• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nah. I kind of see Skyrim being the most we'll see out of anything from Zenimax.

Thats not how it usually works though - unless you are assuming Skyrim flops.

I dont expect TEW within on Switch, but i also wont say what is and it isnt possible this early in a consoles life. You can bet your ass that they will try to port other games over to Switch is Skyrim is a success. Next top might be Fall Out 4 if they can get it on Switch.

sense

We already know that SE will bring everything that is possible on the machine to Switch, we also know that other KH3 versions besides the ones already announced arent happening at launch.

JRPGs are a large percentage of SE output - they cant and dont want to only rely on Sony to sell their games, since the Xbox is a non-factor and they are still building up their presence on PC/Steam.

@Predictions

+100k for Snack World would be actually pretty solid...hmm.
I don't think kh3 or next mainline final fantasy is going to come to switch. i also don't see square's western studio marvel games, tomb raider etc.... will come to switch. Maybe ff7r has a chance if the scope isn't too big or if they make customized version ala 3ds dq11

Kyoufu

I dont expect TEW within on Switch, but i also wont say what is and it isnt possible this early in a consoles life. You can bet your ass that they will try to port other games over to Switch is Skyrim is a success. Next top might be Fall Out 4 if they can get it on Switch.

I'm gonna have to agree with Hero of Legend. I mean, Wii U also had one and done publisher support and poor sales aside, weak hardware didn't help its cause in the AAA scene. Bethesda makes AAA games and it's easy to see western AAA games skipping Switch for the most part because of weaker hardware.

Nintendo probably wasn't concerned about this because it'd be nothing new for them and expect Japan + Indies to carry the system.

hiska-kun

That'd be an pretty decent debut for The Snack World (higher than Yokai Watch and Inazuma). Of course it remains to be seen if it's more Yokai Watch, Inazuma Eleven or Little Battlers (which opened pretty decently but had no real staying power) when it comes to legs.

Some of you are forgetting that Inazuma Eleven and Yo-kai Watch debuted without Anime, and exploded later when started airing.
While in the case of Snack World, the Anime has been airing for half a year, so a future explosion in sales is unlikely.

Alrus

Only ~100k for DQXI either version? Is this game always so front loaded?

That's for next week.

Some of you are forgetting that Inazuma Eleven and Yo-kai Watch debuted without Anime, and exploded later when started airing.
While in the case of Snack World, the Anime has been airing for half a year, so a future explosion in sales is unlikely.

Yeah I know, but isn't the anime slowly gaining traction recently? And if the game is good isn't there a chance that both could feed off each other and attain decent sales nonetheless?

Rncewind

the game that even cant run well on base xbox and ps4? i highly doubt that. I am also pretty sure something like FFVIIR is not gonna be less demanding then FF XV

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, I think the class of games that barely function on PS4/XB1 are probably not where I'd be looking.

The Evil Within 2 even still seems to be idtech5 instead of idtech6, so I imagine it also runs like garbage on those platforms on top of being 50 GB.

I'm also expecting FF7R to be a 2020+ cross gen game with the PS5 at this point given the developer Switch suggests they're starting a lot of stuff over, and the hiring note suggests they don't even have a full development team for the thing.

The nigh assured generation switch for games starting development in 2017 does put some amount of damper on the Switch's future support.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not that is much consolation, but IdTech 5 performed much better on Nvidia than AMD. I ran TEW maxed at 1440p on a 7704GB back in the day.

Rncewind

Yeah, I think the class of games that barely function on PS4/XB1 are probably not where I'd be looking.

The Evil Within 2 even still seems to be idtech5 instead of idtech6, so I imagine it also runs like garbage on those platforms on top of being 50 GB.

I'm also expecting FF7R to be a 2020+ cross gen game with the PS5 at this point given the developer Switch suggests they're starting a lot of stuff over, and the hiring note suggests they don't even have a full development team for the thing.

Yeah that was my line of thought as well, there are alot of Big budget games clearly already in full proudction without Switch being a target at all while arround 2018 they are gonna be games with target specs of a ps5

while things like mhw or persona5 that are not that high targeted to begin with should not be that of a hassle, like i said, i highly doubt there are gonna be that much effort or sense in downporting alot of games, which is already the most ineffecient ports to begin with

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The Snack World launches in time for Obon, first and second week aren't representative of game's legs and final sales.

Like Golden Week there will be sharp drops for everything, hardware and software related, after week 33. Switch is a question since its sales depend on size of shipments.

If anecdotal comes true and Nintendo indeed prepares big restock for Obon it could be the first time a system tops 100k at that week since 2012 and 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah that was my line of thought as well, there are alot of Big budget games clearly already in full proudction without Switch being a target at all while arround 2018 they are gonna be games with target specs of a ps5

while things like mhw or persona5 that are not that high targeted to begin with should not be that of a hassle, like i said, i highly doubt there are gonna be that much effort or sense in downporting alot of games, which is already the most ineffecient ports to begin with
We can see it happening already due to service games.

Anthem's high end art assets aren't being built for the marginal X1X audience. They're being built for the PS5/XB4 as they will wheel out during the game's 3+ year lifecycle.

Similarly, to move back to Square Enix, I'm not expecting their Marvel games to be built with scaling down in mind, whereas games like Dragon Quest Builders are a totally logical fit to be on everything.

LordKano

By the way, I guess we won't have another Level 5 Vision this year ? I know it's not always annual but there's quite a lot of their projects that went MIA or we simply know nothing about.

Minsc

Gold Member

The nigh assured generation switch for games starting development in 2017 does put some amount of damper on the Switch's future support.

There's always the possibility of porting to the 2nd generation Switch, if we're talking ~2020 or later release (really, Switch should probably get a hardware revision with CPU/GPU bump in 4 or so years, I'd hope), surely a second generation of hardware in the Switch could do better at running later gen PS4-level games.

ksamedi

The thing is, It would be easy for Nintendo to add a Switch enchancer dock by that time or maybe a Switch XL. rhey have a pretty flexible base console to work from and can offer cheap expansions to it.

There's always the possibility of porting to the 2nd generation Switch, if we're talking ~2020 or later release (really, Switch should probably get a hardware revision with CPU/GPU bump in 4 or so years, I'd hope), surely a second generation of hardware in the Switch could do better at running later gen PS4-level games.

Nvidia's mobile chip tech right now that can feasibly catch up to PS4/Xbox in a manner better than the Switch could, in theory, might have enough of a price down in manufacturing years from now for Nintendo to incorporate them into the next iteration of the Switch, I can't imagine them trying for another 5+ years of being that below the competition like they did with the Wii and just upgrading to a normal Pascal chip further down.

Rncewind

Nvidia's mobile chip tech right now that can feasibly catch up to PS4/Xbox in a manner better than the Switch could, in theory, might have enough of a price down in manufacturing years from now for Nintendo to incorporate them into the next iteration of the Switch, I can't imagine them trying for another 5+ years of being that below the competition like they did with the Wii and just upgrading to a normal Pascal chip further down.

assuming we are talking about mobile, this would be a) a very pricey revision B) a very strange one when the base version seemingly not can play a bunch of the games

this would be more a succesor

Probably too early to discuss the next system, but I guess Nintendo could probably release every hardware revision with added power like mobile every other year.
They might be making games forward combatible with adaptive resolutions.

So games 3-4 years off/PS5/XB2 might not be impossible.

But again, probably too early

assuming we are talking about mobile, this would be a) a very pricey revision B) a very strange one when the base version seemingly not can play a bunch of the games

this would be more a succesor

That's why I said the tech RIGHT NOW being implemented years down the line for a revision, when manufacturing in bulk for such tech is priced down to a point for it to be feasible for Nintendo to make a Switch with.

I mean we have to see what PS4\XBX2 specs are before we say anything about switch 2 getting games.
Plus it also a matter timing for certain games.
What Nintendo going to have to worry about with switch 2 is games size .

Rncewind

That's why I said the tech RIGHT NOW being implemented years down the line for a revision, when manufacturing in bulk for such tech is priced down to a point for it to be feasible for Nintendo to make a Switch with.

which tech "right now" exactly lets the switch catch up to a eventual ps5 2020?
Also this dont adress point b)

I mean we have to see what PS4\XBX2 specs are before we say anything about switch 2 getting games.

switch has already trouble to get games that are on xbx1.

Minsc

Gold Member
which tech "right now" exactly lets the switch catch up to a eventual ps5 2020?
Also this dont adress point b)

switch has already trouble to get games that are on xbx1.

Why are you saying PS5? I commented on Nirolak's 2020+ reference of FFVIIR being cross-gen, so thus being a PS4 compatible title (which is the discussion of who you quoted, quoted goes back to). Probably too much for the current Switch to handle, but if we're looking at 2021 or so, the second generation Switch most likely could run these trickier later gen PS4 titles that the current Switch cannot.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 669
  2. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 229
  3. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 70
  4. [SWI] Splatoon 2 - 39
  5. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy - 21
  6. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy - 18
  7. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 16
  8. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin - 14
  9. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 11
  10. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 10
  11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 9
  12. [3DS] Pokémon Moon - 8
  13. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 7
  14. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 7
  15. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 6
  16. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 6
  17. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? - 6
  18. [SWI] Arms - 5
  19. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Dual Pack - 5
  20. [3DS] Pokémon Sun - 5
Preorders
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 87
[3DS] The Snack World - 71
[PS4] New Everybody's Golf - 44
[SWI] Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch ver. - 32
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 30
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 27
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 26
[PS4] Sen no Kiseki 3 - 20
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 15
[PS4] Destiny 2 - 12
[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone DX - 11
[PS4] The Evil Within 2 - 11
[PS4] Ark: Survival Evolved - 1
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - 11
[PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season - 10
[SWI] Pokken Tournament DX - 10

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ōkami;245555202 said:
  1. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 669
  2. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 229
  3. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 70
  4. [SWI] Splatoon 2 - 39
  5. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy - 21
  6. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaire's Conspiracy - 18
  7. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 16
  8. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin - 14
  9. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 11
  10. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 10
  11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 9
  12. [3DS] Pokémon Moon - 8
  13. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] - 7
  14. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 7
  15. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 6
  16. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 6
  17. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? - 6
  18. [SWI] Arms - 5
  19. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Dual Pack - 5
  20. [3DS] Pokémon Sun - 5
Preorders
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 87
[3DS] The Snack World - 71
[PS4] New Everybody's Golf - 44
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 30
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 15
[PS4] Destiny 2 - 12
[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone DX - 11
[PS4] The Evil Within 2 - 11
[PS4] Ark: Survival Evolved - 1
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - 11
[PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season - 10
[SWI] Pokken Tournament DX - 10

Obviously it's just comgnet, but that seems kind of low for Splatoon and the split for 2nd week sales between 3DS and PS4 at comgnet seem to be bigger than I expected.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Obviously it's just comgnet, but that seems kind of low for Splatoon and the split for 2nd week sales between 3DS and PS4 at comgnet seem to be bigger than I expected.

On Splatoon 2 remember it appears that a majority of Switch hardware are Splatoon 2 bundles.

Maxinas

What do you guys think are realistic lifetime numbers for Splatoon 2 in Japan? Is 3 million feasible?

3 million is quite possible, would have to wait for this years holiday season to see how its legs hold up. I believe it can reach 3million in Japan no problem.

Yagami_Sama

Ōkami;245555202 said:

Preorders

Small bump for Double Cross on Switch ? Last time I saw was 25 or something if I recall correctly.

And no signs of the Switch version of Nights of Azure 2.

Xbro

Small bump for Double Cross on Switch ? Last time I saw was 25 or something if I recall correctly.

And no signs of the Switch version of Nights of Azure 2.

Haven't been checking the progression, but I think MHXX is pretty consistent in gaining points, however small the increment is.

Terrell

We can see it happening already due to service games.

Anthem's high end art assets aren't being built for the marginal X1X audience. They're being built for the PS5/XB4 as they will wheel out during the game's 3+ year lifecycle.

Similarly, to move back to Square Enix, I'm not expecting their Marvel games to be built with scaling down in mind, whereas games like Dragon Quest Builders are a totally logical fit to be on everything.

If we're talking about the Japanese publishers, it might be best not to bring a Western game in as an example. Japan has a long history of not being up for cross-gen if it doesn't make business sense for them. Cross-gen PS3/PS4 titles took longer to appear than you would expect, for example.

I'm also expecting FF7R to be a 2020+ cross gen game with the PS5 at this point given the developer switch suggests they're starting a lot of stuff over, and the hiring note suggests they don't even have a full development team for the thing.

... and it also makes an assumption that Sony is ready to get off the PS4 train. They're market leader, their console is actually making them money, people are happy with the content they're getting. Every generation reset runs the risk of you giving up your comfortable good position to become the also-ran. Microsoft knows that all too well and all things considered, Sony should, too. All we have to indicate that PS5 will happen by 2019 is a bunch of analysts saying so, and well... they've been wrong about this sort of thing before.

Evil Within 2 and Anthem are games by Western publishers that have different interests than the Japanese publishers do. Anthem and EW2 being stretched thin on PS4 could equally be a sign that PC is the target platform and the developer/publisher being unwilling to scale it any further back on console, even if a performance hit happens, because PS4Pro and Xbox One X exist to let them promote it as being slightly closer to on par with the target platform and it'll still look good in marketing screenshots (because let's not pretend that performance has ever been a top priority for some publishers).

Switch being introduced essentially mid-gen presents an issue to Japanese publishers: if it continues to sell in every region, it presents itself as a means to address all markets like PS4 does. And considering how Japanese developers almost completely sat out the first 1-2 years of PS4 aside from a very small handful of content, I can imagine that trend will continue. So there is this possibility that Japan will drag this generation on a long while with content that can be played on PS4 and Switch until they see how the upcoming generation shakes out, rather like they did with PS4.

I mean, if we're talking hypotheticals, that's a pretty possible scenario.

There's also this: the fact that we have no idea where Nintendo will go with their new device strategy in the future and how that could up-end things in Japan. There's just way too many variables.

Eolz

Given how the Switch is a success right now, and how nvidia was happy with their partnership even before release, I'm sure they're already looking at making a good evolution of the Tegra chip next.
Of course that doesn't mean there would or wouldn't be a full on stationary platform this time, the SCD or some different dock, if the platform strategy would change or not, but that should at least lead us to a decent evolution of the Switch after that.
edit: the HW being what it is, I don't see the Switch having some super long life really. Outside of existing at the same time as its successor I mean, which will likely be the case.

Switch vs 3DS (almost there)
switch.jpg

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |    Nintendo 3DS   |   Nintendo Switch |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2011/02/26)   |    (2017/03/03)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   NSW - 3DS  | 
|  20|   22.943|1.211.278|   31.906|1.097.987|      -113.291|
|  21|   46.637|1.257.915|   98.999|1.196.986|       -60.929|
|  22|   31.826|1.289.741|   89.314|1.286.300|        -3.441|
|  23|   16.415|1.306.156|         |         |              |
|  24|    4.132|1.310.288|         |         |              |
|  25|  196.077|1.506.365|         |         |              |
|  26|  105.639|1.612.004|         |         |              |
|  27|   60.781|1.672.785|         |         |              |
|  28|   54.744|1.727.529|         |         |              |
|  29|   49.076|1.776.605|         |         |              |
|  30|   58.837|1.835.442|         |         |              |
|  31|   70.159|1.905.601|         |         |              |

how much did the 3DS end up doing in its first year? Any other comparisons to other Nintendo consoles?

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

01./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./21. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Switch Splatoon 2 Set) <BUN> (Nintendo)
04./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom)
05./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./04. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
07./00. [PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
08./00. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 1 & 2 Special Edition <ADV> (Capcom)
09./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
10./07. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko, Dokonan Desu? <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
11./10. [NSW] ARMS <FTG> (Nintendo)
12./09. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
13./05. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
14./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
15./08. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./17. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two)
17./23. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo)
18./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
19./15. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
20./22. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

01./01. [3DS] The Snack World <RPG> (Level 5)
02./00. [PS4] Senran Kagura Burst - Re:Newal (Ny&#363; Ny&#363; DX Pack) <ACT> (Marvelous)
03./03. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
04./00. [PS4] .hack//G.U. - Last Recode (Premium Edition) <RPG> (Bandai Namco)
05./08. [PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season <ACT> (Square Enix)
06./10. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
07./04. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
08./12. [PS4] ARK: Survival Evolved <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
09./09. [PS4] NBA 2K18 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive)
10./07. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

hiska-kun

how much did the 3DS end up doing in its first year? Any other comparisons to other Nintendo consoles?

5 million. 3DS was the fastest best selling system in one year in Japan.

___

In two weeks, when the 3DS price cut starts in the comparison, I will update the graph adding PSP, Wii & NDS (no need for PS4, Wii U & Vita anymore).

Top Bottom