• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Ridley327

IIRC, Kojima really did not care for Blaustein making Naomi and especially Mei Ling more distinctly ethnic (although Mei Ling does definitely dip over into stereotype territory from time to time).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
IIRC, Kojima really did not care for Blaustein making Naomi and especially Mei Ling more distinctly ethnic (although Mei Ling does definitely dip over into stereotype territory from time to time).

Too bad. Blaustein's translation is still godlike. Only MGS3 kinda matches it in terms of quality. Everything else has been pretty bad.

The reason Blaustein was not brought back was because people close to kojima and I think Kojima himself felt that Blaustein was disrespecting Kojima with the way he was translating Kojima's script/dialogue.

Blaustein was interviewed by the MGS: The Unofficial Site in 2007 and he said that Kojima wanted more drama/dramatic dialogue and Blaustein wanted to dial it down. He also said that he really wanted the "love bloom in the battlefield" line to be removed/he didn't really like the line, but Konami or Kojima insisted that the line stayed in the game.

He also said that MGS 2's talking hand was so fucking stupid. Sorry, I can't provide the link for this. The MGS:TUS podcasts are long gone.

Ridley327

The reason Blaustein was not brought back was because people close to kojima and I think Kojima himself felt that Blaustein was disrespecting Kojima with the way he was translating Kojima's script/dialogue.

Blaustein was interviewed by the MGS: The Unofficial Site in 2007 and he said that Kojima wanted more drama/dramatic dialogue and Blaustein wanted to dial it down. He also said that he really wanted the "love bloom in the battlefield" line to be removed but he wasn't allowed to do so.

On one hand, I really do genuinely hate that line, but on the other hand, I can't imagine Otacon not saying it. He's such a sap, so it is something I could see him doing.

Besides, it's not like it's the most ridiculous line that Christopher Randolph has had to read by now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
On one hand, I really do genuinely hate that line, but on the other hand, I can't imagine Otacon not saying it. He's such a sap, so it is something I could see him doing.

Besides, it's not like it's the most ridiculous line that Christopher Randolph has had to read by now.

"THAT VAMP! HE'S GOTTA BE IMMORTAHL!"

Seems like most of the VAs became somewhat flanderized after the first game. Snake, Campbell and Ocelot in particular sounded VERY different. Ocelot's voice in 1 was vaguely menacing, but became a lot more cartoonish afterwards.

Ridley327

Seems like most of the VAs became somewhat flanderized after the first game. Snake, Campbell and Ocelot in particular sounded VERY different. Ocelot's voice in 1 was vaguely menacing, but became a lot more cartoonish afterwards.

It says a lot that a younger, hotheaded version of Ocelot played by a different VA was a lot more threatening than the guy who is actually equipped to ruin your day many times over.

I always got the feeling that Zimmerman got direction that he was supposed to be more like Liquid than Ocelot, and Cam Clarke is really the only guy who can do that. Then again, Cam Clarke could imitate an elephant fart and it'd be a better performance than most other VAs could ever pull together.

It says a lot that a younger, hotheaded version of Ocelot played by a different VA was a lot more threatening than the guy who is actually equipped to ruin your day many times over.

I always got the feeling that Zimmerman got direction that he was supposed to be more like Liquid than Ocelot, and Cam Clarke is really the only guy who can do that. Then again, Cam Clarke could imitate an elephant fart and it'd be a better performance than most other VAs could ever pull together.

I think Zimmerman did a great job mimicking Liquid's speech patterns, it's a good combination of the two characters, but I miss Cam Clarke hamming it up all over the place :(

iLLmAtlc

I would have loved Cam Clarke to voice Liquid in this game. They could have just taken it a small step further and said he changed his voice with nanomachines. >_>

I decided before I started playing that I wasn't going to bother with the flashbacks because just the thought of missing one enraged me. If I beat the game and that gold didn't chime, shit would hit the fan. Fuck that trophy.

Weird. I just got the flashback mania trophy in Act 3 mission briefing, during a flashback I KNOW I saw before... there's no way I missed that one before.

speaking of which, did anyone play the vita version of MGS HD Collection? im pretty sure they had MGS3 voice actors reprise their roles just for the vita MGS3 (i.e. Major Zero instructs the player to use the rear touch pad for CQC purposes).....anyone confirm? (also you can tell that the "newer dubs" of their voices seem a little off when you listen closely and compare to the original voice readings)

Just got Assassin, Little Gray, and Tarantula. 5 more emblems, 5 more play throughs to go...
I think playing through this game twice in one day is quite enough. I've played it for like 14 hours straight today. Time for sleep

Total time trailing the Resistance member in Act 3 on The Boss Extreme: 4 minutes, 22 seconds. The Resistance time trick accounted for most of it but I still shaved off two entire sections by taking out a couple of guys that he usually avoids, resulting in him going through the normal route.

^This. The MGS has had its share of hammiest performances, but I think Hayter, Hale, Eiding, Randolph, et al has made the best with what they provided. The only glaring exception to this, however, is Quinton Flynn, who in my opinion had no business being allowed near a voice-over microphone. There was no excuse for his horrid performance, and I feel that it partially contributed to much of the hate that the Raiden character received in MGS2. It was embarrassingly bad even by 2001 standards, especially when you compared it to the quality voice acting in the first MGS game. I have alot of issues with MGS2, and Quinton Flynn is probably at the top of my list of grievances. If Raiden had a better v.o., I probably would have rated it better.

The level design was another issue. Loved the tanker segment, but it all went downhill with how bland the Big Shell design was by comparison. However, Arsenal Gear's layout was even more insulting. After the way Arsenal Gear had been hyped all throughout the game, the only thing it amounted to was basically a long corridor. At least with the first game, there was variety to it. I never got that sense out of MGS2. MGS4 actually went for variety, but it came at the expense of depth. MGS1 and 3 did the best job at level design, although I tend to skew in favor of MGS1 in terms of overall package. MGS1 has the superior voice acting of all the MGS games to date.

I had no idea that Kojima took issue with the accents used by Naomi Hunter and Mei Ling. His english is minimal, to my reckoning, so I don't think he would discern any possible stereotyping out of it. Being asian myself, I took no offense from it. I think films like Kill Bill does more to perpetuate asian racial stereotyping than an actor using genuine dialect in storytelling.

SJRB

Gold Member
If you look back at initial interviews from Kojima about MGS4, it is pretty clear that the final product ended up an incredibly butchered version of the original design plan.

Persistant world, grow a tree and it will grow, the ambition and promise was almost Molyneux-like. Emotions on the battlefield, factions adapting realtime. Open world/sandbox like level design. Non-scripted destructable environments.

I'd almost go as far as say that Act I was supposed to be the entire game, but they understood their plans were way too ambitious for the technology at hand so they cut it down to one act. I feel like Act I is the only act that somewhat lives up to the things Kojima 'promised' and talked about in the years leading up to the release.

"Emotions on the battlefield, factions adapting realtime. Open world/sandbox like level design. Non-scripted destructable environments."

I'm doubting he ever said such things. Anyways, MGS4 is one of the most polished games out there, everything in it has so much detail.

If you look back at initial interviews from Kojima about MGS4, it is pretty clear that the final product ended up an incredibly butchered version of the original design plan.

Persistant world, grow a tree and it will grow, the ambition and promise was almost Molyneux-like. Emotions on the battlefield, factions adapting realtime. Open world/sandbox like level design. Non-scripted destructable environments.

I'd almost go as far as say that Act I was supposed to be the entire game, but they understood their plans were way too ambitious for the technology at hand so they cut it down to one act. I feel like Act I is the only act that somewhat lives up to the things Kojima 'promised' and talked about in the years leading up to the release.

Kojima's ambitions have always outstripped his abilities and execution in his games. Honestly, I would have been satisfied had they kept MGS4 in one or 2 settings. The game looked fantastic, but there were alot of issues that kept it from delivering a total package experience, in my opinion. Act 3 was tedious, and Outer Haven's level design was even more atrocious than Arsenal Gear, if that was even remotely possible. It's too bad. It had everything going for it to have been better than it turned out being. Those mandatory installs were a real deal breaker too, although I appreciate the patch (moreso than the trophies) even though it took 4 years to come to this point.

StuBurns

Banned
Blaustein did a better job than anyone has with the series since.

But I believe the accents thing was actually because there was a fair amount of calls of racism towards the translation, so they just never dared do it again.

It's very strange in MGS4 how random militia in Morocco sound like GI Joe.

jimi_dini

On my last playthrough doing panther, oh god how awful you need to play. On act 3 currently, soon it's platinum time. Sadly a few japanese players used hacked saves :(

But I believe the accents thing was actually because there was a fair amount of calls of racism towards the translation, so they just never dared do it again.

what about the american accents the russian guards had in MGS3? they sounded like they were surfer actors plucked from SoCal beaches rather than from Moscow

"Emotions on the battlefield, factions adapting realtime. Open world/sandbox like level design. Non-scripted destructable environments."

I'm doubting he ever said such things.

kojima DID say in some interviews that he wanted snake to be able to befriend and gain trust from the militia and depending on how much support/ammo he gives each faction, he could win their support in battles (ala GTA San andreas gang system).....so he was ambitious in the scope of the game....

but to throw everything into the game and have it release on time was another story....

StuBurns

Banned
The vocal only Snake Eater rendition when you're climbing the ladder isn't as good in Subsistence, I like the original angle of looking down while climbing.

Soodanim

Does anyone know if the "Beyond the Bounds" iPod track (which has the effect of increasing non-lethal weapon damage) is effective for bosses, as well as normal enemies? I've never seen it mentioned, and Google has failed me.

Aguirre

middleeastmilitiasafehozl2.jpg

middleeastmilitiasafehorm9.jpg

:lol, post from pistolpete2940

forgot how amazing it is when
when you get back to shadow moses

Jawmuncher

I forgot about that, I just did the mountain ascent with the original camera, I forgot how bad it was.

Playing Snake Eater before Subsistence.
I absolutely HATED the camera, While it fits well in MGS1 and MGS2.
The perspective camera in MGS3 did more harm then good, not to mention it made the game much harder to play.

The Subsistence camera was a breathe of fresh air when the game came out, and let me enjoy the game so much more.

I should give that a read but when I say see I mean see!

The ending became quite hard to follow the first the through when I was younger. To see the crash in NYC would have given the whole game a lot more weight.

Hope they can show it one day.

http://blogs.vandal.net/9964/vm/192730572010

Supposedly the original game plan. Anyone know if this is real? If it is, goddamn. It's a recurring thing with the series, the final games themselves turn out great, but the original plans make the final thing seem disappointing.

I'd love for these ideas to come out in 5

StuBurns

Banned
Playing Snake Eater before Subsistence.
I absolutely HATED the camera, While it fits well in MGS1 and MGS2.
The perspective camera in MGS3 did more harm then good, not to mention it made the game much harder to play.

The Subsistence camera was a breathe of fresh air when the game came out, and let me enjoy the game so much more.
It is a huge improvement, I just wish it was a little further back, like MGS4.

Ridley327

what about the american accents the russian guards had in MGS3? they sounded like they were surfer actors plucked from SoCal beaches rather than from Moscow

They did at least explain that away when Snake is talking to Sokolov and Sokolov remarks about how good his Russian is. They Red October'd it away, so to speak.

Ein Bear

I just left Snake in a box overnight on Shadow Moses to rack up some Chicken time. When I went back to it, the box was all covered in dust. Goddamn the attention to detail in this series is insane.

Again, I don't see how it was racist given their characters' backstory. As an asian, I'm certainly for more broad representation of asians in multimedia than there are today. In the case of Mei Ling, however, trying to whitewash her indiginous asian dialect out of existence is just as racist in my opinion. It wasn't like her v.o. was doing a minstrel depiction of the character. It was quite low subtle, lowkey. The exact thing that Blaustein was trying to accomplish with the character. I may have a more laid back and progressive attitude than many in the asian community, but I've seen my share of offensive stereotyping and am not above calling it out when I see it, even when it may be unintentional on the part of the screenplay writer or the director.

The omission of Naomi Hunter's British accent is puzzling. I could not imagine alot of Brits raising a stink over it. The quality of Jennifer Hale's performance, maybe, but not anything related to racial insensitivity.

I think Both Hale and Kim Mai Guest did serviceable performances, along with the V.O. that did Nastasha Romanenko. I always figured that it had more to do with lip synching than it did out of racism. The character models in Metal Gear Solid really didn't require that the v.o.'s performance be synched up with the audio. The quality in v.o. took a considerable hit with MGS2, and hasn't really ever regained the consistency of MGS1 ever since. I always figured that regionalization had more to do with it. For games developed in the west, that's never an issue. Uncharted, Mass Effect, etc. had loads of characters with foreign accents, and yet the programmers didn't seem to have any technical issues in effectively depicting their characters without being offensive. Again, I'm not so sure that I'm convinced. It's the first I've heard of it.

Soodanim

I'm doing my chicken run at the moment, and I just did 50 hold up/searches on re-spawning troops in act 2. Not a single healing item from it. I'm going to have a hard time getting the rest of the 50 I need for the emblem (at this point, I probably about 25 more).

Top Bottom