• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather: McGregor and Rousey are proof racism still exists in combat sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

On a slightly related note, I was surprised McGregor didn't catch heat for telling Aldo that if had been another time he would have "invaded his favela on horseback and killed anyone not fit to work". I mean holy shit.

smurfx

get some go again
On a slightly related note, I was surprised McGregor didn't catch heat for telling Aldo that if had been another time he would have "invaded his favela on horseback and killed anyone not fit to work". I mean holy shit.
he really said that? holy shit what a dick bag.

There are so many drive by baseless generalisations in this thread.

People don't like Floyd because he's been fucking convicted of domestic abuse. He is not a nice guy. And he's still probably one of the highest earning athletes in the world over the last number of years.

Please, more people like Tyson and that dude was convicted of rape. Difference is, he raped a black woman.

Floyd is a douche. But he is an earned champion.

Sonnen is a cocky, bullshit talking, white UFC fighter and is also a douche and people hate Sonnen for his cockiness.

McGregor is an asshole that talks shit and backs it up. He's entertaining as fuck to watch even if you don't like him.

IrishNinja

Mayweather remains a top 10 boxer, dead or alive - ya'll really should've made peace with this when he retired

McGregor did reply to this over fb, can't find it as it was to Floyd's wall. But IIRC the gist was that while they may say the same shit McGregor actually puts on entertaining fights whereas Mayweather picks and chooses his fights and ultimately disappoints. He called out his last fight saying that he picked out a nobody too.

money spent years moving up & fighting the best his era had to offer. it's not his fault there weren't any left towards the end (and i thought canelo did well, honeslty)

likewise, his fights are mainly disappointing if you wanted to see more boxers block power hits with their face - watching him outbox everyone around him was in fact quite entertaining

Horseshit!

Floyd was a dull fighter, had a reputation of avoiding fighters in their prime, and his last few fights still got a shitload more viewers than McGregor and Rousey will ever even come close to sniffing.

Slayven

Serious question, what world do you both live in?

Who is not letting Cam Newton dance? He dances after every touchdown, all of the cameras in the stadium focus on it, and it's routinely the most played replays of the week on NFL, ESPN, etc.

Unless maybe you mean this? Titans LB Avery Williams takes offense at Newton dancing after a touchdown, and then referees actually hold Williams back to let Newton continue to dance while cameras circle around him.

Who is giving Johnny Manziel chances? He's about to be CUT by the team that spent a 1st round draft pick on him 18 months ago? He was benched for 3 games earlier this season for being photographed at a party. Will a team take a chance on him? Probably. The Cowboys will probably take a chance on him, the same team that took a chance on Greg Hardy -- the guy who almost killed his girlfriend last year and threw her on a stack of guns -- and made him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league. (I can't even believe I'm somehow defending Johnny Manziel... Usually I'm the opposite, defending Pettine & Cleveland for benching him / cutting him)

Cam Newton is the most celebrated player in the NFL right now, he's the 6th highest paid player in the league, and he's on as many advertisements, commercials, t-shirts, products, and everything that the league and any sponsors can put him on. In a single commercial break, Cam Newton is on an ad for Dannon Yogurt, Gatorade, NFL Play60, was the focused player in Madden '25 with that Super Bowl intro, and I'm sure plenty more.

Maybe I missed a memo... is the league not letting Cam Newton dance anymore? Far from it, Cam Newton is the most celebrated player in the NFL, and he absolutely deserves to be.3

I don't know what this means and googling it brings up your post?
America where Richard Sherman was demonized for daring to be a proud black athletic.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Racism ended when Jackie Robinson hit the game winning grand slam in game 7 of the World Series.

Mayweather remains a top 10 boxer, dead or alive - ya'll really should've made peace with this when he retired

money spent years moving up & fighting the best his era had to offer. it's not his fault there weren't any left towards the end (and i thought canelo did well, honeslty)

likewise, his fights are mainly disappointing if you wanted to see more boxers block power hits with their face - watching him outbox everyone around him was in fact quite entertaining

Every Mayweather thread we have to go through this. Maybe in 20 years people will look back at his accomplishments and give credit for being one of the best.

However on topic Ward not being #1 is legitimate in my eyes because of his absence. I love Ward, I'm a huge fan and have him winning ina biut against GGG, however you can't continue to rank that high on P4P lists from fights in 2012.

studyguy

A lot of his fans don't believe Desiree Washington was raped by him either.

A lot of questions were raised when he was convicted and started going off on how he should have raped her after all since was convicted of it anyway. At this point you just have to accept the conviction though, Tyson's career was basically a whirlwind of awful people taking advantage of him for a good long time, the dude is the first to admit he made a looooong string of bad decisions and lives with them. The guy is literally a walking talking cautionary tale of the problems that come with athletes and stardom.

Muhammad Ali wasnt a nice guy either, he did more shameful shit than Floyd. Time has softened him and him refusing to serve in an unpopular war helped to hand wave away all the nasty things he did and said as a younger man.

A lot of questions were raised when he was convicted and started going off on how he should have raped her after all since was convicted of it anyway. At this point you just have to accept the conviction though, Tyson's career was basically a whirlwind of awful people taking advantage of him for a good long time, the dude is the first to admit he made a looooong string of bad decisions and lives with them. The guy is literally a walking talking cautionary tale of the problems that come with athletes and stardom.

If anybody should be in jail and not rolling in his piles of evil money it's Don King. That dude is the devil made flesh.

America where Richard Sherman was demonized for daring to be a proud black athletic.

Rubbish. He was acting like an unhinged baby, not like a proud athlete. And for everyone criticizing him there were tons articles and news stories showing that behind the scenes he's actually a likable and very cerebral player. Hardly what I would call being "demonized for being a proud black athlete."

Fennec

His points are valid. He may not be the smartest fighter, he may not be Ali, but let's be fair here, when a black athlete "trash talks", medias label him as a thug. When a white athlete trash talks, he is a bad ass, he is "entertaining".

Rubbish. He was acting like an unhinged baby, not like a proud athlete. And for everyone criticizing him there were tons articles and news stories showing that behind the scenes he's actually a likable and very cerebral player. Hardly what I would call being "demonized for being a proud black athlete."

You remember that very differently than I do.

He was constantly called a thug and a punk. Constantly. The only thing it was missing was someone calling him boy.

Mesousa

Banned

Very true he made a lot of terrible mistakes, but the doubt many people have about his conviction over desiree washington is a big part why a lot of people are looking past that and "liking" him now. I think dude even has a cartoon now.

Skilletor

He'd just won the biggest game of his life and before he'd even had a chance to come down from that high, a reporter was in his face with a mic. Hardly an unhinged baby. More like an ecstatic athlete that just had all of the hardwork he and his team had been through pay off.

But because he was black and the reporter was a woman and white, people went nuts about it.

He'd just won the biggest game of his life and before he'd even had a chance to come down from that high, a reporter was in his face with a mic. Hardly an unhinged baby. More like an ecstatic athlete that just had all of the hardwork he and his team had been through pay off.

But because he was black and the reporter was a woman and white, people went nuts about it.

Of course they portrayed the reporter to be "scared" people act like they're isn't a double standard with black and white athletes. It's funny how Gruden treated RG3 like trash and basically Sabotaged him in favor of Cousins, just imagine if RG3 would've said a word against the coach.

Skilletor

Of course they portrayed the reporter to be "scared" people act like they're isn't a double standard with black and white athletes.

I'm pretty sure the reporter herself said she knew what it was, that he was just super excited.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/erin-andrews-happy-richard-sherman-interview

“I walked in front of an interview that was going on because I knew we were coming on live,” she said. “He looked up, realized it was me and he gave me this giant bear hug because he was so excited … And he hugged me so hard I hit my chin on his pads. It was a raw, passionate, candid moment. That’s how pumped he was.”

Of course Andrews only had seconds to think, and handled the situation professionally. The Fox producers then cut off the interview because they were concerned the language might get out of hand.

“Athletes don’t do that. They’re usually composed,” she said. “They usually take a minute and that’s why we grab them right after games because we hope they lose their minds like that, we hope they show pure joy. We hope he does the same thing at the Super Bowl. We don’t want a watered-down version of him.”

Somebody plz protect the poor white woman from the big, scary, black athlete.

Of course they portrayed the reporter to be "scared" people act like they're isn't a double standard with black and white athletes. It's funny how Gruden treated RG3 like trash and basically Sabotaged him in favor of Cousins, just imagine if RG3 would've said a word against the coach.

I mean hell people have called out RGIII for his comments to the media about being unhappy more than people have called out money Manziel for boozing it up on gameday.

He was making it all about himself and throwing shit at a player on the losing team. He was not acting like someone that won a huge game but like someone that was pissed off. If Aaron Rogers did that he would also get a ton of shit for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PH35C7Fhq0

I mean hell people have called out RGIII for his comments to the media about being unhappy more than people have called out money Manziel for boozing it up on gameday.

Manziel is probably the least liked player in the NFL right now. Go to any article about him and it's negative and the reader feedback is mostly all negative.

Dude Abides

Banned
Very true he made a lot of terrible mistakes, but the doubt many people have about his conviction over desiree washington is a big part why a lot of people are looking past that and "liking" him now. I think dude even has a cartoon now.

This is completely backwards. The only reason people have doubt about his conviction is because they like him so they convince themselves it isn't true.

Oh come on now. I lost count of the amount of times I heard the words "Stanford Graduate" at that same time.

You know.. maybe it's just me... but I don't think "Stanford Graduate" holds the same prestige when it's being used in the same statement where someone is calling him a "Thug."

No doubt there is still racism in the world but hes waaaaaaaaay off with McGregor.

He is loved because he has the entire nation of Ireland at his back, fights an ultra aggressive style which results in major KO's, and just knocked out a champ who hadn't lost in 10 years in an unreal 13 seconds.

His points are valid. He may not be the smartest fighter, he may not be Ali, but let's be fair here, when a black athlete "trash talks", medias label him as a thug. When a white athlete trash talks, he is a bad ass, he is "entertaining".

Bullshit. Nobody has ever seriously labeled UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier a "thug," and he talks more trash than 99.9% of the fighters in the UFC. His mouth has done nothing but help his career, as he now enjoys a lucrative side-job as a commentator, because of his "entertaining" personality.

The big difference is Daniel Cormier doesn't have a long list of criminal charges relating to domestic violence and other assaults.

Mesousa

Banned
This is completely backwards. The only reason people have doubt about his conviction is because they like him so they convince themselbes it isn't true.

You can say its completely backwards, but its true, and you can see it in his resurgence in popularity and fan base. There is a vocal minority of people who don't think he raped desiree washington. Mayweather doesn't have a same group who believes he is innocent of his crimes.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's true, you see it in almost every sport. Black athletes aren't allowed to be confident, or they get called out for being "too cocky."

Puig will fit the bill. Although you see similar criticism to a young guy like Harper....the viciousness wasn't the same. Certainly not the reaction of people around the net everywhere you look. It's like a feed that some people are just craving and the media provides that when a suitable candidate comes up. Media gauges demands and keeps the feed supplied.

Dude Abides

Banned
You can say its completely backwards, but its true, and you can see it in his resurgence in popularity and fan base. There is a vocal minority of people who don't think he raped desiree washington. Mayweather doesn't have a same group who believes he is innocent of his crimes.

It isn't true. It's utterly ridiculous. Nobody was neutral on Mike Tyson and then decided to like him because he'd been wronged by a rape conviction.

I agree there's a vocal minority of morons who don't think he did it, but that's because they were already invested in liking him.

Mesousa

Banned
It isn't true. It's utterly ridiculous. Nobody was neutral on Mike Tyson and then decided to like him because he'd been wronged by a rape conviction.

I agree there's a vocal minority of morons who don't think he did it, but that's because they were already invested in liking him.

Who would have been neutral on him before that point though? Listening to my dad, and Uncles talk, and Mike Tyson was as universally loved as OJ before that case.

Its more of an already loved guy having vocal support of people not believing he committed a crime. Completely different from Mayweather, who has always played a villain role.

There's a big difference with boxing and MMA where the latter fans are more clued in as to what's an act and what isn't, McGregor is so obviously a character on camera, I don't feel like enough boxing fans get that impression of Floyd even though they're very similar.

Sane_Man

He definitely has a point, but not in his own case. People generally don't like arrogant athletes, no matter what race, unless they're arrogant in a charismatic showman kind of way. Which he is not. He's a piece of shit.

It's 100% true that black athletes in the US are judged differently to white athletes by a large number of people, but I think the majority of sports fans around the world just want to see the best and most exciting athletes. Mayweather only ticks one of those boxes.

Tekniqs

Ali is the most revered fighter ever and he talked way more trash than you ever will Floyd.

I wasn't alive back then but from what I've read, Ali was catching the same flack back then that Floyd gets today.

edit: read more of the first page. People already discussed it heh

Aljamain Sterling highlights the discrepancy in the UFC's treatment of white fighters and black fighters nicely when talking about Sage Northcutt's 40k salary after only 2 fights.

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmrush/aljamain-sterling-tells-luke-thomas-why-he-should-be-making-more-money-than-sage-northcutt

I like Sterling but he's just salty as fuck at how huge Sage is blowing up. Tons of fighters are bitching about it.

Anderson Silva, a black man, has one of the 3 biggest contracts in MMA.

In the fight game your contract is what you can sell. Sage puts assess in seats. Aljamain does not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom