• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ah, I see people are warming up for the great Dragon Quest platform sales breakdown pissing contest!

Shahed

ah, I see people are warming up for the great Dragon Quest platform sales breakdown pissing contest!
That's been happening since the day it was announced for both platforms and made appearances in several threads since. It's just coming to a head now

I'd see 1.8 as the absolute max, i'm thinking more like 1.5/1.6

yes, this is also my feeling from the earlier report we are getting
My prediction was around 1,2 for 3DS and around 750k for PS4, so a grand total nearly to 2mln

but more important is how the game will sell in the following weeks: DQ7 opened "lower" but sold more than 3mln in the end; if DQ opens at 1,6mln maybe can take advantage of Obon week (is this one or the next one?) and passing 3mln (2,2 3DS and 1,1 PS4), which would be a good result.
The market changed a lot since DQ8 and DQ9, no way DQ can pass the 4mln milestone again, around 3mln would be on par with previous result despite a shrinked market.

yes, this is also my feeling from the earlier report we are getting
My prediction was around 1,2 for 3DS and around 750k for PS4, so a grand total nearly to 2mln

but more important is how the game will sell in the following weeks: DQ7 opened "lower" but sold more than 3mln in the end; if DQ opens at 1,6mln maybe can take advantage of Obon week (is this one or the next one?) and passing 3mln (2,2 3DS and 1,1 PS4), which would be a good result.
The market changed a lot since DQ8 and DQ9, no way DQ can pass the 4mln milestone again, around 3mln would be on par with previous result despite a shrinked market.

Obon is next week, I'd imagine the typical 2nd week jrpg plummet, but then a fairly stable 3rd week

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2017

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 580k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 450k
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 100k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 100k
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 90k

LordKano

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 490k
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 420k
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 130k
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 115k
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 120k

I thought it would be nice to see how previous Dragon Quest games (main games and spin-offs) did on both systems, so here's an overview in chronological order per platform. Unfortunately for the comparison, the Dragon Quest games on PS4 are all multiplatform and are only spin-offs.

Nintendo 3DS
Code:
15./14. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.05.31} (¥5.490) - 6.164 / 874.431 (-37%)

10./09. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090) - 14.813 / 1.174.077 (-38%)

18./22. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru to Ruka no Fushigi na Fushigi na Kagi # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.02.06} (¥5.490) - 6.881 / 768.483 (-36%)

17./17. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.08.27} (¥6.458) - 4.208 / 801.043 (-21%)

20./23. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.03.24} (¥5.250) - 2.594 / 607.574 (+21%)

18./17. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.02.09} (¥5.250) - 4.353 / 182.957 (-24%)

PlayStation 4
Code:
12./06. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.02.26} (¥7.344) - 16.446 / 442.854 (-51%)
17./09. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.02.26} (¥8.424) - 7.915 / 327.389 (-46%)

18./19. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 4.732 / 281.265 (-25%)
13./04. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 7.757 / 198.344 (-53%)
17./05. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥6.800) - 7.107 / 92.645 (-46%)

18./15. [PSV] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥6.800) - 3.198 / 215.631 (-28%)
13./06. [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥7.800) - 5.156 / 259.001 (-41%)
16./08. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and Prophecy's End <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.05.27} (¥6.800) - 4.150 / 113.461 (-33%)

Alrus

Famitsu has DQ VIII 3DS at 905k, guess I was wrong about it being close to a million (or that number included digital estimates that are most likely wrong).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 456.789
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age [2nd month] (28 days) - 321.098
[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (25 days) - 78.901
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 98.765
[NSW] Monster Hunter XX: Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver. (3 days) - 123.456

Quick Question:

Is there some reason in particular why we keep inventing reasons for why certain games didnt sell well or hit their supposed potential even thought they do pretty well for what they are?

All the shitting y'all are doing on Xenoblade is wholly unnecessary, the games turn a decent profit lol.

Nintendo doesnt need to announce any more games for the rest of the year, we have enough coming out to get them all the profits they need this term

Quick Question:

Is there some reason in particular why we keep inventing reasons for why certain games didnt sell well or hit their supposed potential even thought they do pretty well for what they are?

All the shitting y'all are doing on Xenoblade is wholly unnecessary, the games turn a decent profit lol.

Nintendo doesnt need to announce any more games for the rest of the year, we have enough coming out to get them all the profits they need this term

Discussing games ability to do well in the market is a big part of sales so like yes speculation needs to happen. And for the type of games Xenoblade are they may be able to find more success if the character art wasn't so bad. That stuff matters in international markets.

Discussing games ability to do well in the market is a big part of sales so like yes speculation needs to happen. And for the type of games Xenoblade are they may be able to find more success if the character art wasn't so bad. That stuff matters in international markets.

Duckroll and Nirolak just said all 3 games were ugly and thats why they're not selling well..

Which I personally feel is a drastic oversimplification and narrow view of the market when it comes to how video games do. I mean alot of people get surprised at how some games do due to whatever preconceptions they have haha.

Not to be curt,but the punditry going on in here reminds me of how some of my fellow business folk jump to all the wrong conclusions and put out products that fail to understand the people they are serving lol.

The way DQ was being handled never the issue to begin with though - for all the SE fuckery DQ is the one constant you could always rely on. Its the same with DQXI the game looks and plays amazing from what ive seen.

I think we can agree on that - this isnt a Morrorwind --> Oblivion to Skyrim situation.
In some ways the game feels lackluster because its been over a 7 years since the first game...and this game might not represent that big of a jump.

Im still waiting for more footage of a near final build....but as of right now it doesnt feel like Monolith put everything they have behind this one. It lacks the ambitions of the first two games.

At some point during the reveal i was wondering if this was planned as a 3DS title at some point early on before they got the Switch memo...lol.

DQ was almost PS4 exclusive..... so yeah that seems like a dumb idea dont you think? Luckily the people at Enix arent as dumb as Capcom or square proper. ( Why no Twewy2 thoooo)

Uh xenoblade breaking a million will be amazing, I would personally be very happy for takahashi

Didnt the first game get close to a million worldwide?

XC2 isnt more sexualized than any of the pass games were either. Rex is also older than Shulk was. Sure he may look like a tales protagonist but how else are we gonna get our deep sea sky diver out into the world? Lol..

The gameplay they've shown so far looks good, I think people here tend to have an overly pessimistic view of things that if you take a look beyond the surface level are completely unfounded. The media-create section tends to be a little bit better than the rest of the forum when it comes to this stuff but the same problems happen here too.

Actually that kinda makes me want to go back and read the pre-splatoon Wii U sales age threads, it's been a while since I've seen those hahaha.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Duckroll and Nirolak just said all 3 games were ugly and thats why they're not selling well..

Which I personally feel is a drastic oversimplification and narrow view of the market when it comes to how video games do. I mean alot of people get surprised at how some games do due to whatever preconceptions they have haha.

Not to be curt,but the punditry going on in here reminds me of how some of my fellow business folk jump to all the wrong conclusions and put out products that fail to understand the people they are serving lol.

DQ was almost PS4 exclusive..... so yeah that seems like a dumb idea dont you think? Luckily the people at Enix arent as dumb as Capcom or square proper. ( Why no Twewy2 thoooo)

Didnt the first game get close to a million worldwide?
It certainly got high on Nintendo's radar, there were rumors that it was in the 900,000 range, and then X didn't do too bad for itself either, like its past 500,000 worldwide I believe, people were counting the required unique boss you had to beat at the beginning of the game and was using that to calculate how much it (roughly) sold.

Oh shoot, sorry, roman numerals are hard.

That was 7.

8 is at 0.885 according to Dengeki as of March 2016.

I'll be more careful reading without glasses on.
I will never understand how can people mistake roman numerals. I consider V as having two I and V as having three I. I rarely make a mistake between both. The rest of the numbering system is pretty easy, atleast no game has been released yet which has crossed XX numerals.

It certainly got high on Nintendo's radar, there were rumors that it was in the 900,000 range, and then X didn't do too bad for itself either, like its past 500,000 worldwide I believe, people were counting the required unique boss you had to beat at the beginning of the game and was using that to calculate how much it (roughly) sold.

Pretty good then!

I remember when Gamestop got their restocks and started selling the new game discs as used lmao!

XCX is really good, I clocked in at 660 Hours yesterday :)

I wouldnt mind a switch port at all, thought I dont know how they'd change the interface so that you could access the frontier nav system haha

Propably copy pase gamepad mode? I dunno.

faridmon

Have people forgotton that 3DS have an install base of 23m Versus 5m on the PS4?

I would be mighty impressed if PS4 DQ even sold half of the DS version? That would be a major win for PS4

jordddddd

Neo Member
Have people forgotton that 3DS have an install base of 23m Versus 5m on the PS4?

I would be mighty impressed if PS4 DQ even sold half of the DS version? That would be a major win for PS4

Yeah. I can't see the ps4 version having a better 1st week than FFXV to be honest.

The look of the games matter. The first Xenoblade game on the Wii had prettt good character design but the hardware didn't help it. Its a crazy technical accomplishment. But the way X's characters look definitely limits the appeal in western markets. Especially because the world design and the creature design are very good and in line with western taste. But then you have character designs that look way way out of place.

XBC2 looks even worse than X in that regard. The type of game they are making are very popular now but the art is capping their potential imo. Yes the first game was a breakout and the second game was on a failed system. But the ecosystwm is such that the third game could be a bigger success in other markets but they will have a hard time selling it as is.

This is just people's opinion. Its not a big deal.

The look of the games matter. The first Xenoblade game on the Wii had prettt good character design but the hardware didn't help it. Its a crazy technical accomplishment. But the way X's characters look definitely limits the appeal in western markets. Especially because the world design and the creature design are very good and in line with western taste. But then you have character designs that look way way out of place.

XBC2 looks even worse than X in that regard. The type of game they are making are very popular now but the art is capping their potential imo. Yes the first game was a breakout and the second game was on a failed system. But the ecosystwm is such that the third game could be a bigger success in other markets but they will have a hard time selling it as is.

All that matters is if the target market likes the game enough to buy it and what the size of the target market is. The rest is focusing on the forest instead of the trees.

Imagine if every Zelda looks like Twilight princess due to the backlash from Wind waker and the Gamecube being perceived as kiddy by the target market at the time

we wouldnt have gottten BOTW, which is on its way to outselling every single zelda game that came before.

I mean lets be honest, do you think The Wonderful 101 would have sold better if they used a grittier artstyle? I doubt it, the marketing wasnt doing what it needed to do.

Aters

The way DQ was being handled never the issue to begin with though - for all the SE fuckery DQ is the one constant you could always rely on. Its the same with DQXI the game looks and plays amazing from what ive seen.

No. handling a franchise is much more than just making games. DQ is handled extremely poorly by SE. DQX, an MMORPG was released on Wii in 2012, just a month before WiiU launch. That was a huge mistake. It killed the momentum of the series. Core DQ fans in Japan might enjoy it, but as others have pointed out, DQ is a very casual franchise that relies on a much broader audience. The MMO nature blocked all those people from entering the franchise. Not to mention it never came to the west so what little fanbase DQVIII and IX cultivated here was simply abandoned. For the greater audience, there's an almost a decade of vacuum for Dragon Quest, and that definitely hurts the relevance of the franchise.

DQXI is another example of brand mismanagement. It started out as a PS4 game, yet they have to bring it to 3DS because SE vastly overestimated their ability to "reignite the console game market" in Japan. What we got here is a great console DQ on a pathetically small install base, probably the smallest a mainline DQ has ever been on, and a great portable DQ on an outdated system whose successor is already out. Not an ideal situation.

No. handling a franchise is much more than just making games. DQ is handled extremely poorly by SE. DQX, an MMORPG was released on Wii in 2012, just a month before WiiU launch. That was a huge mistake. It killed the momentum of the series. Core DQ fans in Japan might enjoy it, but as others have pointed out, DQ is a very casual franchise that relies on a much broader audience. The MMO nature blocked all those people from entering the franchise. Not to mention it never came to the west so what little fanbase DQVIII and IX cultivated here was simply abandoned. For the greater audience, there's an almost a decade of vacuum for Dragon Quest, and that definitely hurts the relevance of the franchise.

DQXI is another example of brand mismanagement. It started out as a PS4 game, yet they have to bring it to 3DS because SE vastly overestimated their ability to "reignite the console game market" in Japan. What we got here is a great console DQ on a pathetically small install base, probably the smallest a mainline DQ has ever been on, and a great portable DQ on an outdated system whose successor is already out. Not an ideal situation.

So everything tripples down to everything should be on Switch again.

All that matters is if the target market likes the game enough to buy it and what the size of the target market is. The rest is focusing on the forest instead of the trees.

Imagine if every Zelda looks like Twilight princess due to the backlash from Wind waker and the Gamecube being perceived as kiddy by the target market at the time

we wouldnt have gottten BOTW, which is on its way to outselling every single zelda game that came before.

I mean lets be honest, do you think The Wonderful 101 would have sold better if they used a grittier artstyle? I doubt it, the marketing wasnt doing what it needed to do.

Twillight Princess and Ocarina of Time are the best selling Zelda games still and BOTW has a ways to go. I think the presentation on the game's part and the marketing end met to produce those results. BoTW also falls in line with that I feel and hence its success. It was well marketed and presented with an artstyle that while not "gritty" conveyed at least a sense of tonal maturity.

While I do think Xenoblade 2's actual content is probably going to be way more interesting than many minors would appreciate, the presentation does not make that clear from the get go and the marketing arm is not meeting that either. I do think it's right to be skeptical of its prospects though I am a bit more optimistic about the results than others.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
??? how does any of it has anything to do with Switch?

Ignore him, it's better for your mental health.

EDIT: Although I wanted to add that DQX

- was released a few months before Wii U's launch
- was slated for a decently quick release on Wii U (March, after its December's launch), and with a special promotion for Wii users
- IIRC is a very successful title,thanks to the userbase that keeps on playing, correct me if I'm wrong.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This doesn't really seem like a compelling argument. The existence of what amounts to a spinoff product from the main series--not because it's not mainline, but because if you assume that the series' audience checks out from it being an MMO then they're basically going to treat it like a spinoff--is not going to hurt the main series, just as the other 8,000 spinoff products didn't hurt the series. It's been 8 years since DQ9, yes, but it was 5 years between DQ8 and DQ9 and the same is true of 2 of the other big 3 RPG franchises in Japan: Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. In the mean time, they've kept the franchise going with lots of high profile spinoffs, many of which have been successful.

I agree that the treatment of the series in the west has been poor and it doesn't seem like it's likely to get a toehold any time soon.

I don't think this reflects poorly on Square Enix's decisions, I think it reflects the fragmented nature of the Japanese and global market. Japan is gung-ho about mobile, but it's difficult to imagine that market sustaining a pay-upfront model of the software. Mobile + any other platform would require a lower price on mobile and that creates bad market incentives (I suspect they'll port the 3DS version of DQ11 to mobile eventually at a $20-30 buy-in price). The PS4 and Switch both have low install bases and it was not evident the Switch would take off at all at the time they were doing the bulk of the development on this game. Vita continues to have Japanese software but hardware has slowed substantially and there's no market at all outside Japan. 3DS is past retirement worldwide but still has a high hardware install base on paper. Wii U never took off but had surprisingly good top-end software sales. Xbox and PC might as well not exist within Japan. There's not an obvious case to be made that any combination of platforms in 2017 wouldn't limit software sales potential in comparison to DQ9 on DS.

??? how does any of it has anything to do with Switch?

The Switch is the only system left, if releasing on PS4 and 3DS are bad options.

Even ignoring that DQ has a history of getting releasing on systems at the end of their life and it always worked out.
Dragon Quest VII was released on the Playstation 1 when the PS2 was already out for months in Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

DQX is still running and successful - just about be released on PS4/Switch, DQXI just launched on the two big japanese plattforms - runs, looks and seems to do great sales wise. What is the problem again ?

All they said was that development started out on PS4 - not that it was only to be a PS4 game. This wouldnt have made much sense since SE said years ago that DQs future would be multiplattform and the days of exclusives are more or less over. Mobile, handhelds and consoles have had their fair share of DQ related content in the last couple years.

DQXI is the first time ever that a game has launched at the same time on two different systems in Japan and is able to sell 1m copies per systems. Its a great step forwards for the market in my opinion.

What i will agree on is that the IP has been mismanaged in the west. SE unwillingness to adapt their expectations for the western market has been an issue. I hope DQXI in addition to the following current-gen remakes(believe) of the classic titles can be the start of a small DQ revival in the west.

If they are smart these games better show up on Steam as well.

They wanted DQXI on a console....PS4 was the only relevant system at that time and they knew whatever would be around by the time of launch would use similar PC-like hardware and/or would need support a engine like Unreal 4. Its no science.

wrowa

The Switch is the only system left, if releasing on PS4 and 3DS are bad options.

Switch and PS4 share the same problem: Their userbase is too small. What Aters criticizes isn't that 3DS is a bad choice per se, but that they missed the boat by a couple of years. While Dragon Quest has a history of releasing late, it's unusual even for Dragon Quest's standards to release once successor hardware is already out (I want to say this never happened before, but I can't search for release dates right now).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think the point is they shouldn't have waited until 2017 to release a mainline DQ game on the 3DS.

Their ambitions for DQXI were quite high and this was supposed to be the big Anniversary release - i cant blame them that they werent able to just drop a mainline title on 3DS while they are working on the next big thing, spin-offs and kept DQX going.

DQXI on 3DS looks great from the footage ive seen and DQ main games showing up near the end of a generation isnt something new - it worked out well at the end for all system that are getting the game.

Switch and PS4 share the same problem: Their userbase is too small. What Aters criticizes isn't that 3DS is a bad choice per se, but that they missed the boat by a couple of years. While Dragon Quest has a history of releasing late, it's unusual even for Dragon Quest's standards to release once successor hardware is already out (I want to say this never happened before, but I can't search for release dates right now).

Looking at the Pokemon Sun and Moon performance which was like just half a year ago, I think some people overselling that argument quite badly.

And now there is still the PS4 version which appears to perform quite well and give them a futureproof version for the incoming Switch version + international market.

Aters

Even ignoring that DQ has a history of getting releasing on systems at the end of their life and it always worked out.
Dragon Quest VII was released on the Playstation 1 when the PS2 was already out for months in Japan.

They should have released DQXI earlier. 3DS was still kicking last year, but now all attention is on Switch. If DQX wasn't a MMO that requires tons of resource for new content update, they could have pushed DQXI out earlier and hit the anniversary, as evident by how FFXIV ARR delayed basically all other SE HD projects.

DQVII sold well, true, but in the meantime Sqaure made three successful FF games, each of them more difficult to make technically than DQVII and sold just as well. It also completely missed the golden age of JRPG in the west, making later effort much harder.

Hero

I'm surprised there are people that are surprised at Square-Enid's incompetence. The same company that let the FF brand name suffer for the entire PS3/360 generation and had to morph Versus into XV.

PC? Xbox 1? Worldwide release? I dunno, I dont agree DQ11 was mishandled as of yet. I think it's been done decently. But I do think we will need to see how they handle the international release. I don't see what the Switch has to do with this frankly. If the game wasn't announced from the Switch all those months ago I wouldn't even really expect a version with what you said about DQ end of gen releases.

As of now the 3DS version seems to exist just for Japan to make some extra money. I doubt it's going to be released internationally.

Vena

Hum. I thought we'd have heard some sales buzz by now from SE if it passed 2m on launch week.

Perhaps my time tables are a tad off.

Are people saying this because they don't like anime characters? Because this:

latest
latest
maxresdefault.jpg
all_xenoblade_chronicles_x_dlc_free_west.jpg

Is in no way better than Xenoblade 2:

The characters are actually more Anime looking this time instead of this weird mix of realistic and anime that X had which made them look hideous. I'm really confused as to what some other people are seeing in 2 that is worse than X. Also, anyone who has played X knows that the animation quality is no where near Xenoblade 2.

Alrus

One thing I don't really understand about SE's global strategy is their refusal to try and cultivate an audience for their rpgs on Xbox outside of their biggest name.

Why have FF and KH on the platform but release any spin-off in the meantime to grow the audience? If you think it's not worth it, why even bother porting KH and FF to it in the first place?

Top Bottom