• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma Jawa

20629.jpeg

How true is that?
Instead of tax cuts, should trump announce co-sharing medical costs for those under going covid treatment?

What is this? Best prepared to lie through the media? The Tories couldn’t prepare tinned soup.

Jtibh

Banned
My sister works at the children hospital in lorrach germany.
She said they probably got their first case but test results are final tonight.
The mother brough her son from a village close by that is under quaranten.
Just walk into the hospital which is dumb.

My sister also told that parents stole a bunch of masks and unscrewed the dissinfection gels from the walls.
They are taking the hospital apart.
Crazy

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
My sister works at the children hospital in lorrach germany.
She said they probably got their first case but test results are final tonight

Of course I don't know the case and just to put it into perspective, but an open test comes back negative in most cases. 2% - 5% are positive (varies depending on the country) and the rest are negative when testing for COVID-19.

In the region where I am now (East Germany) we had several suspicious cases including temporary closures of medical practices and precautionary quarantine at home. All these cases tested negative.

cryptoadam

Banned
Welp its game over. Was hoping this would stay in Asia or at least off of North America. But its only a matter of time until cases start piling up.

cryptoadam

Banned

The representative of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Qom has urged Iranians to visit the shrine, calling it a "place of healing." “We consider this holy shrine to be a place of healing. That means people should come here to heal from spiritual and physical diseases,” said cleric Mohammad Saeedi, according to Al Arabiya.

End flights from Iran. Even though the CCP tried to cover it up at least they got their shit together.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Of course I don't know the case and just to put it into perspective, but an open test comes back negative in most cases. 2% - 5% are positive (varies depending on the country) and the rest are negative when testing for COVID-19.

In the region where I am now (East Germany) we had several suspicious cases including temporary closures of medical practices and precautionary quarantine at home. All these cases tested negative.
I will update once i know the result.
They have a corona virus box there thst is only to be opened in case there is a patient infected and they just opened it.

Wait and see.

Jtibh

Banned
  • Rhode island announces "presumptive" case; patient recently visited Italy
  • Italy reports 42% jump in cases overnight to nearly 1,700
  • France reports 30 new cases, bringing total to 130
  • Czech Republic, Dominican Republic report first cases
  • Iraq, Bahrain confirm 6 new cases; Lebanon confirms 3
  • 6 being tested in NYC for coronavirus
  • South Korea confirms 18th death, officials seek murder charges for founder of church at epicenter of outbreak
  • American Physical Society cancels major scientific conference
  • Juventus quarantines U23 squad
  • Iran death toll hits 54 as Trump offers aid
  • Thailand, Australia report first deaths
  • Spain case count hits 73; France hits 100
  • Independent scientist says it could have been spreading in WA for six weeks, with hundreds infected
  • Italian cases number more than 1,100; South Korea reports more than 3,700
  • Italian death toll hits 29
  • Luxembourg reports first cases, says it's linked to Italy
  • UK cases rise to 35 as 12 new cases confirmed; 2 cases infected inside UK
  • UK health secretary says China-style lockdowns "an option"

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
  • Rhode island announces "presumptive" case; patient recently visited Italy
  • Italy reports 42% jump in cases overnight to nearly 1,700
  • France reports 30 new cases, bringing total to 130
  • Czech Republic, Dominican Republic report first cases
  • Iraq, Bahrain confirm 6 new cases; Lebanon confirms 3
  • 6 being tested in NYC for coronavirus
  • South Korea confirms 18th death, officials seek murder charges for founder of church at epicenter of outbreak
  • American Physical Society cancels major scientific conference
  • Juventus quarantines U23 squad
  • Iran death toll hits 54 as Trump offers aid
  • Thailand, Australia report first deaths
  • Spain case count hits 73; France hits 100
  • Independent scientist says it could have been spreading in WA for six weeks, with hundreds infected
  • Italian cases number more than 1,100; South Korea reports more than 3,700
  • Italian death toll hits 29
  • Luxembourg reports first cases, says it's linked to Italy
  • UK cases rise to 35 as 12 new cases confirmed; 2 cases infected inside UK
  • UK health secretary says China-style lockdowns "an option"
Fuck....why the fuck, it's dangerous to me. I have a transplant and still don't have set ideal dose for imuno-surpressants, so I am still vulnerable towards pretty much any disease. I don't need this. Holy shit it's already 3 cases....

It typically takes some time to get critical. I wonder how long they've been sick for to be instantly critical?

Washington state seems like a mess.

Wwg1wga

I know it's not "related" to the coronavirus but check this out. :pie_thinking: Drug That Promises to Kill Flu in a Day Approved in Japan. (This article was written in Feb. 23, 2018.)
Japan has approved a drug that its maker says can kill the flu virus in 24 hours, advancing what health experts believe could be a breakthrough in the way the illness is treated. A Japanese company reports that it has developed a drug that can kill the influenza virus within 1 day. However, even if the drug proves successful, it likely will not be available in the United States until 2019 at the earliest. According to the company, a late-stage trial involving Japanese and American influenza patients found that for people who took the experimental Shionogi compound, the median time to eliminate the virus was 24 hours. That is much faster than other influenza drugs on the market, and it only requires one dose. Both the experimental compound and oseltamivir phosphate (Tamiflu—Roche), which requires two doses a day for 5 days, take approximately the same amount of time to entirely contain symptoms of influenza; however, Shionogi claims that its compound offered immediate relief more quickly. Shionogi and Roche, which has acquired the international license to distribute Shionogi's experimental drug, are in the final stages of conducting a second late-stage global trial. Other companies are testing new compounds to test influenza A; but Shionogi's is furthest along.

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through February 22, 2020, there have been :
18,000 – 46,000 flu deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

That makes sense.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Dominican Republic case is from Italy
Our first case is from an Italian tourist staying in a resort. People are starting to panick.

My only question is why are so many cases all over the world coming from Italy? Doesn't their goverment have any kind of measure or quarantine policy to avoid the spread of the virus? I'm surprised of seeing more cases originating from Italy than from China.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Our first case is from an Italian tourist staying in a resort. People are starting to panick.

My only question is why are so many cases all over the world coming from Italy? Doesn't their goverment have any kind of measure or quarantine policy to avoid the spread of the virus? I'm surprised of seeing more cases originating from Italy than from China.
Probably spread there for weeks u noticed that's why. Same for Iran. Only difference Iran plus their religion make it worse or easier for that virus to spread while Italy tries. But they don't try hard enough imo. They will open schools and public places again next week. Seems to be dumb idea.

Jtibh

Banned
Fuck....why the fuck, it's dangerous to me. I have a transplant and still don't have set ideal dose for imuno-surpressants, so I am still vulnerable towards pretty much any disease. I don't need this. Holy shit it's already 3 cases....
Make sure to have plenty of water. Lots of vitamins. Healthy food.
All to boost immune system.
Have lysol ready.
Have always a change of clothes.
Stay if you can away from all public places of large gatherings.
Limit your outside time to the minimum.
Dont touch anything or ANYONE. Dont touch your face. Ever. Always wash your hands.
What ever you can do from home be it work excercise or what ever, do it from home.

For a while at least.
Forget about masks. I got painter gear. So full face mask for spraying with fillters.

M1chl

Make sure to have plenty of water. Lots of vitamins. Healthy food.
All to boost immune system.
Have lysol ready.
Have always a change of clothes.
Stay if you can away from all public places of large gatherings.
Limit your outside time to the minimum.
Dont touch anything or ANYONE. Dont touch your face. Ever. Always wash your hands.
What ever you can do from home be it work excercise or what ever, do it from home.

For a while at least.
Forget about masks. I got painter gear. So full face mask for spraying with fillters.
That's what I cannot do sadly. Because I need to tame my immune system so it does not destroy foreign organ in me...

GeorgPrime

Banned
Two days ago a son from someone we know came back from Rome, Italy. He was supposed to meet the pope with his class. They couldnt meet the Pope because of Corona outbreak. He was there when it raised from 0 to 1200 cases. They even couldnt go back in time and had to reschedule. 2-3 Days delay for their trip home.

Now they are back and they are not allowed to go to school for 14 days. His mother and the son wanted to come here for a coffee and my friends said "Jeah sure come..."

Now they dont come here because the son seems to be sick.... they will have him tested now for Corona.

Funny times.

Last edited:

Breakage

Has anyone seen an increase in regular hand washing? The corona-related radio adverts here in the UK encourage people to wash their hands often. Even the Prime Minister has advised people to wash their hands regularly. Whether people here actually heed this advice is another story. I can't say I'm confident that many will.

GHG

Get the necessary supplies and take care man.

You just need to hope that the other people in your country take it seriously and don't go around saying "it's just a flu" while spreading it.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
That's what I cannot do sadly. Because I need to tame my immune system so it does not destroy foreign organ in me...
I see. Best is to hide like a hermet.
I had mitral valve repair done 2 years ago. Minimal invasive surgery so no chest openend bit srill brutal recovery.Though at low risk, i heard meds used for treatment are weakening the heart.

M1chl

Get the necessary supplies and take care man.

You just need to hope that the other people in your country take it seriously and don't go around saying "it's just a flu".
Well, at least my hospital is taking it pretty seriously. So I am stuffed with surgical masks, N95 filters and PFF3 masks. I hope I get those names right. Oh and I got supply of desinfection, so I carry it everywhere and I got on mixed with water which I spray on my clothes. I do whatever I can.... I hope it's enough.

I see. Best is to hide like a hermet.
I had mitral valve repair done 2 years ago. Minimal invasive surgery so no chest openend bit srill brutal recovery.Though at low risk, i heard meds used for treatment are weakening the heart.
Hmm Mitral Valve sounds like I serious bussines, since it's linked to "sudden death syndrome". I hope you recover well. It hurts or why "brutal recovery"?

Anyway thanks bois for support!

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Some people here greatly overestimate the risk of infection. There are already many examples that show that just because you have had contact with infected people, you do not automatically become infected.
In Germany, for example, an employee of a school was tested positive and all other teachers and students were tested as well...and the result was negative. There are countless examples. In many families only one is infected, but others are not, even though they all live in the same household.

Even pessimistic predictions assume a number of infections of about 50 - 70% in most European countries. But not in the coming weeks, but over the next few years.

Jtibh

Banned
Well, at least my hospital is taking it pretty seriously. So I am stuffed with surgical masks, N95 filters and PFF3 masks. I hope I get those names right. Oh and I got supply of desinfection, so I carry it everywhere and I got on mixed with water which I spray on my clothes. I do whatever I can.... I hope it's enough.

Hmm Mitral Valve sounds like I serious bussines, since it's linked to "sudden death syndrome". I hope you recover well. It hurts or why "brutal recovery"?

Anyway thanks bois for support!
I was diagnosed almost at the very end by accident.
I showed no symptoms and just felt tired.
Did ecg had echo done and was told need surgery right away or thats it for me.
It was still 6 months till my surgery so i went from feeling tired to cant even lift a cup without catching my breath.
Very mild heart enlargment so mild heart failure occured.
Surgery was 7 hours.
After waking up i was on pca for 5 days due to pain.
They had to break my ribs and go from there to access the heart so lots of pain after.
Felt better after 2 weeks.
But developet pericarditis and that was on and off for a year.
I am good now , even better than before but cant have fever as it would go to my heart.
Need antibiotics asap. Same if i have to go to the dentist etc. need antibiotics.

All i can do is stay healthy eat good lots of water and excercise . A lot.

M1chl

I was diagnosed almost at the very end by accident.
I showed no symptoms and just felt tired.
Did ecg had echo done and was told need surgery right away or thats it for me.
It was still 6 months till my surgery so i went from feeling tired to cant even lift a cup without catching my breath.
Very mild heart enlargment so mild heart failure occured.
Surgery was 7 hours.
After waking up i was on pca for 5 days due to pain.
They had to break my ribs and go from there to access the heart so lots of pain after.
Felt better after 2 weeks.
But developet pericarditis and that was on and off for a year.
I am good now , even better than before but cant have fever as it would go to my heart.
Need antibiotics asap. Same if i have to go to the dentist etc. need antibiotics.

All i can do is stay healthy eat good lots of water and excercise . A lot.
Damn that's pretty tough. I hope you stay healthy...well obviously. But that's pretty long surgery. I hope you living in some civilised nation, so you had to pay millions for that surgery...

Jtibh

Banned
Damn that's pretty tough. I hope you stay healthy...well obviously. But that's pretty long surgery. I hope you living in some civilised nation, so you had to pay millions for that surgery...
I had good care and was lucky to qualify for the minimal invasive surgery. Its a quick recovery with little longtherm complications well other than the pericarditis which on its own is fucking painfull . Had to be on prednazone for that crap and anti inflamatories for months.
But its very painfull hence the need to qualify for it. You know they cut trhough your chest and break the ribbs to create a tunnel. So cut through a lot of nerves.
Live in canada so it was for free. Even rehab and everything. Wife works for hospital sonhave bluecross which is a type of health insurance therefor even meds cost me a few bucks .In the US it would have cost me around half a mill.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I know it is said a lot here but I still have seen no evidence of this being more dangerous than any regular flu but people seem to panic and media is kinda overblowing it.
Am I missing something? Normal flu kills tens of thousands each year apparently?

This is just taking off while the flu is already in maximum effect around the world.

If this reaches as many people as the flu then we’re gonna have a problem.

M1chl

I had good care and was lucky to qualify for the minimal invasive surgery. Its a quick recovery with little longtherm complications well other than the pericarditis which on its own is fucking painfull . Had to be on prednazone for that crap and anti inflamatories for months.
But its very painfull hence the need to qualify for it. You know they cut trhough your chest and break the ribbs to create a tunnel. So cut through a lot of nerves.
Live in canada so it was for free. Even rehab and everything. Wife works for hospital sonhave bluecross which is a type of health insurance therefor even meds cost me a few bucks .In the US it would have cost me around half a mill.
You mean Prednisone? Because that's one of the medicament for the 3-way of immuno supressive treatment. Tacrolimus, CellCept and Prednisone. And prednisone is shit, because that's corticoids and it couse a lot of hormone imbalances. For example I cannot grow anything on my face, now I have to shave daily and shit like that. I hope they put me off Prednisone soon...

Kadayi

Banned
Has anyone seen an increase in regular hand washing? The corona-related radio adverts here in the UK encourage people to wash their hands often. Even the Prime Minister has advised people to wash their hands regularly. Whether people here actually heed this advice is another story. I can't say I'm confident that many will.

I think people are beginning to wake up, though as with any of these things, we're beholden to the weakest links in society.

Someone at my office is out in Tenerife, and albeit not in the infected Hotel, they were told by management here that they'd have to self isolate and work from home for 2 weeks when they get back, but apparently they didn't seem to realise that means they need to be on their own and not interact with anyone directly for two weeks, not just stay away from the office. :messenger_dizzy:

I don't get the sense that people comprehend that albeit they might be fine (it's just a Coff), this virus is particularly contagious and inadvertently infecting someone else by not being careful could well result in someone they know getting infected and dying.

Dthomp

This thread is my current go-to site for updates. Keep up the good work Gaffers, and sorry to hear about all of you who are affected right now by this. I'm started to get worried. Does being generally unfit count as cardiovascular disease? Also, my son has diabetes type 1, so that sucks. Stay safe GAF.

Just wanted to say, stay safe and stock up, take precautions. I've had T1 my whole life and am definitely not pretending this couldn't be life threatening to me. The way this goes through your system, even if a diabetic were to live through this, the damage done would likely make you very likely to have complications from something else. I've done a good amount of stock piling supplies (Strips, Insulin, Food, TP, Soap) worst case is I don't die and I don't need to buy these things for 4 months. People with weaker immune systems SHOULD be keeping up with this and not turning a blind eye claiming low percentages will get it. They are not at the risk that some of us are.

Someone needs to explain how were the most prepared when were denying that we even have an issue.

Can't have an issue if we don't test for it? Nothing to see here /s

Jtibh

Banned
You mean Prednisone? Because that's one of the medicament for the 3-way of immuno supressive treatment. Tacrolimus, CellCept and Prednisone. And prednisone is shit, because that's corticoids and it couse a lot of hormone imbalances. For example I cannot grow anything on my face, now I have to shave daily and shit like that. I hope they put me off Prednisone soon...
Yes prednisone. 4 times 5mg per day at once.
Yeah those are shit.
But it was short therm. After that colchicine for 6 months.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
This is just taking off while the flu is already in maximum effect around the world.

If this reaches as many people as the flu then we’re gonna have a problem.

This cannot be ruled out, but we must first wait and see what the current measures will change.

Even if all efforts to prevent the spread of the virus do not succeed now, there are still enough things that can stop it. Drugs, vaccinations, the weather and favourable mutations, which change the characteristics of the virus in our favour. This is more common than the opposite.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
This cannot be ruled out, but we must first wait and see what the current measures will change.

Even if all efforts to prevent the spread of the virus do not succeed now, there are still enough things that can stop it. Drugs, vaccinations, the weather and favourable mutations, which change the characteristics of the virus in our favour. This is more common than the opposite.

Hopefully they find something soon. I don’t think weather will help since it has already taken off in all seasons around the world.

Breakage

I think people are beginning to wake up, though as with any of these things, we're beholden to the weakest links in society.

Someone at my office is out in Tenerife, and albeit not in the infected Hotel, they were told by management here that they'd have to self isolate and work from home for 2 weeks when they get back, but apparently they didn't seem to realise that means they need to be on their own and not interact with anyone directly for two weeks, not just stay away from the office. :messenger_dizzy:

I don't get the sense that people comprehend that albeit they might be fine (it's just a Coff), this virus is particularly contagious and inadvertently infecting someone else by not being careful could well result in someone they know getting infected and dying.
Yeah, I agree. There is definitely that sense of “oh it'll blow over” among people here. I even a radio presenter on the British mainstream radio station LBC suggest that people are overreacting. I've seen a few more masks on the bus over the past few days (saw a Chinese couple both wearing masks yesterday), but still haven't seen any significant ramping up of hand washing. Perhaps that will change if there is a big increase in deaths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom