• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

jimi_dini

Did you play non-stop since the patch? Just wondering how its possible already.

Nah, I got chicken by leaving my PS3 on for the first 2-3 days and played just a bit. I wasn't even that fast mostly because I had to go to work during the week. Otherwise I would have been done maybe on friday. I was only able to play a few hours during the week. Got BBE done on friday and then there were just 6 playthroughs left. Using stealth camo and bonus weapons meant each playthrough taking around 3 hours.

First platinum was achieved on thursday 6am by a Japanese player. Could have done that as well without my work ;)

Nah, I got chicken by leaving my PS3 on for the first 2-3 days and played just a bit. I wasn't even that fast mostly because I had to go to work during the week. Otherwise I would have been done maybe on friday. I was only able to play a few hours during the week. Got BBE done on friday and then there were just 6 playthroughs left. Using stealth camo and bonus weapons meant each playthrough taking around 3 hours.

First platinum was achieved on thursday 6am by a Japanese player. Could have done that as well without my work ;)

Haha great stuff. Fair effort. Im struggling to find the time to finish this once - up to act 4 :(.

Does anyone know if the "Beyond the Bounds" iPod track (which has the effect of increasing non-lethal weapon damage) is effective for bosses, as well as normal enemies? I've never seen it mentioned, and Google has failed me.

This says 'ordinary soldiers'.

I had used 30 recovery items by the end of Act 1, and I wasn't really trying. At the end of act 4, I've used 80. I'm pretty sure compresses count.

Desmond

I've given up platting an MGS game after getting fed up grinding in PW. I'll tey to 50% all them and leave it at that. I could possibly plat 3 but I dunno....

Congrats on the MGS4 plat!!!!!

Ein Bear

I've given up platting an MGS game after getting fed up grinding in PW. I'll tey to 50% all them and leave it at that. I could possibly play 3 but I dunno....

Congrats on the MGS4 plat!!!!!

3 has a really easy plat, you can get it in a single playthrough.

Looki what I got here.

aAjfel.jpg

:D
Grats man! Thinking of doing my BBE right after my chicken run. Not sure if I have enough chaff grenades when I need them.

Ein Bear

How do you get the Kerotan in the post-Sorrow bit? I was trying to stab it with the fork earlier, but to no avail.

You have to go to the waterfall and meet up with EVA first to get your equipment back. Then go back out, through the waterfall, and shoot it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gonna patch it today and not for the trophies but for the single install.

They're both too short. Especially 5.

The ending of Act 4 (beast fight onward) could be my favorite part of a game. It's just insane from the Beast fight, to a
fight with vamp , the weird split screen fight/cutscene, the piloting Rex and fighting Ray
. It's flawed for sure but it's so insane and action packed. Fighting out in the snow always makes me smile.

Ein Bear

The ending of Act 4 (beast fight onward) could be my favorite part of a game. It's just insane from the Beast fight, to a
fight with vamp , the weird split screen fight/cutscene, the piloting Rex and fighting Ray
. It's flawed for sure but it's so insane and action packed. Fighting out in the snow always makes me smile.

I completely agree with this, except with the caveat that I utterly hate the boss fight with Crying Wolf.

Otacon's Blu Ray joke through to the end of the Act though, is all complete gold.

The trophy counts images that you have seen. Maybe you didn't press X/O fast enough on that one.

Would be cool if we can pool some numbers. Like, how many flashbacks did players have who got the trophy etc. Maybe even for each Act. Or is that info already available elsewhere?

The number is listed during the briefings.

E.g. My fresh savegame from just the beginning of Act 2 (after the first cutscene) has 56 flashbacks.
Possibly missing a few already because I didn't press X fast during the first ones. It was enough to get 5k DP as a reward after the Act though.

StuBurns

Banned
I really wouldn't like to play MGS3 on 360, no analog buttons so you can't hold a machine gun up without firing right? End of 3 must be a chore.

Ein Bear

I really wouldn't like to play MGS3 on 360, no analog buttons so you can't hold a machine gun up without firing right? End of 3 must be a chore.

On the Vita, you can tap down on the D-Pad to raise/lower your weapon without firing it. (This is massively useful on MGS1 Snake's VR Hold Up missions in MGS2, where you start with a machine gun.) I imagine the Xbox version does something similar.

jimi_dini

Not sure if I have enough chaff grenades when I need them.

You probably need 1 for the act 4 hangar, 1 for the area right after the beast/beauty fight in act 4, 1 or maybe even 2 for the area directly after that (after going down with the elevator). And a final one for the second corridor in act 5.

You could save yourself one chaff by sneaking through the hangar. That one is quite easy. The other areas are much harder without chaff and the act 5 one isn't that bad, but you will lose a bit of health. I'm not sure, if this affects the microwave scene at all, I never died there, but maybe it will. For sneaking just enter the hangar via crawl space and not through the door. best way: go to the upper ledge in the helipad area and crawl through. Now you should be on a ledge within the hangar. Just look for the robots and jump down at the right moment. After that immediately continue onwards. You should not get spotted that way.

So that's 4-5 chaffs in total that you need.

Chaffs are:
- in act 1, IF you already got 1-2 chaffs only, just equip during the shootout sequence and walk near Johnny. He may give you some more. If you already got too many, he won't
- in act 2 in the confinement facility, in the large house right before the villa map - just go in through the door on the left side, go through another door and you will reach a corridor, turn right and go in the door to your right, which will get you into a storage room, chaffs are in there
- in act 2 in the market place with the gekkos (after the shooting segment) - they are right before the end of the map on your left inside a stall
- in act 3 but you need to go to the area, that you normally wouldn't reach at all, if you handle the resistance member properly - it's at the left upper side of the canal area, which you can access by leading the resistance member properly and then when you reached the end of this first map, just backtrack a bit up the stairs, where the resistance member walked down and there will be a path to the canal area map
- in act 4 helipad right at the start

and note: I think it's 2 chaffs per pickup. I'm not sure though.

StuBurns

Banned
On the Vita, you can tap down on the D-Pad to raise/lower your weapon without firing it. (This is massively useful on MGS1 Snake's VR Hold Up missions in MGS2, where you start with a machine gun.) I imagine the Xbox version does something similar.
That's not so bad then.

I just finished 3, it really is incredible. There's a persistent debate as to which Metal Gear is the best, and on GAF generally 3 is favored. While I prefer 2 in how bold and risky it was, truly doing something unique within the medium, 4 in it's core gameplay design, 1 in more or less being the beginning of 'filmic' action games, and truly putting someone in the role of an action hero in a game, I think on reflection, 3 is the complete package.

There are things I felt were worthless additions, hunting/curing/CQCing/camouflage, they can effectively be ignored for the vast majority of the game, and outside of those things, what remains is the strongest entry in the series. Really stunning stuff.

Would be cool if we can pool some numbers. Like, how many flashbacks did players have who got the trophy etc. Maybe even for each Act. Or is that info already available elsewhere?

The number is listed during the briefings.

E.g. My fresh savegame from just the beginning of Act 2 (after the first cutscene) has 56 flashbacks.
Possibly missing a few already because I didn't press X fast during the first ones. It was enough to get 5k DP as a reward after the Act though.

I can't remember what I had at the end of Act 2 but I think it was something like 86. Even at the end of the game there's no even numbers, so don't get worried over that.

jimi_dini

It's not consistent for everyone.
For example one had:

Act 1: 40, Act 2: 105, Act 3: 143, Act 4: 205, Act 5: 271 (right from the act completion screen)

I forgot that the Rose flashback has multiple entries, which means it will go on and on and on. I skipped the cutscene after the first flashback series and didn't get the trophy. But went through the whole scene on the next playthrough and it popped.

A really good way to check is the DP award. If you get it, you didn't miss any. Of course it's a pain, if you didn't get it, because then you probably don't know which one is missing. At least you will know which act you are missing on.

I just finished 3, it really is incredible

Agree
MGS3 is the best, especially with 60fps. MGS2 is a close second for me. MGS4 has all sorts of design flaws, really limited codec conversations, bad story, etc. (they went crazy with the codec in MGS3, do almost anything and you will be able to talk about it via codec, kill/eat an animal -> codec, hide in a box -> codec with Sigint, so many funny things to do). Even in MGS2 there were many many codec easter eggs. In MGS4 almost nothing at all :( I hoped for many more because of the blu-ray disc space.

MGS2 examples here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwjSHk1Q3po & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJXKV0eXKcs
MGS3 examples here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKo2xCgIF94

Ein Bear

That's not so bad then.

I just finished 3, it really is incredible. There's a persistent debate as to which Metal Gear is the best, and on GAF generally 3 is favored. While I prefer 2 in how bold and risky it was, truly doing something unique within the medium, 4 in it's core gameplay design, 1 in more or less being the beginning of 'filmic' action games, and truly putting someone in the role of an action hero in a game, I think on reflection, 3 is the complete package.

There are things I felt were worthless additions, hunting/curing/CQCing/camouflage, they can effectively be ignored for the vast majority of the game, and outside of those things, what remains is the strongest entry in the series. Really stunning stuff.

Agreed. One of my favourite things about the MGS series is how unique each installment feels to the rest of the series, with their own tone and quirks, but MGS3 is definitely the most solidely put together of the bunch. I love everything about Snake Eater, it's just so full of charm and character, from the 1960s Bond Movie theme (I'm stiiiiill in a dreeeeeam, Snaaake Eaaaaaater!), the insane amount of funny, quirky codec calls, to the great story and top notch presentation. Every area in the game feels incredibly well designed, like the whole game is this giant playground to mess around with all the gameplay options at your disposal. It's just a great, great experience from start to finish.

I wasn't on GAF back then, but I'd love to know what the reception was like when they first showed it off. It can't have been what ANYONE was expecting after MGS2.

Ridley327

Agreed. One of my favourite things about the MGS series is how unique each installment feels to the rest of the series, with their own tone and quirks, but MGS3 is definitely the most solidely put together of the bunch. I love everything about Snake Eater, it's just so full of charm and character, from the 1960s Bond Movie theme (I'm stiiiiill in a dreeeeeam, Snaaake Eaaaaaater!), the insane amount of funny, quirky codec calls, to the great story and top notch presentation. Every area in the game feels incredibly well designed, like the whole game is this giant playground to mess around with all the gameplay options at your disposal. It's just a great, great experience from start to finish.

I wasn't on GAF back then, but I'd love to know what the reception was like when they first showed it off. It can't have been what ANYONE was expecting after MGS2.

You pretty much nailed it; when the small clip from the first trailer was leaked, people were even doubting its veracity.

I could only imagine how much crazier the reaction would have been if not for the leak and everyone had to wait until Sony's press conference to find out about it.

You probably need 1 for the act 4 hangar, 1 for the area right after the beast/beauty fight in act 4, 1 or maybe even 2 for the area directly after that (after going down with the elevator). And a final one for the second corridor in act 5.

You could save yourself one chaff by sneaking through the hangar. That one is quite easy. The other areas are much harder without chaff and the act 5 one isn't that bad, but you will lose a bit of health. I'm not sure, if this affects the microwave scene at all, I never died there, but maybe it will. For sneaking just enter the hangar via crawl space and not through the door. best way: go to the upper ledge in the helipad area and crawl through. Now you should be on a ledge within the hangar. Just look for the robots and jump down at the right moment. After that immediately continue onwards. You should not get spotted that way.

So that's 4-5 chaffs in total that you need.

Chaffs are:
- in act 1, IF you already got 1-2 chaffs only, just equip during the shootout sequence and walk near Johnny. He may give you some more. If you already got too many, he won't
- in act 2 in the confinement facility, in the large house right before the villa map - just go in through the door on the left side, go through another door and you will reach a corridor, turn right and go in the door to your right, which will get you into a storage room, chaffs are in there
- in act 2 in the market place with the gekkos (after the shooting segment) - they are right before the end of the map on your left inside a stall
- in act 3 but you need to go to the area, that you normally wouldn't reach at all, if you handle the resistance member properly - it's at the left upper side of the canal area, which you can access by leading the resistance member properly and then when you reached the end of this first map, just backtrack a bit up the stairs, where the resistance member walked down and there will be a path to the canal area map
- in act 4 helipad right at the start

and note: I think it's 2 chaffs per pickup. I'm not sure though.
Actually, you don't even need that many Chaff Grenades in Act 4 if you're careful. I only used one, and it was in the old hallway with the bottomless pits. Everywhere else you can get through just by sneaking around or killing Gekkos.

jimi_dini

Actually, you don't even need that many Chaff Grenades in Act 4 if you're careful. I only used one, and it was in the old hallway with the bottomless pits. Everywhere else you can get through just by sneaking around or killing Gekkos.

You can sneak everywhere even through that bottomless pit area (but the corridor of act 5 of course), but it's not that easy and it's also wasting some time. So if one has chaff grenades for the big boss run, then better use them. Getting them is pretty easy and doesn't waste time (both in act 2 and the one in act 4). The first one in act 2 costs around 10-20 seconds, the others maybe around 2-3 seconds to get.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Got my chicken emblem with only 20 emblems:-(

Anyways just to reconfirm that the PS3Trophies guide for the flashbacks works as I got the trophy.

Oh and the last boss fight with
Ocelot? Liquid? Nanomahines?
is still one of the best, ever.

Ein Bear

Random observation, but I just finished the game again for my Chicken Run, and they play the classic Metal Gear Solid theme quite a few times during the end-game cutscenes and credits, and it's also a collectable iPod tune.

Just saying, since didn't we have thread a week or so ago complaining about how Konami didn't use the theme anymore after that Russian composer thing, and how MGS4 wasn't the same without it? :S

McNum

So, an odd question here...

In the MGS1 flashback before Act 4, does killing guards count as kills? Does dying count as a Continue? How do you do that in a Big Boss run, anyway? Just suicide as fast as possible?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Random observation, but I just finished the game again for my Chicken Run, and they play the classic Metal Gear Solid theme quite a few times during the end-game cutscenes and credits, and it's also a collectable iPod tune.

Just saying, since didn't we have thread a week or so ago complaining about how Konami didn't use the theme anymore after that Russian composer thing, and how MGS4 wasn't the same without it? :S

It's still not the same without it:p

In the MGS1 flashback before Act 4, does killing guards count as kills? Does dying count as a Continue? How do you do that in a Big Boss run, anyway? Just suicide as fast as possible?

This. Same with Alerts! ?

KAOz

Short bus special

Isn't it slightly rearranged though? I don't think it is THE theme.

The flashback doesn't count towards kills, alerts or whatever. I'm not sure if it counts towards time but the best thing to do would be to just get to exit as quick as possible. You can go through the ground floor vent without even getting an alert if you're sneaky enough.

Yeah, the theme in this one, Metal Gear Saga, is a rearrangement of the old theme. It's not the same, but I still personally like it. The part where Snake and Ocelot inject each other at the end was done really well.

You get the camera during one of the briefings.

Steroyd

w00t!

Naked Big Boss Emblem run done in 4 hours 29 minutes, there were times where I thought it was impossible because I didn't have anything, but I made it. T_T

Now for the chicken run, it's going to be so fun to slaughter all those motherfuckers who caused me grief.

Top Bottom