• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If switch stock stays decent, and with obon, it won't drop as far behind the 3DS as I thought.

yeah was just looking at the comparison and if Switch supply stays above 50K after obon it won't be far off. Real test is December when 3DS hardware was just insane

horuhe

Most of Switch units are the Splatoon ones, Rakuten had a big restock this week. So, COMG! is not doing its job here.

Obon gonna be interesting.

Square2015

Comgnet for DQ looks like:

DQ11 3DS ~500-550k
DQ11 PS4 ~170-190k

~700k in the second week, man Dragon Quest has still got it.

5 million. 3DS was the fastest best selling system in one year in Japan.

___

In two weeks, when the 3DS price cut starts in the comparison, I will update the graph adding PSP, Wii & NDS (no need for PS4, Wii U & Vita anymore).

thanks! going off the chart i thought the Switch would surpass 3DS FY sales but that price cut+MH+MK7 did something else

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 31 2017

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom)
04./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./00. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
06./04. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
07./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
08./06. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
09./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Special Edition <ADV> (Capcom)
11./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
12./08. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
13./09. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
14./12. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
15./22. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
16./16. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./10. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
18./20. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
19./14. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
20./21. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)

____

Tsutaya doesn't include bundles

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
you're taking that chart a bit too literally
Comgnet was on target with 3DS/PS4 split and 3DS rapid increase of interest at last days before launch. Sales might not be so high for second week but don't be surprised if you see a big difference in favor of 3DS, unlike what YSO expects.

Ōkami

Geo Top 10

1. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  2. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  3. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo
  4. [SWI] Splatoon 2
  5. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  6. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy
  7. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  8. [PS4] Gundam Versus
  9. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin
  10. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't think kh3 or next mainline final fantasy is going to come to switch. i also don't see square's western studio marvel games, tomb raider etc.... will come to switch. Maybe ff7r has a chance if the scope isn't too big or if they make customized version ala 3ds dq11

Why are you bringing up KH3 or the next mainline FF when they are likely targeting specs higher than what the witch offers ? Is said everything possible...of course this doesnt include their most high end titles.

That were Matsudas comment in regard to Switch support - a month after launch

”Our developers with a strong interest in the Switch are eager to challenge themselves to find new ways for people to play games. Having more gaming platforms available is a good thing for us. I really want the Switch to succeed. We'll be develop new titles, and we'd like to port existing titles that the Switch can support often as we can.

I'm gonna have to agree with Hero of Legend. I mean, Wii U also had one and done publisher support and poor sales aside, weak hardware didn't help its cause in the AAA scene. Bethesda makes AAA games and it's easy to see western AAA games skipping Switch for the most part because of weaker hardware.

Nintendo probably wasn't concerned about this because it'd be nothing new for them and expect Japan + Indies to carry the system.

How are you gonna start this argument by comparing Switch to WiiU ? :) I mean come on, the WiiU would have gotten more support if the system didnt sell like shit regardless of its hardware.
I dont know what the future has to offer but if a big 3rdParty has a success in a first 12 months of a new system they usually follow up on that in someway and wont just drop the system with " but well, the WiiU etc."

My main point was in general Third Party support why you are limiting the discussion to AAA games that Switch couldnt run - even though Todd Howards comment showed that he was impressed by the System and on board early on.
wouldn't go that far
Ok.
the game that even cant run well on base xbox and ps4? i highly doubt that. I am also pretty sure something like FFVIIR is not gonna be less demanding then FF XV
Ok.
I didnt say anything about FFVII being less demanding than FFXV so i dont know why....well nvm.

Edit:

Yeah, I think the class of games that barely function on PS4/XB1 are probably not where I'd be looking.

The Evil Within 2 even still seems to be idtech5 instead of idtech6, so I imagine it also runs like garbage on those platforms on top of being 50 GB.

I'm also expecting FF7R to be a 2020+ cross gen game with the PS5 at this point given the developer Switch suggests they're starting a lot of stuff over, and the hiring note suggests they don't even have a full development team for the thing.

The nigh assured generation switch for games starting development in 2017 does put some amount of damper on the Switch's future support.

Its funny how people will focus on the one simple part that supports their argumentation. My main point was that i dont think Bethesda will just drop the Switch support if Skyrim is a success this early in the consoles lifecycle. Not that every big games that they are developing will or can be on Switch.

The file size argument is weird as well - the games obv. wouldnt have the same file size on Switch after being ported and optimized for the plattform.

Same with SE...how did SE (as Matsuda stated) bring as much content as technically possible turn into someone guaranteed FF7R expectation on Switch ? A game that wont be out for like 4-5 years.

jonno394

I want to support Gust, but never played the first one, how do they compare to the Atelier or Ar series?

Should I pick it up?

I haven't played it but I'll grab this on Switch. I just think it's a shame if the first time Switch gets a ps4/psv title released on the same day, it just fails.

At launch the original sold 30k~ on both ps4 and psv and 10k~ on ps3, so anything under the latter is disastrous imo. I know a lot of it is due to the first having been on those platforms and people buying the sequel on them too.

Rncewind

Ok.
I didnt say anything about FFVII being less demanding than FFXV so i dont know why....well nvm.

because kh3 and FF VII and to a certain extent ffxv are the most recent/upcomming games of se and you mentioned they are gonna port everything was possible? And going further beyond the games gonna be more demanding, not less, where i take FF VII as example. Sry if i upset you. Thing is simply you mention F4, something that even barely properly run on consoles with much higher base and much higher specs then switch (and again, switch needs to run this games in handheld too, since it is appeal). Thats the reason why i say anything like this of the caliber is high unlikely to get a justifed port

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why are you bringing up KH3 or the next mainline FF when they are likely targeting specs higher than what the witch offers ? Is said everything possible...of course this doesnt include their most high end titles.

That were Matsudas comment in regard to Switch support - a month after launch

How are you gonna start this argument by comparing Switch to WiiU ? :) I mean come on, the WiiU would have gotten more support if the system didnt sell like shit regardless of its hardware.
I dont know what the future has to offer but if a big 3rdParty has a success in a first 12 months of a new system they usually follow up on that in someway and wont just drop the system with " but well, the WiiU etc."

My main point was in general Third Party support why you are limiting the discussion to AAA games that Switch couldnt run - even though Todd Howards comment showed that he was impressed by the System and on board early on.

Ok.

Ok.

Edit:

Its funny how people will focus on the one simple part that supports their argumentation. My main point was that i dont think Bethesda will just drop the Switch support if Skyrim is a success this early in the consoles lifecycle. Not that every big games that they are developing will or can be on Switch.

The file size argument is weird as well - the games obv. wouldnt have the same file size on Switch after being ported and optimized for the plattform.

Same with SE...how did SE (as Matsuda stated) bring as much content as technically possible turn into someone guaranteed FF7R expectation on Switch ? A game that wont be out for like 4-5 years.
The way idtech5 works is that everything is a unique texture from a data persoective, which is why even Rage on the 360 was 22 GB despite having a lot of super questionable textures.

This is different than how most games bloat in file size, which is generally uncompressed video and audio and all localization files on the same disc. Sometimes it's super high resolution textures as well, but idtech5 needs the disc size of 2K and 4K textures just to get 256 and 512 textures in a game. Idtech6 shares some of this philosophy.

The main issue I have with Bethesda is that it's hard to imagine what they make that would actually be transferable due to factors like this. Dishonored 1 (UE3)? Maybe Prey's reboot (CryEngine)? They do have some Unity games like Fallout Shelter and The Elder Scrolls Legends.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I would expect a bigger split between the two SKUs moving forward too.

That's the logical and what sinobi sees too.

"Before preorders start, expectations were 3,5m LTD, with 2,3 for 3DS and 1,2 for PS4. Opening week close to 2,1m (1,4m / 0,7m).

As time passed it looked 3DS would fail hard to hit these numbers but things changed drastically last week and a lot of lost distance was covered. While 3DS opening was still sluggish comparing to original predictions (1,15m / 0,95m), total was the same.

From second week and onward, more casual buyers and families will step in and sales will be affected with 3DS being the one that will benefit from this movement."

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 31 2017

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom)
04./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./00. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
06./04. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
07./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
08./06. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
09./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Special Edition <ADV> (Capcom)
11./11. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
12./08. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
13./09. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
14./12. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
15./22. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
16./16. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./10. [PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
18./20. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
19./14. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
20./21. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)

____

Tsutaya doesn't include bundles

Layton and Pikmin seems to have legs. There are the most surprising (relative) "summer success" outside of the big guns.

&#332;kami;245555202 said:
[SWI] Pokken Tournament DX - 10

I know it's still a while off, but has this moved at all since entering?

Goooooooooo Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

I feel like this is actually doing really well, since COMG has been pretty averse to Falcom's games in the past. Hopefully it manages to keep pace in actual sales with 1/2.

And no signs of the Switch version of Nights of Azure 2.

&#332;kami;245561506 said:
Its not there because its going to bomb, not because they're not selling it.

Nights of Azure 2 bombing on Switch will be very disappointing.

It's worth bearing in mind that COMG will be over-estimating the Vita version's sales, just like they did with many late-in-life PSP/PS3 games. Plus, Atelier Firis and Blue Reflection saw big drops on Vita (while PS4 basically stayed flat/went down, meaning sales as a whole were lower than I would have expected for games like these).

NoA2 will make up for it with western sales anyway (I'm not expecting a Disgaea 5 effect, but I suspect plenty of people will pick it up because "I've always wanted to try a Gust game but never had chance to!")

At launch the original sold 30k~ on both ps4 and psv and 10k~ on ps3, so anything under the latter is disastrous imo. I know a lot of it is due to the first having been on those platforms and people buying the sequel on them too.

04./00. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 35.907 / NEW
05./00. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264) - 32.904 / NEW
14./00. [PS3] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 10.416 / NEW

Nights of Azure is one of Gust's most successful launches in years. I don't expect them to reach these sales levels again - they've burnt their bridges with Vita owners with crappy ports over the last few years; and impressions on the prequel in general seem to be lukewarm so I'm not expecting any growth on PS4 for the sequel. So Switch has a lot to do to keep the IP even (which I don't think will happen).

OT: Great Ace Attorney 2 seems to be doing particularly poorly based on all these retailer charts?

Meanwhile, Ever Oasis is dead as I expected.

Yeah, it is a pure, real bomb. Grezzo is most likely back to remakes only with Nintendo. Layton selling up to 1 million in its glory days and Pikmin being quite successful on GC (both titles sold around 500 000 copies in Japan I think) surely helped since the IP are already well known.

D.Lo

Yeah, it is a pure, real bomb. Grezzo is most likely back to remakes only with Nintendo. Layton selling up to 1 million in its glory days and Pikmin being quite successful on GC (both titles sold around 500 000 copies in Japan I think) surely helped since the IP are already well known.
I would have been genuinely interested in EO if it was released at another time or to sound like a broken record, on Switch. Just horrific timing and placement.

sphinx

the piano man
I would have been genuinely interested in EO if it was released at another time or to sound like a broken record, on Switch. Just horrific timing and placement.

yeah I think trying to launch new IPs on ancient hardware that is on its way out rarely (if ever) pays out.

that's like sony trying to release a brand new IP on PS2 in 2007... (did that actually happen? I'd be curious to see how that turned out)

Fisico

OT: Great Ace Attorney 2 seems to be doing particularly poorly based on all these retailer charts?

If you only look at the ranking it doesn't say much, it's below both DQXI SKU and above everything else which are all <50k (most sales of Splatoon 2 coming from bundles).

Only Rakuten might give a small insight since they include the Splatoon 2 bundle and put it above DGS2 (and that bundle should be in the 40-70k range this week)

YSO expectations, sellthrough and, probably, lower budget also points to dissapointing sales, maybe a comparison with Comg launch number for the first DGS and GS6 could help give a rough idea of how "bad" the sales will be :(

hiska-kun

From the sell-through data, we know that despite Crash first day sell-through was 70%, its sales were lower than Ace Attorney 2 with just 30% sell-through first day.
This tells us that or Crash shipment was really small, or Ace Attorney 2 shipment is considerable (or both).

For me, it looks like The great AA2 should be around ~80k (with ~150k shipment for the week), and crash ~40k (with less than 50k shipment for the week.
But maybe I'm being optimistic.

If you only look at the ranking it doesn't say much, it's below both DQXI SKU and above everything else which are all <50k (most sales of Splatoon 2 coming from bundles).

Only Rakuten might give a small insight since they include the Splatoon 2 bundle and put it above DGS2 (and that bundle should be in the 40-70k range this week)

YSO expectations, sellthrough and, probably, lower budget also points to dissapointing sales, maybe a comparison with Comg launch number for the first DGS and GS6 could help give a rough idea of how "bad" the sales will be :(

I mean, I was going off Rakuten and COMG. Rakuten have it below Splatoon (plus bundle) which suggests < 100k - and I know COMG is probably the least reliable of all of them, but in a weekly chart 70 points is an incredibly poor result (but maybe COMG have just never been big on Ace Attorney - I don't have the previous games to compare to).

Certainly, it seems a long, long way off 135k in any event.

Branduil

Yeah, I'm not sure how a Switch Ever Oasis would have done, but there's virtually no way it could have done as bad as this.

hiska-kun

I mean, I was going off Rakuten and COMG. Rakuten have it below Splatoon (plus bundle) which suggests < 100k - and I know COMG is probably the least reliable of all of them, but in a weekly chart 70 points is an incredibly poor result (but maybe COMG have just never been big on Ace Attorney - I don't have the previous games to compare to).

Certainly, it seems a long, long way off 135k in any event.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206630147

Weekly points (not pre-orders)

[3DS] Ace Attorney 6 - 194

Media Create sales:

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice # <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.06.09} (¥5.800) - 196.831 / NEW

1:1 ratio from weekly sales. This suggest 75-80k first week sales for this entry going by comg.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=206630147

Weekly points (not pre-orders)

[3DS] Ace Attorney 6 - 194

Media Create sales:

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice # <ADV> (Capcom) {2016.06.09} (¥5.800) - 196.831 / NEW

1:1 ratio from weekly sales. This suggest 75-80k first week sales for this entry going by comg.

Oh right yeah, got my pre-orders and weekly sales mixed up. Whoops.

70k seems in line with the other retailers too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
because kh3 and FF VII and to a certain extent ffxv are the most recent/upcomming games of se and you mentioned they are gonna port everything was possible? And going further beyond the games gonna be more demanding, not less, where i take FF VII as example. Sry if i upset you. Thing is simply you mention F4, something that even barely properly run on consoles with much higher base and much higher specs then switch (and again, switch needs to run this games in handheld too, since it is appeal). Thats the reason why i say anything like this of the caliber is high unlikely to get a justifed port

Honestly i have no idea what part you are responding too - i made it very clear what type of games im talking about bringing up projects like FF7R to prove a point against me that i never brought up seems weird.

When Matsuda made that statement he was talking about titles like SE Remasters or less demanding projects like DQ Builders. Depending on how DQXI on Switch will perform and their upcoming announcement we might have to change out stance on that statement...but for now thats what it is.
The way idtech5 works is that everything is a unique texture from a data persoective, which is why even Rage on the 360 was 22 GB despite having a lot of super questionable textures.

This is different than how most games bloat in file size, which is generally uncompressed video and audio and all localization files on the same disc. Sometimes it's super high resolution textures as well, but idtech5 needs the disc size of 2K and 4K textures just to get 256 and 512 textures in a game. Idtech6 shares some of this philosophy.

The main issue I have with Bethesda is that it's hard to imagine what they make that would actually be transferable due to factors like this. Dishonored 1 (UE3)? Maybe Prey's reboot (CryEngine)? They do have some Unity games like Fallout Shelter and The Elder Scrolls Legends.

Yes,
assuming that the file size of their games cant be reduced when porting them to another system and that Switch will never support bigger cards in the future...

My main point was that successful Publishers usually keep supporting the system they are successful on - i didnt specify how. Thats not even a confirmation but usually thats how things work. Even if its a Morrowind Remake or a Fallout New Vegas Remastered, Doom or whatever. If there is money to be made devs and publisher get more flexible.

Edit:

I mean they got to make their game on a low budget and with relatively low risk for Nintendo. And it didnt turn out horrible. I think these type of projects are fine for Nintendo since it helps them sell the message that system X isnt dead and keep promoting the hardware. Just like not every HBO show can be GoT. Did they expect more worldwide ? Likely....did they expect much more ? I doubt it.

hiska-kun

total.jpg

L~A

Go, go, 2017, ya can do it mah boy!

01. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers < 130k (average 120k)

I'd love to know how on earth they can be that optimistic about TSW...I assume they have access to pre-order data?

There is an Ace Attorney double pack? Is that on one cartridge? They should bring that version over!

Nope, it's on separate cartridges.

And they're never, ever going to bring DGS over. I'd say Capcom is more likely to revive Mega Man Legends 3 than localise DGS, at this point.

Eolz

Nights of Azure 2 bombing on Switch will be very disappointing.

Eh, I think they kind of expect it. It's the first game from Gust on the platform, and they're probably expecting more from the version in the West since there'll be no Vita version there.
It was never going to be a big seller on any platform in the first place anyway.

I want to support Gust, but never played the first one, how do they compare to the Atelier or Ar series?

Should I pick it up?

It's not as good as Atelier. First one had mediocre gameplay but interesting writing/atmosphere.
Second game seems vastly improved on the gameplay side but to go way too far on the fanservice side, which is a shame and hopefully not linked to a change of direction at Gust, since Blue Reflection has the same issue.

one can just hope nintendo would shift to switch. games like hey pikmin or ever oasis really wont do well on 3ds.

Hey Pikmin is already above 100k sales in Japan and is still charting. EO debuted at 15k and had zero legs. So it is hard to compare those 2. I think EO flop mostly shows there is zero market for this kind of new IP in Japan. Don't think Switch would have change something.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Comgnet was on target with 3DS/PS4 split and 3DS rapid increase of interest at last days before launch. Sales might not be so high for second week but don't be surprised if you see a big difference in favor of 3DS, unlike what YSO expects.

Oh yeah I think comgnet is great- I just don't think you can just literally extract exact numbers and say "well, DQXI sold X this week"

Top Bottom