• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather: McGregor and Rousey are proof racism still exists in combat sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Aljamain Sterling highlights the discrepancy in the UFC's treatment of white fighters and black fighters nicely when talking about Sage Northcutt's 40k salary after only 2 fights.

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmrush/aljamain-sterling-tells-luke-thomas-why-he-should-be-making-more-money-than-sage-northcutt
Sage Northcutt is getting that pay level because Sage Northcutt looks like he's straight out of a boy band and is absurdly marketable because of it.

You can get by on just your skills if you're top tier. Otherwise, you need to find a hook to make people want to see you again.

Who would have been neutral on him before that point though? Listening to my dad, and Uncles talk, and Mike Tyson was as universally loved as OJ before that case.

Its more of an already loved guy having vocal support of people not believing he committed a crime. Completely different from Mayweather, who has always played a villain role.

Mike Tyson was not universally loved.

Teddy Atlas told everyone within earshot of the incident that went down between his niece and Tyson:

in 1983, incensed at a sexual advance made by the then 16 year old Tyson toward Atlas' 11 year old relative, Atlas had threatened Tyson with a gun.

http://www.fightsaga.com/news/item/3327-Remorseful-Tyson-Apologizes-to-Atlas

BradC00

duh.

OT but i'll never forget the reactions when joel ward scored the series winner against boston a few years ago.

scumbags gonna scumbag.

arya's prayer

Neo Member
Bullshit. Nobody has ever seriously labeled UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier a "thug," and he talks more trash than 99.9% of the fighters in the UFC. His mouth has done nothing but help his career, as he now enjoys a lucrative side-job as a commentator, because of his "entertaining" personality.

The big difference is Daniel Cormier doesn't have a long list of criminal charges relating to domestic violence and other assaults.

Wait so people bring up Richard Sherman. A Stanford grad who was vilified and called a thug all over the place after winning the Superbowl and being pumped up in the interview that took place ~20 seconds after the game. And your response is that none of that matters because (insert random black person) wasn't called a thug? Wow

Based on this thread, maybe a few more people would've gotten the point if Rhonda rousey had made the comments

5FQTMY.gif

Lebron

Remember when Serena supported gang violence by doing the C-Walk and disrespecting the beloved game of Tennis and they talked about it for a week?

old

I always supported Floyd Money Mayweather's shit talking. I am a fan of talent first and foremost. Shit talking is a right earned by winners and the talented. Fuck the haters, they're just untalented losers.

But on the racism charge, yes it still exists.

Ronda and McGregor finish fights. They break arms and knock motherfuckers out.

Mayweather wins decisions. Big difference.
Mayweather did the same thing until he started moving up in weight. Fighting much bigger guys plus hand problems equals decisions. People kill me with that reasoning.

Raonak

Banned
While he's right that racism exists in sports, those (imo) aren't great examples.

McGregor talked a lot of shit, but the thing that made him loved was that he actually backed it up. I wasn't a fan of his until I saw that 13 second knockout.

Rousey was liked because she completely dominated her weight class. Winning pretty much every match in the first round until holly came around.

Sage Northcutt is getting that pay level because Sage Northcutt looks like he's straight out of a boy band and is absurdly marketable because of it.

You can get by on just your skills if you're top tier. Otherwise, you need to find a hook to make people want to see you again.

I like Sterling but he's just salty as fuck at how huge Sage is blowing up. Tons of fighters are bitching about it.

Anderson Silva, a black man, has one of the 3 biggest contracts in MMA.

In the fight game your contract is what you can sell. Sage puts assess in seats. Aljamain does not

It took a seven year win streak for Anderson to achieve that level of fame. Conor has a year of relevance under his belt and will rival Silva in UFC payouts soon if he hasn't already.

As for "finding a hook," what's Sage's hook? He's young, handsome and white. That's not a hook.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's true, you see it in almost every sport. Black athletes aren't allowed to be confident, or they get called out for being "too cocky."
True on all levels.

That said, Mayweather is a craven, race baiting piece of crap. So I don't care to hear anything from him, no matter how on point it may be. Broken clocks, et al.
Rubbish. He was acting like an unhinged baby, not like a proud athlete.
Orly

You were obviously watching a different video than the rest of us.

It took a seven year win streak for Anderson to achieve that level of fame. Conor has a year of relevance under his belt and will rival Silva in UFC payouts soon if he hasn't already.

As for "finding a hook," what's Sage's hook? He's young, handsome and white. That's not a hook.

Silva hit that height before the 7 year win streak. At the height of his career in popularity, acclaim, and pay... Superfight coversations were happening regarding either Silva and GSP (who had a similar but slightly higher popularity/draw and similar win streak) or Silva and Jon Jones.. who had just as much notoriety and acclaim (though not popularity) with a fraction of the time as a professional as either of the other two fighters.

Now I'm not saying Sage isn't getting an undeserved push (Paige actually had a good record and the skills to back up her push) but it's disingenious to act like Silva took his entire career to start to draw and get big paychecks.

It's also worth noting that Conor makes most of his money on PPV points, which just means that he was more savy about negotiating and understanding his value both in terms of Draw and the fact that he's been the sole gateway for the UFC to gain more popularity in Ireland (not unlike Besping getting his big push when the UFC wanted to open up the UK years before).

Jesus Christ I have never heard of that :0

Tyson is a monster.

Alright look. To put that incident in a little context, at that time, Tyson was just beginning to live with his trainer, Cus D'Amato. Before he lived with Cus, he grew up literally in a whorehouse that his mother ran. He had a pretty warped view of life and reality and how to relate to women and has for basically his entire life.

I'm not excusing it, what he did was clearly and obviously wrong, but there is something inherently tragic about the guys life where he was just used and thrown away once he was no good anymore by everybody he ever knew.

Love Floyd as a fighter but him making racist statements about Pacquiao DQS him from this discussion, regardless of how valid his point is.

Mayweather gets ripped not because he talks shit, which a lot of great boxers do, but because he talks shit, beats women, and has a style of boxing that most people don't like but it scores well with judges.

JJ Watt was made fun of endlessly by every radio, podcast, and forum poster because he's a goober and his act is so rehearsed it's embarrassing.

Both are going to win their respective MVP titles.
Tysons reputation in the 90s was even worse than Floyd's now, and he was charged with rape. Bit a fighters ear off. Was into Nation of Islam.
He was an even bigger heel than Floyd in his prime, but public perception of him has softened up significantly.

Banglish

While he's right that racism exists in sports, those (imo) aren't great examples.

McGregor talked a lot of shit, but the thing that made him loved was that he actually backed it up. I wasn't a fan of his until I saw that 13 second knockout.

Rousey was liked because she completely dominated her weight class. Winning pretty much every match in the first round until holly came around.

McGregor has also been pretty gracious upon his wins. He'll usually say something nice about his opponent after victory. Even after his Aldo win he said he was a great Champion.

Striker

JJ watt was dancing the other day and no one said a word or wrote a letter but when Cam does it everyone loses their minds!
Odell Beckham Jr. dances all the time and you have the same argument. The NFL overhypes both OBJ and Watt, Watt moreso in the TV and commercial side. Venture into the NFL thread, tons of posters will agree Watt is a media attention whore. The Newton showboating riled up Tennessee Titans players, most of whom are black, so where's the line sit? There are several black QB's in the NFL and none of them get scoffed at like Cam does. It's not hard to identify. Overly egocentric people are hard to like. Those who constantly showboat in any way. Cam is one of them. He's just having fun, we know that, but there's a line where it gets overplayed. You don't see fans doing the same treatment to Teddy Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Jameis Winston, etc.

Chesskid1

Banned
Conor issued a response on his facebook

4. Floyd Mayweather, don't ever bring race into my success again. I am an Irishman. My people have been oppressed our entire existence. And still very much are. I understand the feeling of prejudice. It is a feeling that is deep in my blood.

In my family's long history of warfare there was a time where just having the name 'McGregor' was punishable by death.

Do not ever put me in a bracket like this again.

If you want we can organise a fight no problem.

I will give you a fair 80/20 split purse in my favour seen as your last fight bombed at every area of revenue.

At 27 years of age I now hold the key to this game.

The game answers to me now.

https://www.facebook.com/thenotorio...1828.494191297315841/1191890754212555/?type=3

Madness

He kind of has a point. Look at Richard Sherman who didn't swear, he is a stand up guy, he shouted loudly at the end of a football interview and all of a sudden he's a cocky thug.

Mayweather is a woman beating piece of shit, fuck him and thinking he doesn't deserve the criticism. He's a giant asshole. But if you look, confident black athletes risk becoming a thug, they become scary and dangerous. Not always the case though. I mean I fucking loathe Ronda Rousey, I was jumping for joy when she got headkicked and beaten. Holly Holm had far more class. I would've drawn comparisons to Jon Jones, who's actually soft spoken and polite and dominant yet hated, but his recent coke binges and hit and run on a pregnant woman really turned people against him. Anderson Silva was super arrogant for a long time, and it was fine until he started showboating in fights in the octagon and then it changed.

Conor McGregor will eventually fall victim to the same thing. People don't like arrogance for long. Anderson Silva, even GSP started to get hate.

As for Ali, read up on how much Joe Frazier hated him for the stuff he said. Joe personally went to the President to allow him to fight Ali who was banned after Ali begged him to get him back. And then Ali went and started calling Frazier an uncle Tom, a gorilla, really hitting Joe Frazier's character. After their thrilla in manilla fight, Ali apologized to Joe's son for all he said, but it was already out there.

I mean Mike Tyson was arrogant as shit and people loved him. Maybe that's just the way it is, you have to be one of the soft spoken 'good ones'.

I will never understand the shit flung towards Richard Sherman. The guy played a great game and was clearly gleeful and excited about it, and outside the job is a super cool person from everything I'd read or watched about him. Completely shameful.

What Mayweather said is true, but he is such a seemingly contemptible person that any message coming from him is poisoned and may as well have not been said at all.

He's not wrong about Ronda. If she weren't an attractive white women public perception of her would have been vastly different.

The Beard

I will never understand the shit flung towards Richard Sherman. The guy played a great game and was clearly gleeful and excited about it, and outside the job is a super cool person from everything I'd read or watched about him. Completely shameful.

What Mayweather said is true, but he is such a seemingly contemptible person that any message coming from him is poisoned and may as well have not been said at all.

I don't like when athletes are poor winners. Dude was a poor winner. Talk shit before the game = no problem at all. Talk shit about your opponent that you just knocked out of the playoffs = asshole.

He just came across as an annoying, poor-sport, asshole to me when I watched that interview live.

Tekniqs

Would have been cool to see a McGregor-Mayweather fight somehow, just for the mind games.

not really. It would have a predictable outcome.

boxing rules McGregor gets his ass kicked
MMA rules, Floyd gets his ass kicked

McGregor has also been pretty gracious upon his wins. He'll usually say something nice about his opponent after victory. Even after his Aldo win he said he was a great Champion.

sounds like Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom