• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

KtSlime

lol the data/info on this is all over the place.

All I know is I have seen the PlayStation commercial with Yamada Takayuki throwing a tantrum in the store a thousand times on YouTube, between videos, at the top of the landing page, in banner ads over my videos, etc. Sony is pushing it hard.

Vena

All I know is I have seen the PlayStation commercial with Yamada Takayuki throwing a tantrum in the store a thousand times on YouTube, between videos, at the top of the landing page, in banner ads over my videos, etc. Sony is pushing it hard.

Of course, they don't exactly get a big software like this very frequently and they don't have many potential hardware movers left.

horuhe

On Rakuten the same, PS4 version above 3DS version. Only on the release day (Saturday, 29th) the 3DS was higher. Moreover, since Rakuten counts the entire week (even the days where the game was available for pre-order), the PS4 version got the advantage of previous days where reservations were higher for that version.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 30 2017

01./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)

03./01. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./02. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
05./03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./04. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
07./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
08./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
09./05. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
10./00. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
11./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
12./10. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./00. [PSV] Kenka Bancho Otome: Kanzenmuketsu no My Honey <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft)
14./08. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./07. [3DS] Ever Oasis <RPG> (Nintendo)
16./16. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./13. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
17./14. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
17./00. [PS4] Dirt 4 <RCE> (Ubi Soft)
20./15. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Sony Interactive)

I think all the preliminary data shows the FW will be close between both versions. Not sure which one will come out on top though, but I'm more interested in combined sales.

Mory Dunz

only 1 week on top?

Splatoon confirmed B tier, not S tier.

edit:
on a real note. Tsutaya has Hey! Pikmin above MK8D.
Assuming MK8D gets a bump, that would be an decent hold if it actually turns out that way.

Its already surprising for the PS4 version to be even competing with the 3DS version. Wasn't 2:1 first weeks what most people expected before recent reports and COMG.

noshten

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 444K
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 333K
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 48K
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 77K
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 222K

Its already surprising for the PS4 version to be even competing with the 3DS version. Wasn't 2:1 first weeks what most people expected before recent reports and COMG.

Not really, start of the year predictions though were 3:1 some even 4:1 - people definitely changed their minds over the last six months

allan-bh

When the game was announced for both I did believe something like 2:1 or more would happen. We don't have the numbers yet but it seems that launch will be kinda disappointing and that's because of 3DS version underperforming.

Rixa

When the game was announced for both I did believe something like 2:1 or more would happen. We don't have the numbers yet but it seems that launch will be kinda disappointing and that's because of 3DS version underperforming.

I wonder how many posts we shall get in next MC thread about DQXI should been another device instead of this device.

SE won. Their biggest releases seem be hits: FFXV, DQ11, (KH3 seems pretty comfy right now).

Even looking at the individual PS4 SKU you will see a big difference between now and then.

If YSO are right then the opening is 2 million+ which doesn't seem like an underperformance.

My guess is the PS4 will get above 3DS in a couple of weeks, but will have shorter legs than the 3DS. The 3DS has a greater share of younger players, so I think the 3DS sales will be less concentrated than PS4, but the 3DS version will get longer legs instead, because children/families will get the game when the time is right for them (birthdays, holidays, etc) and I'm pretty sure that group is smaller on PS4.

MTC100

Banned
Wait, people don't expect DQ on 3DS to outperform Splatoon 2 numbers?

Heck... If anyone would have said five years ago, that some Nintendo produced Multipler where you shoot ink around terrain would turn out to have higher sales numbers in its launch week than a dragonquest on the 3DS you would have called them a madman.

LordKano

Heck... If anyone would have said five years ago, that some Nintendo produced Multipler where you shoot ink around terrain would turn out to have higher sales numbers in its launch week than a dragonquest on the 3DS you would have called them a madman.

At launch ? It will largely outperform Splatoon 2. LTD tho, Splatoon 2 will crush either version.

DKHF

I don't think anyone is expecting it to have lower first week sales than Splatoon 2. Just it now seems possible the 3DS version will open (still above Splatoon 2's first week sales) on par with or slightly below the PS4 version when most didn't expect that before. But as said above, Splatoon 2 will top it in lifetime sales.

Be interesting to know what kind of impact the bundles have on sales, it'd certainly be a cheaper and likely more practical investment for a 3ds owner to pick up the new 2ds than a ps4 owner to buy an extra ps4

Fiendcode

SE won. Their biggest releases seem be hits: FFXV, DQ11, (KH3 seems pretty comfy right now).
Their medium and smaller releases have been doing pretty well too (Nier Auto, DQ spinoffs, SD Collection, KH remasters, etc). I expect that to continue with things like Dissidia NT and Octopath Traveler.

Mario007

Even looking at the individual PS4 SKU you will see a big difference between now and then.

If YSO are right then the opening is 2 million+ which doesn't seem like an underperformance.
SE japan have seemed to have steadied the ship aftrr the misfires of last gen and the "lets throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach from beginning of this gen. You could argue that FFXV did badly in Japan but overal it is doing very well. DQ we'll have to see, but signs point to it being a success, KH has a lot of hype behind it again and they even found a new ~2 million franchise in Nier. Now they need to sort tbeir development issues though, as they can't afford FFXVI to take fice years again, not to speak of the FFVII production troubles.

the problem is high PS4 numbers would mean low 3DS numbers.
I'm skeptical about PS4 version selling 1mln on first week, considering the small userbase and DQ not being an exclusive
On the other side 1mln or below for 3DS would be an underperforming result, considering the userbase and DQ being on Nintendo systems since DQ9
I consider an opening like DQ7 (1,8mln) the minimum, everything above 2mln would be a result as the previous entries (DQ8 and DQ9)

the problem is high PS4 numbers would mean low 3DS numbers.
I'm skeptical about PS4 version selling 1mln on first week, considering the small userbase and DQ not being an exclusive
On the other side 1mln or below for 3DS would be an underperforming result, considering the userbase and DQ being on Nintendo systems since DQ9
I consider an opening like DQ7 (1,8mln) the minimum, everything above 2mln would be a result as the previous entries (DQ8 and DQ9)

I'd see 1.8 as the absolute max, i'm thinking more like 1.5/1.6

Alrus

An opening under 1,8m would be kinda disappointing yeah. It would mean the simultaneous release didn't really do anything for sales.

I wonder if they wouldn't have been better releasing the 3DS version first then the PS4 version later to maximize double dippers. That worked for smaller scale games before. (I know that the PS4 version started first so it probably wouldn't have been possible, I'm just speculating).

Edit:Then again, market changes, the fact that there's a popular DQ game on smartphone that may satisfy the usual DQ audience enough, maybe a high but not as high as hope opening isn't that bad.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SE japan have seemed to have steadied the ship aftrr the misfires of last gen and the "lets throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach from beginning of this gen. You could argue that FFXV did badly in Japan but overal it is doing very well. DQ we'll have to see, but signs point to it being a success, KH has a lot of hype behind it again and they even found a new ~2 million franchise in Nier. Now they need to sort tbeir development issues though, as they can't afford FFXVI to take fice years again, not to speak of the FFVII production troubles.

The way DQ was being handled never the issue to begin with though - for all the SE fuckery DQ is the one constant you could always rely on. Its the same with DQXI the game looks and plays amazing from what ive seen.
It's not that I expect the game to tank. I just think it will have a notably harder time growing than it might have otherwise under the relatively favorable conditions the Switch provides.

Similarly I think there might be some fatigue among the existing audience given this game doesn't look astonishingly different, so cycling in new people would have helped on that front.

I think we can agree on that - this isnt a Morrorwind --> Oblivion to Skyrim situation.
In some ways the game feels lackluster because its been over a 7 years since the first game...and this game might not represent that big of a jump.

Im still waiting for more footage of a near final build....but as of right now it doesnt feel like Monolith put everything they have behind this one. It lacks the ambitions of the first two games.

At some point during the reveal i was wondering if this was planned as a 3DS title at some point early on before they got the Switch memo...lol.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 version being close to 3DS verion will be great already... I expected the 3DS version to sell a bit better.

Now if PS4 manage to sell more...

I expect over 2 million for both combined.

Top Bottom