• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Speaking to reporters in Tehran, Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said 978 people have been infected by the virus so far, with 385 new cases detected since Saturday, Iran’s state news agency Mehr reports."

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know it is said a lot here but I still have seen no evidence of this being more dangerous than any regular flu but people seem to panic and media is kinda overblowing it.
Am I missing something? Normal flu kills tens of thousands each year apparently?

I know it is said a lot here but I still have seen no evidence of this being more dangerous than any regular flu but people seem to panic and media is kinda overblowing it.
Am I missing something? Normal flu kills tens of thousands each year apparently?

It is far better at scarying people than the flu. So that is pretty much makes it more dangerous people have been doing some cruel and stupid things over this.

It's more contagious than the flu so more people are going to get it and the best evidence so far says it won't go away when the weather warms up. So, unless we don't know something way more people will get it than the flu and the death count will be higher and over a longer period of time. This is definitely a big deal, might cause a global recession, and unless there is a positive development the death count globally will be in the 10s of millions if not more.

lyan

The way you both think and argue bears no relation to reality. It is like saying that if no one puts out a fire in a city, all the inhabitants of the city will burn and die. It's just not a realistic scenario, becasue you will always try to avoid that.

R0 (the basic reproduction number) is four times lower on land than it was on the Diamond Princess. There are many viruses with a higher infection rate and also some influenza viruses are at the level of COVID-19 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number).
They were sending confirmed cases off the cruise so they didn't just let the fire burn everyone. Note also the current R0 comes from data in China where you have a government going through extreme measures to contain it or relatively trace-able infected travelers.

Sure I think this is not the end of the world and we won't see another Wuhan anywhere else, but I would believe that's partly because of people losing their shit and shut themselves out.

Hotspurr

Banned
Why would religious people riot?

Religious people aren't exactly known to be of sound mind, given the believe in the supernatural and other superstitious things. I'm not talking about your average church goer that does it because of cultural reasons, I'm talking more about the crazed fanatic that has been touched by Jesus. I could see those people finding some random verse of the Bible where they will "infer" the apocalypse is coming in April 2020, and the only thing let to do will be to "burn this muthafucka down". The Pope dying would be pretty rough.

longdi

Banned
20629.jpeg

How true is that?
Instead of tax cuts, should trump announce co-sharing medical costs for those under going covid treatment?

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Religious people aren't exactly known to be of sound mind, given the believe in the supernatural and other superstitious things. I'm not talking about your average church goer that does it because of cultural reasons, I'm talking more about the crazed fanatic that has been touched by Jesus. I could see those people finding some random verse of the Bible where they will "infer" the apocalypse is coming in April 2020, and the only thing let to do will be to "burn this muthafucka down". The Pope dying would be pretty rough.

Ehhhh I dunno about all that. This is the pope that said god loves gays and masturbation isn’t a hellworthy trespass anymore, stuff like that, right? I feel like the more likely reaction among the super religious will be “god punished him for that stuff, back to hating gays everyone.”

Since this is the Internet I feel like I have to point out that I don’t think this is right.

Someone needs to explain how were the most prepared when were denying that we even have an issue.

If you don't have a problem you are already prepared/s

Theoretically it shouldn't be as bad for us cause we are more spread out than China and our demographics are closer to normal. Even if we handle this stupidly we are less fucked than China and India.

Hotspurr

Banned
20629.jpeg

How true is that?
Instead of tax cuts, should trump announce co-sharing medical costs for those under going covid treatment?

China is almost 50% as prepared as the US? The thing with China is their population has basically given up their freedom/rights. They have monitoring cameras in major cities and the government can exert a level of control that is not possible in the US. Until this point I was thinking China was actually more prepared to handle an outbreak given the spying and population control infrastructure they have put in place. Also, the correct terminology is pandemic, if anyone cares.

eot

Banned
Four more cases in Austria, brings total to 14

20629.jpeg

How true is that?
Don't believe this for a second, Sweden is not well prepared lol

bRacing

Banned
Sorry to hear mate. We’ll probably all know someone personally impacted sooner than later.
I got some relief (sorta) tonight. She's not in the quarantined hospital. She's at Evergreen, which is where the individual died yesterday and it's where they're taking the patients who are exhibiting really bad symptoms at the quarantined location.

I'm not sure I can see this spreading far and wide in the US, but it seems to wreck shop in small confined areas like hospitals and schools. Seems almost tailor made to wipe out nursing homes.

Blond

Banned
If you don't have a problem you are already prepared/s

Theoretically it shouldn't be as bad for us cause we are more spread out than China and our demographics are closer to normal. Even if we handle this stupidly we are less fucked than China and India.

True that. I'm more concerned about the impact on infrastructure more than anything if they decide to start locking down cities

Yikes

I can only imagine how bad it is in China if they're resorting to this.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
"Speaking to reporters in Tehran, Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said 978 people have been infected by the virus so far, with 385 new cases detected since Saturday, Iran’s state news agency Mehr reports."
And when they say "have been infected" they're only talking about people who are symptomatic, or perhaps even worse only people who are symptomatic and have tested positive. The number of infected is probably quite a bit higher than they're reporting. Meanwhile all those asymptomatic people appear to be infectious to others for at least some non-zero period of time.
I'm not sure I can see this spreading far and wide in the US, but it seems to wreck shop in small confined areas like hospitals and schools. Seems almost tailor made to wipe out nursing homes.
Nursing homes, retirement villages, the homeless, all probably higher risk. Once it does get loose and it looks like that has happened any place where lots of people live/work together is going to spread it, schools, office complexes, military bases, housing projects, and any commercially active urban space is going to be a good place to get infected.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Almost like it were bio-engineered, huh?

edit: oh yeah, btw. 3 new cases in Czech Rep.

Last edited:
OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
South Korea3,7362110 critical, 24 recoveredSource
Italy1,12829105 serious, 46 recovered Source
Diamond Princess705636 serious, 10 recoveredSource
Iran97854175 recoveredSource
Japan241*619 serious, 32 recoveredSource
Singapore10207 critical, 72 recoveredSource
Hong Kong9324 critical, 2 serious, 18 recoveredSource
Germany11702 critical, 16 recoveredSource
United States7011 serious, 7 recoveredSource
France10028 serious, 12 recoveredSource
Spain7603 critical, 2 recoveredSource
Kuwait450Source
Thailand4211 serious, 30 recoveredSource
Taiwan3915 recoveredSource
Bahrain410Source
Malaysia29017 recoveredSource
Australia25115 recoveredSource
United Kingdom3508 recoveredSource
UAE1902 serious, 5 recoveredSource
Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
Canada2003 recoveredSource
Sweden130Source
Macau1006 recoveredSource
Iraq130Source
Israel70Source
Oman601 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Finland301 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Belgium101 recoveredSource
Egypt101 recoveredSource
Lebanon100Source
Afghanistan10Source
Austria90Source
Croatia60Source
Switzerland180Source
Algeria10Source
Brazil20Source
Greece70Source
Pakistan40Source
North Macedonia10Source
Georgia30Source
Norway150Source
Romania30Source
Denmark30Source
Estonia10Source
Netherlands1001 criticalSource
San Marino101 seriousSource
Nigeria10Source
Lithuania10Source
New Zealand10Source
Belarus10Source
Mexico40Source
Azerbaijan30Source
Iceland10Source
Monaco10Source
Qatar10Source
Ecuador101 criticalSource
Luxembourg10Source
Ireland10Source
Czech Republic30Source
Dominican Republic10Source
TOTAL7,453114205 serious/critical
Nope

Onikaan

So you're either traditional or you're a psychopath.

Cheers, Dr.

OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
South Korea3,7362110 critical, 24 recoveredSource
Italy1,12829105 serious, 46 recoveredSource
Diamond Princess705636 serious, 10 recoveredSource
Iran97854175 recoveredSource
Japan241*619 serious, 32 recoveredSource
Singapore10207 critical, 72 recoveredSource
Hong Kong9324 critical, 2 serious, 18 recoveredSource
Germany11702 critical, 16 recoveredSource
United States7011 serious, 7 recoveredSource
France10028 serious, 12 recoveredSource
Spain7603 critical, 2 recoveredSource
Kuwait450Source
Thailand4211 serious, 30 recoveredSource
Taiwan3915 recoveredSource
Bahrain410Source
Malaysia29017 recoveredSource
Australia25115 recoveredSource
United Kingdom3508 recoveredSource
UAE1902 serious, 5 recoveredSource
Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
Canada2003 recoveredSource
Sweden130Source
Macau1006 recoveredSource
Iraq130Source
Israel70Source
Oman601 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Finland301 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Belgium101 recoveredSource
Egypt101 recoveredSource
Lebanon100Source
Afghanistan10Source
Austria90Source
Croatia60Source
Switzerland180Source
Algeria10Source
Brazil20Source
Greece70Source
Pakistan40Source
North Macedonia10Source
Georgia30Source
Norway150Source
Romania30Source
Denmark30Source
Estonia10Source
Netherlands1001 criticalSource
San Marino101 seriousSource
Nigeria10Source
Lithuania10Source
New Zealand10Source
Belarus10Source
Mexico40Source
Azerbaijan30Source
Iceland10Source
Monaco10Source
Qatar10Source
Ecuador101 criticalSource
Luxembourg10Source
Ireland10Source
Czech Republic30Source
Dominican Republic10Source
TOTAL7,453114205 serious/critical
Nope

175 recovered in Iran seems weird. More than anyone else?

synchronicity

Gold Member

jake_busey_0-610x324.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom