• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

Hey guys not sure if this is old but while playing today I discovered a spot where Laughing Octopus and all of her attacks (including those seeking explosives) can't touch you at all. It's right behind that big medical machine:

It's a really good spot to be recovering health with or without an iPod song. If you fight her from behind the big machine on the right on the first pic she won't be able to hit you with her tentacles either.

It was only tested on Solid Normal though.

Hello. I have tested this on Extreme but I cannot get it to work. I have posted the video here: http://youtu.be/aD1dA8PGI60 and I'm hoping you could clarify if this is the correct method (and thus that it isn't working on Extreme)?

And thank god I've finally finished this:
sxoaQ.jpg
Now to never do that bike chase again on Extreme!

It can also be seen that the trophy Flashback Mania showed with 273 Flashbacks for me and for Jimi_Dini with 271 flashbacks so it's definitely around there.

And congratulations on the Platinum! "You know what you're doing".

EDIT: Also, I definitely agree that overall Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best. The story carries an emotional weight that (for me atleast) is unmatched by the others. The drastic change in the gameplay is also something that I think paid off very well. Not only can you now utilise the traditional Metal Gear Solid style gameplay by running through the levels by manipulating the patrol routes but there is also the camouflage system which allows you to handle it differently and with a slower pace if you wish. The change in the cone of vision also increased the challenge in avoid being seen and made it much more attention to take advantage of when the enemies turned around and without the Sorrow Camo the noise generation also was a big change. The improvement in melee combat with the CQC system (although only basic in Metal Gear Solid 3) and the stamina system (although it could have been implemented better) all add to the atmosphere of the game and make it much easier to approach the areas how you want but, unlike Metal Gear Solid 4 (to me anyway) still promotes stealth over confrontation. It's also absolutely packed with content so that definitely helps as well.

eunao

It can also be seen that the trophy Flashback Mania showed with 273 Flashbacks for me and for Jimi_Dini with 271 flashbacks so it's definitely around there.

This is incorrect, I had to replay the story because I missed one of the flashback and I have 300+ flashbacks. That number only represents how many times you have got flashbacks and that will depend on how many times you have tapped X on cutscenes. So that number might be an inflation of the original one. Not sure if I was clear...

One more emblem down. Four play throughs to go.... ugh

Well, on the bright side, with Stealth you can run through the game very quickly so the only problem really is grinding for the requirements and kills and continues are very easy to get (although very boring) so the only significant problem is the Alerts (and Shadow Moses is great for that). But on the other hand, Act 3 is incredibly tedius, Act 4 is pretty bland and Act 5 is a corridor and credits so you have my sympathy.

And finally, the guide listed in the Original Post is now complete as far as I'm concerned (and I'm way over the character limit so a Big Boss Emblem walkthrough as I intended to add is completely off the limit as a result) so all that is left is to bring the PDF up to speed (which had been done but the internet went down and the changes lost so now it will take another day) and the guide will be safe to use and, mostly, error free.

This is incorrect, I had to replay the story because I missed one of the flashback and I have 300+ flashbacks. That number only represents how many times you have got flashbacks and that will depend on how many times you have tapped X on cutscenes. So that number might be an inflation of the original one. Not sure if I was clear...

Oh, yes, what I was referring to is the number of "unique" flashbacks. The lowest number I have seen so far is "269" and it seems that most people (on PS3Trophies.org at least) that only require one playthrough are ending up with a similar number which would suggest that the number of unique flashbacks is very close to 260.

EDIT: oh, I almost forgot - I got the weapons trophy, when I was still missing one weapon. Just fyi.

That is probably because the emblem unlock weapons (or most of them anyway) are not required as they can be obtained via passwords which is why, if you buy everything you may get it at around 63/64/65 (I haven't checked the list of password-unlockable weapons so that's a rough guess). Either way though, all weapons are still required for the Little Gray Emblem.

Whenever I start going for the trophies (when I get a new PS3, curse my slim for its premature death) I think I'm going to take it slow. Seems like a lot of people are really hurting after trying so hard to get them all as fast as they can.

Seems like it'd be more fun just getting them gradually over a period of time.

eunao

Oh, yes, what I was referring to is the number of "unique" flashbacks. The lowest number I have seen so far is "269" and it seems that most people (on PS3Trophies.org at least) that only require one playthrough are ending up with a similar number which would suggests that the number of unique flashbacks is very close to 260.

That number seems to be the correct one if not lower. I guess no one from Konami can give a definite answer on this.

Act 4:
Total Play Time: 36:05:55
Continues: 84
Alert Phases: 181
Total Kills: 686
LIFE Recovery Items Used: 57
Weapon Types Acquired: 47
Flashbacks Viewed: 166
Special Items: Not Used
CQC Uses: 149
Headshots: 363
Knife Kills/Knockout: 7
Wall Press Time: 03:28:02
Sideway Rolls: 227
Forward Rolls: 662
Crawling Time: 03:37:44
Crouch Walking Time: 09:58:46
Time in Cardboard Box/Drum: 01:11:38
Combat Highs: 23
Weapons/Items Acquired: 1619
Total Drebin Points from Sales: 631105
Current Drebin Points: 608764

I accidentally pressed start during one of those audio flashback. Something about Liquid telling Solid Snake to Die. Will that screw up my chances of getting the flashback mania trophy?

jimi_dini

That is probably because the emblem unlock weapons (or most of them anyway) are not required as they can be obtained via passwords)

Ah yes, forgot about that.

I was missing the Mk.23 back then and yes, that's obtainable via password as well. Although I don't understand why they did that. I mean if it was password-exclusive fine, but the weapon can be collected.

I accidentally pressed start during one of those audio flashback. Something about Liquid telling Solid Snake to Die. Will that screw up my chances of getting the flashback mania trophy?

yes, but it's cumulative, which means continue on with the other flashbacks and on your next playthrough do this specific flashback again. You should get the trophy at that point (if you missed nothing else).

Whenever I start going for the trophies (when I get a new PS3, curse my slim for its premature death) I think I'm going to take it slow. Seems like a lot of people are really hurting after trying so hard to get them all as fast as they can.

Seems like it'd be more fun just getting them gradually over a period of time.

Well, considering I already fulfilled a large portion of the requirements for the Plat before the patch came out (I played through the game 9 times), I think for me getting it over with as quickly as possible is the best way to go about it. There are new games coming out very soon and I want to have this out of the way by then.
Doing that Chicken play through first after not having played the game in years was fun. Doing the BBE run again and not having as much trouble with it this time as I did before was cool.
The rest of the play throughs required are just boring, and no matter how you pace it there's just no way they could be fun, not after I've played through this game 13 times already. I know this game inside and out, and I just want the trophies to prove it.

Ah yes, forgot about that.

I was missing the Mk.23 back then and yes, that's obtainable via password as well. Although I don't understand why they did that. I mean if it was password-exclusive fine, but the weapon can be collected.
My guess is that they wanted to avoid giving an "advantage" to players that had finished the game before the patch (who could access the Password menu immediately) or to people who had knowledge of the Passwords over those who didn't (similarly to why Little Gray only requires 69 weapons and not the complete 70 when including Big Boss' pistol the 1911 Custom) but I agree, it's very odd since you need them all anyway and it's not like the few extra ones will add anything to the time required to Platinum it.

Also, Stunandslab, are you doing the others on Hard mode? They're still tedius admittedly but it's more enjoyable than just running through everything on Easy at least (even if slightly longer).

i-Lo

I'm a bit confused as to why the game requires so many playthroughs.

Are some of the items listed in the trophy guide only available upon completion of the game in certain ways?

Also with regards to boss fights from B&B corps: Given the
two segment
battles can I use conventional weapons at first and
follow up with tranquillizer gun when they are in their exposed state
?

Please note that I have played the game fully when it launched.

StuBurns

Banned
No, non-lethal for both for a non-lethal playthru. If you're just after the dolls/solar gun, you only have to non-lethal the beast, not the beauty. But you get their faces for non-lethal defeats of the beauties.

i-Lo

No, non-lethal for both for a non-lethal playthru. If you're just after the dolls/solar gun, you only have to non-lethal the beast, not the beauty. But you get their faces for non-lethal defeats of the beauties.

But going non-lethal for both will yield the same result plus their face camo, correct? Thank you btw.

Also, to anyone, please refer to my earlier post for the first question.

jimi_dini

No, non-lethal for both for a non-lethal playthru.

You can kill the beast lethally and it won't count as a kill.
You won't get the doll in that case, but players need to get it once only. After that killing it non-lethally is not needed.

About those items. You get some weapons by achieving specific emblems for beating the game in a specific way (for example Big Boss emblem will give you the patriot). If you don't kill anyone, you will get the bandana. If you don't trigger an alert, you will get stealth. However you can't use those 2 items to get the Big Boss emblem. And you will get the solar gun (which you can and should use for Big Boss), if you get all 5 dolls (4 for non-lethally beating the beasts and 1 for non-lethally beating the frogs in act 1). You don't have to collect all the dolls in one playthrough.

Are some of the items listed in the trophy guide only available upon completion of the game in certain ways?

two segment
?

Regarding your first part, "Snake Eater" requires every emblem (the iPod Song) which requires a minimum of eight playthroughs to obtain.

The reason for so many can be clearly seen by looking at these emblems
The One Who Knocks Original Post said:
33.) Tarantula - Get fewer than 75 alerts, over 250 kills, and fewer than 25 continues. ; Use the turret in Act 2 on Vista Mansion's roof to farm kills without alerts.
34.) Centipede - Get fewer than 75 alerts, fewer than 250 kills, and over 25 continues. ; Shoot Meryl in Act 5 to get continues.
35.) Spider - Get fewer than 75 alerts, over 250 kills, and over 25 continues. ; Use the turret in Act 2 on Vista Mansion's roof to farm kills without alerts and kill Meryl for continues.
36.) Jaguar - Get over 75 alert phases, fewer than 250 kills, and fewer than 25 continues. ; In Shadow Moses in the Upper Vent before exitting into the Tank Hangar shoot a loud gun to get an Alert. Repeat this.
37.) Panther - Get over 75 alerts, over 250 kills, and fewer than 25 continues. ; In Shadow Moses in the Upper Vent before exitting into the Tank Hangar shoot a loud gun to get an Alert. Repeat this. Use the turret in Act 2 on Vista Mansion's roof to farm kills without alerts.
38.) Leopard - Get over 75 alert phases, fewer than 250 kills, and over 25 continues. ; In Shadow Moses in the Upper Vent before exitting into the Tank Hangar shoot a loud gun to get an Alert. Repeat this. Kill Meryl in Act 5 for Continues.

All of the numbers with those emblems have slightly different requirements which means you need one playthrough each.

For example:

38.) Leopard - Get over 75 alert phases, fewer than 250 kills, and over 25 continues
36.) Jaguar - Get over 75 alert phases, fewer than 250 kills, and fewer than 25 continues. ;

As we can see, they both require 75+ alerts and less than 250 kills BUT they both require different amount of continues. These emblems are all mutually exclusive and you cannot get a few of those emblems at the same time (Tarantula is slightly different in that you can get the Assassin emblem with it).

This means Chicken gets you 22 emblems at once (if you fulfill all the requirements of course), Big Boss gets you 9, Tarantula gets you 2 (Assassin and Tarantula), and then you're left with 6 more playthroughs (which brings you to 39 emblems and then Little Gray can be gotten with anything else).

StuBurns

Banned
But going non-lethal for both will yield the same result plus their face camo, correct? Thank you btw.

Yes, if you do both halves non-lethally, you'll get the faces, and the dolls will appear (you still have to collect them), then on completion, you'll get the solar gun. Although don't forget, you need to take out the post-Meryl meeting encounter with the frogs non-lethally, and get that doll too.
You won't get the doll in that case, but players need to get it once only. After that killing it non-lethally is not needed.
My mistake, cool.

iLLmAtlc

Hey thanks for testing it out. When I did it I positioned myself exactly like the 2nd pic and I noticed in your video you never tried that position. So make sure Snake is between the crate and the machine and facing the same direction. Or better yet have the pic beside you and just copy it exactly. Perhaps that might be it?

I wish I could help try but I have no save file in that area on extreme and I'm also studying for a final exam so I can't really afford to start a new one and make my way over there.

Hey thanks for testing it out. When I did it I positioned myself exactly like the 2nd pic and I noticed in your video you never tried that position. Perhaps that might be it?

I wish I could help try but I have no save file in that area on extreme and I'm also studying for a final exam so I can't really afford to start a new one and make my way over there.

It's no problem at all. I tried to get in the position at 1:38 but then I crawled forward a little at the end so maybe that is the problem? I'll go back and try again if you think it was the crawl at the end that is messing it up.

Ridley327

two segment
?

It's more because of the emblem requirements, particularly since you need all of them to unlock the final MP3, and you need to do several playthroughs since a few of the emblems can't be earned when going for others.

StuBurns

Banned
If I use the mantis doll on Screaming mantis. Will that count as a kill?
Nope.

That fight is strange, it feels like there was meant to be a more difficult non-lethal way to do it involving the sorrow doll, and they just had to adjust it when the other thing didn't come together, or something.

Nope.

That fight is strange, it feels like there was meant to be a more difficult non-lethal way to do it involving the sorrow doll, and they just had to adjust it when the other thing didn't come together, or something.
Ok. Good because I tried to tranq her and her psyche never went down. I was worried since both her health and psyche decreased with the mantis doll.

I used the sorrow doll on the dead frog. It didn't work, or maybe I wasn't shaking my controller enough.

iLLmAtlc

Hey the one who knocks I just thought of an idea. Perhaps you can upload your save file at laughing octopus and send it to me so I can try? I'm pretty curious myself and at first I was thinking about starting a new file and just sprinting through with stealh camo lol.

But if it's too much trouble don't worry about it I'll just try it in a few days... or do the stealth camo thing >_>

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Where I can see ya was removed wasn't it? I've plugged enemies but no trophy pop. Lame is so, since the Scanning Plug is pretty useless (outside of enemy intel, I guess) otherwise. :/

Watching Raiden's ending always bring a tear to my eye. Didn't get Flashback Mania, so gonna have to see spam the x button on all cutscenes.
Got all 22 emblems on my chicken run. Now, debating if I should do the dreaded BBE run lol.

i-Lo

About those items. You get some weapons by achieving specific emblems for beating the game in a specific way (for example Big Boss emblem will give you the patriot). If you don't kill anyone, you will get the bandana. If you don't trigger an alert, you will get stealth. However you can't use those 2 items to get the Big Boss emblem. And you will get the solar gun (which you can and should use for Big Boss), if you get all 5 dolls (4 for non-lethally beating the beasts and 1 for non-lethally beating the frogs in act 1). You don't have to collect all the dolls in one playthrough.

Regarding your first part, "Snake Eater" requires every emblem (the iPod Song) which requires a minimum of eight playthroughs to obtain.

The reason for so many can be clearly seen by looking at these emblems

All of the numbers with those emblems have slightly different requirements which means you need one playthrough each.

For example:

38.) Leopard - Get over 75 alert phases, fewer than 250 kills, and over 25 continues
36.) Jaguar - Get over 75 alert phases, fewer than 250 kills, and fewer than 25 continues. ;

As we can see, they both require 75+ alerts and less than 250 kills BUT they both require different amount of continues. These emblems are all mutually exclusive and you cannot get a few of those emblems at the same time (Tarantula is slightly different in that you can get the Assassin emblem with it).

This means Chicken gets you 22 emblems at once (if you fulfill all the requirements of course), Big Boss gets you 9, Tarantula gets you 2 (Assassin and Tarantula), and then you're left with 6 more playthroughs (which brings you to 39 emblems and then Little Gray can be gotten with anything else).

Yes, if you do both halves non-lethally, you'll get the faces, and the dolls will appear (you still have to collect them), then on completion, you'll get the solar gun. Although don't forget, you need to take out the post-Meryl meeting encounter with the frogs non-lethally, and get that doll too.

My mistake, cool.

It's more because of the emblem requirements, particularly since you need all of them to unlock the final MP3, and you need to do several playthroughs since a few of the emblems can't be earned when going for others.

Thank all of you so much for the clarifications. Your contributions have been thoroughly acknowledged.

Two other queries:

1. I assume I can play on easy mode for all playthroughs?

2. Does it count as continue if I quit the game after dying (or just even after restarting the game without continuous play) and reloading the last save checkpoint I manually created?

Did you know about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zi-lA9Nlc&t=4m0s

:D :D

I love this player. He also did many more hilarious videos of MGS3
For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBDcbx6Z2so (what's even more hilarious: he plays on extreme)

HAHAHA oh man everything after the 9 minute mark was awesome. I loved that domino effect on the guards.
I believe I have seen a similar video of messing with guards in South America and using the drum can. I'm not sure if it was the same guy or not, but the style of the video is very similar so I'm thinking probably.

EDIT: The One Who Knocks - no, I've been playing on Easy in the interest of time. I did my Assassin/Tarantula play through on Normal, though, and it wasn't much different, since I'm just using the stealth camo to run through the game anyway. Since I'm using stealth all the difficulty level really does is make the boss fights take a little longer... and I'd rather they didn't

If you want to regain life, forward the date of your PS3. For each day Old Snake recovers 25% of your life. From ps3trophies.org

Gonna do a quick easy run. I'm missing the posters, the militia disguise, flashback mania and need to stock up on tranq ammo.

Ein Bear

For anyone still working on/about to start their Chicken runs, I can confirm that Ant/Gibbon/Bee can all be done on the same enemy repeatedly.

For example, grab a guy with a CQC hold, then knock him out with the syringe. This will count as one towards your Bee emblem. If you then wake him up (crouch down and press Triangle a few times), you can grab and syringe him again, and it will count a second time towards your emblem. Do this 50 times, then swap to holding him up and body searching him for Ant/Gibbon instead.

A good guy to do this on is the Resistance member at the very start of Act 3.

If you're struggling with using enough life recovery items too (I couldn't get any of the unlimited ration tricks working for me), then the Heliport Chaff Grenade trick during Act 5 re-sets all the items in the area too, allowing you to collect about 5 rations between the Snowfield and the Heliport area as many times as you need.

Massive thanks to The One Who Knocks, your guide was amazingly useful for doing the Chicken run! :) Just about to do a BBE run, and it should be all downhill to the Platinum!

Ridley327

Thank all of you so much for the clarifications. Your contributions have been thoroughly acknowledged.

Two other queries:

1. I assume I can play on easy mode for all playthroughs?

2. Does it count as continue if I quit the game after dying (or just even after restarting the game without continuous play) and reloading the last save checkpoint I manually created?

You will need to do a Big Boss playthrough on Extreme (no kills, no deaths/continues, no recovery items and less than 5 hours) to earn the Big Boss emblem, as that not only unlocks several of the other emblems, but also contains a MP3 that is needed for the whole lot of them.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Reliving this game's story and cutscenes is rough. At least most of the gameplay is still solid.

Top Bottom