• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

LordKano

I'm pretty sure they are gonna plaster anime boob-sword girl on the boxart before they do this dude. ;)

The box art is actually pretty good
jnbtb8upbg3z.jpg

Mario Odyssey release too early in the holiday season to make me think that there isn't another game planned for November.
May sound insane, but imo it is the Zelda dlc. If the story dlc is a big update, it could serve asa big holiday title, but only if its bjg enough.

Granted, I still don't know why SMO wouldn't be the big game regardless, but I don't see Nintendo announcing a suprise big game for their Friday before black friday slot. Its odd all around about SMO early release.

Anywayz: Happy for Splatoon 2 sales! it deserves all the sales it can get!

May sound insane, but imo it is the Zelda dlc. If the story dlc is a big update, it could serve asa big holiday title, but only if its bjg enough.

Granted, I still don't know why SMO wouldn't be the big game regardless, but I don't see Nintendo announcing a suprise big game for their Friday before black friday slot. Its odd all around about SMO early release.

Anywayz: Happy for Splatoon 2 sales! it deserves all the sales it can get!
I'm thinking Skyrim takes the spot.
Any hints towards hardware numbers????

Eolz

The only game that can sell 2 million is SMT 5 on the Nintendo Switch. If Persona 5 can do 1.8 million, SMT 5 should have no trouble clearing 2 million and above on Switch, in the West.

Ahahahaha

If SMTIVA is any indication, SMT is going deeper through the anime/waifu route, probably in hope of selling better.

Hopefully not. Even if it had its dark moments, it was a bit too close to dark Persona (modern) for comfort...
Wasn't the team a bit different anyway?

edit: wow, forgot to refresh, late quotes...

Eolz

I think Skyrim will be pushed really hard by Nintendo in the West and positioned as a big holiday title.

In Japan though?

Both Skyrim and Fallout did decently (300k+ combined for the former, 270k for F4), I can see them pushing it a bit in Japan as well tbh (dat portable aspect).

I don't see Xenoblade 2 lighting up charts at all. At most it'll probably break a million worldwide but nothing really beyond that. At most, it'll probably break 150-200K in Japan.

It's likely to be a quality title but it's not going to be immensely successful financially or anything.

If SMTIVA is any indication, SMT is going deeper through the anime/waifu route, probably in hope of selling better.

We'd have to see the game first. I'm optimistic since they copied Nocturne's main menu for the reveal.

I don't see Xenoblade 2 lighting up charts at all. At most it'll probably break a million worldwide but nothing really beyond that. At most, it'll probably break 150-200K in Japan.

It's likely to be a quality title but it's not going to be immensely successful financially or anything.
well, that's pretty good right? A million copies sold?

I don't think the first two Xenoblade games did that

Alrus

I mean people talk about NiOh breaking a million as some sort of incredible success so I'm sure XB 2 doing the same would make people pretty happy.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think Skyrim will be pushed really hard by Nintendo in the West and positioned as a big holiday title.

In Japan though?

Yeah.

You see, in the past few weeks I've mentioned how I see the current and upcoming Switch lineup as mostly a carefully-planned-slate of releases, with some curation of sorts in the releases' planning.

That's why we're going to have several multiplayer-focused titles hitting during Spring / Summer, more single-player focused experiences coming at the end of the year (Mario/Xenoblade 2), at least one important / relevant release per month AND specific first-party gaps to help specific titles to shine even more. For example: Nintendo didn't release any first party title in May, and that's when both Minecraft and USFII were released. In a similar way, August has no first party game, but there's something filling the gap.

What's interesting about August is that there are two different titles, specific for the different markets: MHXX for Japan and Mario + Rabbids for the West.

Another thing that I noticed is that September is the first month where Switch has several releases of different kinds for the first time since launch (DBXV2, DQX, Pokken, FE:Warriors). Moreover, it's the first month with both a major first party release (Pokken) and a major third party release (FE:Warriors). This tells me that Nintendo's planning includes an important improvement of the releases' pace, with more crowded months.

So, my conclusions are that

- I believe October and November will see several releases as well with a similar pace to September
- Skyrim is the Nintendo-curated third party release for the West, so there must be something of a similar caliber somehow hitting Japan as well. Could it be DQXI? Or maybe the unannounced Tales of? Speaking of Bandai Namco, I'd be very surprised if Taiko Switch hits this Holiday at this point: mostly, because the PS4 one is coming out on October 26th, it doesn't leave enough time for the announcement+promotion+everything else. That's why I believe Tales of could hit the system this Holiday already.

Hopefully we'll have a clearer look at Holidays' lineup soon enough, there are still several gaps to fill.

And where the hell is the next Mario & Sonic

KtSlime

I thought we were talking about the lacking lineup for the holiday in Japan though. Mario in October and XB2 in mid December ain't going to cover it. If I were to guess, I think SE could put DQXI there in late November. Don't they usually like to have an early winter game release? I don't think they have anything announced for around then and it is late enough to not interfere with the game on PS4 and 3DS, DQX in September and Lost Speare in October.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I thought we were talking about the lacking lineup for the holiday in Japan though. Mario in October and XB2 in mid December ain't going to cover it. If I were to guess, I think SE could put DQXI there in late November. Don't they usually like to have an early winter game release? I don't think they have anything announced for around them and it is late enough to not interfere with the game on PS4 and 3DS, DQX in September and Lost Speare in October.

I think in theory that makes sense- but given recent comments I didn't get the impression that the Switch version was very far along at all.

Reki

A million is doable considering the momentum of the console and the holiday release, key to its sales.

But if they need an extra six months for polishing I would gladly wait. I feel like Kimishima's strategy of a good cadence of software may affect the scope of titles like XC2.

And the character designs could be a way of attracting a younger demographic, even though the main audience of the franchise is a bit older.

Surprised 3DS is that much higher than PS4 at Comg considering the preorder situation.

breaking news : a game for a 20mln userbase is selling more than the 5mln one :eek:

anyway, if proportions are respected compared to Splatoon 2 numbers, DQ11 opening should be around 2mln, less than the previous entries.
maybe similar to DQ7 opening (1,8mln)

KtSlime

I think in theory that makes sense- but given recent comments I didn't get the impression that the Switch version was very far along at all.

Not sure how much work it will be, but I imagine they can dedicate all resources to it starting after Obon. A separate team is doing X which relies on different technology, and they are not doing any sort of DLC, so basically they have all this time while having the game fresh in their minds.

Anyway, seems like Nintendo purposely left a big gap there, it looks like the biggest gap in software releases since March or April on the Switch.

ggx2ac

I'm now expecting DQXI to release on Switch in December with limited edition DQ-themed hardware.

Edit: It just seems like a great opportunity to take advantage of sales. Releasing any later next year wouldn't be as great.

KtSlime

I'm now expecting DQXI to release on Switch in December with limited edition DQ-themed hardware.

There is a lot of DQ themed hardware lately, I had been buying it all, but they have had 6 machines in 5 years, so I think it is likely. I would buy it, especially if it is just joycons.

ggx2ac

Went to check how much space DQXI takes up.

According to sites that reported the sizes when the pre-load was available:

PS4 version is around 30GB
3DS version is around 2.5GB

And the 3DS version is smaller than Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS by around 1GB but bigger than Dragon Quest VII on 3DS by around 1GB.

duckroll

Is "DQXI Switch in Nov/Dec" the new "DQXI Switch will make a surprise appearance at the release date announcement conference"? Dunno why people keep setting themselves up for disappointment with baseless speculation that is against all official announcements.

EDarkness

Is "DQXI Switch in Nov/Dec" the new "DQXI Switch will make a surprise appearance at the release date announcement conference"? Dunno why people keep setting themselves up for disappointment with baseless speculation that is against all official announcements.

When could they announce the NS version?

MoonFrog

Given that they said they plan on no DLC for DQXI, which, while it doesn't mean there necessarily won't be any, I'll take to mean that there probably won't be any, I am curious how DQXI Switch will stand out when it does come.

They've been so attentive to making the 3DS version stand out so I take this sort of concern to be on their minds. Obviously, Switch version will be a late port and not as important to Japan and for that reason have less "special" attention paid to it, but still I wonder if what is really coming is DQXI UE4 version portable and that's all there's to be said.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

01./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./01. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./02. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
05./03. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
07./04. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
08./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./09. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
10./10. [NSW] ARMS <FTG> (Nintendo)
11./00. [PSV] Kenka Bancho Otome: Kanzenmuketsu no My Honey <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
12./00. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
13./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
14./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
15./12. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
16./17. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
17./13. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
18./15. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
19./19. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
20./20. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

01./03. [3DS] The Snack World <RPG> (Level 5)
02./05. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ry&#363;nosuke Naruhod&#333; <ADV> (Capcom)
03./07. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
04./09. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
05./06. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport (Limited Edition) <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
06./13. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
07./10. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus)
08./12. [PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season <ACT> (Square Enix)
09./19. [PS4] NBA 2K18 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive)
10./11. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Switch isn't some untapped market which somehow has a different user base than PS4/3DS.

Releasing DQ not even 6months later wouldn't even make that much sense businesswise.

Switch isn't some untapped market which somehow has a different user base than PS4/3DS.

Releasing DQ not even 6months later wouldn't even make that much sense businesswise.

Okay.

I want to see Capcom release a USF2 on PS4 or 3DS and see if it sells 450k (so far). Or Konami doing the same for Bomberman. Any big Japanese titles released in the last year outside Switch would get a fresh boost re-released on the NS.

It's also sort of tough since I have no idea how Xenoblade and XCX did overseas. I guess less than a million or it would've been in an earnings report. So I'm sort of struggling to figure out what Nintendo even wants from greenlighting the title except to plug a software hole in December.

But even if it does do better than XCX in Japan (sure, not hard, I bet this happens), does it cross a million world wide? Probably not.

EDIT: lol at Hey Pikmin hanging in there. Sure!

Fisico

I agree. Xb2 has a stupid main character. It doesnt even make sense for a kid that age to fight huge titans and kill all kinda of beasts. I dont mind myself, as I really liked the first one but if they want to expand they went with the wrong artstyle.

I wonder, you would be surprised at what this little fellow below has been doing for nearly two decades.
And it's one of the most popular shonen out there (not Naruto/One Piece level of success but still)

Somehow looking at Rex always made me think they were somehow trying to target the Shonen Jump audience and Gon was used as some kind of model in term of character design (I could be wrong though), not like I think they will expand their audience that way (because the blades urrrg)

Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 6)
00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo < 100k (average 90k)

sinobi expects 120-150k LTD for Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2

02./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken # <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.07.09} (¥6.264) - 135.690 / NEW
037./000. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken # <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.07.09} (¥5.800) - 198.250 / NEW (135.690 <74,25%>)

With the lower budget they're probably fine, but how low can it get until Capcom stops bothering :( ?

EDarkness

When they are ready to? I don't think they are in that much of a hurry.

You're right, but honestly I don't see the point of even announcing the game for the NS in the first place. Maybe it'll be released a couple of years from now as some kind of special edition version. Seriously, what kind of sales potential does that version have at this point?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think the difference IMO is that Xenoblade X would be more likely to capture the attention of a non-JRPG fan. At a glance it has a lot more in common with stuff like Destiny, Mass Effect and now Anthem than it does Tales of or Dragon Quest,

While I agree, I've also met many who disagree. Especially due to Lyn's character design and archetype being a lead as well.

Problem with Xenoblade 2 isn't just the character designs, it also doesn't look anywhere near as ambitious as its predecessors.

Xenoblade 1 wowed people with these wonderful vistas and a kind of open and huge world that we've rarely - if ever - seen in an JRPG before. Xenoblade X went even crazier and introduced things like a full open world and giant mechs.

Xenoblade 2 in comparison doesn't seem very exciting. It's missing the additions of X and goes straight back to Xenoblade's style. But this kind of game isn't as unique anymore as it was in 2010 -- and so far Xenoblade 2 isn't really showing any ambitious ideas of its own. It just seems to be more of the same.

Yeah going back to an idea people liked better doesn't always work out for the best. And honestly I don't think they've done a great job showing XB2 either, it has a lot of low quality textures and pop-in even in the trailers when XBX didn't look quite this rough from its second trailer onward.

The odd thing about character designs in Monolith Soft games is that the designs (illustrations by the character designers) themselves are serviceable actually, but the translation into 3D models is like the worst in the industry. They should just outsource that to FlightUnit.

It's not really the case this time though, Rex and Homura would be just as bad even if they were modeled better. I actually don't think the transition was that bad this time either, the added shading really helps with these designs. Nomura's designs pretty much look like models you'd expect from Kingdom Hearts.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

We'd have to see the game first. I'm optimistic since they copied Nocturne's main menu for the reveal.
Uh xenoblade breaking a million will be amazing, I would personally be very happy for takahashi

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Coming out this holiday could give XBC2 a big boost. Even Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii came out too late to make a big splash on that system.

Top Bottom