• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

antonz

Mine is at 8 and I'm going to hold off on him. Seems undercooked.

Good decision. Punisher actually does pretty good AOE but his single target stuff is terrible. I even have +4 skill to my main attack etc. so I am using an attack that shouldnt be available for a number of levels.

Got in today with my Colossus starter. I held off in the beta at the end cause I was getting burned out on it, but it felt good, and I liked some of the new additions (like AIM's robot moles and things.)

Oddly enough, either one of the bugs carried over from the beta or it was just lag: continually punching can cause hits to not register at times. I would have thought that would be a high priority to fix.

Good decision. Punisher actually does pretty good AOE but his single target stuff is terrible. I even have +4 skill to my main attack etc. so I am using an attack that shouldnt be available for a number of levels.

Yea Punisher has excellent long range aoe.

Once you get the shotgun attack and buff it up, it does decent conal short range attacks too. You can just sit back blasting away at multiple targets at all ranges then.

Dawg

Thanks. I'd like to buy a starter pack but to be honest... the remaining heroes seem like b-tier... I'd love to play as Deadpool :(

Starter pack + buy extra 1000G = best way for deadpool?

Could anyone respond to this? I'm actually on the verge of buying it :p

Oddly enough, either one of the bugs carried over from the beta or it was just lag: continually punching can cause hits to not register at times. I would have thought that would be a high priority to fix.

All enemies, even the trash mobs, have a chance to completely dodge hits.

I think Deadpool is 2000 G. I think just straight up buying 2000 G is cheaper, unless you don't mind paying 10 extra bucks for the starter pack hero and his alts.

Have any of the playable characters in the game appeared as npcs elsewhere in it? Or should we expect npc characters to be off limits for the future?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Go to Level 4 as Black Panther just now. Used a XP and Rarity potion for an hour. This game is everything I wished Diablo 3 was.

inky

Well, if you just want Deadpool and only want to pay about $30 sure, but it won't take long until you'll need a stash tab too, so at that point it will be $35 - $40.

I don't think the starter pack heroes are b-tier, at least not gameplay wise. If you only want Deadpool, that's fine, if you think you might try a couple of other heroes you can go for one of the packs he is in.

I think Deadpool is 2000 G. I think just straight up buying 2000 G is cheaper, unless you don't mind paying 10 extra bucks for the starter pack hero and his alts.

This too. He is one of the pricier heroes, but if you only want him, might as well skip the pack altogether and buy him directly for $20.

Oh also, GGs to inky yesterday. I know you pulled most of the weight. :p

Until Sinister killed me in one hit and RR saved the day XP

Have any of the playable characters in the game appeared as npcs elsewhere in it? Or should we expect npc characters to be off limits for the future?

NPCs can get upgraded to PCs (Captain America used to be an NPC in early beta.) What I haven't seen is an NPC being a concurrently playable character - in other words, don't expect to run into a Cable NPC. Gazillion has said that if NPCs get promoted, the spot they once occupied gets replaced by a SHIELD agent or someone else.

So if you're hoping for Beast, Gambit, Nightcrawler or someone (as I sure am,) don't lose hope!

Scirrocco

Thor is not that OP. His durability doesn't scale that well. Even with his passive maxed -which was nerfed to the ground-, Hulk gets 5 times as much raw defense numbers in the late 20s. And many of his most powerful abilities have long windup animations. Also, he is pretty mana hungry, and you don't have an ability like a barrage to solve that problem.

@gunviolence If you are reading this, sucks about the chat issues, I only got like 2 of your mesages =( Hopefully we can party again soon.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to fix the issue now. Has anyone else had this problem? I see nothing in chat besides in game messages (like from agent coulson and shocker) but not from other players, but they can see me?

scosher

Can you only bind 6 active skills, besides mouse 1 and 2?

Or can you set hotkeys to switch mouse 1 and 2 like Diablo 2?

Thanks. I'd like to buy a starter pack but to be honest... the remaining heroes seem like b-tier... I'd love to play as Deadpool :(

Starter pack + buy extra 1000G = best way for deadpool?

If you don't want to spend $60 then probably. They had a starter Deadpool pack way back when but they replaced it with the $60 premium (which I bought).

You get "$55 of in-game currency" with the Deadpool Premium Starter. Is he still overly expensive? He costs ~$5 then, right? So if you want other characters besides him, that's a particularly good deal.

I've never even played this game and is it terrible of me that I want the $200 pack solely for Maestro Hulk?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
The pvp is so fun for me, even though it is so pointless lol. There is no win o lose, you just run around killing each other. I can say that in a Wolverine Wolverine 1v1 I havent lost and I am not very high level for pvp. Deadpool is also seriously OP in pvp lol

Gaspode_T

Just to confirm, if you don't buy any packs you don't have access until like 1.5 days from now? I am getting incorrect username / pw when trying to log in...

WarMacheen

Been playing this a bit and it runs better than the beta. Seems like a decent game and man is Cyclops OP. One shotting almost everything but bosses so far, I hope it gets a little tougher.

Dunlop

Was about to but a starter pack (cable) just to get in early not because I cared about the selection. Then read up and realized Daredevil is a starting character.

I loved DD growing up ; )

I'll wait until tuesday

smr00

Banned
You get "$55 of in-game currency" with the Deadpool Premium Starter. Is he still overly expensive? He costs ~$5 then, right? So if you want other characters besides him, that's a particularly good deal.

I've never even played this game and is it terrible of me that I want the $200 pack solely for Maestro Hulk?
I bought the deadpool pack because he's my favorite and $55 can buy a good amount of heroes.

Then i decided to go with the $200 so now i have like $105 in credit which is going to solely go towards XP boosts so i can continue stacking 100% xp boost on a few characters to level up super fast. And i bought that stupid dinosaur pet. I bought the $200 pack because after doing the math on all the characters (the bonus $50 which i would of bought if i didn't buy the pack) and a few skins i would of spent more then $200 so i figured why not just get everything for cheaper? The exclusive skins are really nice as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to fix the issue now. Has anyone else had this problem? I see nothing in chat besides in game messages (like from agent coulson and shocker) but not from other players, but they can see me?
I had this for party chat. /t and normal social channel chats worked fine, but no blue text for me. They could see my messages tho. The party chat magically fixed itself when we finished the area we were at (Bloody Rose) and went back to the Tower.

inky

Can you only bind 6 active skills, besides mouse 1 and 2?

Or can you set hotkeys to switch mouse 1 and 2 like Diablo 2?

You can use F1-F6 to bind RMB abilities.

Just to confirm, if you don't buy any packs you don't have access until like 1.5 days from now? I am getting incorrect username / pw when trying to log in...

Correct. Free access is until Tuesday.

ElyrionX

Am I hearing this right? There are people who are willing to or have already stumped up $200 for this game?

WTF.

Also those character pricing are ridiculous. Unless each hero is as fully-fleshed out as a character in Diablo 3, it is utterly ridiculous to pay that kind of money for a new character.

Don't let the devs gouge you, guys.

Anyone tried out Deadpool, Colossus, or Rocket Raccoon at higher levels?

I'm taking a break on Punisher, and trying to decide between one of them to main.

Ferny

Am I hearing this right? There are people who are willing to or have already stumped up $200 for this game?

WTF.

Also those character pricing are ridiculous. Unless each hero is as fully-fleshed out as a character in Diablo 3, it is utterly ridiculous to pay that kind of money for a new character.

For people who are willing to pay that and see themselves playing this game for a long time going forward, there is no problem with them going for $200 pack. Sure it seems like a lot of money upfront, but the savings of them having to buy heroes in game or costumes down the road makes up for it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I can't help but to imagine the X-Men Legends and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Would people really have paid $200 for those titles?

A fool and his money, I suppose, but it's no wonder we're getting DLC'd to death when this is not only a thing, but a thing that people will leap out to defend. On either side of the transaction.

I like this game. I spent 50 bucks for it, like I do for other games I like. The day I spend 200 bucks on unlockable costumes and cosmetic niceties in a game, that's the day I'm either wealthy beyond reasoning or the day I hope somebody takes my wallet and slaps some goddamn sense into me.

antonz

So spent my free currency and bout ironman, captain America and jean grey. with the freebie characters etc. a nice start and I'm sure compensation will be more free currency.

Captain America is badass with his shield throw etc. Man melee just seem so much more powerful than ranged early on. I stood there in the poison against green goblin and just kicked the shit out of him

ElyrionX

For people who are willing to pay that and see themselves playing this game for a long time going forward, there is no problem with them going for $200 pack. Sure it seems like a lot of money upfront, but the savings of them having to buy heroes in game or costumes down the road makes up for it.

It makes no sense because no one has any idea how good the endgame will be and whether the current pricing scheme will be sustainable even one month from now.

WTF.

I only spent $60 to get the Xforce pack, but each character I've played does feel different. They even go so far as to have completely different animation sets and VO for some of the costume changes. I've only played since Thursday and know I will get my moneys worth out of the game. Likely going to pick up some other characters too.

I can't help but to imagine the X-Men Legends and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Would people really have paid $200 for those titles?

No, but these titles were both developed, and then done, save for a couple of DLC packs that people also bought.
There's no constant updates to it, and other than co-op with human players instead of AI, no other multiplayer aspect either.

I like this game. I spent 50 bucks for it, like I do for other games I like. The day I spend 200 bucks on unlockable costumes and cosmetic niceties in a game, that's the day I'm either wealthy beyond reasoning or the day I hope somebody takes my wallet and slaps some goddamn sense into me.

The value of an item is different for everybody, at least when it comes to luxury items, such as video games.

At the beginning of this month, I went to watch Iron Man 3 in theater. It cost me 10 bucks. I felt utterly ripped off, given the fact that for a few months of waiting time, I could get the DVD for just a few bucks more, allowing me to watch that film over and over again.

But that's the freedom of choice. You buy things that I don't think are worth buying, I buy stuff that you don't think is worth putting money down for.
I don't regret getting that 200$ pack, I'll have a lot of content to go through and will get more than my money's worth out of it.

antonz

Oh man Jean Grey is awesome. I already have vendors upto like level 5 so at level 4 I already have her main attack up to like level 15 strength. So I basically fly around 1 shotting mobs lol

Reknoc

the pay model is both terrible and amazing at the same time. This is really the only game that can get away with this sort of cashshop and a part of me respects them for doing it. People who are really into deadpool wont bat an eyelid at paying $20 to play as him in this.

I used my free $30 to get Rocket Raccoon and Black Widow, since I don't read much Marvel I probably wont have to spend a single quid until I see Nightcrawler or Gambit up there.

Dunlop

The account for this game is based off the marvel site?

I haven't purchased a starter but I instantly get incorrect username/password. I reset on the site just to make sure it was correct

You know there going to have sales on characters, that's what you want to wait for. All f2p games have sales and the game has a tab for it right now too that simply has nothing up yet. Just got to wait...

It makes no sense because no one has any idea how good the endgame will be and whether the current pricing scheme will be sustainable even one month from now.

Some people have played a lot of the game already during the beta and enjoyed it. And so far I'm loving this so much more than Diablo 3. I'm not paying $200 myself but I can see others willing to shell out that much due to how many characters and costumes you get. And from what I understand they also get all future characters too?

smr00

Banned

WTF.

I have already put over 70-80 hours into the game through beta and early access and i see myself sinking at least twice. I find it ridiculous that there are people who spend $100+ on a shirt, $200-300+ on a shoes etc. I don't think $200 is ridiculous, as a huge comic nerd and as someone who plans on taking most the characters to max level $200 is a fucking steal, you couldn't spend $200 on newer games and get this much gameplay out of it so what's the problem?

I understand $200 is a lot of money to some people, some people might not even like the game or the pricing and that's fair. I ended buying the pack last night after spending an initial $60 on the deadpool pack and i have absolutely 0 regrets because i feel i am getting my moneys worth. There are far worse things you can spend your money on, i spend my money on things i love and enjoy :-/

Also, each character is fully fleshed out. They play completely different. Completely different animations, voices, abilities, gear, playstyle etc. If you sit here and look at how much gameplay you get for $200, it's a steal. That is if you are the kind of person that doesn't mind paying for characters. I embrace P2P.

Just leveling the characters up to max is fun enough for me. Playing with friends.

I don't really care what end-game there is, believe it or not some people just like playing as marvel characters and having fun with friends. Endgame? After 70+ hours of playing that isn't even a thought to me.

inky

BattleMonkey said:
And from what I understand they also get all future characters too?

They get all characters in the OP. Future, unannounced characters they'll have to buy like everyone else.

How is Spider-Man in the game? My favorite Marvel character by far and at 2000 G or whatever I suspect he will never drop.

I bought the Ms. Marvel starter pack and debating which came with 1000 Gs iirc so I'm debating whether to just splurge the additonal $10 and grab Spidey and have my two favorite heroes available day 1.

They definitely made Deadpool better. In the beta I didn't really feel like I was doing damage, but now you can certainly tell. Also, his hp regen is crazy.

Ferny

I totally just found out they have rested xp for the heroes in the game. Pretty cool idea to make you play other heroes.

Top Bottom