XXX' has a better and more recognisable ring to it than 'Nintendo XXX'. If this works well you might expect more non-Mario characters in Mario Party etc. Plus they'll probably want to be using the amiibos more across games too.

oti

Banned

Don't ask for answers you can't handle.

Yoshi88

The new content is not only ridiculously cheap and looks really well polished and crafted from what we can see so far, but the overall implementation is exemplary.

We got a new ingame-shop, that's opposed to other ingame-shops i know, wonderfully easy and fast to use, cleanly designed and gives us a nice visual overview of what to expect from the purchase without scrolling through several screenshot menues etc.

Next, you not only got the cheap DLCs in a really heavily discounted pack, but also a little extra on the side, if you pre-order the content, and you can use it right away. This is just nice!

And you can already see, where the packages will fit in the game, so tonight i can show my friends what we can look forward to in the nex few months of our MK evenings.

With Pikmin 3, Mario Golf and now this, it seems like they just sat there for the last few years, watched all the DLC debacles and "innovations" and Iwata slammed on the table, saying "You know, what we will do with this? We will deliver quality" (Honorably excepted are things like the RDR, GTA, Valve Content etc.)

If that overall implementation is what comes out of the "Modern Gaming"-Slowpoke Nintendo, i'm all for their approach to new things like DLC, Season Passes etc.

jobrro

Fantastic value, already pre-ordered. Only thing I don't get is we get ANOTHER version of Mario and Peach but no Princess Zelda in the Zelda pack.

Would be happy with annual updates to MK8 for a couple of years if they continue this level of value... think I would have paid double for another 16 tracks.

Haven't seen those take my money.jpgs for a while but very appropriate for this.

Any word on Australian pricing???

One pack is $10AU, both packs for $16AU.

This is such a crazy good price. Nintendo has certainly taken a consumer-friendly approach to DLC, which will make it a lot harder for me to purchase non-Nintendo DLC.

12 bucks for what is essentially half of a Mario Kart game, which other developers would probably charge at least 30 for.

After doing some CPU races, I'm pretty sure the 59fps stutter is still there. Doesn't bother me but I guess some were wondering.

If someone in the current group of players didn't have the DLC then the option to vote for the courses simply wasn't there.
Well, that doesn't bode too well for MK8.

Maybe this has been discussed before but... I find it very stupid and 'desperate' that they add link and animal crossing into the mario kart universe.. I dunno maybe I'm oldschool bit seeing Link in there doesn't make much sense..

SCReuter

Maybe this has been discussed before but... I find it very stupid and 'desperate' that they add link and animal crossing into the mario kart universe.. I dunno maybe I'm oldschool bit seeing Link in there doesn't make much sense..
MKDS had R.O.B., MKWii had Blue Falcon and Miis, and MK7 had Wuhu Island. Crossovers aren't entirely new to the series.

I'm thinking Link lines up with Hyrule Warriors and the Villgar is Animal Crossing U in May.

Jimrpg

I'm confused why this is.

The more characters the better for me. If the roster was as big as smash bros it would way better. They shouldn't limit it just because of the title. Mario kart doesn't just mean mario games, it should mean anyone who's got a following from a Nintendo game, it's better to be inclusive than exclusive.

Top Bottom