• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Fisico

When did we get updated Zestiria PS4 sales? Just curious.

The steam number is from Steamspy
For PS3 PS4 I had access to NPD and GFK for 2015's data which were 147k for PS4 and 34k for PS3 NA+EMEA.

180k 40k is a projection of updated numbers on my side, could be more could be less but it gives a rough idea.

Stefarno

I thought Project Diva X sales would be bad... but cripes.

Code:
02./00. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (SEGA) - 101,414 / NEW
02./00.	[PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 2 (Sega) - 241.467 / NEW
01./00. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend <ACT> (Sega) {2011.11.10} (¥5.299) - 184.673 / NEW

01./00. [PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f # <ACT> (Sega) {2012.08.30} (¥7.329) - 159.592 / NEW
01./00. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f <ACT> (Sega) {2013.03.07} (¥7.329) - 110.229 / NEW 
[PSV+PS3] 269.821

01./00. [PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) {2014.03.27} (¥7.350) - 98.628 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd <ACT> (Sega) {2014.03.27} (¥7.350) - 59.965 / NEW
[PSV+PS3] 158.593

03./00. [PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X <ACT> (Sega) {2016.03.24} (¥6.990) - 69.438 / NEW
08./00. [PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD <ACT> (Sega) {2016.08.25} (¥7.990) - 12.915 / NEW
[PSV+PS4] 82.353

I guess a Project Mirai 3 on NX is our only hope for a future Miku game?

Vena

For PS3 PS4 I had access to NPD and GFK for 2015's data which were 147k for PS4 and 34k for PS3 NA+EMEA.

180k 40k is a projection of updated numbers on my side, could be more could be less but it gives a rough idea.

Ahh okay, last numbers I had seen were from cream waaay back when when it opened at a combined sales figure of 58k at NPD. Bit weird that it moved that much since then, no?

Comparatively, Steam opened at ~80k and had a free game.

Keep up that strategy, Nintendo. Developing a slew of random low-budget spin-offs instead of a smaller number of big titles has been a tremendous success. There was no better way to use their resources than using them on games like The Legend of Zelda: TriFlop Heroes, Chibi Bomba: Zip-Lash, Animal Crossing: amiibomb Floptival and Metroid Bomb: Federation Flop.

Vena

Keep up that strategy, Nintendo. Developing a slew of random low-budget spin-offs instead of a smaller number of big titles has been a tremendous success. There was no better way to use their resources than using them on games like The Legend of Zelda: TriFlop Heroes, Chibi Bomba: Zip-Lash, Animal Crossing: amiibomb Floptival and Metroid Bomb: Federation Flop.

TLoZ:TF and AC:HHD both sold very, very well.

So I am not sure you've identified the issue here and are trying to make a shit generalization. Its not the budget, its the end product and IP utilization that matters. Some of these products were just nonsensically bad IP utilization and projects from the onset which were destined to and deserved to burn.

casiopao

For all those flops, we would get huge success like AC: HHD and TFH lol.

AC:HHD sales: 3 mil
TLZ:TFH: 1.1 mil

Many other games would dream to reach those number here.

BriBri

Great contribution.

And Pocket Monsters RGBY sales were 63,780 (total) 23,177 (eShop) from 27 June - 31 July.

Shahed

Ahh okay, last numbers I had seen were from cream waaay back when when it opened at a combined sales figure of 58k at NPD. Bit weird that it moved that much since then, no?

Isn't that Steam number worldwide while that 58k US only? Tales supposedly does well in France and better in Europe in general (read this somewherebut don't have a source) but lets just assume the same that would mean 116k across both regions. Now the gap to LTD isn't all that different and Steam still has the better legs.

Oregano

I'm almost willing to bet that there's a big Metroid game in development for NX and if Nintendo could/would have shown that alongside FF the backlash would have been nowhere as severe.

Shizuka

Hahahahahahaha. Federation Force couldn't even beat a shit-tier Idea Factory Vita release?

You gotta know your audience, at least one of those two companies are aware of their audience.

Weird that you'd call a game shit without knowing it, but that's subject for another discussion altogether.

MacTag

Banned
Isn't that Steam number worldwide while that 58k US only? Tales supposedly does well in France and better in Europe in general (read this somewherebut don't have a source) but lets just assume the same that would mean 116k across both regions. Now the gap to LTD isn't all that different and Steam still has the better legs.
Tales doing better in Europe must be a recent phenomenon. Symphonia, Vesperia and Xillia all did much better in the US iirc.

Bebpo

Banned
I think Miku bombed because of Future Tone. Sega really didn't want to release Future Tone (aka digital release only) and it makes sense why. FT has 224 songs for 8000yen. After that, fans going back to paying 6000-8000yen for a 30 song game is lol

FT probably killed the franchise. If they were smart they'd release it on a disc and make money supplementing it through monthly DLC for years like a Japanese Rock Band equivalent.

Also while KoF14 sold about as much as KoF13, didn't KoF13's low sales almost put the company out of business again and cause them to get bought by another company again? If so I wouldn't use that as a barometer of healthy sales.

duckroll

I'm almost willing to bet that there's a big Metroid game in development for NX and if Nintendo could/would have shown that alongside FF the backlash would have been nowhere as severe.

With all their resources on Zelda? I wouldn't count on it.

duckroll

Is Zelda the only game Nintendo is releasing for NX? If not I don't see the issue because Metroid and Zelda teams have never overlapped.

How many big single player games have you seen Nintendo make at the same time? I mean, if it's by Retro or some third party like Team Ninja, sure, it's possible. Maybe Platinum is making a Metroid game! Hurrr. Otherwise I don't see it honestly.

Tales games go on sale all the time on consoles DD.
So it could also pick up some extra sales there.

Oregano

How many big single player games have you seen Nintendo make at the same time? I mean, if it's by Retro or some third party like Team Ninja, sure, it's possible. Maybe Platinum is making a Metroid game! Hurrr. Otherwise I don't see it honestly.

Nintendo could easily collaborate with (an) outside developer(s). Other than that Nintendo has significantly grown and restructured.

Edit: Hell even Next Level Games could be working on it considering they have developed multiple games in tandem in the past(including HD games). That's a hypothetical example though not a prediction.

Well the PS4 SKU already had a softer drop than usual for Tales so while it may have happen I don't think it will be noticeable enough to really care.

The point is also that these people would have been probably informed that the PS3 version was more than good enough (or didn't care and went for the PS3 version anyway), if they didn't bought a PS4 until then will they really think that it's worth waiting a few weeks for a hardware that wasn't even officially announced ?

Well even still considering how next Tales of is probably at least 2 years away I don't see this situation as problematic. By then PS4 will have had decent amount of big JRPG releases (Persona, FFXV, DQXI, maybe KHIII?) and even the more casual userbase of Tales of should be on the platform.

Well in his post Fisico mentioned GFK so I assume those numbers have both NA and PAL sales. That 58k figure is only for US.

Tales doing better in Europe must be a recent phenomenon. Symphonia, Vesperia and Xillia all did much better in the US iirc.

Do you have you numbers for Xillia? I remember it opening with decent sales in EU (even in UK). Symphonia and Vesperia were on platforms that had way higher installbase in US so it makes sense those did better there.

wrowa

The problem is that this game was greenlit. It was in the weird position Nintendo unveiled it but also greenlit it. It was a product that never made sense in the begining.

This is really the most puzzling aspect of Federation Force to me: Who was supposed to be the audience for the game?

Regardless how I look at it, I can't make a lot of sense of it.

Was it supposed to appeal to Metroid fans? Then this only underlines the theory that Nintendo doesn't quite understand what fans like about the franchise. You didn't need to be an expert to realize that a cooperative squad shooter wouldn't be appealing to most Metroid fans.

Or was it never meant to appeal to Metroid fans and instead only tried to benefit from a known brand? It's possible Nintendo looked at the kind of multiplayer FPS that are popular in the west and came to the conclusion that they also want this kind of game on their platform. But even then you don't have to be an expert to come to the conclusion that the 3DS is a particularly poor fit for this kind of game.

It's ironic. This was in all likelihood meant to be a game that appeals to western audiences and yet NoA and NoE probably always knew that they've got a game on their hands that is destined to flop.

To add to this, I do think Nintendo reacted to Federation Force's poor reception: By cutting back their marketing efforts to a bare minimum following Federation Force's initial reveal.

And, to be honest, I think that was the right decision. They could have tried to rework the game based around fan feedback, but I think this is one of these cases where the underlying game was just so particularly unappealing that whatever they could have done would have cost them more money than they would eventually have made back. So, instead of doing that, they just cut their losses.

Shahed

They also had a release date several months apart between regions and on platforms that did far better in America than Europe bar Xillia. Heck I remember waiting practically a year for Vesperia (August to July following year). I also read somewhere that their European branch handles the series in the West now instead of the US for that reason.

But like I said I don't have a source so who knows how true all that is. My main point was the Vena was equating worldwide Steam numbers to US only Playstation numbers at and then seemed surprised how similar they were LTD.

wrowa

When was the last time one of Nintendo's internal teams developed a Metroid (on their own)? Metroid Zero Mission more than 10 years ago? Even if a big new 3D Metroid is in development, its development would almost certainly be outsourced (or done by Retro / one of their affiliates).

Berseria is far better than Zestiria. It'll doing better WW and Steam.

JRPG franchises usually drop quite a bit on Steam once a second game gets released. The first time around, they attract lapsed fans and people who buy a game out of curiosity since a somewhat known franchise made it to PC after so many years.

By the time a sequel gets released, you are back to the people who aren't just curios but actually like what they played.

Berseria could benefit from good word of mouth, but I assume this would only have an effect in the long run (and once the game becomes cheaper). It'll be interesting to see if Berseria will generally be better received in the west than in Japan, since we now have the benefit to know that Berseria is apparently somewhat of a return to form for the franchise, though.

Yasumi

Banned
I thought Project Diva X sales would be bad... but cripes.

I guess a Project Mirai 3 on NX is our only hope for a future Miku game?
The issue is more that there hasn't been a Project Diva with as much new content as f, since f. The original release had 32 songs, with 7 more added as DLC. None of the songs in f were in previous Project Diva's, apart from the Popipo DLC.

A large portion of f2nd's content was songs from previous games (20/40 of the base songlist, all 16 DLC songs). It was billed as a "greatest hits of the Project Diva series" release, but a drop was kind of expected there.

PDX was mostly new songs (apart from parts of the medleys), but the production values on song videos took a huge hit, they're just stage performances now instead of music videos/stories. Also, the X HD release only added 2 songs from the MikuExpo concert, whereas f->F added 6 fairly popular songs for the time.

Unless they come up with something f-level, Sega's pretty much digging their own hole.

Busaiku

This is why I felt the "Well the problem with Miku is that they didn't have a staggered release!" complaint was off base.

They got a one time benefit from doing that because their audience understood there was a new platform being added, but were right to do simultaneous releases going forward after that.

Staggering releases afterwards wasn't going to be a magical money machine because everyone who wanted the other platform knew to just wait and wasn't going to give Sega twice the money every time.
There are other factors working against the PS4 release though, so it's not a completely fair comparison.

The game changed quite a bit, and places greater emphasis on the "campaign". As a result, it has far fewer songs than any of the games released this gen (dunno how it compares to the PSP games). And yeah, as mentioned above, even the presentation is very different.
The negative reception to this hurt both the Vita release and this.

In addition to this, Future Tone, which has like 8x as many songs came out a month ago.

Red Devil

With all their resources on Zelda? I wouldn't count on it.

I doubt they would've ever thrown the same amount of resources to a Metroid game as they do with a Zelda(among others) even less now. That and if it exists it might not be developed internally. Regardless if such game exists and it's either developed internally or by somebody else there'll be a lot of skepticism towards it.

Vena

Ahh good point, I was completely brain-farting on NPD vs. RotW.

Right, it seems ToZ almost beat Xillia in western sales. NB seemed elated at the 1 million+ Xillia did so Zestiria doing 700k+ is still a good number. I expect Berseria to be 600k-700k though.

TLoZ:TF and AC:HHD both sold very, very well.

So I am not sure you've identified the issue here and are trying to make a shit generalization. Its not the budget, its the end product and IP utilization that matters. Some of these products were just nonsensically bad IP utilization and projects from the onset which were destined to and deserved to burn.

For all those flops, we would get huge success like AC: HHD and TFH lol.

AC:HHD sales: 3 mil
TLZ:TFH: 1.1 mil

Many other games would dream to reach those number here.

Great contribution.

And Pocket Monsters RGBY sales were 63,780 (total) 23,177 (eShop) from 27 June - 31 July.

Did I need to bold the word "random"? Of course spin-offs and low-budget games can sell well. Happy Home Designer (and Captain Toad) are smart spin-offs and, although they were made on a low budget, it's because they're building off a strong, polished engine and graphics foundation. Captain Toad in particular is one of the best-looking games on the Wii U.

And although calling TriForce a flop may be incorrect in the sense that it sold well for what it is, it says more about what it is than about whether it was a particularly smart use of resources for Nintendo. The game sold fine on its own but there was so much room for the 3DS to grow in the West at the time and if they really had to green light a Zelda game, for some reason, there was an opportunity for a much better performance and reception. TriForce Heroes wasn't gonna sell anyone a 3DS and Nintendo should have no trouble finding 15 other projects with the power to sell over a million copies on the 3DS using their IPs. It would be harder coming up with a Zelda title that can't sell one million than coming up with one that can.

Ultimately, cheap spin-offs were, in my opinion, a strategy more fitting for the Wii U than the 3DS. There was no hope of selling much hardware anyway, in the Wii U's case, and big projects would have been limited by the install base, so the best thing to do is to come up with games that could be very profitable by selling a smaller amount of copies. It's a waste of the 3DS' install base however, as they could sell multiple millions of copies with one game. For example, there is just one 3D Mario platformer on the 3DS - actually just one 3D Nintendo platformer - and it came out five years ago and is the fourth best-selling game on the system at nearly 11 million copies sold. That doesn't necessarily mean that I think they should have pulled everyone working on an NX Mario to make 3D Land 2, but it's just a reminder of the system's potential. With the exception of Happy Home Designer, I don't think any of those 3DS spin-offs were good ideas.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

01./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.07.16} (¥4.800) - 40.026 / 1.088.501 <80-100%> (-46%)
02./01. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 26.829 / 186.869 <80-100%> (-83%)
03./00. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore) {2016.08.25} (¥7.200) - 23.242 / NEW <60-80%>
04./03. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 16.652 / 90.704 <80-100%> (-78%)
05./00. [PSV] Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle # <FTG> (Planet G) {2016.08.25} (¥6.980) - 16.129 / NEW <80-100%>
06./00. [PS4] No Man's Sky <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2016.08.25} (¥5.900) - 15.997 / NEW <60-80%>
07./00. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.08.25} (¥6.990) - 15.161 / NEW <40-60%>
08./00. [PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD <ACT> (Sega) {2016.08.25} (¥7.990) - 13.781 / NEW <40-60%>
09./04. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2016.07.28} (¥4.800) - 13.632 / 182.756 <60-80%> (-35%)
10./00. [PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.08.25} (¥6.990) - 11.116 / NEW <20-40%>
11./00. [3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack <Azure Striker Gunvolt \ Azure Striker Gunvolt 2> # <ACT> (Inti Creates) {2016.08.25} (¥4.800) - 8.096 / NEW <60-80%>
12./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.04} (¥5.700) - 7.855 / 130.590 <80-100%> (-40%)
13./07. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2016.06.23} (¥3.600) - 7.741 / 106.890 <80-100%> (-23%)
14./00. [PSV] Meiji Toukyou Renka: Full Moon # <ADV> (5pb.) {2016.08.25} (¥6.800) - 7.408 / NEW <60-80%>
15./06. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.04.28} (¥4.700) - 6.848 / 395.965 <80-100%> (-39%)
16./09. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.571) - 6.311 / 3.069.086 <80-100%> (-28%)
17./00. [PSV] Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2016.08.25} (¥6.300) - 5.181 / NEW <60-80%>
18./10. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.06.23} (¥5.700) - 4.547 / 96.908 <80-100%> (-39%)
19./11. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2016.02.18} (¥4.700) - 4.298 / 230.387 <80-100%> (-39%)
20./00. [3DS] Metroid Prime: Federation Force <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.08.25} (¥4.700) - 4.286 / NEW <20-40%>
21./00. [PSV] Ouma ga Toki: Kakuriyo no Enishi # <ACT> (Nippon Cultural Broadcasting Extended) {2016.08.25} (¥5.800) - 4.199 / NEW <60-80%>
22./12. [3DS] Pokemon Red / Green / Blue / Yellow _3DS Virtual Console Version_ |DL| (Dedicated Download Card Special) <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.02.27} (¥1.389) - 3.975 / 260.134 <80-100%> (-40%)
23./15. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 3.934 / 1.393.722 <80-100%> (-28%)
24./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 3.752 / 759.529 <80-100%> (-25%)
25./13. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2016.08.09} (¥5.900) - 3.490 / 30.505 <60-80%> (-45%)
26./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.03.17} (¥2.700) - 2.956 / 87.739 <80-100%> (-24%)
27./00. [PSV] PuraMai Wars V # <ADV> (Entergram) {2016.08.25} (¥5.980) - 2.869 / NEW <60-80%>
28./14. [PSV] Toukiden 2 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2016.07.28} (¥6.800) - 2.822 / 99.083 <80-100%> (-55%)
29./19. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2016.07.21} (¥4.800) - 2.723 / 42.129 <60-80%> (-34%)
30./22. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.06.16} (¥4.800) - 2.363 / 93.610 <80-100%> (-32%)

Top 30

3DS - 12
PSV - 7
PS4 - 6
WIU - 3
PS3 - 2

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |     20.788 |     26.735 |     47.397 |    884.782 |  1.250.011 |  20.921.738 |
| PSV # |      9.458 |     11.086 |     11.461 |    631.808 |    613.959 |   5.014.225 |
|  PS4  |      6.760 |     19.053 |     17.321 |    882.662 |    679.657 |   3.013.395 |
|  WIU  |      4.157 |      5.623 |     11.499 |    278.754 |    391.269 |   3.222.341 |
|  PS3  |        866 |        944 |      2.308 |     40.302 |    156.646 |  10.247.043 |
|  XB1  |         31 |         40 |        231 |      3.638 |     11.981 |      67.689 |
|  ALL  |     42.060 |     63.481 |     90.217 |  2.721.946 |  3.103.523 |  42.486.431 |

Bruno MB

Prediction League August 2016 Results

Congratulations to:

- Bruno MB, for winning by units!
- Jarod McChicken, for winning by mean error %!

Code:
    BY UNITS                                     BY MEAN ERROR %

1             Bruno MB          116.460      1          Jarod McChicken       35,90%
    2          Jarod McChicken      157.616      2             Bruno MB           36,81%
    3               Aters           177.868      3               Aters            39,71%
    4             casiopao          213.878      4              Yeshua            42,19%
    5               Eolz            238.606      5               DKHF             45,45%
    6              Yeshua           253.878      6             casiopao           45,88%
    7               DKHF            262.868      7               Eolz             63,91%

Code:
                                                     Famitsu    Yeshua     DKHF    casiopao   Aters      Eolz    Bruno MB Jarod McChicken
             [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions              130.590    70.000    85.000   110.000    95.000   [B]130.000[/B]   115.000   100.000
 [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth    104.775   120.000   [B]105.000[/B]   135.000   105.000   151.000   110.000   165.000
          [PS4] Ratchet & Clank: The Game             30.505    [B]30.000[/B]    35.000    20.000    35.000    62.000    40.000    25.000
              [PS4] Tales of Berseria                186.869   220.000   270.000   210.000   220.000   123.000   [B]200.000[/B]   160.000
              [PS3] Tales of Berseria                 90.704    70.000    65.000    60.000    65.000    44.000   105.000    [B]80.000[/B]
  [PS4 + PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den     26.277   150.000   130.000   125.000   105.000    76.000    85.000    [B]50.000[/B]

TOTAL ABS. DIFF.                             253.878   262.868   213.878   177.868   238.606   116.460   157.616
                    MEAN ERROR %                                42,19%    45,45%    45,88%    39,71%    63,91%    36,81%    35,90

Code:
                   STATISTICS                    FAMITSU   GAF_AVG     MIN       MAX               CLOSEST BY
           [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions            130.590   100.714    70.000   130.000            130.000 Eolz
3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth  104.775   127.286   105.000   165.000            105.000 DKHF
        [PS4] Ratchet & Clank: The Game           30.505    35.286    20.000    62.000           30.000 Yeshua
            [PS4] Tales of Berseria              186.869   200.429   123.000   270.000          200.000 Bruno MB
            [PS3] Tales of Berseria               90.704    69.857    44.000   105.000       80.000 Jarod McChicken
[PS4 + PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den   26.277   103.000    50.000   150.000       50.000 Jarod McChicken

Ouch at our Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den predictions, the only one who didn't get the maximum penalty (150% error) was Jarod McChicken.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The real bombs of the week

Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

07./00. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.08.25} (¥6.990) - 15.161 / NEW <40-60%>
08./00. [PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD <ACT> (Sega) {2016.08.25} (¥7.990) - 13.781 / NEW <40-60%>
10./00. [PS3] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom) {2016.08.25} (¥6.990) - 11.116 / NEW <20-40%>
20./00. [3DS] Metroid Prime: Federation Force <ACT> (Nintendo) {2016.08.25} (¥4.700) - 4.286 / NEW <20-40%>

Fisico

For 2015

NA
PS4 Tales of Zestiria
~ 87 000
PS3 Tales of Zestiria
~ 16 000
PS3 + PS4 Tales of Zestiria
~ 103 000

EMEA
PS4 Tales of Zestiria
~ 60 000
PS3 Tales of Zestiria
~ 18 000
PS3 + PS4 Tales of Zestiria
~ 78 000

Do note that the NA numbers also include Canada (which should made some extra thousands sales as I remember Canada's numbers usually being 5-15% of US usually)

To give you a rough idea here's the % of NA+EMEA sales coming from France for the following titles

France

GC Tales of Symphonia {2004-11-12}
13%
GBA Tales of Phantasia {2006-03-31}
9% (late release in Europe)
PSP Tales of the World Radiant Mythology {2007-09-07}
9% (english only)
X360 Tales of Vesperia {2009-06-26}
12% (one year delay with NA)
Wii Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World {2009-11-13}
14% (one year delay with NA)
3DS Tales of the Abyss {2011-11-25}
4.5% (english only)
PS3 Tales of Graces F {2012-08-31}
10% (5 months delay with NA)
PS3 Tales of Xillia {2013-08-09}
10%
PS3 Tales of Symphonia Chronicles {2014-02-28}
12%
PS3 Tales of Xillia 2 {2014-08-22}
9%

France mostly has a huge bias towards the Symphonia titles and Vesperia was the one that managed to get the better grasp of that audience. Otherwise Germany UK and France usually have pretty close numbers for the Tales series.

Right, it seems ToZ almost beat Xillia in western sales. NB seemed elated at the 1 million+ Xillia did so Zestiria doing 700k+ is still a good number. I expect Berseria to be 600k-700k though.

With Steam it did (Xillia is somewhere between 300-350k, Zestiria is >400k)
Symphonia's number (>700k) will probably forever stay out of reach though.

Eolz

Prediction League August 2016 Results

Congratulations to:

- Bruno MB, for winning by units!
- Jarod McChicken, for winning by mean error %!

Ouch at our Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den predictions, the only one who didn't get the maximum penalty (150% error) was Jarod McChicken.

Oh god, terrible month for me :O

ZoddGutts

Also while KoF14 sold about as much as KoF13, didn't KoF13's low sales almost put the company out of business again and cause them to get bought by another company again? If so I wouldn't use that as a barometer of healthy sales.

Wasn't KoF12/13 expensive as hell because it took forever to make a single character, reason why they went 3D for KoF14. Not sure what the budget was for Kof14 compared to the previous games, they were able to make so many characters in such a short time thanks to going 3D, though the game isn't the greatest looker around.

Madao

man, that Federation Force debut is worse than even the worst F-Zero openings.

it's like they wanted to see how low they could make an entry in one of their classic series do. even Pinball and the NPC version of Prime 2 sold a lot more than this.

i went and read the MC topics made around the release of Other M 6 years ago and there were a ton of posts that turned to be super prophetic regarding the series' future. it's scary looking back at those.

Nintendo has pretty much killed interest in any Metroid side game now. the only thing they can do to save the series is do a game like Super or Prime 1 specifically to revive fan interest (kind of like how Disney had to make The Force Awakens seem a lot like the first SW movie to fix the brand's perception).

KingBroly

Banned
man, that Federation Force debut is worse than even the worst F-Zero openings.

it's like they wanted to see how low they could make an entry in one of their classic series do. even Pinball and the NPC version of Prime 2 sold a lot more than this.

i went and read the MC topics made around the release of Other M 6 years ago and there were a ton of posts that turned to be super prophetic regarding the series' future. it's scary looking back at those.

Nintendo has pretty much killed interest in any Metroid side game now. the only thing they can do to save the series is do a game like Super or Prime 1 specifically to revive fan interest (kind of like how Disney had to make The Force Awakens seem a lot like the first SW movie to fix the brand's perception).

They'll likely use this failure as justification for killing the series outright, despite no one wanting it. Clear Mismanagement of the brand has basically reduced any and all interest to 0 with Nintendo involved. They have 0 idea what to do with it.

horuhe

Now you say Awakens, something towards what Fire Emblem Awakening was, would be awesome. An almost-dying franchise now more lively than ever.

KingBroly

Banned
Now you say Awakens, something towards what Fire Emblem Awakening was, would be awesome. An almost-dying franchise now more lively than ever.

Difference is IS had an ultimatum with FE. Sell or die. They looked at it hard, and evolved it. While it took them forever to get to that point, they were still making games for it while sales dwindled. Nintendo hasn't made a Metroid game themselves in 2004, and that was a remake. Their last 2 outings have BOMBED horrifically.

Think about this.

Federation Force is going to sell worse than Other M. What does that tell you?

Eolz

They'll likely use this failure as justification for killing the series outright, despite no one wanting it. Clear Mismanagement of the brand has basically reduced any and all interest to 0 with Nintendo involved. They have 0 idea what to do with it.

I really doubt it. Apart from your last sentence, but for different reasons. They have zero idea on how to expand the audience for this IP.

Oregano

Difference is IS had an ultimatum with FE. Sell or die. They looked at it hard, and evolved it. While it took them forever to get to that point, they were still making games for it while sales dwindled. Nintendo hasn't made a Metroid game themselves in 2004, and that was a remake. Their last 2 outings have BOMBED horrifically.

Think about this.

Federation Force is going to sell worse than Other M. What does that tell you?

That one is a spinoff and one is a main entry?

Madao

That one is a spinoff and one is a main entry?

okay, a more direct comparison

FF is gonna sell worse than Pinball.

spinofff vs spinoff is okay, right?

It's odd though when Zelda seems to shift almost directly in response to fan feedback. Then again Zelda sells so...

i guess Zelda fans should be happy they have Aonuma at the helm there. he's a godsend compared to what Metroid got.

also, Zelda is much more resistant to spinoffs since the main games deliver usually.

Top Bottom