• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1Expwy

maxresdefault.jpg

Why toilet paper?

Dthomp

The only thing as bad to me as getting Coronavirus, is being quarantined and running out of toilet paper after a week...I mean, what the fuck do you do then? Got a couple packs, and going for more I think tomorrow.

Reactions: GHG

rykomatsu

Went to Costco today and asians were raiding the shit out of it. Toilet paper, water, rice, noodles, all gone

Everyone was raiding tp and water at my Costco. It's a mix of corona panickers and normies panicking that the corona panickers will buy everything out (we fall in the latter group)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is US ready for possible outbreak?
I believe it is impossible to be ready for a real outbreak. China builds hospitals in a couple weeks and couldn't keep up. There just isn't enough infrastructure to deal with that many people sick at one time.

As far as it not being as scary as it sounds I agree, for me it is even scarier after a lifetime of asthma, bronchitis, and repeated bouts with pneumonia.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Is US ready for possible outbreak?
Expecting infected numbers to popped next week.
Stay safe US gaffers
Stay calm.
Stay clean.
Virus is not as scary as it sounds.

Numbers are going to pop as soon as they start testing more. I expect that there are outbreaks all over the US as of this moment. I think we're going to soon learn that the incubation period is far longer than we thought.
Luckily there seem to be many mild cases for younger people, but potential for reinfection or reactivation could change all that.

bRacing

Banned
My fiancé’s a nurse at the facility the guy died at in Kirkland today. She actually was part of his care team. They’re now saying 50 residents and staff are possibly infected In Kirkland. She doesn’t know when they’ll let her come home at this point.

bRacing

Banned
Just tell her that some forum goers have declared that it's just the flu and she'll be fine.
Fortunately she’s a lot smarter than forum posters blaming “lefties and the media”. But she’s not all that worried at the moment because 80 percent of the people with it respond to treatment. Twenty percent not responding is concerning. It is also concerning to them how quickly this blew up last night and today.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
My fiancé’s a nurse at the facility the guy died at in Kirkland today. She actually was part of his care team. They’re now saying 50 residents and staff are possibly infected In Kirkland. She doesn’t know when they’ll let her come home at this point.
What the hell? Did they tend to him unprotected before they found out it was Coronavirus?

bRacing

Banned
What the hell? Did they tend to him unprotected before they found out it was Coronavirus?
There was no reason to suspect any of them to have had contact with someone who might have had it. But with an incubation period of a month, who knows? It’s crazy how so many people went from zero to pneumonia today. Not gonna lie, I’m worried. But she isn’t.

Dthomp

There was no reason to suspect any of them to have had contact with someone who might have had it. But with an incubation period of a month, who knows? It’s crazy how so many people went from zero to pneumonia today. Not gonna lie, I’m worried. But she isn’t.

I feel like medical professionals probably commonly have to think positive like that. I can't imagine it being mentally good for them to live panicking before it gets bad. The incubation period is what scares me the most right now. We went from a few days to a couple weeks, to now at least a month. Whos to say it even leaves your system? This shit is scary to me.

Going to be an interesting week next week.

Still slotted to fly out of LAX on Thursday but really not looking forward to it. I think we have a layover in Seattle too.

Is it bad form to cancel on a funeral because you don't want to plan your own?

Dthomp

Going to be an interesting week next week.

Still slotted to fly out of LAX on Thursday but really not looking forward to it. I think we have a layover in Seattle too.

Is it bad form to cancel on a funeral because you don't want to plan your own?

You’ve done so much leg work keeping tabs on this, you should know better then going anywhere near WA right now, or LAX for that matter

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Sorry to hear mate. We’ll probably all know someone personally impacted sooner than later.

You’ve done so much leg work keeping tabs on this, you should know better then going anywhere near WA right now, or LAX for that matter

I know. I just keep hoping some good news will pop up or something. My Grandma died, and I'd really like to make it to the funeral but man, shits getting crazy.

And my relatives up that way are also all old, so not sure I want to bring airport germs/virus/etc with me. My cousin just got over fighting cancer too.. Ugh. I guess there is always FaceTime.

We had planned to make a week of it too, mini vacation. I'm probably going to bring it down to the wire but damn I don't want to be in a plane right now.

Korea update, still going up, at least they stayed under 4K today.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Gold Member
I feel like medical professionals probably commonly have to think positive like that. I can't imagine it being mentally good for them to live panicking before it gets bad. The incubation period is what scares me the most right now. We went from a few days to a couple weeks, to now at least a month. Whos to say it even leaves your system? This shit is scary to me.
Source?

Sakura

I said many, not all. Also tons of mild cases have probably gone unreported, skewing the numbers further. Whereas with the seasonal flu all those mild cases are built into the CDC estimates I cited.

This is irrational hysteria, and it's unfortunate that this nonsense is one of the most active threads this forum has had in years.
Ok then, let's look at the Diamond Princess. Virtually everyone on the ship has been tested, so there isn't any worry of a bunch of mild unreported cases skewing the numbers.
We currently have a case fatality rate of 1%. We still have about 35 people in serious condition, so that number could go up quite a bit depending on how things pan out, but for the sake of argument let's assume they all pull through so we still have a 1% CFR.
1% is still 20 times higher than the fatality rate for the seasonal flu, going by the CDC estimates you cited. If 32 million people were infected, that would be 320,000 dead, compared to the 18,000 from the flu. That's not even considering the hospitalization. Currently 5% of the infected passengers are still in serious condition. If you had 32 million people infected, that would mean at least 1.6 million hospitalizations, in a serious/critical condition. Hospitals would be overloaded, and you'd have even more deaths as a result.
Yet you think it is less dangerous than the seasonal flu. Do you have any logical basis for thinking this? Of course the absolute numbers for the flu are higher. The whole point is, we don't want the coronavirus to reach those numbers.

Naru

Currently 5% of the infected passengers are still in serious condition. If you had 32 million people infected, that would mean at least 1.6 million hospitalizations, in a serious/critical condition. Hospitals would be overloaded, and you'd have even more deaths as a result.
Yet you think it is less dangerous than the seasonal flu. Do you have any logical basis for thinking this? Of course the absolute numbers for the flu are higher. The whole point is, we don't want the coronavirus to reach those numbers.
The main problem, if it gets worse, will be the reported 15-20% rate of infected that need (intensive) care. Meaning they can not stay at home and need to go to a hospital to get treated. This will overwhelm any health care system, especially in the west. Like the WHO said, if you go into a hospital in China and ask how many respirators they have they say 40 or 50. When you ask in the west they have maybe 5 or 6.

Starfield

In all honesty. No matter which country, but do you expect cases go. Beyond a mil somewhere?

I think they will stop reporting nukbers at some point either becuase ut doesnt matter ir no teet kits

In all honesty. No matter which country, but do you expect cases go. Beyond a mil somewhere?

I think they will stop reporting numbers at some point either becuase ut doesnt matter ir no teet kits

Even some news media will get tired of reporting numbers as news beyond a point. This will no longer be news anymore so not sure if we would even learn that it hit a mil anywhere.

Hotspurr

Banned
Do you guys plan to get any supplies to avoid multiple shopping trips?
I know whenever there is a snow storm on the horizon here, people go nuts and clean out the grocery store, only to have a little snow fall the next day. The response is far too exaggerated.
I was at costco the other day on a Friday night, it was packed, usually it's not too bad.
I was also at a chinese buffet yesterday and usually it's quite busy, but yesterday we were basically the only people there.
This Coronavirus may be bad but the mass hysteria will make it worse for businesses and other facilities (eg. schools). Not saying it shouldn't be taken into account, but certainly the response will be far more aggressive than is practical.
I kind of feel like this weekend will be the last "normal" one before insanity hits in the US.

GHG

This thread is my current go-to site for updates. Keep up the good work Gaffers, and sorry to hear about all of you who are affected right now by this. I'm started to get worried. Does being generally unfit count as cardiovascular disease? Also, my son has diabetes type 1, so that sucks. Stay safe GAF.

The only way you will know for sure is if you have been to a doctor recently and had a health checkup.

All you can do beyond that is start being active through regular exercise (4-5 days a week) and it will reduce your risk of getting struck down with this along with reduce your risk for a whole host of other health issues that can come up from living a sedentary lifestyle.

Eat well, exercise and drink plenty of water. Those are things we should all try to do regardless, outbreak or no outbreak.

for some reason BNO newsdesk has stopped updating or tweeting on time so will use other sources for updates until they catch up

Last edited:

lyan

This thread is my current go-to site for updates. Keep up the good work Gaffers, and sorry to hear about all of you who are affected right now by this. I'm started to get worried. Does being generally unfit count as cardiovascular disease? Also, my son has diabetes type 1, so that sucks. Stay safe GAF.
If you are still in middle age I don't think that directly counts, but this is probably a good chance to start shaping up.
Best make sure to keep good hygiene though for your son's sake, your hands / belongings / clothes / shoes have the highest chance to be contaminated so best wash them (and yourself before touching anything) or leave them somewhere that won't contact other things at your home.

Mihos

Gold Member
Do you guys plan to get any supplies to avoid multiple shopping trips?
I know whenever there is a snow storm on the horizon here, people go nuts and clean out the grocery store, only to have a little snow fall the next day. The response is far too exaggerated.
I was at costco the other day on a Friday night, it was packed, usually it's not too bad.
I was also at a chinese buffet yesterday and usually it's quite busy, but yesterday we were basically the only people there.
This Coronavirus may be bad but the mass hysteria will make it worse for businesses and other facilities (eg. schools). Not saying it shouldn't be taken into account, but certainly the response will be far more aggressive than is practical.
I kind of feel like this weekend will be the last "normal" one before insanity hits in the US.

No, even if you lived in Wuhan, the odds of getting this is like 0.4%... losing your shit in the Midwest seems a little silly. CNN needs the ratings though

betrayal

Banned
No, even if you lived in Wuhan, the odds of getting this is like 0.4%... losing your shit in the Midwest seems a little silly. CNN needs the ratings though

That is so true. It just can't be repeated often enough. COVID-19 is not the pest. Due to the media reports, which need every click to make money, the whole situation is exaggerated about 100 times.

There could just as well be headlines such as: "Every day there are significantly more cases of people healed than newly infected people" or "Number of newly infected people in the worst affected areas is stabilizing" and many others, but you just don't earn money with that.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Because they’re welded inside their own homes and can’t get out? If infected were free to move around in Wuhan then chances of you getting it would be 100%.

Ornlu

Banned
That is so true. It just can't be repeated often enough. COVID-19 is not the pest. Due to the media reports, which need every click to make money, the whole situation is exaggerated about 100 times.

There could just as well be headlines such as: "Every day there are significantly more cases of people healed than newly infected people" or "Number of newly infected people in the worst affected areas is stabilizing" and many others, but you just don't earn money with that.

There's truth to that; sensationalism always sells. In a perfect world, the story would be "Can we contain this so that there isn't a new virus that spreads through the world? We don't need a deadlier flu."

lyan

The Diamond Princess is an example of what the rate would be like when someone in a neighborhood caught it, so 705 out of 3701.

Reactions: eot

Thaedolus

The Diamond Princess is an example of what the rate would be like when someone in a neighborhood caught it, so 705 out of 3701.

It’s not really comparable to that at all...both in terms of the close quarters and containment measures.

lyan

It’s not really comparable to that at all...both in terms of the close quarters and containment measures.
It is not that different to the many Asians who live in packed aparatments, the Amoy Gardens from Hong Kong is another example back then from the SARS outbreak (which current data seem to suggest it being less contagious than the coronavirus) where it infected 107 people in 1 building and 321 total in the estate.

betrayal

Banned

Because they’re welded inside their own homes and can’t get out? If infected were free to move around in Wuhan then chances of you getting it would be 100%.

The way you both think and argue bears no relation to reality. It is like saying that if no one puts out a fire in a city, all the inhabitants of the city will burn and die. It's just not a realistic scenario, becasue you will always try to avoid that.

R0 (the basic reproduction number) is four times lower on land than it was on the Diamond Princess. There are many viruses with a higher infection rate and also some influenza viruses are at the level of COVID-19 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom