• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 DLC pricing confirmed ($7.99 each or $11.99 for both, 16 tracks)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Holy shit, I still have a code for a 5$ for the eShop, thanks to getting Pikmin 3 by buying Mario Kart 8.

I'm effectively getting this DLC (both packs) for the price of one! This is amazing!

Kouriozan

For that premium thing 256 pts left before I can get another 5€.
And yeah, 12€ - 5€ from premium = 7€

Oh and it's 8€ for each, pardon my mistake.

Zomba13

Wow both for $12? That's a pretty good deal considering it's 16 tracks and a bunch of characters and karts.

Also about time they start adding non MK characters to MK. Maybe MK9 will start with non Mario IP characters and karts (and tracks and items?) from the start.

I think it will depend on the points you've on your prenium account, they will tell you how much discount you can have.

I do not understand what the Deluxe promotion has anything to do with this. It gives you money back after you download things from the eShop; it doesn't give discounts before purchasing them.

Also Nintendo France says €8.00, so where precisely did you see these guys saw €7?

http://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Wii-U/Mario-Kart-8-765384.html?page=addoncontent

Do you understand this is MARIO Kart and this is only optional content?

There are even people here that are saying its cool becuase its a special thing, but they still want Mario kart to be Mario Kart.

I wouldnt mind seeing this more in future installments, but I would not bitch if it doesnt happen again becuase I still understand Mario kart is not super smash.
It didn't stop to be Mario KART when they added bikes...

Plus, it's not the same having a game with tons of Zelda, Metroid or Pikmin content (characters, vehicles, music, etc), than a just a cup or two with tracks from those games.

Chaos17

I do not understand what the Deluxe promotion has anything to do with this. It gives you money back after you download things from the eShop; it doesn't give discounts before purchasing them.

Also Nintendo France says €8.00, so where precisely did you see these guys saw €7?

http://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Wii-U/Mario-Kart-8-765384.html?page=addoncontent

Yes, that's it.
I got 5 euros "back" when I bought Mario Kart in my account to spend "freely".
So anyone like me who has stocked up this money can buy those DLC for cheap with the prenium account.
You need to log in to apply the "discount".

Sorry for my bad english that my explanation is confusing.

JoeInky

It didn't stop to be Mario KART when they added bikes...

Plus, it's not the same having a game with tons of Zelda, Metroid or Pikmin content (characters, vehicles, music, etc), than a just a cup or two with tracks from those games.

I would rather not have Mario Kart have tons of Zelda, Metroid or Pikmin content in the base game though.

Not surprised at all to see most people online driving mercs but wow loads of coloured yoshis and shyguys people are gobbling up dlc that won't be out for months already

I would rather not have Mario Kart have tons of Zelda, Metroid or Pikmin content in the base game though.

That's what I'm saying (about the "tons" part). I would be fine with a Mario Kart with 80% content from Mario and 20% from other franchises. It still would be a proper Mario Kart in my opinion, but more interesing than the Mario Kart 8 we got at launch.

......Wait a second.

Did I just buy a season pass?

Technically yes. You do not know yet most of the 16 tracks & the 8 vehicles that are coming. You only know about Wii Wario's Gold Mine, the 6 characters, and the fact that some tracks will be themed upon other Nintendo franchises such as Zelda / F-Zero / Animal Crossing.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You guys with a Deluxe Wii U should check if you have a 5$ code from getting a free game from buying Mario Kart 8. If you do, you are basically getting both DLC packs for the price of one!

Platy

For years... years... we've wanted non-Mario characters in MK and when it finally happens it's in paid DLC form?

I am really not sure how I feel about this.

Do you understand this is MARIO Kart and this is only optional content?

There are even people here that are saying its cool becuase its a special thing, but they still want Mario kart to be Mario Kart.

I wouldnt mind seeing this more in future installments, but I would not bitch if it doesnt happen again becuase I still understand Mario kart is not super smash.

I have no problem with people complaining ... but most people makes it sound that this is the first time it happened in the franchise o_O

In 2005 (that is praticaly TEN YEARS AGO for those taking notes) we had Mario Kart DS with R.O.B. as a playable character and Mario Kart Arcade GP with PAC FUCKING MAN, both characters that are on the next smash and have NO RELATION to the Mario franchise.

Son Of D

Off topic a bit but I hope Smash gets DLC with similar value. Maybe something like 4 characters, a few extra stages and a music pack for £8/$10/€10.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I know Dry Bowser is gong to be a Heavy but I wonder what the weight Classes of the other characters are.

I hope Link is a heavyweight too.

Heavyweights are the best racers.

:p

Off topic a bit but I hope Smash gets DLC with similar value. Maybe something like 4 characters, a few extra stages and a music pack for £8/$10/€10.

Characters require much more work in fighting games than in this game, so 10 might be a little too cheap all things considered. I'd honestly pay double for that package you suggested and still feel like I got a good value.

My heart!

/fredsanford.gif

Man... a Smash Bros supported throughout the gen with DLC packs that rich? I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Son Of D

iLZph2EC5GTRz.gif

Courtesy of this video

Characters require much more work in fighting games than in this game, so 10 might be a little too cheap all things considered. I'd honestly pay double for that package you suggested and still feel like I got a good value.

Good point. I could still see them trying to go for a lower price point than you'd expect for such a pack. $15-20 for that amount of content could work nicely.

Well if they go down the paid DLC route you better hope for crossbuy or a free voucher for the other format as buying the exact same DLC for 3DS and Wii would suck.

RPGCrazied

Don't have Mario Kart for Wii U, but just wanted to say that is how you should price DLC. I have a feeling if it was anyone else selling it, they would try and sell you one track at a time for several dollars a piece, and sell the characters individually.

And awesome to see Link.

Arclaid

I know Dry Bowser is gong to be a Heavy but I wonder what the weight Classes of the other characters are.

I hope Link is a heavyweight too.

Heavyweights are the best racers.

:p

I'm guessing Villager will be middleweight, and Isabelle might be middle or lightweight.

What are you basing this on?

On the assumption that the Triforce/leaf cups will contain new tracks (such as the F-Zero and Excitebike-themed tracks) and the bell/egg cups will contain retro tracks (Wario's Gold Mine and Maple Treeway(?)). Currently, there's an even split between new/retro tracks in the game, and each cup in the game is entirely comprised of new or retro tracks.

Sendou

On the assumption that the Triforce/leaf cups will contain new tracks (such as the F-Zero and Excitebike-themed tracks) and the bell/egg cups will contain retro tracks (Wario's Gold Mine and Maple Treeway(?)). Currently, there's an even split between new/retro tracks in the game, and each cup in the game is entirely comprised of new or retro tracks.

This image though:

I don't know.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder what the Zelda track will be like.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wonder if them adding Link and AC characters in Mario Kart 8 is testing grounds so that the next "Mario Kart" can become "Nintendo Kart" instead.

I'm also truly anticipating online matches in November to be filled with Links.

Zomba13

I wonder if them adding Link and AC characters in Mario Kart 8 is testing grounds so that the next "Mario Kart" can become "Nintendo Kart" instead.

I really hope so. Keep the MK name though due to brand power and all that but have Link and Captain Falcon and Villager and Samus and Zelda and everyone show up too. I'd rather have a nice mix of Nintendo IP characters than Baby versions of everyone or metal versions (though yeah, they are a lot easier for Nintendo to make).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

I'm also truly anticipating online matches in November to be filled with Links.

I don't think the Mario Kart series will ever become like Smash Bros. More likely the base game is 100% Mario and then DLC adds some bonus content from other series.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You guys with a Deluxe Wii U should check if you have a 5$ code from getting a free game from buying Mario Kart 8. If you do, you are basically getting both DLC packs for the price of one!

that's right. I have 5€ on my eshop wallet. I'll pre-order tonight, downloading also the Mercedes dlc
funny thing, I have a videogame night planned with a friend of mine tonight and MK8 was the main 2dish" for the meeting. with these updates, it will be even better to play it!

Omzz

just got all my downloading done. cant wait for these to drop. but seeing the content already appear on the menus is such a tease :(

Top Bottom