• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather: McGregor and Rousey are proof racism still exists in combat sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an example of being able to see the forest for the trees.

The fact that HBO Boxing sells Mayweather as a huge shitheel is why he's the richest man in sports and Rousey and McGregor are probably worth 1/100th of what he's worth.

Oh he's well aware of that. He's not stating this from a "it hurts my bottom line" perspective but rather he's starting up the the excuses for why he won't be placed very highly on GOAT lists.

This is one of the rare cases of right message, wrong messanger.

And all sports still have a racist background.

Listen to any conversation on black quarterbacks on Sports radio, whistles so loud even I can hear them

I can already hear the thug labels.

Like, D-Mac is my favorite QB (mostly because he's a great guy and hung out with me when I was a kid around the Cuse program) and it was appalling seeing how he was treated in comparison to his peers.

Tawpgun

Being white certainly helps the mass market appeal of Ronda and mcgregor.

But if Floyd thinks it's his race that's the reason he's not as revered as they are or that's the reason people don't like him.... Lol

Furyous

Sponsors want positive role models for their brands and Floyd isn't one. He still makes plenty of money without having to shoot a commercial or read a script.

Ronda Rousey is truther thinking Sandy Hook was a conspiracy and she has a violent past with domestic abuse. Clearly, someone's past is not an issue otherwise Ronda wouldn't have sponsors.

Floyd doesn't need sponsors as he makes more than any MMA fighter. Not trying to turn this into an MMA vs boxing hatefest but merely pointing out that Floyd makes more than people realize.

If there is one athlete at the peak of their prime capable of discussing these issues without fear of losing an endorsement or pissing off an entity it's Floyd.

*EDIT*

For the record, I need to fully evaluate Floyd's statements before providing a complete opinion.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the rare cases of right message, wrong messanger.

Correct correct. 100%

Mayweather is right even if people don't want to believe it coming from his mouth

Mayweather gets ripped not because he talks shit, which a lot of great boxers do, but because he talks shit, beats women, and has a style of boxing that most people don't like but it scores well with judges.

JJ watt was dancing the other day and no one said a word or wrote a letter but when Cam does it everyone loses their minds!

JJ Watt was made fun of endlessly by every radio, podcast, and forum poster because he's a goober and his act is so rehearsed it's embarrassing.

Both are going to win their respective MVP titles.

smurfx

get some go again
Talking about Laila Ali.
oh! well women boxing wasn't even a thing back when she was dominating. hell women's mma wasn't even a thing until gina carano came on the scene. even still the ufc didn't even want to bother with women's mma until not too long ago.

JJ Watt was made fun of endlessly by every radio, podcast, and forum poster because he's a goober and his act is so rehearsed it's embarrassing.

Both are going to win their respective MVP titles.

Sure, but remember the lady who wrote a letter saying she was offended by Cam's actions and didn't know how to explain it to her daughter what was happening? Let's say it was Watt, does he get the same treatment ?

Mayweather is right. But the fact it's coming from his mouth makes me not really give 2 shits.... Such is life though. Things will change with time.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Ronda Rousey is truther thinking Sandy Hook was a conspiracy and she has a violent past with domestic abuse. Clearly, someone's past is not an issue otherwise Ronda wouldn't have sponsors.
There is a difference between an ex boyfriend saying some shit to the press and being arrested and found guilty of battery multiple times.

Like someone else said, Rousey gets hype because she's young pretty and white. She's nowhere near the athlete Mayweather is, but she is more marketable and part of that is due to what Floyd is getting at.

Oh he's well aware of that. He's not stating this from a "it hurts my bottom line" perspective but rather he's starting up the the excuses for why he won't be placed very highly on GOAT lists.

Being white certainly helps the mass market appeal of Ronda and mcgregor.

But if Floyd thinks it's his race that's the reason he's not as revered as they are or that's the reason people don't like him.... Lol

At what part in the article is Floyd complaining about his place as a boxing ATG because he was a trash talker or he was black? He's simplying stating facts around the media success of the MMA fighters and white boxers (GGG) when they do something and get praised. However a black fighter doing the same has to jump through hoops to get the same success.

Slayven

Cam is the poster boy for this stuff. If he did like, 1/3rd of the dumb crap Billy has done he'd have been out of the league already.

Cam newton can't dance because he is styling on motherfuckers but Johnny FUCKING Football is taking all the drugs and fucking up after his 38th second chance?

hoos30

wut, pls tell me what non-conservative is not praising ali? I dont understand what you're saying.

Between his revealing his membership in the NOI and his reinstatement after refusing to be drafted, Ali was one of the most hated men in America.

ONLY after the country's sentiments turned against the Vietnam War were Ali's positions accepted.

MLK was hated by many until years after he was killed.

Cam newton can't dance because he is styling on motherfuckers but Johnny FUCKING Football is taking all the drugs and fucking up after his 38th second chance?

I'm surprised analysts just don't straight up say he's an alcoholic with perhaps drug issues.

The real world is a bitch innit? Where the middle class black kid from Atlanta gets shit on for having fun playing a game and trying his best to be a role model for kids, while the rich white kid with a history stemming back to HS of being an entitled shitheel will get at least 2 more teams to take a chance on him and "fix" him.

Sure, but remember the lady who wrote a letter saying she was offended by Cam's actions? Let's say it was Watt does he get the same treatment ?

Newton has been criticized for his preening, Watt has been made fun of for his obviously rehearsed dancing. But, on the whole, both of their dancing is widely celebrated by fans, the league... Newton's "Superman pose" is used in tons of NFL commercials, Watt ripping at the air after a sack similarly. I don't doubt that racism exists in sports or that many fans of sports are racists, but I don't think that one mom writing a blog post about her daughter watching Cam thrust his pelvis or thousands of tweets making fun of JJ Watt for dancing are indicative of that racism.

My point was just that, yes, JJ Watt has been widely made fun of for his stupid celebratory dances.

Back to the main point, lets not forget that Floyd Mayweather is the biggest racist in sports today... "I'll cook that little yellow chump.. Once I stomp that mother fucking midget I'll make him cook me some rice and sushi roll" or whatever he said about Filipino Manny Pacquiao.

At what part in the article is Floyd complaining about his place as a boxing ATG because he was a trash talker or he was black? He's simplying stating facts around the media success of the MMA fighters and white boxers (GGG) when they do something and get praised. However a black fighter doing the same has to jump through hoops to get the same success.

The part where he mentions himself at all when the discussion was about Ward. He knows full well that by mentioning McGregor and Rousey that the article will pick up and get his name in the news. I've seen versions of this article all over my feed and no headlines mention Ward and Laila's mention is often super deep in the article.

Floyd knows what he's doing when dealing with the press. He knows what they'll pick up on and run with and he regularly plans several steps ahead when it comes to PR.

studyguy

Floyd doesn't need sponsors as he makes more than any MMA fighter. Not trying to turn this into an MMA vs boxing hatefest but merely pointing out that Floyd makes more than people realize.

If there is one athlete at the peak of their prime capable of discussing these issues without fear of losing an endorsement or pissing off an entity it's Floyd.

*EDIT*

For the record, I need to fully evaluate Floyd's statements before providing a complete opinion.

Doesn't hurt that Floyd actively rejected sponsorships outside I think that one time he let Burger King, Fanduel and another group pay in a mil to do a walk in with him alone.

Back in 2009, Mayweather did sign a shoe deal with Reebok, but the arrangement was not renewed for 2010. By way of explanation, there is a funny and oft-repeated story that two of Mayweather’s associates told Fortune last year: only three weeks after signing the Reebok deal, he wandered into a Nike store at a mall, spent thousands of dollars, and shared photos of the spree on his social media accounts. He heard from Reebok right away with the obvious complaint: that he had a million-dollar deal with them, and that one of the basic concepts of such a deal is that he should not be buying Nike products. Mayweather, feeling boxed in, walked away from the deal and gave Reebok its money back, according to his people. After all, he makes so much money from boxing that he doesn’t need to earn anything outside the ring—why would he enter into any deal with a brand unless it’s completely on his terms?

Dude's a piece of shit but he pushes his own brand hard to a definite gain.

the people who would be "the best messenger" are exactly the same people that would never speak up about it.

funny how that works...

Learn to just take the good with the bad as well, some of my favorite boxers have real spotty pasts anyway if you look beyond their stats.

No doubt there is truth to what he says. I don't like the rousey example becaus the 2 sports are at different levels in terms of popularity right now. Cam Newton is a much better example. Although he may specifically be talking about combat sports

The real world is a bitch innit? Where the middle class black kid from Atlanta gets shit on for having fun playing a game and trying his best to be a role model for kids, while the rich white kid with a history stemming back to HS of being an entitled shitheel will get at least 2 more teams to take a chance on him and "fix" him.

Please

Greg Hardy
Ray Lewis
Pac Man Jones
Aldon Smith
A ton of of other players

In the NFL it doesn't matter. If you can play and help a team win, you will most likely get a 2nd chance. The only recent player I can think of that could have still been somewhat productive but has been shunned is ray rice.

Measley

Yeah, people hated Jon Jones and Anderson Silva for talking trash and being dominant in the ring. Definite double standard at play.

Newton has been criticized for his preening, Watt has been made fun of for his obviously rehearsed dancing. But, on the whole, both of their dancing is widely celebrated by fans, the league... Newton's "Superman pose" is used in tons of NFL commercials, Watt ripping at the air after a sack similarly. I don't doubt that racism exists in sports or that many fans of sports are racists, but I don't think that one mom writing a blog post about her daughter watching Cam thrust his pelvis or thousands of tweets making fun of JJ Watt for dancing are indicative of that racism.

My point was just that, yes, JJ Watt has been widely made fun of for his stupid celebratory dances.

Back to the main point, lets not forget that Floyd Mayweather is the biggest racist in sports today... "I'll cook that little yellow chump.. Once I stomp that mother fucking midget I'll make him cook me some rice and sushi roll" or whatever he said about Filipino Manny Pacquiao.

#RIQL

LionPride

Banned
He's not exactly wrong, in all forms of athletics black athletes are treated differently for doing the exact same thing as their white counterparts.

Yeah, people hated Jon Jones and Anderson Silva for talking trash and being dominant in the ring. Definite double standard at play.

Silva wasn't hated for trash talking. He was hated for his actual actions in the ring in terms of taunting his opponents and that was after two fights where he acted ridiculous with the taunting and never pushed to engage in either fight.

Jones got backlash because he initially tried to portray a really positive image, complete with a religious angle, and then the negative side to him started leaking here and there and kept getting bigger and bigger. DUI's, drug use, and eventually hit and run.

Mayweather's comments are not some big revelation. Of course there is racism in combat sports, and it is sickening. There is racism in every sport, all of which is sickening. As a problem with society-at-large, it is going to permeate society's many institutions, including sports.

Unfortunately for him, Floyd is one of boxing's biggest racists, and the comparison to McGregor is silly. And, look, this is coming from someone who loves to watch PBF box and generally detests UFC, including McGregor. The financial success of Floyd's second-to-last fight alone completely eclipses anything McGregor has ever (and likely will ever) accomplish.

Let me paint a picture: McGregor talks shit, some people cheer, some people boo, he wins, collects a paycheck, laughs on his way to the bank; Mayweather talks shit, more people cheer, more people boo, he wins, collects a much larger paycheck, laughs on his way to the bank. Everything Conor is doing, Floyd does to greater attendance, viewership, and monetary gain. His false distinction of, "Me and McGregor act the same, everyone loves him because he's white and hates me because I'm black" is simply not reality.

To the extent PBF is vilified, it's often due to his actions outside of the ring, the most notorious being his habitual physical abuse of multiple women, the details of which are public and disturbing. Apart from the most recent reported instance, he always escaped meaningful punishment. As a lawyer whose spouse is a former criminal defense attorney, the legal ramifications for his actions were atypical. How is that for a double standard? Public opinion of this type of behavior is understandably negative. Of course, as far as anyone knows, McGregor could be doing the same fucking thing day in and day out; the difference being, no one does know, as he has no reported history of similar behavior. The guy acts like a jackass, without question. but also doesn't have the reputation that comes along with repeated acts of domestic violence. It's really pretty easy: you beat women, people call you a scumbag; you haven't beaten any women as far as anyone knows, people don't call you a scumbag.

Lastly, and most ironically, Floyd's claim of not being racist himself is almost comically false. For all of the instances he has decried racism in combat sports, I can give you two instances of him saying blatantly and disgustingly racist remarks about others.

So, yes, Floyd, there is a racism problem in combat sports. What you seem to be missing is that you are a part of that problem.

Yopis

He is right. If your black you better be smiling or quiet. Black male can never talk trash it seems. And don't get me started on Rousey lol.

Serious question, what world do you both live in?

Who is not letting Cam Newton dance? He dances after every touchdown, all of the cameras in the stadium focus on it, and it's routinely the most played replays of the week on NFL, ESPN, etc.

Unless maybe you mean this? Titans LB Avery Williams takes offense at Newton dancing after a touchdown, and then referees actually hold Williams back to let Newton continue to dance while cameras circle around him.

Who is giving Johnny Manziel chances? He's about to be CUT by the team that spent a 1st round draft pick on him 18 months ago? He was benched for 3 games earlier this season for being photographed at a party. Will a team take a chance on him? Probably. The Cowboys will probably take a chance on him, the same team that took a chance on Greg Hardy -- the guy who almost killed his girlfriend last year and threw her on a stack of guns -- and made him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league. (I can't even believe I'm somehow defending Johnny Manziel... Usually I'm the opposite, defending Pettine & Cleveland for benching him / cutting him)

Cam Newton is the most celebrated player in the NFL right now, he's the 6th highest paid player in the league, and he's on as many advertisements, commercials, t-shirts, products, and everything that the league and any sponsors can put him on. In a single commercial break, Cam Newton is on an ad for Dannon Yogurt, Gatorade, NFL Play60, was the focused player in Madden '25 with that Super Bowl intro, and I'm sure plenty more.

Maybe I missed a memo... is the league not letting Cam Newton dance anymore? Far from it, Cam Newton is the most celebrated player in the NFL, and he absolutely deserves to be.3

I don't know what this means and googling it brings up your post?

danthefan

There are so many drive by baseless generalisations in this thread.

People don't like Floyd because he's been fucking convicted of domestic abuse. He is not a nice guy. And he's still probably one of the highest earning athletes in the world over the last number of years.

Froli

There are so many drive by baseless generalisations in this thread.

People don't like Floyd because he's been fucking convicted of domestic abuse. He is not a nice guy. And he's still probably one of the highest earning athletes in the world over the last number of years.

Agreed

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have no doubt that a sizable portion of Mayweather haters are racist. But they overlap with people who hate him because he is a total cunt.

Pretty much. Dude's got a point, but he is definitely the wrong guy to be making it. Especially with the racist bullshit he's spewed about Pac and the domestic abuse shit.

Floyd, people don't like you because you are a grade-A+++ asshole. You keep giving people reasons not to like you and then you're surprised that they don't?

I mean its not like UFC just started the push for Paige Van Zant and Sage Northcutt as their stars of the future and who fit an ultraspecific mold. Meanwhile, better fighters who don't fit the mold won't get the chances these two do

Xe4

Banned
As others have said, I'm 100% sure racism exists in the UFC and in boxing, ofte times, a huge ammount of racism exists in fighting sports.

But it's Maywether man, he's a wife beating, racist, smack talking, jerk of a person that I really don't care if people critisize him. Same as I don't care when people critisize Rousey, even though sexism is still present in UFC and boxing.

He's right that sports still have racism but he is also a racist piece of shit and he was convicted of domestic violence. He is the worst kind of person and I feel zero sympathy for the asshole at all.

Cerity

McGregor did reply to this over fb, can't find it as it was to Floyd's wall. But IIRC the gist was that while they may say the same shit McGregor actually puts on entertaining fights whereas Mayweather picks and chooses his fights and ultimately disappoints. He called out his last fight saying that he picked out a nobody too.

danthefan

McGregor did reply to this over fb, can't find it as it was to Floyd's wall. But IIRC the gist was that while they may say the same shit McGregor actually puts on entertaining fights whereas Mayweather picks and chooses his fights and ultimately disappoints. He called out his last fight saying that he picked out a nobody too.

No he did not. That was not McGregor.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

Floyd has fought the most world champions in history, is usually outweighed but 10+ pounds every fight and has the most brittle hands alive. I'm sorry but you don't continue to knock everyone out after you move up 5 weight classes, you just don't. When he was at 135 or 140,he was laying everybody out. At 147 or 154, he just can't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom