• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

I'm seeing the 5 minute gameplay trailer. It looks like the script and dialogue is significantly improved. Voice acting feels very real too. I'm optimistic about this.

Nibel

I don't think we're dealing with clones here. Ishmael could be some element of his psyche pulling him forward, which is why it acts so crassly by not physically helping Big Boss walk.

This might be one possibility - but there were scenes in the previous trailers with other NPCs which reacted to Ishmael as well if I remember correctly

AniHawk

Then why would you be excited for MGS5? It's pretty clear that Kojima is never going to scale back his cinematic aspirations and narrative bloat.

mgs3 felt more like mgs1 where he was able to marry the two better. if mgs5 comes out and it's as disappointing as mgs4 apparently was, i can just skip it too. all i have to go off now is a trailer that seems interesting, and the promise of new ideas from kojima for this project.

Burt

Anywhere I can read up on some analysis/speculation? There was a whole lot going on in that trailer and I feel like a lot of it went over my head.

Big Boss's fake arm is on his right.
Edit: meant left >.>

No, I'm not saying it IS Galvez, just that he's apparently using the same/similar hand.
He DID take it at the end of Peacewalker....

galvez_zpsc5316da6.jpg

Quite a beautiful trailer. wow.

Maybe I should finally play Peace Walker, I've had the HD collection since day one but in my mind I always wanted to finish Portable Ops 1st, which I can never get through coz it's so horrendous to control.

AHA-Lambda

I'm getting the impression I need to replay Peace Walker and unlock Chapter 5 this time =/

I don't think we're dealing with clones here. Ishmael could be some element of his psyche pulling him forward, which is why it acts so crassly by not physically helping Big Boss walk.

Could make sense given all the other stuff we've seen so far implying hallucinations.

No David Hayter?? Well that makes Snake far less interesting to me. He IS Snake and without him the character would seem weird. Sure he may show up as Solid Snake or something but right now, I dunno, not really as hyped as I thought I would be

gryz

Banned
lack of david hayter, joakim not being cgi, and that awful song in the trailer are all combining to make me not very excited

I think Hayter will return. As many people have said, you can't exactly speak normally when you wake up from a 9 year coma.

I imagine Hayter will return later in the game.

Sheroking

When it moves forward it becomes Snatcher

Given how utterly laughable and convoluted the storyline is at this point, could they not pull some deus-ex machina reset bullshit out and have it be business as usual?

What little interest I had in playing as big boss died the second they said Hayter wasn't voicing him.

I think Hayter will return. As many people have said, you can't exactly speak normally when you wake up from a 9 year coma.

You get Hayter to do the voice a little differently.

SkylineRKR

Hallucination?

2 Phantoms are born. He suffers from Phantom Pain. So he 'creates' Ishmael which is the name of the narrator from Moby Dick.

I wouldn't be surprised if its some sort of hallucination or internal struggle he has to deal with.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hayter has unfortunately been worse with each MGS game. Kiefer's a great choice and I'm glad for the change.

Igo

I'm seeing the 5 minute gameplay trailer. It looks like the script and dialogue is significantly improved. Voice acting feels very real too. I'm optimistic about this.
Really? Kiefer is voicing this like it's Jack giving orders to Tony instead of some dude who can barely crawl. Came across as a bit unnatural to me.

RangerBAD

lack of david hayter, joakim not being cgi, and that awful song in the trailer are all combining to make me not very excited

Haytar didn't do Big Boss in MGS4. This seems to be the natural course of things (aside from the poor voice choice). I don't get why it's so hard to come to terms with.

Hayter has unfortunately been worse with each MGS game. Kiefer's a great choice and I'm glad for the change.

I wanted Kurt Russell!

sappyday

Am I the only one not impressed by the trailer? :/ it's nothing really new, just some similar GZ footage and almost all the Phantom Pain footage together. People seem to be excited just cos it's Metal Gear and just cos it was confirmed to be both GZ and PP together

That's good enough.

what the hell is with that horn. and i still think that big boss losing his hand and somehow keeping it secret for like a dozen games is weird.

but everything else looks really neat and better than MGS4: Serious Mythology Self-Fellation

Raiden

Banned
Sutherland is not voicing Snake.

Did some of you not watch the trailer ? It was obvious who was talking.

Just assumed so because of the ending shot we saw Big Boss on his bike and just thougt it was inner monologue or something like that. I should rewatch it. Do we know who voices Big Boss then?

Burt

2 Phantoms are born. He suffers from Phantom Pain. So he 'creates' Ishmael which is the name of the narrator from Moby Dick.

I wouldn't be surprised if its some sort of hallucination or internal struggle he has to deal with.

Breaking news: giant burning aerial whales don't actually exist. Hallucinations are going to be a huge part of this game, at least initially out of the hospital.

The whale's probably a Metal Gear.

Tom_Cody

WAAAAYYYY before. It's set 9 years after Peace Walker, if I'm right in thinking. It shows the destruction of
Mother Base
in the trailer
Or 9 years after he was thought to have died in Metal Gear 2.

Based on the trailer I think it's possible that the game takes place in multiple time periods.

AFAIK there was never any mention of a bionic hand in Metal Gear 1 & 2 which both take place after Peace Walker.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I imagine Hayter will return later in the game.

He doesn't sound like Hayter at the end of the trailer (while on the motorcycle)

Kiefer isn't playing _____ Snake.

pants

Given how utterly laughable and convoluted the storyline is at this point, could they not pull some deus-ex machina reset bullshit out and have it be business as usual?

What little interest I had in playing as big boss died the second they said Hayter wasn't voicing him.
Technically they have already retconned Snatcher out, since no one died in 1996

EDIT: Also no space colony in 2013 as per policenauts

BadAss2961

Am I the only one not impressed by the trailer? :/ it's nothing really new, just some similar GZ footage and almost all the Phantom Pain footage together. People seem to be excited just cos it's Metal Gear and just cos it was confirmed to be both GZ and PP together
I thought the trailer was pretty cool, but the Ground Zeroes reveal did leave much more of an impression on me.

On a side note, i'm not feeling the same level of hype that I did for the rest of the numbered games. Not even close... This game will be great, and I'll definitely be there day 1, but MGS4 brought closure to the whole series for me. To continue with another game seems a little extra -- and this is my favorite series of all time.

Top Bottom