• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I don't know what Capcom was thinking with that absurdly anticlimactic Jedah reveal. They skipped his intro, dropped a bunch of combos, and only showed a couple of his moves. It really makes Capcom seem like a group of three people working out of a garage.

MvC3 had the best pre-release cycle for a fighting game that I can remember (besides Smash). MvCI is probably the worst.

Pompadour

I wonder if MvCI has a smaller marketing budget than SFV.

They're spending marketing money on Story Mode shit (trailers, Ultron statue) because that's the only lesson they learned from SFV, apparently.

Regardless, I think single character trailers wouldn't work well for this game despite being great for MvC3. The reason for that is there are very few new characters and, unlike MvC3, there isn't that excitement in seeing veterans transistion to 3D and what's changed about their movesets.

SFV character trailers worked really well because even the vets were heavily changed. There's no "I wonder what Dormammu's V-Trigger will be" aspect to reveals because the game design is similar enough to MvC3 that changes aren't mandatory. The changes are more general system changes (and decreased movelist sizes, apparently).

Skilletor

I don't get why we don't have the SF5 Character highlight videos for Marvel.

I thought Abigail looked terrible in the reveal, but his highlight vid sold me on the character.

Caj814

Bruhs I remember when they revealed the Magneto trailer at NYCC 2010 panel. People were fainting and shit.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGfSsoLyyMI

I miss Niitsuma. I miss this hype.

imagine the ones who were there in person
UiEMdvB.gif

Jawmuncher

MVC3 marketing was on point. I was excited that whole time. I remember the Wesker Reveal at TGS and the lady screaming on the video. Hell, going back I was in Basic Training when the game got revealed. I hd someone mail me a rumored list of characters (Had to sneak it pass the drill SGT) and the first thing I did when we got access to phones was watch the trailer on the smallest screen imaginable.

Good times.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Also no character trailers is ridiculous, have a character showcase too. I mean all SFV characters have it.

Maybe there's no budget for a trailer per character or something like that.
It's really a shame cuz i would love to see Jedah in detail.

J-Tier

Maybe they didn't allocate any of the budget towards marketing. The terrible marketing in general seems to suggest so. Jedah could've been much more hype.

My theory is that because they have so few newcomers they felt doing individual character trailers would make it seem too much like a rehash of 3. Obviously there are better options than what they ended up doing, though. I'm really surprised they haven't released any sort of character breakdowns with combofiend explaining the tools and playstyles of new characters.

DR2K

Banned
I honestly think they're just riding the wave of MCU and hoping that association alone will pull in 2 million sales: only problem is Marvel isn't advertising it.

JayEH

SFV marketing was good as well even if it had a lower budget compared to their past fighters. That announcement trailer is one of the best trailers of all times imo. Everyone was hyped for the game until a week before launch when we found out it had no content.

JayEH

During SFV on ESPN they showed the first story trailer lol. I guess they learned their lesson from the E3 one.

J-Tier

I dunno why they didn't bring Niitsuma back. I'm happy where this game is going, and it has frigging Jedah, but the what ifs...

JazzmanZ

That lack of Character trailers could play in part to the fact this is Capcom Japan working on the game and not Capcom USA Branch which owns the Street Fighter series.

DR2K

Banned
That's super optimistic, imo. Even it they had better marketing.

Honestly working with Marvel isn't worth it. From how they bitched out on MVC3(even though it was a huge success) to forcing UMVC3 before the license expired. To cutting off support completely. To pulling the plug on all digital releases. To the current roster mishaps. They're just a very shitty company to work with, especially while Capcom is going through an internal existential crisis.

It's a shame Capcom can't work out a deal with another major IP.

J-Tier

It's a shame Capcom can't work out a deal with another major IP.
Yeah, it probably would've been easier too, assuming they made a deal with a Japanese company.

Bandai Namco, Sega, Shonen Jump, Arcsys, Konami etc.

Edit: SNK

Edit 2: Nintendo, Sony

Edit 3: Square Enix

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It really does feel like Capcom just has bad, overbearing upper management at times. The simplest of stuff could be done to have people viewing this game in a more positive light, or at least place Capcom themselves as the main providers of meaningful discussion.

If there's things you can't talk about, push the things you CAN so far to the forefront, that discussion focused on them. The fact there's no schedule for some type of info drop is the more baffling part to me.

Capcom was probably like, all our characters have been leaked anyway, so fuck it ;p

Marvel 3 had hype as fuck character Trailers. Really wish they'd bring that back, everyone leaked or no.

Honestly working with Marvel isn't worth it.

As a fan of Marvel properties in general, strongly disagree. MVC3 came out at what was the start of a weird time for Marvel and that definitely caused issues but it turned into a game that was hype as hell and has an enduring legacy.

Marvel Infinite is coming at a time when Marvel seems to have their shit figured out at least internally about how they want to approach games and things seem a lot more stable now. Yeah, some fans aren't getting the characters they want but there's no longer the same uncertainty around it anymore. Whatever faults outside the roster in the game's pre-release I think are entirely in Capcom's court.

SaikyoBro

I thought the reveal was cool. :[

Keep in mind we're probably getting another batch of characters and a stone reveal from SDCC this weekend and the trailer will surely have Jedah and Gamora, they just gave us a little tease a week earlier. I do agree in general that the group reveal trailers aren't very exciting.

Neonep

Capcom losing Hidetoshi Ishizawa & Ryota Niitsuma shows in this game. Hopefully this game is the beginning of them grooming new talent.

JeTmAn81

As a fan of Marvel properties in general, strongly disagree. MVC3 came out at what was the start of a weird time for Marvel and that definitely caused issues but it turned into a game that was hype as hell and has an enduring legacy.

Marvel Infinite is coming at a time when Marvel seems to have their shit figured out at least internally about how they want to approach games and things seem a lot more stable now. Yeah, some fans aren't getting the characters they want but there's no longer the same uncertainty around it anymore. Whatever faults outside the roster in the game's pre-release I think are entirely in Capcom's court.

The biggest issues with this game probably can't be laid at Marvel's feet. They're probably to blame for roster issues, but the biggest problems are the breaking of gameplay traditions (no more 3v3 with assists) and the low-quality graphics.

Pompadour

The biggest issues with this game probably can't be laid at Marvel's feet. They're probably to blame for roster issues, but the biggest problems are the breaking of gameplay traditions (no more 3v3 with assits) and the low-quality graphics.

I think you can arguably lay 3v3 no assists on Marvel's feet since the previous game kind of relegated specific characters to certain roles and Marvel might not have liked that. The graphics as well because MvCI seems to be evoking Marvel's safe, generic aesthetic whereas something like MvC3's inky aesthetic could cover up model flaws on MvCI.

Of course, Capcom could have executed the current aesthetic better.

Jawmuncher

I definitely see it as being both companies at fault. Marvel for restrictions and Capcom for not allocating enough time to work around said restrictions

Neonep

I definitely see it as being both companies at fault. Marvel for restrictions and Capcom for not allocating enough time to work around said restrictions
That is the big problem. People knew not to expect X-Men and FF4 characters and people kept their expectations in check and they still found a way to disappoint.

Jawmuncher

I am catching a hard wave of pre-MVC3 release nostalgia. Awesome pics.

MVC3 was the Wild West. Since everything had to be made and there was no major leaks. Anything was a go and even returnees would be cool since they'd be 3D instead of 2D now. That whole timeline was probably the most excited I've been following a game since it felt like any character had a chance since there was so many surprises in store on both sides and reusing already made characters and forcing the MCU weren't entirely on the table.

One little thing from the UMvC3 lead up that was also nice for fluff were those weekly(?) blog posts about the characters alt color origins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom