• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Vena

Do they do coke before setting those sales goals?

Is that where all the money is going?

No. This is follows the logic that got us here, so the statement is based on previous justification. The Crux is that this project was greenlit for growth that they did not envision possible with handheld. They *have* to make a statement/forecast of growth otherwise they'd not even show belief in their own original justification.

You can't tell shareholders that "we're doing this in order to shrink our audience". You tell them it's to grow it, which was the basis of the transition to start. They either believe that or they'd have never started down this path.

There's been some word that Capcom should take World as a first step for building a new audience... But I think more and more they expect/want/need this to be a hit Day 1.

If they fail to achieve growth, or if the worst happens and this just matches 3DS sales in the west, then their whole justification on "handhelds were the problem" will go up in smoke.

saichi

Considering how old Sugiyama is and with Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama quickly approaching what could be considered as old enough to retire, I wonder if Dragon Quest XI might be the last mainline game developed by the three "founding fathers".

Maybe we'll have one last hooray from them. I guess it mainly depends on Sugiyama :(

KtSlime

Maybe we'll have one last hooray from them. I guess it mainly depends on Sugiyama :(

I don't think there will be another 5 year gap between 11 and 12, the delay was probably a bunch of factors not limited to giving 10 some time, aiming for the anniversary, and developing the game 3 times. The DQ teams are not as disfuntional as FF, so I could see 12 coming for 2020.

Fiendcode

Isn't there sales goal pretty close to what they sold this year. 10 million sales off of 37 skus doesn't seem unrealistic. They will be half way there with just MHW and MvC initial shipments.
Maybe a third of the way there. MHW+MVCI arn't doing 5m+ this FY.

MoonFrog

I don't think there will be another 5 year gap between 11 and 12, the delay was probably a bunch of factors not limited to giving 10 some time, aiming for the anniversary, and developing the game 3 times. The DQ teams are not as disfuntional as FF, so I could see 12 coming for 2020.

I do hope that XI is a breath of fresh energy into the series in this respect. I'd love it if there was a new "trilogy" that released within the next 6 years or so. That'd give us the most out of what I must imagine is Horii's last ~decade working on the games.

DQ has generally been pretty slow ever since DQ V, with DQVI through IX all taking 4-5 years after their predecessor released, instead of the 1 year separating titles between I and III and the 2 years separating titles between III and V. So it was already slowing down considerably on the SNES and continued to be slow through the PSX, PS2, and DS, through different situations with the publishers and developers.

DQX did come out faster after IX though...

Was the team that made DQXI PS4 on DQX up through 2014 or so?

That could suggest a shift has been made towards a three year development cycle in general, rather than DQX being an odd outlier that took less time after IX.

That'd be great.

Fisico

Rex is also older than Shulk was. Sure he may look like a tales protagonist but how else are we gonna get our deep sea sky diver out into the world? Lol..

No he doesn't. (maybe the closest ones he looks like to are Caius and Ruca, two protagonists of mainline titles that were kidified for DS a decade ago and failed to have decent sales)
Which makes what you said before a bit ironic in retrospect, Xenoblade 2 with his character design is trying to appeal to a much younger audience than Tales currently is (
though it may see a heavy shift pretty soon
).

MoonFrog

I remember that was confirmed. The dev that helped with DQX worked on DQXI PS4 version.
Yeah. It's the same developer iirc, so my question is "is it the same team at the developer and did they leave DQX to another team about 3 years ago?"

That way you could sensibly inflate DQX dev time, point to it as an MMO that'd take that extra time, and deflate DQXI dev time to paint a rosier picture of how long single player DQ takes to make these days.

It'd be super cool/somewhat atypical if DQ could come out faster these days than it came out on the SNES and PSX.

Edit: DQXII 2020-1 PS4/Switch(/PS5).

DQXIII 2023-5 PS5/Switch 2...

I think that magic would also fit hypothetical PS/Nintendo release schedules well too.

Things are lined up too well for 3-4 year cycles!!!

Kanann

Orca team 1 did DQX 200x to 2013 before coming to DQXI.

About development pipeline, you must depend on Horii's ways, not annual or a regular job, he is rich as fux, why care about pumping DQ fast? (another rich as fux and don't want to do DQ anymore is Toriyama, half joke tho) but you can count on spin off or mobile ;)

But after finished XI, I think he can do XII and XIII fine.

Fularu

Banned
The last fully-fledged KH spin-off is DDD on 3DS if I'm not wrong, unless you count collections or a 3 hour demo prequel on the same level.

Just remember who you're answering to.

The last PlayStation KH spinoff was Birth By Sleep (in 2010, over 7 years ago, 2011 if you count the final mix rerelease). Since no new games have been released since 2012 (DDD on 3DS) I don't see the compilations as anything but quick cashgrabs by SE to keep KH relevant while Nomura wastes away an another budget on an overly ambitous game.

MoonFrog

Orca team 1 did DQX 200x to 2013 before coming to DQXI.

About development pipeline, you must depend on Horii's ways, not annual or a regular job, he is rich as fux, why care about pumping DQ fast? (another rich as fux and don't want to do DQ anymore is Toriyama, half joke tho) but you can count on spin off or mobile ;)

But after finished XI, I think he can do XII and XIII fine.

So you're not on this DQ will have a new trilogy by 2025 hype train I inadvertently sort of found myself on :p?

It is funny because my original response to KtSlime was going to be about how I didn't see it happening because they were 4-5 years even back in the SNES/PSX days. Then DQX and XI started looking a little fast for what they are to me :p.

EDIT:

We'll see. They might also go back to experimenting with multiplayer and what not after this. Part of the hypothetical is them just turning out DQXI like projects.

Capcom's Q&A is up but only in Japanese.

Capcom has HIGH expectations for Monster Hunter World, believes they will achieve their 10.3 million units sales goal:

This is Google translated but you can interpret it.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/explanation.html

There's more in the link, for example their answers related mobile gaming doesn't give much confidence.
So they're expecting merely double the amount of the best selling entry in the entire series when the franchise was seemingly at its peak? And they're planning to do this on a home console? I think it's about time to send the EPA to test the drinking water in Osaka.

So they're expecting merely double the amount of the best selling entry in the entire series when the franchise was seemingly at its peak? And they're planning to do this on a home console? I think it's about time to send the EPA to test the drinking water in Osaka.

And apparently they're expecting this by the end of March. Edit - Not 10.3 million. I think it's around 5 million they're expecting for MH.....I think?

I feel something is being missed here. I don't think even Capcom is this crazy.

10,3 million is the total amount of game Capcom want to sell/ship during the fiscal year, not the target for MHW :p

And apparently they're expecting this by the end of March. Edit - Not 10.3 million. I think it's around 5 million they're expecting for MH.

That makes a lot more sense. Still overly optimistic, but at least it doesn't look like they're running a Mel Brooks Producers situation any more.

That makes a lot more sense. Still overly optimistic, but at least it doesn't look like they're running a Mel Brooks Producers situation any more.

Oh no, it's still an insane expectation. Like, completely bonkers.

It'd be a crazy forecast if the game were launching on everything, including 3DS, Switch, smartphones, and my toaster.

It's why I feel there's got to be something we're missing here. Maybe a surprise unannounced AAA game or five.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Oh no, it's still an insane expectation. Like, completely bonkers.

It'd be a crazy forecast if the game were launching on everything, including 3DS, Switch, smartphones, and my toaster.

It's why I feel there's got to be something we're missing here. Maybe a surprise unannounced AAA game or five.

On 3DS the series sold 4 millions
5 millions as a target for MHW isn't crazy

KtSlime

Could you clarify your sentence? Your use of the word 'series' makes it sound like you are adding up 3U, 4U, and Generations, and then saying that World will sell the total of those 3 combined plus an additional 25% on top of that. Am I reading your sentence correctly?

Busaiku

Could you clarify your sentence? Your use of the word 'series' makes it sound like you are adding up 3U, 4U, and Generations, and then saying that World will sell the total of those 3 combined plus an additional 25% on top of that. Am I reading your sentence correctly?
No, each individual game did around that.
Not 3 Ultimate and XX.
4, 4 Ultimate, and Generations all shipped over 4 million each (over 12 million combined).

KtSlime

No, each individual game did around that.
Not 3 Ultimate and XX.
4, 4 Ultimate, and Generations all shipped over 4 million each (over 12 million combined).

Yeah, but those mostly sold in Japan, where people like to go and play the game with their friends while eating and if old enough drinking. 5 million seems crazy if they expect it to sell more while taking away half the fun of the game.

Thanks for making sense of his sentence for me.

Yeah, but those mostly sold in Japan, where people like to go and play the game with their friends while eating and if old enough drinking. 5 million seems crazy if they expect it to sell more while taking away half the fun of the game.

Thanks for making sense of his sentence for me.

Remember.....we're talking around five million in two or three months!

This number for MHW would be almost impossible for Capcom to meet (unless they're planning on doing some serious channel stuffing, I guess), which is why I have to believe there's other titles we're unaware of that will make up this figure. I hope??

Principate

Saint Titanfall
On the 3DS a portable console in Japan. It's now only haw the ps4 in Japan and whatever western sales it can attain from the multiplatform release. They'll be lucky to reach 4 million very lucky. This will be underperformance number what 4 now?

ggx2ac

Sony posted their earnings.

Last fiscal year 1st quarter they shipped 3.5 million PS4 units.

This fiscal year 1st quarter they shipped 3.3 million PS4 units.

No change to their forecast of 18 million PS4 units for the FY.

Zedark

Sony posted their earnings.

Last fiscal year 1st quarter they shipped 3.5 million PS4 units.

This fiscal year 1st quarter they shipped 3.3 million PS4 units.

No change to their forecast of 18 million PS4 units for the FY.
Interesting. They did sell a boatload, more than last year from what little info we have, so maybe they did a ramp up of shipments in anticipation for the first bit of the year at the end of last FY?

ggx2ac

Interesting. They did sell a boatload, more than last year from what little info we have, so maybe they did a ramp up of shipments in anticipation for the first bit of the year at the end of last FY?

No. I don't really know.

They did better last year 1st quarter because they said it was due to having a major first party title on sale.

They claim operating income for the games division is down because they didn't have a highly profitable first party title on sale during that quarter.

Also, their operating income is down by -2.4 billion yen for that division due to the permanent price cut of the PS4 last year back when they released the Slim.

Edit: Nevermind, I misread your question.

Datschge

Will be interesting to see where Capcom manages to release MHW within this FY, do they plan it as a simultaneous worldwide release on PS4 and Xbox? PC release they already stated would come later so those sales won't be there to help achieve their expectation.

As for Japan alone I have a very hard time seeing pass even XX's sales.

gtj1092

How could you possibly know initial shipments for those titles?

Who said I knew them. Do the people claiming they won't make it need know their shipments as well? Seeing how they announced Rev 1&2 for switch since my post I expect the talk to slowly turn into how they are a smart company again.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
5 million by the end of March 2018? Yes, it absolutely is. The game isn't even launching until early next year.

MH has always been very front loaded, isn't it? It could very well launch in January and whatever sales it will see will probably be gained in the first three months.
I can agree that it culd miss that target within the end of march, but could be seen as a reasonable LTD target imho.

Sorry, I meant "brand".
On 3DS the main games were able to sell "around" 4 millions, each (am I wrong?)
What I meant is that I think that setting up 5 millions as LTD for MHW that will be released not as exclusive on a portable system, but on three platforms for a WW release isnt' THAT strange.

On the 3DS a portable console in Japan. It's now only haw the ps4 in Japan and whatever western sales it can attain from the multiplatform release. They'll be lucky to reach 4 million very lucky. This will be underperformance number what 4 now?

I agree that the local sales will be way lower.
DQXI is showing us, on the other hand, that MHW could very well sell 1.5 millions in Japan, on PS4 + Asia.
This means foreseeing a growth in the West, going from a 3DS (that didn't perform GREATLY in terms of software sold, compared to PS4+PC+Xbone) from 1 million up to 3.5 millions.
Hard within end of March, but doable imho

Note: I'm not saying it WILL happen, but that if they decided to move away from the 3DS to PS4/PC/Xbone it doens't make sense to aim for less than 5 millions

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, since the SK event happened, let's bring up again what said by Takaki back in May to define correctly all the announcements.

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/honey-parade-games-retail-switch-title-two-ps4-titles-development

During the interview, Takaki mentioned that other than Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura, the studio has another title for Switch in development that makes use of the system's functionalities. This other title will be a packaged release, unlike Shinobi Refle, which is an digital-only release, and will also make use of Switch's HD rumble functionality.

Additionally, Honey∞Parade Games is working on two PlayStation 4 titles. The first title may be able to be released this season. The second title is relatively big and is planned for the next term.

Other than those, several small things and mid-scale titles are also moving forward, which Takaki says should all be present next term. There's a traditional smartphone title, and about two new and existing TV anime he's working on. Takaki wants to announce all of his upcoming titles collectively around the summer, and is currently in preparation.

Switch retail release -> Senran Kagura: Peach Ball
PS4 title with potential release this season -> Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal {2018.02.22}
PS4 big for next term -> Senran Kagura 7 Even {Autumn 2018}
Traditional smartphone title -> Senran Kagura: New Link

It seems that, indeed, Honey Parade Games is going with different games for PS4 and Switch, as implied by the interview.

Well, Capcom finally announced a new game(s) for the Switch. Residents Evil Revelations 1+2 (releasing as a combo pack in NA at least) coming this year. Honestly I'll probably get it because I loved the first Revelations (the sequel was alright).

Edit: whoops didn't see the SK post above me

ggx2ac

In case no one saw in the USF2 thread. USF2 has 100k sales in Japan.

Q: I would like to ask the number of Ultra Street Fighter II The Final Challengers (Ultra Street Fighter II) sold by region.

A: It is 100,000 in Japan and 350,000 in Europe and the United States.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/data/explanation.html

Q: In response to sales results of "Ultra Street Fighter II", I would like to ask about the policy for responding to Nintendo Switch in the future.

A: The Nintendo Switch is very strong and I expect it to spread in the future. We are considering future response including "Monster Hunter Double Cross Nintendo Switch Ver." Planned to be introduced in August.

Eolz

So, since the SK event happened, let's bring up again what said by Takaki back in May to define correctly all the announcements.

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/honey-parade-games-retail-switch-title-two-ps4-titles-development

Switch retail release -> Senran Kagura: Peach Ball
PS4 title with potential release this season -> Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal {2018.02.22}
PS4 big for next term -> Senran Kagura 7 Even {Autumn 2018}
Traditional smartphone title -> Senran Kagura: New Link

It seems that, indeed, Honey Parade Games is going with different games for PS4 and Switch, as implied by the interview.

Wonder what will be the non-SK games they're working on.

Nobunaga's Ambition 15: Taishi out on Nov. 30th. https://t.co/oqNOH3vOGd
Switch/PS4/PC

Nice!
Hopefully coming to the west this time.

L~A

Wonder what will be the non-SK games they're working on.

Damn, you guys need to be clearer with your sarcasm, I almost fell for it ;)

About USFII, I also find that 100k for Japan really suspicious. Nintendo eShop sales don't seem to have been enough.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ultra Street Fighter II is still full priced and Famitsu estimated initial shipment is far lower from 100k. Either digital is super high or that number doesn't include only Japan.

And apparently they're expecting this by the end of March. Edit - Not 10.3 million. I think it's around 5 million they're expecting for MH.....I think?

Even 5 million is too high. They really think this is going to take off in the West...

Prophane33

Depends on if MHW damages the brand in Japan at all and when the hypothetical MH Switch releases.

MHW has a lot of positive buzz in Japan, the buzz in the West is mostly tainted by Capcom's "betrayal" of not releasing MHXX for switch in the West. Though I would say there is a good portion of the fanbase even in the west that will just import XX or are willing to look past it to MHW and like what they see.

Top Bottom