• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V announced (PS360, open world)

duckroll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Pgt8armg0A

This is the Japanese trailer on Konami's channel. The most important detail I feel is that the trailer actually has a lyric translation for the Garbage song throughout the trailer, in Japanese, on the side. This clearly indicates that for this trailer in particular, the song was picked very deliberately by Kojima for the lyrics to go with the visuals. It works really well imo.

Also, I dunno if it has been mentioned (thread's huge), but the opening scene in the trailer with Big Boss going into a coma... is actually a first person scene from another character. Miller even addresses it at the end with "what about him?" Could the entire thing be a diversion? Are we not actually playing Big Boss?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's the thing on Snake's forehead, during that last segment? I've seen it a few times but can't figure out that it is. Kinda looks like a devilish horn, but that can't be right. :p

ipqwaOo4MaIKd.jpg

Looks like a piece of metal lodged into his skull

This is the Japanese trailer on Konami's channel. The most important detail I feel is that the trailer actually has a lyric translation for the Garbage song throughout the trailer, in Japanese, on the side. This clearly indicates that for this trailer in particular, the song was picked very deliberately by Kojima for the lyrics to go with the visuals. It works really well imo.

Also, I dunno if it has been mentioned (thread's huge), but the opening scene in the trailer with Big Boss going into a coma... is actually a first person scene from another character. Miller even addresses it at the end with "what about him?" Could the entire thing be a diversion? Are we not actually playing Big Boss?

It seems like we're seeing that first scene from the eyes of Ishmael. Then in the gameplay segment we have the "Who am I? I'm....I've been watching over you for 9 years"

Plus they both seem to be voiced by Kiefer. But Miller's dialogue makes it seem like Ishmael is a real person, though later in the gameplay trailer it could be argued that he's not really there at all

I can definitely see Microsoft demanding that multiplat next-gen games (at least a few of them, anyway) not be announced by their devs/publishers until after they officially reveal the next XBox. Don't want big games like this to only be equated with PS4 in peoples' minds for any amount of time.

Trailer was great.

Berek76

Looks like an exposed metal head plate to me.

If you look at the Phantom Pain part of the trailer you can see a strange bump under the bandages in the few moments we see Big Boss frontally.

I still think this is some kind of fragments of metal stuck in his head after the helicopter incident which is probably going to happen before Phantom pain part starts...

raven777

Was expecting Japanese VA so little disapointed.

Yea I noticed Miller's "what about him?" too. definitly third person next to Big Boss

curlycare

So from whose point of view are we watching in the beginning when they're doing CPR to Big Boss? Miller asks "And what about him" and peers over Boss.

Edit: Beaten

Laranja

If you look at the Phantom Pain part of the trailer you can see a strange bump under the bandages in the few moments we see Big Boss frontally.

I still think this is some kind of fragments of metal stuck in his head after the helicopter incident which is probably going to happen before Phantom pain part starts...

Oh, cool. I didn't notice the bump under the bandages, but that makes sense!

lulz

Sutherland is like the only voice actor on the planet they could have gotten to make me say "sorry Hayter."

Suddenly hyped just due to Keifer.

Kojima to use "The Phantom Pain" as a reason for Big Boss as a bad guy in MG1/2 confirmed.

Completely retconning this shit

Don

I'm guessing this has been talked about already but at the start when the doctors say that Big Boss has gone into a coma, Kaz then looks towards the camera and says "What about him?"

Any idea who he could be referring to?

Edit: Just realised that duckroll mentioned this on this page.

rikichi

dude, with the trench coat perhaps?

Vamphuntr

In a previous trailer for "Ground Zeroes", we had Big Boss talking about going to rescue Paz and Chico. Is that supposed to take place before or after his coma? Chico (if that was him in the cage?) looked like a kid.

RangerBAD

The Door's "People Are Strange" would have been a great choice.

I think Big Boss has a look-a-like in the game and it's not Solid Snake.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Okay, watching the gameplay again, that is definitely Kiefer doing both voices. Color me disappointed.

I have to say, this game seems to be a LOT darker than Peace Walker.. Peace Walker, while dealing with mature themes was fairly light-hearted at times. Building up Mother Base was really fun, like putting together your team of Pokemon in some ways.

Seeing it being decimated was crushing, it gave me chills and was very sad. I can only imagine the panic and shock that Snake would be going through. I can already see how he's finally becoming a really different character from Solid and becoming the chaotic evil Big Boss.

Top Bottom