• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Fisico

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206630147

Weekly points (not pre-orders)

[3DS] Ace Attorney 6 - 194

Media Create sales:

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice # <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.06.09} (¥5.800) - 196.831 / NEW

1:1 ratio from weekly sales. This suggest 75-80k first week sales for this entry going by comg.

And for Dai Gyakuten Saiban

[3DS] Dai Gyakuten Saiban - 119Pt
[3DS] Dai Gyakuten Saiban (collector) - 27pt

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2015 (Jul 06 - Jul 12)

02./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken # <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.07.09} (¥6.264) - 135.690 / NEW

So anything between 70-80k might happen

The way idtech5 works is that everything is a unique texture from a data persoective, which is why even Rage on the 360 was 22 GB despite having a lot of super questionable textures.

This is different than how most games bloat in file size, which is generally uncompressed video and audio and all localization files on the same disc. Sometimes it's super high resolution textures as well, but idtech5 needs the disc size of 2K and 4K textures just to get 256 and 512 textures in a game. Idtech6 shares some of this philosophy.

The main issue I have with Bethesda is that it's hard to imagine what they make that would actually be transferable due to factors like this. Dishonored 1 (UE3)? Maybe Prey's reboot (CryEngine)? They do have some Unity games like Fallout Shelter and The Elder Scrolls Legends.

Perhaps they hire some developers who are not wasting users disc space. Bethesda games (as most games) could probably 1/2 the file size if the developers cared a bit about compression and get rid of unused data. But in some gamers perspective big file size=good game, so some developers don't care or even bloat game size by purpose.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems like Square Enix barely started Dragon Quest Buiders 2's development. Hori stated that the design of protagonist (which is the same as in DQB1) could be temporary. Considering how similar the game looks, it wouldn't surprise me if they just started and added a bunch of small additions just to show off the game.
http://nintendoeverything.com/a-few-dragon-quest-builders-2-details-release-date-is-a-year-off/

My guess would be that they spent most of the time thus far working on technology upgrades to enable things like multiplayer while Stormblood finished up (as both as made by Business Division 5).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought TOSE was behind Builders?

There were a lot of people on the game, but the core team was BD5.

For comparison, BD5's staff on the game:

Square Enix Co., Ltd.: Business Division V

Director Kazuya Niinou
Programmers Hideyuki Takahashi, Takashi Morio, Maximilien Dagois, Yobun Fujita, Sh&#333; Honma, Shinichi Nakamura, Keiji Noda, Hiroaki Ohno, Keitaro Shimizu, Takashi Sugi, Naoto Uenaka, Mamoru Oyamada
Planners Dai Oba, Hiroaki Ishige, Tomoyuki Kawasaki, Yasushi Matsumura, Yoshikazu Suzuki, Yusuke Tanaka, Nobuaki Komoto
Designers Shintaro Tamai, Nobuki Ando, Suguru Ishii, Yasuyuki Kawamata, Sh&#363;ichi Sato, Tomoki Chiba, Sachiko Amano, Takuo Fukui, Yasuhide Hino (charabans inc.), Shuhei Nomura (charabans inc.), Natsumi Sakamoto, Teruki Suganuma, Daisuke Takakuwa, Yuko Tashiro, Asami Tsushima, Kyohei Terui, Koji Tsutsui, Jun Yamanaka, Ai Yoshida (charabans inc.), Tsunataro Yoshida
2D Designers Nozomi Kobayashi, Hiroyuki Nagamine, Mai Nakashita, Nao Takeda
Project Managers Yoko Taniyama, Yuki Nakai, Hiroyuki Ogawa
Supervisor Hiroshi Minagawa
Technical Director Hideyuki Kasuga
Manager Nao Matsuda
Division Executive Naoki Yoshida
Other And all Division V support Staff

TOSE's staff on the game:

Tose Co., Ltd.

Sound Advisors Takumi Hosoyama, Hidenori Miyanaga
Chief Music Programmer Ayumu Murai
Music Programmers Takashi Honda, Noriko Ishida, Yoshiaki Kimura, Eri Tsunemoto

http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/dragon-quest-builders/credits

You might be thinking of World of Final Fantasy though, which I believe was mostly TOSE.

Oregano

My guess would be that they spent most of the time thus far working on technology upgrades to enable things like multiplayer while Stormblood finished up (as both as made by Business Division 5).

Not to mention they have either had to change engine or port Phyre engine to the Switch.

LordKano

While we're talking about DQ spin-offs, Switch has now catched up with PS4 in terms of these games : Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 are on both systems, it's only a matter of weeks for DQX and DQ Builders 2 will release next summer. The only missing game would be the first DQ Builders but considering how similar the second one looks, it was probably not worth it.

Where will the serie go from there ? It's unlikely that 3DS will get new DQ spin-offs, all games would be focused on PS4 & Switch. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker died on 3DS and it's unlikely to rise from the ashes. Theatrythm was a single tentative that didn't catch up. Will Square Enix ride solely on DQ Heroes and Builders ? Is Heroes 3 in development ? Licensed musous aren't exactly setting charts on fire lately.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While we're talking about DQ spin-offs, Switch has now catched up with PS4 in terms of these games : Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 are on both systems, it's only a matter of weeks for DQX and DQ Builders 2 will release next summer. The only missing game would be the first DQ Builders but considering how similar the second one looks, it was probably not worth it.

Where will the serie go from there ? It's unlikely that 3DS will get new DQ spin-offs, all games would be focused on PS4 & Switch. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker died on 3DS and it's unlikely to rise from the ashes. Theatrythm was a single tentative that didn't catch up. Will Square Enix ride solely on DQ Heroes and Builders ? Is Heroes 3 in development ? Licensed musous aren't exactly setting charts on fire lately.

They seem to be making more Heroes: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-heroes-ii-director-possibly-hints-dragon-quest-heroes-iii

That said, a lot of the spin-offs also show up on mobile instead these days. Like they're making Dragon Quest Rivals (a card game) for mobile and PC, and that's on top of already having Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light and Dragon Quest of the Stars for the platform.

On the Rivals note, they also seem to be making good use of the Dragon Quest XI monster models:

dragon-quest-rivals-s2oj51.jpg

Yagami_Sama

04./00. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 35.907 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264) - 32.904 / NEW
14./00. [PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 10.416 / NEW

And I thought that the first game had sold 40k all versions combined.

So, I think that the Switch version will do as "good" as Fate/Extella .

LordKano

They seem to be making more Heroes: http://gematsu.com/2016/12/dragon-quest-heroes-ii-director-possibly-hints-dragon-quest-heroes-iii

That said, a lot of the spin-offs also show up on mobile instead these days. Like they're making Dragon Quest Rivals (a card game) for mobile and PC, and that's on top of already having Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light and Dragon Quest of the Stars for the platform.

On the Rivals note, they also seem to be making good use of the Dragon Quest XI monster models:

dragon-quest-rivals-s2oj51.jpg

Heroes 3 is probably a PS4/Switch title then. Hopefully they won't screw up the port this time.

Rivals looks damn good. I don't think we ever had an HD model for the hero's father of Dragon Quest V ? Or was it in one of the Heroes game ?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Isn't the first game using Sony's proprietary engine? Maybe they are porting the backend of the game to Unreal or something.

Eolz

Isn't the first game using Sony's proprietary engine? Maybe they are porting the backend of the game to Unreal or something.

Phyre engine also works on non-Sony platforms, it's a matter of porting it.
Likely easier to do than making a new one under UE.

Aters

The file size argument is weird as well - the games obv. wouldnt have the same file size on Switch after being ported and optimized for the plattform.

BOTW is 13G without expension, and Nintendo is the king of game compression. The file size argument is absolutely valid. Optimization is a lot of work, not a magic spell.

Kyoufu

How are you gonna start this argument by comparing Switch to WiiU ? :) I mean come on, the WiiU would have gotten more support if the system didnt sell like shit regardless of its hardware.
I dont know what the future has to offer but if a big 3rdParty has a success in a first 12 months of a new system they usually follow up on that in someway and wont just drop the system with " but well, the WiiU etc."

My main point was in general Third Party support why you are limiting the discussion to AAA games that Switch couldnt run - even though Todd Howards comment showed that he was impressed by the System and on board early on.

The comparison is easy to make. Switch and Wii U aren't powerful enough to fit into western AAA developer plans, which is why EA's support only goes as far as a non-Frostbite version of FIFA for Switch.

Todd Howard is excited to sell you Skyrim again. He's not going to say anything else, is he.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
BOTW is 13G without expension, and Nintendo is the king of game compression. The file size argument is absolutely valid. Optimization is a lot of work, not a magic spell.

No one said porting or optimizing a game for a different platform was just a button press. Nintendo isnt using some Magic compressions technology...their games just usually dont include the file baggage most current AAA games offer like pre-rendered videos, lots of VA etc.

The comparison is easy to make. Switch and Wii U aren't powerful enough to fit into western AAA developer plans, which is why EA's support only goes as far as a non-Frostbite version of FIFA for Switch.

Todd Howard is excited to sell you Skyrim again. He's not going to say anything else, is he.
We went from regular 3rdParty support...to AAA support...to bringing up EA as an prime example for 3rdParty support in a Nintendo console.

I mean i get your point but you seem to completely have missed mine otherwise you wouldnt bring up those examples. My initial statement was a general as it can be, yet here we are.

Sure if you think that EA or Bethesda wont follow up with more content on Switch if there games sell well, i can accept that,

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

BoTW is an expansive game that shipped on BD, the same format that PS4/XBO uses. I don't know if you can expect it to be significantly smaller than games from the x86 twins.

Ah, didn't knew that. But I suspect is not the easiest of jobs, either.

LordKano

I'm very interested to see how NBA2K18 and WWE2K18 will look and weights on the Switch. These are supposed to be 40-50GB on PS4 & One.

And I thought that the first game had sold 40k all versions combined.

So, I think that the Switch version will do as "good" as Fate/Extella .

It should do better than Fate/Extella since it's releasing on the same date as the PS4/Vita version instead of 8 months later. I'd guess 50-60% of the sales of the PS4 version (maybe 16-18k FW).

Kyoufu

Sure if you think that EA or Bethesda wont follow up with more content on Switch if there games sell well, i can accept that,

I just think Bethesda are unlikely to bring anything actually new to Switch unless it's specifically designed for the system itself, like how Ubisoft's only worthwhile game on Switch is a Mario game.

LordKano

I just think Bethesda are unlikely to bring anything actually new to Switch unless it's specifically designed for the system itself, like how Ubisoft's only worthwhile game on Switch is a Mario game.

There's Starlink too, and Steep if this thing ever comes out. And I'm sure Ubisoft will bring more games that are technically possible on Switch as soon as they'll be ready to be shown. They're probably the most-supportive publisher of Nintendo since decades. They recently said that they're going to announce new games soon.

Kyoufu

There's Starlink too, and Steep if this thing ever comes out. And I'm sure Ubisoft will bring more games that are technically possible on Switch as soon as they'll be ready to be shown. They're probably the most-supportive publisher of Nintendo since decades. They recently said that they're going to announce new games soon.

I forgot about Starlink. Looks interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Heroes 3 is probably a PS4/Switch title then. Hopefully they won't screw up the port this time.

Rivals looks damn good. I don't think we ever had an HD model for the hero's father of Dragon Quest V ? Or was it in one of the Heroes game ?

I'm not actually sure with the character models. They're plausibly new.

The trailer shows this a bit more if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFqXofSaVgI

As for what I mean about the Dragon Quest XI monsters, notice the green slug in both of these:

LordRaptor

AAA developers making games graphically scalable doesn't only affect their potential with Switch buyers; they also benefit by lowering the minimum specs for PC sales into "non-enthusiast" territory.

The "can it run a game" potential (which is not the same as "can it look the same?" potential) between a PS4 at the high end and a Switch at the low end is nothing like PS360 vs Wii. Its not even as big as PS2 vs original Xbox.

Ōkami

Pretty sure the monsters from XI are reused from the Heroes games, the bestiary of XI is mostly made from monsters of previous games and at least when they're moving around in the overworld they behave just like they do on the Heroes games.

And even then I think Heroes' monsters come from X too.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm very interested to see how NBA2K18 and WWE2K18 will look and weights on the Switch. These are supposed to be 40-50GB on PS4 & One.

It will probably look like a mix of last gen and current gen. current gen textures with last gen models and somewhat good lightning and other effects not possible on last gen. problem is content and music. Think they can compress music and something.

How do DQXI sales look this week? Any hints on how big the drop is?

Shahed

What was the drop off on Heroes II conpared to tbe first game? I wonder if we'll see a similar drop for Heroes III?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
What was the drop off on Heroes II conpared to tbe first game? I wonder if we'll see a similar drop for Heroes III?
First SE must decide to make a III. II saw a big drop from the first and the Musou curse will take the next one even lower. They could try replacing Vita with Switch but I doubt things would change a lot.

These Musou collaborations are hit or miss and even if they are hits they don't last more than the first entry.

Shame the Switch port was so poor. Could've benefited from a drop in resolution...though there's no reason a PS3 port should run so poorly even at 1080p on Switch.
I don't think the two pack is suitable for a western release which could've made up for lower sales. Though at least the Builders 2 port should show they weren't discouraged.
First SE must decide to make a III. II saw a big drop from the first and the Musou curse will take the next one even lower. They could try replacing Vita with Switch but I doubt things would change a lot.

These Musou collaborations are hit or miss and even if they are hits they don't last more than the first entry.
I think that instead of there being a musou curse...I think it's that Musou games aren't very good.
It's a grind fest with Unsatisfying combat. Probably really cheap to make but a lot of collaborations just sell on the brand alone.
That's not to say all people hate musou games, but I think for many 1 is enough.

As a big Zelda fan I enjoyed HW, but I think the first game was enough. I do not want a second especially after Legends.

Wonder how Fire Emblem will perform. Don't think it's nearly as big as Zelda or DQ. And it looks like HW 1.5 tech wise

Snakeyes

AThe "can it run a game" potential (which is not the same as "can it look the same?" potential) between a PS4 at the high end and a Switch at the low end is nothing like PS360 vs Wii. Its not even as big as PS2 vs original Xbox.

I'm kinda tempted to call BS on that. Is there a spec comparison somewhere?

Ōkami

Heroes 2 was a HUGE improvement over the original, that and the Vita version made the drop much better than it would've been for standard musou sequels.

Strong sales of the Vita version show good demand for that kind of games portable a Heroes III on Switch could sell very well and given the quality of II I'd expect III to do well on PS4 too, espcially with the 1 million Dragon Quest audience on the system.

The biggest musou collaboration prior to Dragon Quest Heroes were the One Piece and First of the North Star ones, where the sequel couldn't even match first week sales of the original, yet Heroes II dropped was of just 200k.

Fiendcode

Mobile DQ I•II•III conversions
Pictologica Dragon Quest
Itadaki Street Switch with DQ & Mario
Dragon Quest Rivals port

Speaking of Theathrythm, BD4 should consider doing a Switch port of the arcade game. Maybe add FF & DQ into a singular release for it?

I believe releasing PE games on non-PS platforms also voids the royalty-free license agreement. Probably why the went with Builders 2 instead rather han porting 1 and opening themselves up to backpayments on the PS ecosystem releases, I also expect a new engine.

Time for Final Fantasy Heroes then. DQH3 could happen but it's not something I see doing too well.

Mory Dunz

Ever Oasis was sent out to die. It didn't have much appeal as it was and it's releasing towards the end of a systems life.

i made a thread about this not being a good idea and got pooped on.
But Hey Pikmin is doing better than I thought. Slightly.
Then again Mario Sports Superstar did what I expected, or even worse.

Fukuzatsu

We went from regular 3rdParty support...to AAA support...to bringing up EA as an prime example for 3rdParty support in a Nintendo console

I feel like this is often a point of contention when it comes to Nintendo consoles, but AAA support from major publishers (like EA) is what constitutes "regular 3rd party support" on basically every platform.

Now, the Switch is certainly getting increased support from Japanese firms for certain games (Musou and Sangokushi/Nobunaga's Ambition from Koei-Tecmo, DQ from Square Enix), but Western AAA support is basically nonexistent amidst recent releases like Prey, DOOM, Overwatch, Rainbow Six, and upcoming ones like Far Cry or Assassin's Creed.

It's getting some hybrid versions and downgraded ports of some of the sports games, and Skyrim, but that's not what people are thinking of or talking about when they refer to a lack of 3rd party support on a given system. Even Japanese heavy-hitters like FFXV and smaller budget RPGs like Persona or Legend of Heroes aren't scheduled for ports.

So why it may be true that the console is getting some decent indies and a weird grab bag of other 3rd party material, it's certainly very lackluster compared to other offerings in the console space in this area. Even compared to those consoles' launch periods, and even compared to Nintendo's previous home console launch.

lherre

Accurate
No one said porting or optimizing a game for a different platform was just a button press. Nintendo isnt using some Magic compressions technology...their games just usually dont include the file baggage most current AAA games offer like pre-rendered videos, lots of VA etc.

But UE4 port button... Gaf lied to me!!!!

j/k

Every since the generational transition they've gone PS4/PSV (+ sometimes extra SKU) for most of their titles. I guess they'd finally wrung all the money out of "plus ports" that they could so ended it with Shallie (so Sophie onwards have been multi-plat).

Given Gust are making Nights of Azure 2 for Switch, I see absolutely no reason they won't also put the new Atelier on it too. Like I say, I just wonder whether we'll also get a Vita version (which I suspect will be their final ever Vita release) or if they'll drop it given how much trouble they had getting Firis running.

With that said, they clearly don't need many sales for their ports to turn a profit - iirc things like Atelier Ayesha and Ar no Surge Plus sold ~ 30k domestically and the games kept coming to Vita, so with Koei-Tecmo's porting tools in place I could see it happening.

(But I also suspect that Vita fans are getting tired of the crappy ports too, given the weaker sales of things like Atelier Firis & Blue Reflection).

famitsu leak confirms that the new atelier is ps4/switch/vita

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
famitsu leak confirms that the new atelier is ps4/switch/vita
Interested to see what kind of performance the Switch version will have compared to PSV/PS4.

Is Xenoblade 2 this year as well in Japan? Bamco should be unveiling soon whatever type of Tales of game they are bringing to Switch this FY as well.

Top Bottom