• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 52, 2011 {2011.12.26 - 2012.01.01}

Truth101

Banned
So... we're expecting some kind of game announcement next week?

Was there any reveal date tied to that Vita Monster Hunter rumor? I'm still hoping for a sudden influx of vita game announcements to bolster its future line up.
Polemon x Nobunaga seems likely.

MH V would be q3 and not announced so early if true, also I doubt any Vita games would be announced in CoroCoro.

Takao

Banned
I don't think Level-5 is that eager to bleed money after the last bomb, or is there some rumour of a Vita version?

I'd say 150k for an expansion of a game released 6 months ago that did 300k is pretty good. Level-5's basically confirmed a sequel, and teased one in Boost (the expansion). I think it could still be PSP or 3DS, Lunchwithyuzo thinks Vita.

Truth101

Banned
I'd say 150k for an expansion of a game released 6 months ago that did 300k is pretty good. Level-5's basically confirmed a sequel, and teased one in Boost (the expansion). I think it could still be PSP or 3DS, Lunchwithyuzo thinks Vita.
Yeah, but 2 half year periods between 3 new releases is just asking for franchise decline.

Though Level-5 doesn't seem to have much problem doung that.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, but 2 half year periodsbetween new releases is just asking for franchise decline.

Well, I'm of the opinion that Hino should've pushed back Boost and made it PSP/3DS. I say that because the anime series is likely going to be begin broadcast internationally late this year/early next year, and there's no way in hell a PSP game will get any shelf space then.

If LBX 2 is a Vita game I can see it announced this year, and not released until next year at the earliest.

Truth101

Banned
Well, I'm of the opinion that Hino should've pushed back Boost and made it PSP/3DS. I say that because the anime series is likely going to be begin broadcast internationally late this year/early next year, and there's no way in hell a PSP game will get any shelf space then.

If LBX 2 is a Vita game I can see it announced this year, and not released until next year at the earliest.
I could see a new one being PSP/3DS, but I just don't see Vita having the target audience to support its sales. Though that may change by next christmas.

donny2112

[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go (Level 5) - 141.458 / 232.052 / 60,96% 29/08/02

That date is very, very wrong.

and if someone could show me how is the relationship between TPC and Nintendo (ownership, who calls the shots...)

Pokemon Red/Green was released by Nintendo. It quickly grew into its own entity, and it became clear that a dedicated division/company was needed to "look after" it, as it was/is more than just video games. Therefore, Nintendo spun off The Pokemon Company. The Pokemon Company is not a "real" separate entity from Nintendo. On paper, there's some separation, but The Pokemon Company for our purposes is considered Nintendo first-party.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33490383&postcount=9 (I don't know if it's been confirmed but I can confirm it to you).

Oh, cool. Thought it was an interesting concept. Haven't played the series before, but it could be fun to have a full AR game. :)

cvxfreak

So, this is out of the blue, but I've decided to stop posting in sales threads from now on. There are reasons for this decision; I've decided that it's better to stay quiet about these things from now on. I honestly had no idea certain opinions, whether mine or not, actually bothered certain people, so I'd rather not contribute to such animosity in the future.

It's been fun, but it's time to move on.

watershed

Banned
So, this is out of the blue, but I've decided to stop posting in sales threads from now on. There are reasons for this decision; I've decided that it's better to stay quiet about these things from now on. I honestly had no idea certain opinions, whether mine or not, actually bothered certain people, so I'd rather not contribute to such animosity in the future.

Maybe cvxfreak won't see or respond to this but what is this post referencing? I post in most sales threads and didn't realize there were any grudges, or arguments or conflicts outside of the normal stuff. Has there been some kind of underlying conflict in sales threads that I've been unaware of?

Erethian

Maybe cvxfreak won't see or respond to this but what is this post referencing? I post in most sales threads and didn't realize there were any grudges, or arguments or conflicts outside of the normal stuff. Has there been some kind of underlying conflict in sales threads that I've been unaware of?

No idea.

I will say that it was good to hear cvxfreak's impressions when he'd browse retailers and try and get a sense of what was doing well and what wasn't. Bit like Vinnk's village.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

You should be over the point by now that you care if your opinion entertains or annoys some people in a sales thread.

Vinnk

Nooooooooo!

Reading stuff by cvxfreak was one of the reasons I decided to come back to the sales age threads.

LOCK

I lurk more than I post, but you are one of the best when it comes to sales. I hope you change your mind, but if not at least you won't be entirely gone from GAF.

Also not to be in your business, but this is a board full of opinions and you shouldn't have to change because of someone else. That's the whole point in a forum.

As they say, HOLY FUCKING CRAP.

Yeah, but 2 half year periods between 3 new releases is just asking for franchise decline.

The fact is that, in my opinion, Level-5 franchises as Little Battlers or Inazuma Eleven have a very short lifecycle in the market, and relying on anime and merchandise is a big part of them. It's important for the company to find always something to replace the previous successful IP.

Anyway, the only Level-5 bomba this has been Ni no Kuni on PS3.

Codeblue

You will be missed CVX, I hope you reconsider. I don't think you should deprive the rest of us your contribution to spare the feelings of people who take game sales personally.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

So who's left from the old sales-age crowd? Just duckroll?

Sagitario

I really hope you reconsider, I have enjoyed reading your posts here for years.

You've been posting here for many, many years, and have been a very valuable contributor to Sales-Age. I'd say that if you stopped posting here that will bother a lot more people than the ones that are currently butt-hurt by your opinions! In any case, like other have said, please reconsider.

To be honest it feels a little childish to stop posting just because a few certain posters take things the wrong way (whoever they may be). You're a valuable contributer to this thread and it would be a shame if you got pushed out because some people couldn't handle an opinion on a forum.

To be honest it feels a little childish to stop posting just because a few certain posters take things the wrong way (whoever they may be). You're a valuable contributer to this thread and it would be a shame if you got pushed out because some people couldn't handle an opinion on a forum.

I love drama, but I love more knowing who these guys are!

Taurus

That's just bullshit. Forums exist so that you can bring your opinions and observations to everyone's eyes. If someone gets butt-hurt because of this, it's their problem, not yours.

So please keep posting. :) Or at least uncover what is exactly behind of this decision...

There's a change I've been thinking about making to the Japanese Hardware Sales Line Graph Generator for some time, and I finally got around to it tonight. Seems the place could use a pick-me-up? It's a change meant for simplicity and ease of use, so here's the very wordy explanation.

Since the dawn of time there's been that list of commonly-needed weeks to the side with when years started and platforms launched, and it's continued to grow as the years have come and new platforms have released. But rather than needing to search this list or in my case end up memorizing certain ones used over and over, I set up a new table which contains these same weeks so you can write the text form instead of the date. Want to chart DS from launch? No need to look for and input the date 2004-12-29, just put in dslaunch and it will recognize it.

Even shorter, you can just put "launch", and this does add a new and useful behavioral quirk. By default when you don't give a date for systems past the first, it goes with the date from the first. In this case they'll all get assigned "launch". This means they won't actually get assigned the same date, but it will be a quick way to make from-launch comparisons. If you really do want the fixed date, just use the full "dslaunch" or whatever.

http://garaph.info/linecompare.php//sys-0/DS/date-0/launch/tra-0/fam/gr-0/hf/sys-1/GBA comparing DS and GBA from individual launches
http://garaph.info/linecompare.php//sys-0/DS/date-0/dslaunch/tra-0/fam/gr-0/hf/sys-1/GBA comparing DS and GBA from DS launch

Use note: If you want to make comparisons between years and not worry about which ones are 52 or 53 weeks, here's the way. Set it to make a 53 week comparison. For the various Date areas, put in "2008start", "2009start" and whatever; but also put in "2008end", "2009end" in the little-used Sum Through Date. So without remember when a year ends, begins, or how long it is, you'll get the right period covered.

Final note: First week of a year is picked simply; whichever week is the first one to have 4+ days from the new year. I suppose if anyone really really cared about enabling Famitsu's craziness they could supply a new list of dates like "famitsu2011end" to be added.

Orgen

Too bad TinyPic is banned.

¿?

Fair enough, I suppose. Doesn't even remotely ring true for me I'm afraid, but only time will tell, I suppose. You have my full apologies should you be vindicated.

I don't want to believe. ;_;

Nahhh, don't worry. I could be wrong!

I hope you get banned if this is bullshit.

Did I kill your dog or something? lol This is why we can't have nice things and why people like cvx leaves!

I just made a comment about something I heard, nothing more. I didn't made a new thread nor I'm proclaiming it's an absolute truth. So if this "bullshit" bothers you, instead of crying for a ban you can grow a pair and make a bet or get over it ;)

oh my god pokemon b&w 2 for ds has to be the worst rumor i have ever read on gaf

By worst you mean best... right? :)

Are you sure you'd stick to that conviction after a light perusal of the archives?

I have faith that GAF can do worse.

Worse rumours like the "MGS Rising made by Platinum Games" one became true in the end!

Whens the last time someone got banned for an inside source rumor not panning out?

It is that time of year again.

Nobody believes in me. Sadpanda.jpg

Pokemon Red/Green was released by Nintendo. It quickly grew into its own entity, and it became clear that a dedicated division/company was needed to "look after" it, as it was/is more than just video games. Therefore, Nintendo spun off The Pokemon Company. The Pokemon Company is not a "real" separate entity from Nintendo. On paper, there's some separation, but The Pokemon Company for our purposes is considered Nintendo first-party.

Oh, cool. Thought it was an interesting concept. Haven't played the series before, but it could be fun to have a full AR game. :)

Thanks for the explanation Donny, much appreciated. Maybe the AR game is a sign for more games of the series to come!

I'm in the Internet serious business camp, sorry cvx. I appreciate your posts but this reason seems childish. I hope there're other reasons or that you give it a second thought and start to not give a fuck about what others think about your opinions.

Anyway, no more pokemon bullshit for now. Seeing the horrendous year SW wise in Japan, I was thinking about the big sellers planned for 2012 and... I can't think of anything besides Animal Crossing 3DS and Tomodachi Collection 3DS (I'm not counting FF XIII Versus, Monster Hunter 4 or the next pokemon). Please tell me I'm forgetting something, because I can't imagine a worse year than 2011.

While it's completely stupid to not release a Pokemon game on the 3DS sometime soon, it also makes sense in a certain way.
On the one hand, it just solidifies the 3DS as a sales juggernaut if they do.
On the other hand, they give third parties more room to do their thing before dropping that bomb, as well, as they can capitalize on an already existing fanbase plus the new one can still enjoy it.

YourMaster

While it's completely stupid to not release a Pokemon game on the 3DS sometime soon, it also makes sense in a certain way.
On the other hand, they give third parties more room to do their thing before dropping that bomb, as well, as they can capitalize on an already existing fanbase plus the new one can still enjoy it.

On yet another hand, if they get it out of the way now, the increased user base will be "done" with pokemon "soon" and looking for a second game.

On yet another hand, if they get it out of the way now, the increased user base will be "done" with pokemon "soon" and looking for a second game.

On another hand again, Game Freak could have the possibility to develop a full 3D Pokémon game for 3DS while working on just a sequel of B&W on DS so re-using all the assets they already developed: high effort on 3DS required, while maintaining the brand alive.

Orgen

Speculation typically indicates that there is some basis of reality involved. Otherwise, that's being generous.

You're right but when I said I was just speculating it was regarding the Pokemon iOS/Vita games, not the B&W2.

The DQ Monster remake could be another big seller for this year (alongside KH:3D) but I don't think they could be million sellers.

PS: Wait, there's DQ X and Mario Party 9! Ok, maybe 2012 will be a better year SW wise than 2011 even if MonHun4 isn't out for this year.

Orgen said:
Anyway, no more pokemon bullshit for now. Seeing the horrendous year SW wise in Japan, I was thinking about the big sellers planned for 2012 and... I can't think of anything besides Animal Crossing 3DS and Tomodachi Collection 3DS (I'm not counting FF XIII Versus, Monster Hunter 4 or the next pokemon). Please tell me I'm forgetting something, because I can't imagine a worse year than 2011.
Well, there are a lot of unknowns. Wii U is definitely going to have some biggies, we're just not sure exactly which ones will be this year yet.

Orgen

Well, there are a lot of unknowns. Wii U is definitely going to have some biggies, we're just not sure exactly which ones will be this year yet.

Yeah but for what we know now, Wii U could be a Fall/Christmas launch and may not have a million seller for launch.

I was talking about games that we know for sure that will launch in 2012 and can make a turn around from the disaster that has been 2011.

For now 3DS has the heavy hitters with Animal Crossing, Tomodachi, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. The Wii couple (DQ X and MP9) could do nice numbers too and PS3 has a couple too that can make good numbers (One Piece Musou and the new Yakuza). Anything else I'm forgetting? (+500k games)

RPGamer92

Banned
Part of it I think is that they want Monster Hunter to become big in the west and the best way to do that is by releasing it on a "alive" system before Pokemon is even announced for it.

On another hand again, Game Freak could have the possibility to develop a full 3D Pokémon game for 3DS while working on just a sequel of B&W on DS so re-using all the assets they already developed: high effort on 3DS required, while maintaining the brand alive.

It's possible. HG/SS and B/W were developed concurrently by 2 different teams within GF (that's why some of the features in them are different)

Do you know Nintendo's plans for launch and you are so sure?

I know that Nintendo will probably want to try new stuff with the franchise like they have been.
Everyone was SO sure that the first Mario game for the 3DS would be a NSMB style, and yet we got neither a Galaxy game or a NSMB type game, rather it was a nice mixture of both.
They'll probably continue more along that line and make a more bridge title that can please both fans.

Top Bottom