• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party Island Tour: Review Thread | Closing out 2013DS in... umm...

maxcriden

Man, I still cannot believe the game does not boast an online mode. This seems like a serious mistake. I rarely say this about any game but this really seems like one very much lacking as a handheld game for many gamers considering the multiplayer here is more important than the single-player and for this game everyone would need their own 3DS for multiplayer...as I'm writing this, though, I'm reminded of the argument that MP is really fun as *local* multiplayer specifically, and would be a lot less fun playing against people in other parts of the world where you can't see their reaction...it still would be nice to have the option to play online, though...so I guess all of this is to say, I'm not sure MP makes as much sense as a handheld experience compared to a console one.

Burnburn

Didn't really expect much from this...

You know, they should make a Mario Party with the best games and boards of the serie.

Boogiepop

Yeah, still holding off for more reviews, as this one doesn't seem to really approach it in a way that's valuable to me. I'm definitely interested in grabbing this as a party game, so I've still got my fingers crossed that it's a solid one.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
But Mario Party DS was great D:

Oh well, this will be a good game to play inbetween everything else that decided to come out tomorrow.

Maron

Man, I still cannot believe the game does not boast an online mode. This seems like a serious mistake. I rarely say this about any game but this really seems like one very much lacking as a handheld game for many gamers considering the multiplayer here is more important than the single-player and for this game everyone would need their own 3DS for multiplayer...as I'm writing this, though, I'm reminded of the argument that MP is really fun as *local* multiplayer specifically, and would be a lot less fun playing against people in other parts of the world where you can't see their reaction...it still would be nice to have the option to play online, though...so I guess all of this is to say, I'm not sure MP makes as much sense as a handheld experience compared to a console one.

How exactly would you make online multiplayer in a game like this work? Even for a simple 20 turn round you'd still be playing for a while and people would drop out left and right.

maxcriden

How exactly would you make online multiplayer in a game like this work? Even for a simple 20 turn round you'd still be playing for a while and people would drop out left and right.

You're right, it's a tricky proposition and as I said, I kind of half-talked myself out of the idea in my own post. I just don't think the game makes a lot of sense as a handheld release in the format it's in, with such a focus (or at least such a more enjoyable time) to be had in multiplayer rather than single player. Maybe they could at least have a minigame matchup online mode, where you would compete in minigames only.

ETA: I should also mention I really wonder how SSB is going to work as a handheld online experience. I haven't played in a long time seems like a good round of SSB would take 20-30 mins at times. I might be misremembering that as I haven't regularly played since Melee.

I've played every single console Mario Party for countless hours with 4 people, and this is how I think they hold up today, from best to least best (none of them are "worst". what you rate Mario Party as a whole simply comes down to how fun your friends are to play with).

1) Mario Party 3
2) Mario Party 6 or 2 (2 if you're feeling nostalgic)
4) Mario Party 7 or 9 (9 if you want something different)
6) Mario Party 5
7) Mario Party 8
8) Mario Party 4 or Mario Party 1 (1 if you're feeling nostalgic)

3 is all around the best in my opinion. 6 has the best item system by far and decent minigames, 2 has great minigames but is lacking in holding many items.

As for the bottom of the list, 1 breaks your controllers and 2 just thrashes it in mini games, and 4 is slow and there's no variety in items. It also doesn't have any duel mini games.

maxcriden

I've playd every single console Mario Party for countless hours with 4 people, and this is how I think they hold up today, from best to least best (none of them are "worst". what you rate Mario Party as a whole simply comes down to how fun your friends are to play with).

1) Mario Party 3
6) Mario Party 5
7) Mario Party 8

3 is all around the best in my opinion. 6 has the best item system by far and decent minigames, 2 has great minigames but is lacking in holding many items.

As for the bottom of the list, 1 breaks your controllers and 2 just thrashes it in mini games, and 4 is slow and there's no variety in items. It also doesn't have any duel mini games.

Great list. 2 is one of my favorite and 9 is really under-appreciated I think. I really liked the way it shook up the formula, and the Boo board is awesome.

Great list. 2 is one of my favorite and 9 is really under-appreciated I think. I really liked the way it shook up the formula, and the Boo board is awesome.

Yeah 9 was a nice change. Mario Party is all about being able to play with people with different skill levels. No matter which Mario Party you play, the better person still has more chance of winning. The beauty is that everyone still has a chance, and it's not about the outcome but the hilarious moments in between and of course the mini games.

I couldn't disagree with the review more. It says 4 was good and then it went downhill. Believe it or not, 4 is viewed with nostalgia glasses more than even 1,2 or 3, as it was a lot of people's first (and only) GameCube Mario Party, and maybe even some younger players first Mario Party. 6 is better in every way, and 7 is just a slightly worse 6. They are both much better wth 4 people.

It's just one of those cases where people say 4 is better without having even played 5,6 or 7 with 4 people. Kind of like saying Pokemon Red/Blue "was the best" without having played the rest.

zroid

Banned
I've played every single console Mario Party for countless hours with 4 people, and this is how I think they hold up today, from best to least best (none of them are "worst". what you rate Mario Party as a whole simply comes down to how fun your friends are to play with).

1) Mario Party 3
6) Mario Party 5
7) Mario Party 8

Ouch. 4 is probably the one I played most out of them. D:

Granted, it's also the last entry I bought, so it had to last me a lot longer than 1-3. But my friends and I definitely got countless hours of fun from 4. I do agree however that 3 is the one I have the fondest memories of, and is probably my favourite.

RM8

This is the one Mario spin-off that is truly a cash cow and nothing else. No other one, as they all offer fun, solid gameplay and are usually limited to one per Nintendo console. But Mario Party? I kind of hoped Wii Party would replace it entirely, but sadly that was not the case. Oh well... I'm just stating my opinion as facts, I guess, and there are people who like these games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think the one who's making the Bravely Default thread will get good inspiration from this one's title

Bravely Default Review Thread | Closing out 2013DS in Europe in...o maaa gaad

Tnetennba

This is pretty much the only reason I can vaguely understand this thing not having online. This isn't like Mario Kart where you can just enter a quick race and be done in a few minutes; it's a reasonably big time investment.

That's being generous to Nintendo though, and assuming this wasn't just them being consistently useless when it comes to online multi. There could totally be some sort of mini-game mode with online, but whatever. If the inevitable Wii U version's missing online THEN I'll complain.

While online certainly won't work for boards and also won't be that fun, they could definitely add an online mode for mini games. Free play or first to 5 or whatever.

Banned
Mario party hasn't been good since the N64 :( I was looking forward to this game though. I might still get it

DaBoss

My rankings:
1) Mario Party 3
2) Mario Party 5
3) Mario Party 2
4) Mario Party 7 (would be ranked higher if it weren't for that stupid Bowser mechanic)
5) Mario Party 9
6) Mario Party 6 (some maps with the day/night cycles are absolute BS)
7) Mario Party
8) Mario Party 4 (the maps are too shit in this and the idea of spaces giving only a mushroom or super mushroom is so backwards compared to 2 or 3)
9) Mario Party 8 (shit maps, terrible presentation, and the shittiest mini-games)

My thoughts about this game reviewing poorly...lol handheld Mario Party. I didn't expect anything from this game or any previous handheld Mario Party.

Didn't really expect much from this...

You know, they should make a Mario Party with the best games and boards of the serie.

Not like anyone's played all of them so it'll still feel "new".

Give it a graphics sprinkle, 7months development and boom. They can even call it Mario Party Universe.

ZiZ

it's been a while since I played a mario party, and I could use a good party game to play with my friends, so I'm probably getting this.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Still going to get it. Having not played many of the prior installments, I had a really good time with 9 and currently Wii Party U is a huge hit at my house. The single cart play sealed the deal on my purchase a long time ago. Every handheld game needs to do this.

Madao

1) Mario Party 3
6) Mario Party 5
7) Mario Party 8

this is pretty much how i feel about the series. just put mp5 above 7 and 9 and 3 on the same level as 6 and 2 and you have my ranking.

maxcriden

I can't believe this game is on 3DS when the Wii U is in such a state.

Wii U's got Wii Party U, though, which is basically MP with Miis and a bunch of other modes and features. I really need to play more of that game, there seems to be a lot of great stuff in there. I think WPU is probably more appealing to the mass market than MP. Plus, I would guess Nd Cube is working on MP 10 for an early 2015 release.

Wii U's got Wii Party U, though, which is basically MP with Miis and a bunch of other modes and features. I really need to play more of that game, there seems to be a lot of great stuff in there. I think WPU is probably more appealing to the mass market than MP. Plus, I would guess Nd Cube is working on MP 10 for an early 2015 release.

I suppose that is true. I should probably pick it up.

starmud

I can't say I really enjoyed a Mario party in sometime yet the DS version made MP so easy to find that I actually enjoyed it. I've been thinking of picking up island tour for the same reason. I'm on the fence.

this is pretty much how i feel about the series. just put mp5 above 7 and 9 and 3 on the same level as 6 and 2 and you have my ranking.

Yeah I think the general pattern between a lot of people who have played all of them is 2,3 and 6 at the top and 1,4,8 at the bottom, with 5,7 and 9 in the middle.

Having said that though, no one should feel bitter about their fave mario party being low as with the right group of friends they are all a blast anyway.

Yeah I think the general pattern between a lot of people who have played all of them is 2,3 and 6 at the top and 1,4,8 at the bottom, with 5,7 and 9 in the middle.

Having said that though, no one should feel bitter about their fave mario party being low as with the right group of friends they are all a blast anyway.

I recently played 9 with my girlfriend and her friend, and we all found it to be extremely boring, and we love the old ones..

Maron

This is pretty much the only reason I can vaguely understand this thing not having online. This isn't like Mario Kart where you can just enter a quick race and be done in a few minutes; it's a reasonably big time investment.

That's being generous to Nintendo though, and assuming this wasn't just them being consistently useless when it comes to online multi. There could totally be some sort of mini-game mode with online, but whatever. If the inevitable Wii U version's missing online THEN I'll complain.

That I understand, but neither of the two Wii MP titles carried online either despite obviously being capable, so unfortunately I doubt the following Wii U title will either. though hopefully Nintendo realizing the resourcefulness of things like Miiverse will actually lead them to make some online mini game mode at least.

Berordn

Sales would seem to indicate that Mario Party and Wii Party are equally popular. Don't have anything recent on MP9 or WPU, though I'm willing to be the latter bombed as a victim of circumstance.

maxcriden

Sales would seem to indicate that Mario Party and Wii Party are equally popular. Don't have anything recent on MP9 or WPU, though I'm willing to be the latter bombed as a victim of circumstance.

Apart from bundles in Japan, I think you're right. That is interesting that they are equally popular, I would have thought Wii Party sold way better than Mario Party 9, but either way I would think Nintendo believes WP is a more mass-marketable IP to the casual gamer set, than MP is.

fallagin

You cant really expect much quality out of mario party at this point. A real weak point for nintendo when most of their other series are great.

I swear there was one Mario Party poll where Mario Party 6 overwhelmingly won the "2nd favorite Mario Party" section >_>

also tsk tsk where are the reviews

Shinta

Banned
eh, it's probably awesome for kids. You can play local multi-player with four people with one copy of the game.

I can't shake off this feeling that it looks like Super Mario 64 DS...and that came out almost 9 years ago.

I've missed out on MP tho so might as well start from here.

Shaffield

A friend and I are gonna hit up a GS during their xbone midnight release to grab this and Zelda

To this day we still fire up Mario Party 2 all the time, so I'll post our impressions in here since we know what the fuck a Mario Party game is all about ;)

Top Bottom