• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Oregano

Ouch, Toukiden 2 is already out of the top 20. What a disaster that's been for K-T.

Don't worry, they're Concentrating on the West(tm).;)

I honestly wonder how much sales in the West will have to decrease to make up for the declines in Japan for PS Ecosystem games. It can't be easy.

mao2

I wonder if KOF was a success for SNK, it sold slightly less than XIII did, while also not having an arcade revenue.

In the other hand, I don't know if this game was cheaper to produce than XIII which is infamous for his expensive sprites, but also we have to consider that part of the development budget must be associated with KOF 12
Now that KOFXIV is 3D, I guess they can profit from selling costume DLCs and such.

Orgen

At least the first real shortage week for PS4! And the usual suspects with the snarky comments like clockwork... bwahahaha

hiska-kun

I will update more comparisons later. For the moment, Dragon Ball Fusions is the best performing game in 3DS.

Dragon Ball 3DS

dragonball_zpsnqiawedy.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
True I'm mainly questioning this approach because it seems like an unnecessary risk. This isn't a normal slim transition. People know about the Neo's existence which will inevitable eat into it's sales especially when they'll both probably be announced at the at the same time but released at different times. Your essentially delaying sales until the slim and then have portion of that delaying their purchases until the Neo. I question the advantages of this.
The PS4 Slim is likely releasing in a week or two, so there isnt much delay there in that case. We dont know when the Neo is shipping. If it was up to Sony, we wouldnt have heard of the Neo. I think Andrew House felt that he had to acknowledge its excistence because of the rumors to tone down expectations for E3.

Oregano

who would've guessed that designing a hunting game for home consoles first would be a bad idea

¯_(ツ)_/¯

The power of Capcom is unprecedented.

The two parts of your post are at odds haha. Capcom figured out consoles weren't worth shit for hunting games five years ago.

Kyoufu

who would've guessed that designing a hunting game for home consoles first would be a bad idea

I don't see how Toukiden 2 being a Vita exclusive would magically sell gangbusters. It's not like MH clones on Vita had done very well even before PS4 launched.

sense

No many people in Japan are even buying the PS4 it's getting beaten consistently by a console that's about to be replaced

lets compare a handheld to a home console twice as expensive in a market where handheld is dominant and moving predominantly towards mobile.

ToB should reach 350k in the end with digital.

The fuck happened to the PS4, I understand Sony has essentially stopped shipping them to stores in Japan and most stores are sold out but the PS Slim and Neo aren't even announced yet. It makes no sense to completely kill momentum like that for a system consumers shouldn't even know about. What happens if the slim isn't as popular as Sony hopes

The slim is replacing the previous model. Its going to cheaper as well and iirc going to release in 3 weeks.

Tripon

10./00. [PS3] The King of Fighters XIII (SNK Playmore) {2011.12.01} (¥7.140) - 21.525 / NEW

04./00. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore) {2016.08.25} (¥7.200) - 20.655 / NEW

That's not too bad.
KoF xiii had an arcade release. KoF XIV didn't.

The fuck happened to the PS4, I understand Sony has essentially stopped shipping them to stores in Japan and most stores are sold out but the PS Slim and Neo aren't even announced yet. It makes no sense to completely kill momentum like that for a system consumers shouldn't even know about. What happens if the slim isn't as popular as Sony hopes

Weeks before the launch of PS3 Slim

PS3 5,826
PS3 5,944
PS3 2,022
PS3 1,040
Slim launch 151,783

This is completely normal when there is new revision coming (with price drop too).

BadWolf

I wonder if KOF was a success for SNK, it sold slightly less than XIII did, while also not having an arcade revenue.

In the other hand, I don't know if this game was cheaper to produce than XIII which is infamous for his expensive sprites, but also we have to consider that part of the development budget must be associated with KOF 12

Would be very surprised if it was more expensive than XIII/XII, those sprites took years to make.

XIV's total development time was a little over two years, and they were setting the base for creating future games so they will benefit from whatever tech they came up with for XIV for their next project.

KoF xiii had an arcade release. KoF XIV didn't.

XIII console version is very, very different from the original arcade release. It was more of a KOF13.5 with a full rebalance of the roster, new characters and stages. This version of the game came to arcades much later.

hiska-kun

I don't see how Toukiden 2 being a Vita exclusive would magically sell gangbusters. It's not like MH clones on Vita had done very well even before PS4 launched.

Toukiden sold 250k on Vita and 400k LTD if we add the PSP version.

Now it didn't reach 100k on Vita lol

wrowa

I guess you're right. It would still make me feel bad if I work 3 years on a game that nobody's going to play.

They used to be a developer of cheap licensed games, they sure have experience with developing games no one wants to play. :x

BriBri

As stated in the previous thread, Metroid Prime: Federation Force eShop sales are truly diabolical (#18 amongst download versions).

I quite possibly could be the only person to have bought it on the eShop!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Right, but everything is down since then. Not even Final Fantasy is expected to sell as much or as close as it used to.

Since when, Toukiden came out 3 years ago.

Koei Tecmo killed it before its time by trying to move a handheld franchise to PS4.

Tripon

Would be very surprised if it was more expensive than XIII/XII, those sprites took years to make.

XIV's total development time was a little over two years, and they were setting the base for creating future games so they will benefit from whatever tech they came up with for XIV for their next project.

XIII console version is very, very different from the original arcade release. It was more of a KOF13.5 with a full rebalance of the roster, new characters and stages. This version of the game came to arcades much later.

XIII still had a possible split userbase for its auidence. No such claim for KOF XIV.

Of course, a part of this is the KoF brand has gone into a lull, so KoF XIV is the start of the rebranding. So maybe KoF Xv is what benefits.

Oregano

Already leaked, lol.

I know about the Brazil leak but I want it actually announced.

Alot of posts in this thread are basically loweredexpectations.jpg, especially the celebration of Berseria eventually reaching Zestirias first week.

Ridley327

I think that's a fair observation. Outside of God Eater (which itself seems to have issues staying relevant with how far apart entries are becoming), there haven't been too many hunting action titles that haven't been stillborn in some way. Soul Sacrifice has been done for a while, Toukiden has sabotaged itself with what little buzz it did have and Freedom Wars can't even claim itself to be a has-been since it never-was.

I know why Sony went after everything Monster Hunter-alike so hard, but let's be real: without the big shark, the lampreys had nothing to latch onto.

Yasumi

Banned
Exclusivity isn't the issue. The Vita version runs like crap because it was designed as an open-world console game and they didn't optimize it very well. They pretty much threw their strongest audience under the bus.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why GE2 sold as much as GE1 then?
The everything is down excuse to justify sales...
God Eater 2 was released nearly 3 years ago. But regarding Toukiden 2, what would be the reason for it to sell a lot more if it was a Vita exclusive? What would the draw be compared to it being multiplatform? Or is the reason that it would have been designed differently if it was for Vita only?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Weeks before the launch of PS3 Slim

PS3 5,826
PS3 5,944
PS3 2,022
PS3 1,040
Slim launch 151,783

This is completely normal when there is new revision coming (with price drop too).
I'm questioning this because of the simulataneous advertisement but delayed launch of the neo that has the potential of eating into that and slims sales in general a month of this and an potnetially underperforming slim doesn't sound like a combination you'd want. Selling more slims obvious has it's advantages but delaying console sales on a console where software sales are extremely poor doesn"t sound like a something that will help that yo the degree you's want.

Kyoufu

Why GE2 sold as much as GE1 then?
The everything is down excuse to justify sales...

I'm not justifying sales. They're shit, but let's not pretend it's just the hunting clone genre that's on a decline. It's shit across the board on PlayStation systems, handheld and console and that's been the case for quite some time.

BadWolf

XIII still had a possible split userbase for its auidence. No such claim for KOF XIV.

Seems you might not know how little impact the original arcade version of XIII had, it was a pretty broken game (in terms of balance). The game was pretty much dead.

It was only after the console release that it started getting some momentum.

Tripon

Seems you might not know how little impact the original arcade version of XIII had, it was a pretty broken game (in terms of balance). The game was pretty much dead.

It was only after the console release that it started getting some momentum.
You're right, I don't.

Takao

Banned

There's a place between a game being exclusive to Vita and the game looking like a PSP game on Vita because it was designed for a much more powerful platform. Koei Tecmo decided the latter was the best course of action.

I never said the game sold gangbusters on Vita, but the numbers say Koei Tecmo's strategy for Toukiden 2 was a complete failure:

PSV Toukiden: The Age of Demons 127.744 248.923 Koei Tecmo 6/27/2013
PSP Toukiden: The Age of Demons 70.268 158.233 Koei Tecmo 6/27/2013
Total: 407.156

PSV Toukiden: Kiwami 100.073 161.059 Koei Tecmo 8/28/2014
PSP Toukiden: Kiwami 13.518 33.503 Koei Tecmo 8/28/2014
PS4 Toukiden: Kiwami 5.401 5.401 Koei Tecmo 4/23/2015
Total: 199.963

PSV Toukiden 2 64.169 96.261 Koei Tecmo 7/28/2016
PS4 Toukiden 2 55.771 79.735 Koei Tecmo 7/28/2016
PS3 Toukiden 2 7.235 9.402 Koei Tecmo 7/28/2016
Total: 185.398

Do you really think Toukiden 2 would still be selling closer to Kiwami than the original if it was designed for the main audience interested in hunting games? I know you're extremely thirsty for any sort of hunting game on PS4, but get a grip.

Maniel

Banned
Well on the bright side of this week. Tales had a decent hold for the series. Maybe 350k is still within reach.

horuhe

Quite surprised YW3 still manages to reign #1

Well, it's not impressive if we count that still 150k to be sold. The game is, actually, discounted at 30%. Now, that summer holidays definitely ended, the game will suffer a lot to sell those 150k left for the second shipment. I can totally see at the end of September, the game being halfpriced.

There's a place between a game being exclusive to Vita and the game looking like a PSP game on Vita because it was designed for a much more powerful platform. Koei Tecmo decided the latter was the best course of action.

I never said the game sold gangbusters on Vita, but the numbers say Koei Tecmo's strategy for Toukiden 2 was a complete failure:

PSV Toukiden: The Age of Demons 127.744 248.923 Koei Tecmo 6/27/2013
PSP Toukiden: The Age of Demons 70.268 158.233 Koei Tecmo 6/27/2013
Total: 407.156

PSV Toukiden: Kiwami 100.073 161.059 Koei Tecmo 8/28/2014
PSP Toukiden: Kiwami 13.518 33.503 Koei Tecmo 8/28/2014
PS4 Toukiden: Kiwami 5.401 5.401 Koei Tecmo 4/23/2015
Total: 199.963

PSV Toukiden 2 64.169 96.261 Koei Tecmo 7/28/2016
PS4 Toukiden 2 55.771 79.735 Koei Tecmo 7/28/2016
PS3 Toukiden 2 7.235 9.402 Koei Tecmo 7/28/2016
Total: 185.398

Do you really think Toukiden 2 would still be selling closer to Kiwami than the original if it was designed for the main audience interested in hunting games? I know you're extremely thirsty for any sort of hunting game on PS4, but get a grip.

lmao that's rekt. Ive been playing toukiden kiwami on vita even though i bought it on ps4 and vita.

Kyoufu

Do you really think Toukiden 2 would still be selling closer to Kiwami than the original if it was designed for the main audience interested in hunting games?

I think the audience still interested in hunting games on Vita aren't as "plentiful" now as they were earlier in the system's lifespan, which wasn't great to begin with. A decline in sales would have happened no matter how they designed the game.

But yes, Toukiden 2's sales are disastrous.

I still can't help but wonder what would have happened if Bandai Namco and Tecmo Koei did decide to port the PSP versions of God Eater 2 and Toukiden to 3DS in addition to Vita. Would they have been much more successful on 3DS because of Monster Hunter being on 3DS? I think so personally.

Kyoufu

A decline for a Vita designed Toukiden 2 would propably happen, a collapse like now no.

I guess that's basically what I'm trying to say, but poorly worded, so my apologies for that.

I just wonder what Sony plans to do with their handheld business in Japan because the way I see it, 3rd parties have no future on Vita with the NX coming.

Alo0oy

Banned
The PS4 slim is like some people's first experience with a slimmer cheaper console, I don't understand the confusion!

It will sell significantly more than the Neo too, it's the same reason people on message boards obsess about 3 pixels and 5 frames, yet multiplats sell like 3-5 times better on low end consoles than on PC.

The Neo was made for enthusiasts, they are a small minority that populate gaming boards, and that includes Japan, the Slim will sell better than the regular old PS4 and the Neo.

Tripon

Looking at Toukiden 2, I'm surprised that the strategy was design for PS4, and downport to Vita instead of design for Vita, and upport to PS4.

sense

I guess that's basically what I'm trying to say, but poorly worded, so my apologies for that.

I just wonder what Sony plans to do with their handheld business in Japan because the way I see it, 3rd parties have no future on Vita with the NX coming.

Believe in PlayStation Trinity :)

Oregano

I still can't help but wonder what would have happened if Bandai Namco and Tecmo Koei did decide to port the PSP versions of God Eater 2 and Toukiden to 3DS in addition to Vita. Would they have been much more successful on 3DS because of Monster Hunter being on 3DS? I think so personally.

It would have obviously added sales but I think God Eater and Toukiden benefitted from being perceived as technically superior.

PS Trinity incoming.

On a real note if developers migrate to NX(and that's if IMO) then it will be a slow transition and more importantly to Sony no one is going to drop PS4.

Raylan

Banned
And how many of those same people would be interested in a Neo a system that will be marketed at the same time and will have actual advantages over the PS4. Unless we assume the Neo is complete DoA it will eat into the slim's sales. What's the advantage of doing it this way
Japan regarding consoles = has to be cheap
Sony doesn't care if dude X buys a PS4 Slim or a PS4 Neo. In the end, he bought a PS4 for PS4 games. Software generates the money for Sony, not console hardware.

Shizuka

Toukiden 2 should've been a 3DS/PSV title (PSV being the main platform and 3DS being a downport), instead of what it was.

Celine

A sizeable chunk of sales from third-party hunting games released 3 years ago on Vita like God Eater 2 and Toukiden came from the PSP version.
Now that PSP isn't a viable platform anymore, they are trying to move to PS4 but it's not the same (obviously) and Vita is declining.

Fisico

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

02./01. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 24.057 / 197.593 (-86%)
07./02. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 15.262 / 91.447 (-80%)

01./01 [PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 39.319 / 289.040 (-84%)

First shipment according to M-C

[PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 197.875
[PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 88.403
[PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 286.278

Both are cleared by now,

Tales of Xillia, Xillia 2 and Zestiria all had a ~90% drop 2nd week, with Berseria having a ~84% drop and not having its price slashed it will have better legs than the previous entries.

So for 3rd week

09./02. [PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 22.484 / 595.386 (-52%)
10./04. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.01} (¥8.380) - 12.337 / 411.565 (-65%)
12./03. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 8.225 / 378.602 (-72%)

We should expect something closer to Xillia than Zestiria, both had to clear their shipment something Berseria doesn't have to unless the second shipment was huge, but there's not reason to believe so (probably something between 40-60k).
What's interesting, and maybe worrying, is that the PS3 SKU is the one having a softer drop which means that people holding back for the game are mostly the ones who didn't feel the need to go for the PS4 SKU and therefore don't own a PS4, whether these customers will be on PS4 or not for the next title (in 2018 ?) is another challenge the Tales IP will have to face off to alleviate the non stop dwindling of its fanbase.

3rd week 50% drop
01./00 [PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 19.600/ 308.640

3rd week 60% drop
01./00 [PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 15.800 / 304.840

Regarding overall legs past second week (I wanted to do past third week but unfortunately we're missing famitsu data for Xillia, and for MC I don't know where to check updated LTD numbers)

Additional sales past second week
Tales of Xillia 18%
Tales of Xillia 2 22%
Tales of Zestiria 7%

With the trend being good for Berseria I'd like to believe it'll have additional sales somewhere around 15-25%

15% additional sales
[PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 43.000 / 332.040

25% additional sales
[PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 72.000 / 361.040

With the projected digital sales around ~20k for first month the game might even have a chance to outsell Zestiria PS3 LTD in the end.

Top Bottom