• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

Grief.exe

So does running on PC mean its coming out for PC for reals?

No.

Most games are developed and ported from PCs down to consoles.

I believe Konami's push towards Steam and the level of visual fidelity would point towards a PC release, or at the very least Cross-Gen. The release date and visual fidelity would mean that cross-gen is pretty much confirmed.

All that is confirmed right now is Phantom Pain + Ground Zeroes is MGSV, and the game is coming to 360/PS3.

igor

Does anyone have images from the lightning presentation?
God that model they use for Snake is damn hot.

Folks... I think we're good. Loads of awesome games to play, next gen 'round the corner, huge backlogs to play through...and now...MGS5. Fucking MGS5. Officially out there. I LOVE GAMING! \o/

The Door's "People Are Strange" would have been a great choice.

I think Big Boss has a look-a-like in the game and it's not Solid Snake.

Could be Solidus. Remember, he ages waaaay faster than the other 2, and he appeared old in the viral marketing for Revengeance while training Raiden in the 80s as a child soldier.

I was wondering why the clean-shaven guy is asking the doctors, "What happened to him?" when the doc just said Snake is in a coma.

But the camera zooms out quickly to reveal a bed where the camera is positioned. So there's two Snakes in the hospital then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Pgt8armg0A

This is the Japanese trailer on Konami's channel. The most important detail I feel is that the trailer actually has a lyric translation for the Garbage song throughout the trailer, in Japanese, on the side. This clearly indicates that for this trailer in particular, the song was picked very deliberately by Kojima for the lyrics to go with the visuals. It works really well imo.

Also, I dunno if it has been mentioned (thread's huge), but the opening scene in the trailer with Big Boss going into a coma... is actually a first person scene from another character. Miller even addresses it at the end with "what about him?" Could the entire thing be a diversion? Are we not actually playing Big Boss?

we're Chico, that bandage guy is older chico. Kojima is gonna pull another Raiden switcheroo. :)

Tookay

I've got a feeling that all the shit in the hospital is part of Major Zero fucking with Big Boss.

Ocelot and co. maybe be rescuing him or in on it.

Laranja

I have a hard time believing that's PS360 footage.
Also no PC? :(

Yeah, I think the game looks fantastic. The textures and models don't look like much of a bump compared to current-gen, but all the effects used make it look amazing. I really wish it would look like this on my PS3, but I'm pretty sure it won't.

gwarm01

Awesome. I swear there is a specific goosebump response hard-coded into the human genome for Metal Gear Solid trailers.

I'm excited. These games always leave me feeling, like, whoa by the end if nothing else.

Um they said he was in VFib. Defibrillation is the #1 action to take in Ventricular Fibrillation. Didn't catch if it actually looked like VFib on the monitor, have to watch again.

EDIT: can't tell due to the DOF.

I'm not sure but it looked like people were holding onto the body still when they yelled clear. Do these people want to get shocked?!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Big Boss is definitely not voiced by Kiefer Sutherland. The bandaged guy is but not BB.

Sigh. There are two characters in the scene, Ishmael (bandages) and Big Boss (initially first person view, then changing perspective to third person after a while). They're having a conversation. I'm referring to Big Boss's lines here. Both characters in the scene are clearly voiced by Kiefer with different intonations. "What happened to the woman" is Big Boss speaking, not Ishmael. Easy to get confused since they're being voiced by the same person ;b

So can anyone put context to Liquid Snake's line in MGS1 when he says "Father was wounded from combat and in a coma when they brought him in." ?

Going to guess that, most of the shit going on is a figment of Big bosses imagination, both him and the guy helping him have the same voice, fire version on Volgin for example.

I can see the overall topic being PTSD, it's current hot topic and most war games are going to include it their stories for a while.

The horror of war was the flavor of the month for the past year, next yeah its PTSD.

MrOddbird

Neo Member
Wait a second!

At the beginning of the trailer Miller (presumably) says "What about him?". The shaky camera tells that we are looking from a certain person's perspective, yet it is not Snake nor Miller.

So the question is?

Are there three persons in the operation room? Who is this third person?

In a previous trailer for "Ground Zeroes", we had Big Boss talking about going to rescue Paz and Chico. Is that supposed to take place before or after his coma? Chico (if that was him in the cage?) looked like a kid.

Before.

Mr. Burns took all his XOF troops to destroy Mother Base. We see snippets of that attack in this new trailer, the attack is also the one that leaves Biggie in a coma.

I've got a feeling that all the shit in the hospital is part of Major Zero fucking with Big Boss.

Ocelot and co. maybe be rescuing him or in on it.

Ocelot was practically in love with Big Boss. He and Eva fought to free him after Snake burned him to near-death.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Who was this supposed to be anyway? Ocelot?

2013-03-2720_52_25-_mk7lny.png

tumblr_lxk2mvTFDY1r9ehrio1_400.jpg

Emwitus

Sigh. There are two characters in the scene, Ishmael (bandages) and Big Boss (initially first person view, then changing perspective to third person after a while). They're having a conversation. I'm referring to Big Boss's lines here. Both characters in the scene are clearly voiced by Kiefer with different intonations. "What happened to the woman" is Big Boss speaking, not Ishmael. Easy to get confused since they're being voiced by the same person ;b

Pretty much

Cocaine

Banned
This isn't next gen? Why does this game look so good? New engine? That's it?

Games no longer need film adaptation (as if they ever did) anymore because these games just look pretty darn real.

I can definitely see Microsoft demanding that multiplat next-gen games (at least a few of them, anyway) not be announced by their devs/publishers until after they officially reveal the next XBox. Don't want big games like this to only be equated with PS4 in peoples' minds for any amount of time.

Trailer was great.

But a lot of multiplat games have been announced for PS4 already that would presumably be on the new Xbox, like Destiny.

RangerBAD

I'm guessing yes given the way he's presented in the trailer and his over all costuming. Nose matches up with young Ocelot in MGS3 too. I think there was a pic in the GDC thread.

Isn't it a little soon for him to have all white hair? He was younger than Big Boss. I mean I see the likeness, down to the coat, but this is Kojima we're talking about.

BadWolf

In a previous trailer for "Ground Zeroes", we had Big Boss talking about going to rescue Paz and Chico. Is that supposed to take place before or after his coma? Chico (if that was him in the cage?) looked like a kid.

Seems they attacked motherbase while BB was trying to rescue Chico and Paz, he then went back quickly to help Miller.

btw, don't you think post coma Big Boss look too young if 9 years have past? how old is he supposed to be? he looks like he hasn't aged a day since Ground Zeroes

Wait a second!

At the beginning of the trailer Miller (presumably) says "What about him?". The shaky camera tells that we are looking from a certain person's perspective, yet it is not Snake nor Miller.

So the question is?

There are definitely 3 people there. You can even see part of the gurney the third person is lying on, and one of the orderlies kind of turns their head to look at him when Miller asks "what about him"

metal-gear-solid-the-w6bmp.png

Wait a second!

So the question is?

Yeah, I noticed it too. I wonder what's up with that.

Emwitus

Going to guess that, most of the shit going on is a figment of Big bosses imagination, both him and the guy helping him have the same voice, fire version on Volgin for example.

I can see the overall topic being PTSD, it's current hot topic and most war games are going to include it their stories for a while.

The horror of war was the flavor of the month for the past year, next yeah its PTSD.

Yup. The guys in bandages even says'..."I'VE" Then changes to "WE"

SkylineRKR

Chico was most likely the boy in the cage, and he didn't look much older than in PW (I guess its sometime around 1979 as he had a walkman). So if this is true the coma has to take place after the mission.

Yawnier

Banned
btw, don't you think post coma Big Boss look too young if 9 years have past? how old is he supposed to be? he looks like he hasn't aged a day since Ground Zeroes

Big Boss was born in 1935, so if this game takes place around 1984/85 then he would be about 50 years old give or take a few years.

He looks about 50 years old here IMO.

RangerBAD

The digoxin could be the true culprit to his altered perception.

Top Bottom