• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

Keyouta

It will be interesting to see the Wii U's performance over the holidays because it has no competition from the PS4 or XO. And to see if it continues next year since the PS4 releases in Japan in February.

Metallix87

It will be interesting to see the Wii U's performance over the holidays because it has no competition from the PS4 or XO. And to see if it continues next year since the PS4 releases in Japan in February.

PS4 won't do much better next year, but Wii U NEEDS Mario 3D World to do very well if it hopes to gain any momentum going towards Mario Kart, DKC, and Smash. Honestly, I think it'll be lucky if it hits Gamecube lifetime sales at this rate. Nintendo had a golden opportunity this Holiday season, but they've squandered it.

Mario007

The Ghost of Laguna haunts all the juniors.

Seems like teeth-gnashing is tied to Vita sales lately.

Also, Exestra or whatever that garbage is: can we finally lay to rest the, "Any game on Vita would sell better on 3DS" arguments?

Edit: Do people think the PS3 could get a bit of a second wind with a price cut? Or is it's install base more or less maxed?
PS3 is definitely saturated at this price point. A price cut would help this year, not sure if it'll help next year since I don't think it'll be getting many games come next hollidays.

Code:
[B]FAMITSU HARDWARE SALES, WEEK 45, 2013 (November 4th - November 11th):[/B]

3DS - 74,255
[B]WIU - 14,060[/B]
PSV - 22,924
PS3 - 11,932
PSP - 3,424
WII - 793
360 - 245

A 65% week-over-week decline is a horrible retention for Wii U, but it was to be expected.

I fear for the system creeping back into <10K territory after Super Mario 3D World / Taiko no Tatsujin releases. Lack of a baseline shift is the real danger of the system. The more it keeps dipping into abysmal levels, the less likely third-parties will decide to support it.

What do you think the chances are of the Vita establishing a decent baseline post-holidays?

Metallix87

Is someone in this thread really trying to say Capcom, and Square Enix are supporting Vita well? lol

Some people have let their love of the Vita get to their heads, clearly. Square-Enix doesn't give two shits about the Vita, and Capcom cares EVEN LESS about it, if that is at all possible.

Takao

Banned
It sounds like some of the creative staff at Square Enix wants to work on Vita games, but they're not the ones that get to make those decisions.

AniHawk

could see the wii u drop coming a mile away. 3ds is holding relatively well. everything is sorta in the calm before the storm. vita tv, 3d world, mario party (not zelda), good times up ahead.

jwhit28

could see the wii u drop coming a mile away. 3ds is holding relatively well. everything is sorta in the calm before the storm. vita tv, 3d world, mario party (not zelda), good times up ahead.

I was reading some old Media Create threads from Phantom Hourglass release and you were by far the most entertaining. The hate for the extremely successful Mario Party games released around that time (and the hate for Nintendo and the "nongame" movement in general) was surprising.

Mario007

It sounds like some of the creative staff at Square Enix wants to work on Vita games, but they're not the ones that get to make those decisions.
That's the saddest thing about SE these days. You know they have the talent to pump out amazing games and instead we get Bloodmasque iOS because Matsuda and Wada.

cafemomo

No way. PS3 is on a downward trend the whole year and its last holidays weren't great either.

The PS3 lineup has a more appealing lineup than the WiiU this winter.

The PS3 has LR, FFX/X-2, Dragoon 3, DW8, GT6 comming up.

WiiU has Super Mario (which will no doubt give the WiiU a nice temporary bump), a drum game by Nacmo which name escapes me, and a MoHu mmo.

Type-Zero

Is someone in this thread really trying to say Capcom, and Square Enix are supporting Vita well? lol

Some people have let their love of the Vita get to their heads, clearly. Square-Enix doesn't give two shits about the Vita, and Capcom cares EVEN LESS about it, if that is at all possible.

I never stated the Vita is being supported by Capcom and Square-Enix "Well" but what I am arguing is that they are interested in the Vita. People are saying its hoping for a miracle when the same scenario happened with the PSP. Basically, if Square and Capcom was not interested they would not even bother with it. Before Toukiden was released Tecmo ported both Ninja Gaiden Sigmas, and DOA5. Furthermore, if Capcom didn't care they could have easily left out the Vita for Monster Hunter Frontier G. They left it out with EX Troopers, and Resident Evil Revelations. Even Yoshinori Kitase, at Square has expressed interest in FFXII for the Vita. Their mindset has changed.

I never stated the Vita is being supported by Capcom and Square-Enix "Well" but what I am arguing is that they are interested in the Vita. People are saying its hoping for a miracle when the same scenario happened with the PSP. Basically, if Square and Capcom was not interested they would not even bother with it. Before Toukiden was released Tecmo ported both Ninja Gaiden Sigmas, and DOA5. Furthermore, if Capcom didn't care they could have easily left out the Vita for Monster Hunter Frontier G. They left it out with EX Troopers, and Resident Evil Revelations. Even Yoshinori Kitase, at Square has expressed interest in FFXII for the Vita. Their mindset has changed.

Yeah the port of game that even was on 360 is clearly evidence everything is about to change. Can't wait for the exclusive FF on Wii U

I forgot about Disney Infinity on Wii U and 3DS - November 28, 2013

But still a pretty small list.

THIS has me optimistic thanks to Magic Castle's out of the ball park success, now at over 300k. Never saw that coming from a non-KH Disney game.

And the game is a hit in the west. And I doubt people will flock to the clearly inferior 3DS product, it's just a mini-game collection IIRC.

AND it's Namco who's publishing it to boot, just like Magic Castle. They'll know how to market to the same audience.

Interesting and good for Wii U that it's exclusive, you know they'd just flock to get it on PS3, this is a good test to observe.

Now Skylanders I don't think made a mark at all, but it's a new IP (That ain't no Spyro), and it was YEARS late. Got a surprise Wii U version, hope that comes over.:

719950_324759_front.jpg

AzaK

But released games don't disappear...?

No, but most people who wanted a Wii U bought one early - there's your 3.06(?) million in the first month or so. There will be some holding back, waiting until games they like come along and when that game comes, they buy the system and get the game.

The Wii U can't be seen as an opportunity purchase because you basically don't know when the next good game is coming and can't rely on a steady stream of games. So it wouldn't surprise me if people just buy the console when the specific game they want comes out. This might see sales averages rise slowly as more games come and people think the back catalogue is enough for them, but I think for the most part we'll see very apparent spikes in hardware as the software releases. Then we'll go into a bit of a lull for a while until the next game.

It's not like Nintendo are updating their VC, adding great features or getting lots of indie games on the machine either.

Will be an interesting year.

Type-Zero

Yeah the port of game that even was on 360 is clearly evidence everything is about to change. Can't wait for the exclusive FF on Wii U

Again I am stating interest. I don't see how MHF being on 360 has anything to do with this. We got Ninja Gaiden Sigma which is a port of a PS3 game which is a port of an Original Xbox game. Which I dont think people were really asking for but got anyway, A port is still game, a decision and work has to produced even small for it..I tried keeping my posts to just Vita and 3DS but if you drag Wii U in it doesn't matter. The situation is pretty bad at the moment, but its not like the Gamecube and Wii didn't get Crystal Chronicles which is exclusive. Its not a numbered Final Fantasy but it bears the name. You don't get involved in something your not interested in.

Kid Ying

The PS3 lineup has a more appealing lineup than the WiiU this winter.

The PS3 has LR, FFX/X-2, Dragoon 3, DW8, GT6 comming up.

WiiU has Super Mario (which will no doubt give the WiiU a nice temporary bump), a drum game by Nacmo which name escapes me, and a MoHu mmo.
Its not going to bring many people on the ps3 when bigger games fail to do. Those games will do good and the ps3 will have a normal holidays. Wiiu will beat it easily. On holidays parents buys gifts for their children and nintendo is much more attractive to them. Not even saying about Mario and Taiko, which got a lot of sales potential for that same crowd.

But if you e talking about software, you are right. PS3 will be the dominant console.

Again I am stating interest. I don't see how MHF being on 360 has anything to do with this. We got Ninja Gaiden Sigma which is a port of a PS3 game which is a port of an Original Xbox game. Which I dont think people were really asking for but got anyway, A port is still game, a decision and work has to produced even small for it..I tried keeping my posts to just Vita and 3DS but if you drag Wii U in it doesn't matter. The situation is pretty bad at the moment, but its not like the Gamecube and Wii didn't get Crystal Chronicles which is exclusive. Its not a numbered Final Fantasy but it bears the name. You don't get involved in something your not interested in.

Unless someone gives incentives to you to do otherwise anyway.

Edit: I want to say there is no way in hell PS3 outsells Wii U this holiday, but honestly you never know with Wii U

Kid Ying

Unless someone gives incentives to you to do otherwise anyway.

Edit: I want to say there is no way in hell PS3 outsells Wii U this holiday, but honestly you never know with Wii U
Yeah... Theres always a chance wiiu get wiiu'd... But i think even wiiu can manage that.

Mario007

Yeah... Theres always a chance wiiu get wiiu'd... But i think even wiiu can manage that.
Honestly, seeing Wii U not even rising past 40k last week I'm not sure it'll do well over the holidays and could see the chances of ps3 outselling it to be 50:50.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
After a Nintendo Direct new features push, at least 3D World is at 35pt now on Comgnet, a week from launch!

Kid Ying

Honestly, seeing Wii U not even rising past 40k last week I'm not sure it'll do well over the holidays and could see the chances of ps3 outselling it to be 50:50.
What? Last week was a good week for it. Most people here were expecting less. On holidays the system will have bigger games than now and it will be much more marketed (nintendo usually do that in the end of the year). No chance in hell ps3 will outsell it.

Holidays are historically the best time for nintendo systems to sell. Even wii was totally zombified,it still managed nice numbers in the end of the year. If wiiu sell less than the, seven year old and on a downtrend for the last years,ps3, with mario and taiko, nintendo should cancel the system, cause theres nothing they can do to save it. Seriously

And pies, there was no direct for japan. This is probably the results of the advertising that started last week. Mario also got on the top 10 on amazon. Its probably due to the marketing.

Pain

Banned
-Vita is holding on pretty well. I doubt it will drop sub 20k any time soon. Vita TV and God Eater 2 should give it a huge boost in next weeks numbers. Seems like Vita is saved.

-Wii U's drop is expected. Content will drive hardware. When is the new Mario game releasing?

-3DS dominating as usual

-PS3 on its way out, nice to see software still selling well though

cafemomo

If wiiu sell less than the, seven year old and on a downtrend for the last years,ps3, with mario and taiko, nintendo should cancel the system, cause theres nothing they can do to save it. Seriously

Nintendo should try to get more japanese centric games for the WiiU that's what they should do.

PS3 is probably going to close@800k LTD or something similar this year.

Wii U will need to sell about 280-300k (~40-43k avg/week) in the next 7 weeks in order to outsell it.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If wiiu sell less than the, seven year old and on a downtrend for the last years,ps3, with mario and taiko, nintendo should cancel the system, cause theres nothing they can do to save it. Seriously

I'm sure its at saturation point with no price drop, but PS3 has quite the lineup on rapidfire for holidays in JPN this year with Lightning Returns, GT6, FFX HD, er... Drag-On Dragoon 3, MOAR GUNDAM and of course all the western stuff. Might push systems a little more than we've been seeing recently.

I don't think Mario and Taiko are really enough to wow over consumers in that period.

But you have cast your gauntlet down, sir. So good luck.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm sure its at saturation point with no price drop, but PS3 has quite the lineup on rapidfire for holidays in JPN this year with Lightning Returns, GT6, FFX HD, er... Drag-On Dragoon 3, MOAR GUNDAM and of course all the western stuff. Might push systems a little more than we've been seeing recently.

I don't think Mario and Taiko are really enough to wow over consumers in that period.

Nintendo systems in Japan do really really well in December compared to Sony. That isn't to say Sony systems don't do well, but the increase in sales is usually more pronounced for Nintendo systems.

We'll see.

PS3 is probably going to close@800k LTD or something similar this year.

Wii U will need to sell about 280-300k (~40-43k avg/week) in the next 7 weeks in order to outsell it.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

We are only talking about December/New Years sales

The thing is that all of those franchises fanbases are on PS3. And we all know Nintendo systems get magical boosts during holidays even when they are terribly selling. I mean there is the chance PS3 gets a big boost, but Wii U should be able to outsell it on Nintendo Christmas Power alone. Like I said, there is a possibility Wii U just does awful this holiday, but that is why it would be shocking if PS3 outsold it.

AmanoBuff

Nice to see Vita somewhat holding its ground. I'd like to see where its baseline sits at, but with the lineup during the next few weeks it will be hard to tell.

Sad about Wii U. Sad but not unexpected. Normally I would be completely sure Mario would turn things around, but it is looking less and less likely.

Very curious about how Vita TV will open in Japan. Is there a precedent for a device like that?

I love my Vita but even I have zero hopes about Capcom supporting it in any meaningful way. As for SE, whether they like it or not, they are releasing FFX/X-2 for it. I'll wait until after that title is released to see exactly where they stand regarding the Vita, although I'm not too hopeful.

Vita TV and God Eater 2 is this week right? Next Wednesday will speak volumes about Vita's future. Will it continue to be a niche device or will it finally get deeper market penetration?

So have any big Vita games gotten release dates for the Jan- March period?

Freedom Wars?
SS delta?

Any 3rd party stuff ?

Theres a few at the end of jan, segas new music game, Dragon ball(multi with ps3), couple of VN's, Disgea 4

feb has Puyo Puyo Tetris, some anime crap, kagero darkside princess, valhall knights 3 again

march has J stars, Samurai warriors 4 and Soulsac delta (first 2 are multi with ps3)

edit : oops glanced over the big part, probably ignore everything other than march

AniHawk

I was reading some old Media Create threads from Phantom Hourglass release and you were by far the most entertaining. The hate for the extremely successful Mario Party games released around that time (and the hate for Nintendo and the "nongame" movement in general) was surprising.

oh that was the wii fit stuff. yeah, people were (and still are) hyperreactive to everything. lots of posts about how if motion controls became standard that they'd quit gaming. then motion controls became standard and they're still here. liars.

Top Bottom